Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

well guys archie just posted some pics from the first issue of worlds unite "aka sonic universe 76" so i'm posting them in the spoilers tab bellow

just a side note these pages seem to be from different sections of the issue so don't assume pages are in exact order

1470123_10153354875124525_89515419902598

11227036_10153354875134525_2417463970372

11011541_10153354875144525_8435177782467

well guys archie just posted some pics from the first issue of worlds unite "aka sonic universe 76" so i'm posting them in the spoilers tab bellow

just a side note these pages seem to be from different sections of the issue so don't assume pages are in exact order

1470123_10153354875124525_89515419902598

11227036_10153354875134525_2417463970372

11011541_10153354875144525_8435177782467

We've already seen those.

Who is the credits for that art. It's... not that good? It's mostly bland and uninteresting. I wouldn't say it's lifeless, but it's not very dynamic, and the inking is so thin and doesn't complement the artist at all. The paneling is mediocre, facial expressions have no variety, even the coloring isn't that great. Look at Page 2 and the 2 soldiers who are closest to Axel. Despite them both having different "attire" they are both colored exactly the same.

Take Page 3 as another example. It has Sonic repeating the exact same pose three times. The artist didn't bother to give any kind of feeling to how he is running, or the fact that he now scaling the side of the cliff, nor any indication that he did other than lazily laying a panel with him facing sideways. The whole thing is completely uninspiring. I haven't seen art like this in the book in a while.

People were knocking on James Fry a few pages back, but at least his art is very expressive and dynamic.

Sonic_272-5.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

Look at how much emotion Chip is displaying on just one page. He goes from worrying and antsy, to determination, to surprised, and then to giddy and hungry upon seeing the ice cream. And it's such a small details, but I also like how Sonic interacts with Chip, by booping him on the nose of all things as he give his speech of encouragement. You can easily tell that Sonic is saying all of this because he doesn't believe a word Chip was saying earlier, so he brushes him off this way by not just telling him, but also showing him how silly his reasoning was. It all give life to the page and it's very interesting to not just read what's happening, but to see what's going on as well.

Compare this to, I suppose the Elecman and Mega Man scene and how they are both interacting with the same object. They are supposed to give that machine some electricity but they are both just stiffly standing there, with no real indication that they are expelling energy onto the machine other than the coloring telling you that electricity is flying around. It looks as boring as it does because the artist failed to make it look interesting.

I'm gonna stop ranting here, but i'm just really disappointed that this was the artists they chose to work on the crossover. This is the art they chose that's going to expose to a lot of new readers to the book? I'm just utterly baffled but Archie's decision.

Edited by Illuminous_Orb
  • Thumbs Up 3

Forgive me if I misspell his name, but it's 'Dapper' Dan Shoening, the man most known for illustrating IDW's Ghostbuster comics.

His art is slightly off model, but I think it's servicable. Especially since, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time he's drawn anything Sonic OR Mega Man.

Forgive me if I misspell his name, but it's 'Dapper' Dan Shoening, the man most known for illustrating IDW's Ghostbuster comics.

His art is slightly off model, but I think it's servicable. Especially since, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time he's drawn anything Sonic OR Mega Man.

I think it'll improve as we move along the issues.  It's pretty obvious he's still trying to get a feel for the design.

So this is a thing.

SONIC COMICS SPECTACULAR: SPEED OF SOUND collects 352 pages of hand-picked, favorite stories from the action-packed, character-rich universe of Sonic the Hedgehog in a high-quality, low cost format.

Sonic the Hedgehog isn't just the fastest running hero around--he's the longest running too! From killer robots, to mad scientists, to evil wizards--Sonic's overcome them all! He's traveled the world at super sonic speed! For every villain he's faced, there's a friend he's made! Sonic is simply the coolest hedgehog there is!

SONIC COMICS SPECTACULAR: SPEED OF SOUND is a collection of some of Sonic's greatest adventures! You'll be racing right along with Sonic through over three hundred fifty pages of pure action, adventure and fun!

Whether you're new to all of Sonic's awesome adventures, or a long-time fan reliving the magic, this is the end-all be-all collection for you!

• Thumbs Up 2

So more or less, Best of Sonic Ultimate Collection Volume 2?

Meh, stories will probably be all from the reboot era.

How is a screencap of somebody asking the question a confirmation of anything?

Because of Ian's answer underneath? Is it not showing up on some monitors? Here it is from Ian's Twiiter.

Hope was Bollers' character. We already knew that Bollers said the copyright for his stuff lay with him, which is why it's only more confirmation, not new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Darn, there goes Snively's morality pet. Who created her, anyway?

According to Comic Vine, Karl Bollers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Karl Bollers. So she was always in the same boat as Mina Mingoose.

And even if she was still around and she could still be related to Snively, she could never be Eggman's niece again.

I thought it was a given Hope was gone right at the start of the revoot? So that isn't much of an update than it is making the obvious more clear.

Hope's been confirmed dead even more fully

Scourge and Shard is now the technical term for dead ass dead.

I fucking hate you Ken Penders, nay lothe your existance with every fiber of my being.

I really hope that fucking dumb luck of yours dies out one of these days and you meet retribution for all the hell you have given us.

I thought it was a given Hope was gone right at the start of the revoot? So that isn't much of an update than it is making the obvious more clear.

That's what I said!

... internet seems to have crashed while I was posting.

Schlemmer was redesigned by Ian and Adam Bryce, explaining why any drop of cartoonishness was drained :V

Nuts. Hope too? :(

Anyway, has anyone seen this? Rafa Knight has made a Scourge model!

official___scourge_the_hedgehog_by_elesi

What could possibly go wrong?

• Thumbs Up 5

Nuts. Hope too? :(

Anyway, has anyone seen this? Rafa Knight has made a Scourge model!

official___scourge_the_hedgehog_by_elesi

What could possibly go wrong?

ohh yeah! its kinda sad.. because as Rafa Knight posted for the Title of this picture.. "Official Model", and some people got confused,  they though he was going to come back....

but maybe they don't know this Model was used here:

BoStH_Rivals_cover.jpg

i found funny that Scourge was choosed as Rival.. i though he was pretty much like a villain.. :lol:

i will miss Hope too...

So, I got Boom #7, Sonic #272, and Universe #75 today

I did rather enjoy Sonic #272 with the jokes and humor between Sonic and Antoine as they search for the first Gaia tower but one massive thing stuck out for me.

A lot of people were worried that Knuckles may get worse since a lot of what made up his Archie version was taken up by Penderp. But after reading this issue I can easily say that this Knuckles is the best version of him yet. Even better than pre-reboot Archie, his game counterpart, his Boom version and all the others.

The way Knuckles can be seriously, funny, and downright silly in the post-reboot is brilliant. My absolute favourites being when Werehog Sonic says hitting it works as a plan and Knuckles replies with a smile that he likes this new version of Sonic better than the original. Then there's when Amy tells Sonic that she's going with Knuckles to help track down the emerald shards, resulting in Sonic getting jealous and Knuckles telling him ''Wassamatter Shaggy, jealous?'' only for Sonic to reply ''Do NOT even start with me''. 

I was enjoying the reboot a lot but this has made it even better. Without all the stupid baggage given to him by Ken Penders, it's so great to see this Knuckles who can be serious but can also be carefree and relax with his friends.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, Knuckles has really started to strut his stuff since Total Eclipse. I guess he just had a bad start with so many powerful personalities pushing him down.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I got Boom #7, Sonic #272, and Universe #75 today

I did rather enjoy Sonic #272 with the jokes and humor between Sonic and Antoine as they search for the first Gaia tower but one massive thing stuck out for me.

A lot of people were worried that Knuckles may get worse since a lot of what made up his Archie version was taken up by Penderp. But after reading this issue I can easily say that this Knuckles is the best version of him yet. Even better than pre-reboot Archie, his game counterpart, his Boom version and all the others.

The way Knuckles can be seriously, funny, and downright silly in the post-reboot is brilliant. My absolute favourites being when Werehog Sonic says hitting it works as a plan and Knuckles replies with a smile that he likes this new version of Sonic better than the original. Then there's when Amy tells Sonic that she's going with Knuckles to help track down the emerald shards, resulting in Sonic getting jealous and Knuckles telling him ''Wassamatter Shaggy, jealous?'' only for Sonic to reply ''Do NOT even start with me''. 

I was enjoying the reboot a lot but this has made it even better. Without all the stupid baggage given to him by Ken Penders, it's so great to see this Knuckles who can be serious but can also be carefree and relax with his friends.

Yeah, I've been enjoying this Knuckles a lot.