Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Hats off to you Panda.  Only April Fools joke I darn near fell for.  Had to read it twice to know it was a gag! :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like that licensing thing is taking effect here in Australia because the folks who post my comics can no longer post my sonic comics due to said licensing things. *sulks*

Oh and one little tidbit that I forgot to mention in the April Fools fuss; we're probably not going to see Darkspine Sonic.

And nothing of value was lost.

No really. What would be the point of it ever coming back.

More importantly, how would the Darkspine form come back? I'm pretty sure he needed the World Rings for that, and they don't even exist in Sonic's own universe.

Technically, the form/macguffins wouldn't need to have the same origin. In Unleashed, the Werehog is a plain curse that got to Sonic because draining the Emeralds happened to give him Dark Gaia energy unbeknowingly. In the comic, Sonic breathed some gas...which hasn't been explained as to its origin yet...and it didn't become a night curse until he got pushed too much emotionally, and game Sonic didn't need any time to control said curse because he's too cool for that.

That said, it'd be pretty redundant anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh and one little tidbit that I forgot to mention in the April Fools fuss; we're probably not going to see Darkspine Sonic.

Technically, the form/macguffins wouldn't need to have the same origin. In Unleashed, the Werehog is a plain curse that got to Sonic because draining the Emeralds happened to give him Dark Gaia energy unbeknowingly. In the comic, Sonic breathed some gas...which hasn't been explained as to its origin yet...and it didn't become a night curse until he got pushed too much emotionally, and game Sonic didn't need any time to control said curse because he's too cool for that.

That said, it'd be pretty redundant anyway.

Being fair, the gas Sonic has breathed in does have an origin from the original Unleashed. It's the gas released whenever Sonic defeats one of the Dark Gaia enemies, here, I just assumed that Dark Gaia had a bunch of the same gas under Mobius and when Eggman's SGW cracked open Mobius, the gas and the Dark Gaia enemies began to leak out.

More importantly, how would the Darkspine form come back? I'm pretty sure he needed the World Rings for that, and they don't even exist in Sonic's own universe.

They could rebuild the multi-verse into something that would allow World Rings to be brought in.

Simplistic as hell, and probably won't happen anyway due to Darkspine's confirmation, but that could be one way to make it plausible.

The other way would be have someone muck up the digital world and create a Storybook setting, but that's just taking the imagination too far. Just an idea tho.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually don't really care about Darkspine not showing up in the comic. I mean, I've never had a great need to see him show up. Like someone said already, you'd have to work in the World Rings from the Arabian Nights somehow and perfectly fine with Super Sonic being Sonic's main Super form that only appears during big climatic fights the comic occasionally has anyway. Don't necessarily need Darkspine for that unless he's going to fight Alf-Wayla-Wa-Layla (or however it's spelled). Excalibur's probably in the same boat too since he's another Storybook 'Super' form.

Besides Darkspine's too good for the comic anyway. :P

That was really cool of Sonic to offer to throw the fight to give Knuckles more time to fix the M.E. Even after all the misunderstandings they've had, Sonic's willing to look out for Knux, even if it means delaying his own quest.

• Thumbs Up 1

It says in the credits, Ryan Jampole helped with the art.  Erm, no offense to the guy, but he must've made some pretty faint lines for Diana's style to practically dominate the pages.  I actually read through the preview without reading who drew it and assumed she'd done it all by herself.  Maybe he only chipped in to lessen the heap of work she had to do?

Art aside, really liking Sonic here for being so willing to help Knuckles save his island.  Nice to see they can be good friends as well as bantering rivals all the time.  Kind of refreshing.

It says in the credits, Ryan Jampole helped with the art.  Erm, no offense to the guy, but he must've made some pretty faint lines for Diana's style to practically dominate the pages.  I actually read through the preview without reading who drew it and assumed she'd done it all by herself.  Maybe he only chipped in to lessen the heap of work she had to do?

Art aside, really liking Sonic here for being so willing to help Knuckles save his island.  Nice to see they can be good friends as well as bantering rivals all the time.  Kind of refreshing.

He probably did breakdowns to help get the issue out the door and Diana Skelley finished it. They seem to do this quite a bit lately, such as Yardley handling layouts for some issues that are penciled by Evan Stanley or Lamar Wells, or Jampole doing breakdowns for some issues of Boom while someone else finishes them. That or the penciling is going to switch halfway through the issue, which has happened, but not as frequently (#267 which had pages by both Jamal Peppers and Stanley comes to mind).

Agreed, I liked seeing Sonic show concern for Knuckles and his Island, even considering throwing the fight just to help him out. I also love that Knuckles can't turn down a chance to tussle with Sonic, since they're both going to work things out to make sure Angel Island doesn't fall while restoring the planet anyway. Flynn does an excellent job with the Fighting Buddies. Also cool seeing the little game flashbacks, giving them some context in this world.

He probably did breakdowns to help get the issue out the door and Diana Skelley finished it. They seem to do this quite a bit lately, such as Yardley handling layouts for some issues that are penciled by Evan Stanley or Lamar Wells, or Jampole doing breakdowns for some issues of Boom while someone else finishes them. That or the penciling is going to switch halfway through the issue, which has happened, but not as frequently (#265 which had pages by both Jamal Peppers and Stanley comes to mind).

Agreed, I liked seeing Sonic show concern for Knuckles and his Island, even considering throwing the fight just to help him out. I also love that Knuckles can't turn down a chance to tussle with Sonic, since they're both going to work things out to make sure Angel Island doesn't fall while restoring the planet anyway. Flynn does an excellent job with the Fighting Buddies. Also cool seeing the little game flashbacks, giving them some context in this world.

I'm sort of hoping he simply did breakdowns.  I just don't think his style suits Sonic very well after seeing his work on Waves of Change.  He's excellent with Mega Man and I feel editorial should let him stay with Mega Man.

Frankly, I've loved these little flashback panels.  Particularly the one with Emerl in this one.  And I think you're right, Ian knows how to handle competitive relationships pretty well.  It's these moments between Sonic & Knuckles that make me realise how far they've come from punching each other in the face on sight in the old days.

Previews for #271 are here and I like how the S6 are acting

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/sonic-the-hedgehog-271-archie-comics-2015

Perhaps it's just me having a bit of a soft spot for its story, but I really how they referenced the events of Sonic Battle here. It's details like that that helps make the world here feels more... complete, I think.

Looking at credits, are you sure this isn't actually another case of the artists switching halfway through the story?

In the past they've always listed layouts and finishes separately from each other, but this one lists both Ryan and Diana under pencils, with no mention of there being layouts.

Concerning Jampole, I notice the battle panels are a bit more solid and less exaggerated than Skelley's usual, perhaps he helped with the proportioning on those.

The preview looks good so far, a neat battle sequence that does a decent job with the two's rivalry. Fang's taking his sweet time though.....

The S6 have their first developed interaction in the arc and it's pretty good. Still not sure about those designs though. I mean I get they wanted to make them more like their games counterparts but they don't gel as good with their personalities. Grounder's dumbness doesn't work so great without proper expressions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Concerning Jampole, I notice the battle panels are a bit more solid and less exaggerated than Skelley's usual, perhaps he helped with the proportioning on those.

The preview looks good so far, a neat battle sequence that does a decent job with the two's rivalry. Fang's taking his sweet time though.....

The S6 have their first developed interaction in the arc and it's pretty good. Still not sure about those designs though. I mean I get they wanted to make them more like their games counterparts but they don't gel as good with their personalities. Grounder's dumbness doesn't work so great without proper expressions.

Looking back at the panels, I see what you mean.  Plus there's Neruffle here confirming it :P

Maybe Fang's struggling to get a lock on the zippy fighters?  Makes some sense.

And I can somewhat agree with you on the S6 designs.  There're all right, but I still prefer their old ones.  The only one I think has sort of improved is Scratch because he looks more robotic and I like the sharp edges added to him.