Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Hmmm.... judging by your sig, I sense other motives in play when it comes to your opinion on how she'd be adapted IF that was ever going to happen.

And in any case... I don't believe I've heard any cries of outrage over the comic's take on Breezie, despite her not being a robot n all.

Hmmm.... judging by your sig, I sense other motives in play when it comes to your opinion on how she'd be adapted IF that was ever going to happen.

And in any case... I don't believe I've heard any cries of outrage over the comic's take on Breezie, despite her not being a robot n all.

Now then that's pretty much purely in jest.

Really, all that you need to do to write a Katella piece for Archie is to just have her come to Earth to collect animals for fun and profit. Have her come across some maguffin, lead into a romp across the planet during which she may or may not try and have a fling with Eggman and then have a final confrontation in which she loses said maguffin and leaves Earth. There, fun two or three parter adventure yarn, fans of an old character appeased, and no needlessly convoluted background story of having her a ongoing character, just a good old bit of adventure and mischief.

What other motives? He's already explicitly said he likes the character and thus would prefer the character to be written as a continuation of the same character rather than as a Katella skin in another character :P How does having a joke sig about Katella change his argument or give it ulterior motives?

Let me clarify. By 'other motives', I mean the sig greatly implies she was his fave one-off character on the show. And I've seen plenty of people get kinda possessive over their fave characters in other fandoms. The bizarre Zeke-cult in the Total Drama series (for however good you think of it anyways...) for example.

No, I've heard a bit of negativity over it.

Huh, well I'm not that surprised. I don't usually check out other Sonic boards, but I don't recall seeing much backlash from Breezie's changes here, which means I either forgot it or it was lost in the forum hiccup that I didn't get a chance to see.

Would she? She was very much a foreigner in AoSTH too. It was kinda the point, she was completely outside the frame of reference for the characters, an alien hunter who suddenly appears and is even more powerful than Eggman.Don't see why that has to change at all in a setting where we have Black Arms and Wisps.

Whether it changes is up to them. I'm just throwing out other ideas where she can fit if they decide to make her part of this world, because as I said I'm not stiff on them making changes like that.

What's wrong with her being a bounty hunter?

I take it you just skimmed over the initial post where that was actually one of the ideas? It was right there when I started talking about her.

Why change her from a free-roamer to someone who has to work for Eggman, even if it's for some grand-scheme? What's wrong with just having a good old fashioned one-shot character?

Because it be more interesting? And I would rather her stick around longer than one-shot, which I is one of the few things I absolutely hate in fiction when it comes to interesting characters I think could have more going for them as it's simply a waste of a character to me.

Forget it, it's going to be another character who will supplant the old version regardless of how well it gets adapted because Flynn certainly doesn't care about Katella.

I'm cool with that. Tho I disagree with it supplanting the original like that.

You're okay with a character being written by someone who doesn't care about them?

Because it be more interesting? And I would rather her stick around longer than one-shot, which I is one of the few things I absolutely hate in fiction when it comes to interesting characters I think could have more going for them as it's simply a waste of a character to me.

Well then don't have a one shot but don't have her frequently appearing, just keep her away from the political fudgery of Sonic's world. She's a strong woman who don't need to work for no Eggman unless it's in her interest.

You're okay with a character being written by someone who doesn't care about them?

but.. that is Iann's opinion about that show.. that doesn't mean; by example if he doesn't care about umm.. Brezzie..that he is not going to write her in a NEW interesting way.....he as been making a good use with these characters anyway..

besides is not like Katella is going to be so needed.. Eggman already has his bounty hunters.. he has Team Hooligan for that.

and he also has his minions.. the egg bosses like Thunderbolt, Cassia and clove,Axel the buffalo, Tundra the walrus...etc..etc

and if Katella goes by her own interests.. well...there is other villains as The Deadly six and Battle Bird Armada  who have alsoe their own interests.. plus Docta Wawhee (Willy XD) also can be a nuisance for Eggman's plans..

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure Breezie is going to be revealed as a robot in part 4 of the Champions arc. Fake backstory + love interest of Metal Sonic = twist end.

I can't say I agree on the Katella issue. While some people may not think so, I believe aosth is a great show with tons of thought put behind it.

I think it'd be a disservice to aosth fans to simply reprise her role from the cartoon with no changes. As with any character, there is only once chance to implement them right, and if no changes are made in a short sighted attempt to impossibly recapture the old, that would squander the potential of a compelling and interesting character like Katella for the future.

Breezie is a good example, of course there are people who don't like how she's been changed, there are always people who dislike change. But taking her in a bold new direction has added lifeblood to her character and been an asset to the comic. Sure, they could've just made an original character to fill the role, but its self evident how including her brought lots of hype and goodwill to a comic that needs it.

As for fears that the new will replace the old? I think I've seen more classic Breezie fanart been made in the last few months than ever. Instead of getting forgotten, being in the comic exposes these characters to new people and helps remind that aosth existed beyond youtube memes.

• Thumbs Up 3

While I agree with your sentiment, I personally disagree with your idea of changing a character for the sake of it. It's far better to build upon an existing character because otherwise it would not have the same charm that made one love the original. I'd rather see stuff be improved than radically changed.

As for fears that the new will replace the old? I think I've seen more classic Breezie fanart been made in the last few months than ever. Instead of getting forgotten, being in the comic exposes these characters to new people and helps remind that aosth existed beyond youtube memes.

Well to be fair, a lot of those were requests by yours truly. Also, I've not seen that much of an increase in respect or interest in AoStH where I've been.

I would rather say it's a necessary change than a change for the sake of it.

Honestly, if it were truly possible to implant Katella unchanged into the comic, I'd say screw the risks and just do it. But that's simply not something that can be done. Even if she looked exactly the same, and tried to act just like in aosth, the world around her is different in a way that would radically re-contextualize the character. Ignoring that, even the change from animation to comic and the absence of voice actors significantly changes the interpretation of a character. Take the offical Samurai Jack comic, I like it very much but without Mako Iwamatsu voicing Aku it's delivering something noticeably different to me than the cartoon version. It's still good though, and without it the Samurai Jack universe would have nothing going on.

I believe you're neglecting that while Katella is already an existing character, she is not a pre-existing character in the comic so there's nothing to build upon. It'd be a fresh start, and you might find change could be an improvement you really like.

I don't think it brought a lot of hype to be honest. It's just that the few who recognise her were like 'hey, Breezie' and everyone else just saw her as a new character anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would rather say it's a necessary change than a change for the sake of it.

Honestly, if it were truly possible to implant Katella unchanged into the comic, I'd say screw the risks and just do it. But that's simply not something that can be done. Even if she looked exactly the same, and tried to act just like in aosth, the world around her is different in a way that would radically re-contextualize the character. Ignoring that, even the change from animation to comic and the absence of voice actors significantly changes the interpretation of a character. Take the offical Samurai Jack comic, I like it very much but without Mako Iwamatsu voicing Aku it's delivering something noticeably different to me than the cartoon version. It's still good though, and without it the Samurai Jack universe would have nothing going on.

I believe you're neglecting that while Katella is already an existing character, she is not a pre-existing character in the comic so there's nothing to build upon. It'd be a fresh start, and you might find change could be an improvement you really like.

I don't think idle threats like that help any aosth character get in in any capacity.

I don't think it brought a lot of hype to be honest. It's just that the few who recognise her were like 'hey, Breezie' and everyone else just saw her as a new character anyway.

So long as they can deliver something I think is worthwhile and interesting out of it, yeah.

It says a lot about someone that they don't care about something, yet are okay with giving it to people anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't bother at all.

Well then don't have a one shot but don't have her frequently appearing, just keep her away from the political fudgery of Sonic's world. She's a strong woman who don't need to work for no Eggman unless it's in her interest.

Or we can let her appear as much as they want within the plots they have outline and write her in a way that can work whether she in the political fudgery or not. I'm more interested in how the character performs overall than her frequency of appearance and what she is or isn't in.

Outside of the fandom sure, I think the same people didn't know Honey the Cat was a character from Sonic the Fighters either.

But I certainly saw plenty of people hyped for both online, these sort of things are done for the established fans.

100% in agreement there. When you push characters like Breezie, or bring back gals like Honey, you're not doing that with the intend to appeal to the masses. Its done to garnish a touch of nostalgia and excitement from the fans who already knew about those characters from back in the day.

Now if you can build those guys up into something nice and helpful to the narrative (considering we just lost a massive trove of furry villainous types, god knows we could use Breezie's brand of conniving), then thats a bonus to the readers outside the loop. But when you decide to hit the nostalga nerve with a sledgehammer, those newbies are the last guys your worried about.

• Thumbs Up 4

So long as they can deliver something I think is worthwhile and interesting out of it, yeah.

It says a lot about someone that they don't care about something, yet are okay with giving it to people anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't bother at all.

Or they just want to appeal to nostalgia in a cheap manner.

I bet you don't even know what music she plays on her record player ;)

Or they just want to appeal to nostalgia in a cheap manner.

Despite how everything else about the comic is loaded with nostalgia? That sounds like you're turning it into an unintended personal slight, because not everyone who is a fan of the old cartoons is going to see it that way.

I bet you don't even know what music she plays on her record player ;)

I Can't say I remember given how it's been ages since I've seen the show.

I could simply just look it up, but this is important how?

Why? Because I give a damn, that's why, and I like my AoStH and I like my Katella. That's why, and I don't want to see it botched with some bait and switch.

Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts and Wes were more or less nailed down perfectly and felt true to their cartoon forms. That is what I want, and frankly, doing it that way hurts no-one, if you want to make a brand new character, do it. Don't just take an old name and slap it on willy-nilly just because some casuals will buy it.

Why? Because I give a damn, that's why, and I like my AoStH and I like my Katella. That's why, and I don't want to see it botched with some bait and switch.

And I don't because I don't remember what she was playing on her record player?

Dude, you're coming off as really self-absorbed here. You're not the only one who cares about characters from the old cartoons. This entire forum is filled with people who enjoyed AoStH, many of whom didn't mind characters like Breezie being adjusted to fit in this setting compared to how she originally was in the cartoons.

And no one here wants them to botch any of the characters in the comic up regardless of where they came from - it says a lot that many of us trust the comics much more than the games regarding how they write the characters.

Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts and Wes were more or less nailed down perfectly and felt true to their cartoon forms. That is what I want, and frankly, doing it that way hurts no-one, if you want to make a brand new character, do it. Don't just take an old name and slap it on willy-nilly just because some casuals will buy it.

And I and many others simply want an interesting character in a narrative and think Katella has many great places to fit should the writers choose to put her in. If they change her up a bit from her source, that's fine so long as it's interesting and well done, and if they can keep her mostly the same, that's fine too. Because as I said before, I'm not rigid over how they do it, because I understand that as this is an alternate setting it's going to have some alternate rules and changes that go with it.

Now, I'm sorry if they bring her back and they way they go about it doesn't please you, but you're not the only person reading this comic nor are you the only one who's input should matter.

I'm a long time fan of this comic since before this had a reboot, so how the hell do you think I feel that I lost damn near EVERYTHING from the old setting before the Second Genesis Wave erased them? I've lost favorites like Lien-da, Enerjak, the Iron Queen, Shard, tons of history and backstory, and lots of interesting concepts that won't ever get to see an official light of day in the comic ever again.

Your case wouldn't be anything unique as people in my place have plenty of grievances over what was lost. But do you see us complaining about this new setting essentially replacing all of that? Quite the opposite for the most part, many of us upset with that lost are actually enjoying this new setting despite the cost we never wanted to sacrifice to have. And i for one welcome more additions to it, such as Katella given all the other stuff we've been given.

But if what they do to your favorites upsets you, well all I can say is I'm sorry. They can't please everyone, but I'd rather find something to enjoy out of it and judge it on it's performance than its differences if there are any regardless. And it's entirely up to you whether you choose to find something to like in the changes or be unhappy about it, but don't go mocking those of us who are welcome to such differences being done as doing so casuals can buy it, because you know full and well that isn't the case.

• Thumbs Up 3

On the topic of introducing some more of the AoStH or SatAM characters in, I'll agree with Katella being a cool addition. Not because I'm familiar with the character mind you (never really got into AoStH like that), but because I'm a fan of Kraven the Hunter style villains which she fits the bill from my understanding of her anyway. I'll add in Griff from SatAM as a potential Geoffrey substitute but the likeliness of either of them or anyone else from SatAM or AoStH seems slim based on Flynn's words.

• Thumbs Up 2

"And I don't because I don't remember what she was playing on her record player?"

I was merely being facetious on that part, old boy.

It's Beethoven's 8th, first movement by the way

On the topic of introducing some more of the AoStH or SatAM characters in, I'll agree with Katella being a cool addition. Not because I'm familiar with the character mind you (never really got into AoStH like that), but because I'm a fan of Kraven the Hunter style villains which she fits the bill from my understanding of her anyway. I'll add in Griff from SatAM as a potential Geoffrey substitute but the likeliness of either of them or anyone else from SatAM or AoStH seems slim based on Flynn's words.

Yeah, she'd work well in that regard, much better than an Egg Boss.

My number one AoStH character(s) to return are Da Bears.

They could be part of an Efrika Freedom Fighter group or something. Or they could be part whatever group is made to fill the void left by the Sandblasters.

• Thumbs Up 3

My number one AoStH character(s) to return are Da Bears.

They could be part of an Efrika Freedom Fighter group or something. Or they could be part whatever group is made to fill the void left by the Sandblasters.

Now that is a notion I can get behind, except for one thing, they really should be from wherever Michigan is in Sonic's world, seeing as their shtick is being from Chicago.