Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Yeah that is true sadly, Sega always scrapping their potential characters or messing up characters Origins, mainly with Blaze.

At least with Blaze they finally settled with the Sonic Rush series being her debut game, but I don't know were the heck they gonna placed Dr. Nega at.

He said this much;

MightyRaya_zps69fcab4e.png

It's very true.

So I'm guessing Mighty and Ray were the characters cut from his cover...?

Well, I hope they aren't eliminated entirely. There's no reason for them not to be in the series, even just as supporting characters, even if they are no longer allied with Knuckles or the Chaotix. If the Freedom Fighters can survive the reality shift (because, really, they could've just as easily killed them off too), I don't see why characters actually created by SEGA can't.

So I guess it's safe to say the Chaotix have been retconned to their "Another Time and Place"/"Worlds Collide" personas (a.k.a. "the games") too?

Perhaps they should do the re-release of Knuckles Chaotix people have been requesting for years. Then Mighty might not clash with the Chaotix team as much, since the people new to the franchise or comics may only know the newer Vector/Espio/Charmy trio.

Ray made a nice addition in the comics but yeah he doesn't really belong to the Chaotix game continuity wise. I wonder if they would go back to the Sega Sonic Arcade backstory for them perhaps? Mighty being Sonic's longtime friend might clash with Tails a bit tho. Maybe Mighty and Ray will continue being a duo, a team in and of themselves. Mighty and Ray being like an alternate Sonic and Tails type team worked pretty well in the previous comics.

I agree they need to get to the other major players first, but Mando asked what or who we wanted to see and that's what I was personally interested in. You gota admit Nack in particular had been AWOL since TTT, he's gota be up to something surely. Considering he is one of the few anthros who have one upped Sonic and crew multiple times without needing super speed or other abilities, just plain cunning, he has always been one of my favorite baddies :)

Edited by Tenko

Mighty never belang with the Chaotix game-continuity-wise either. Game-continuity-wise Chaotix never even happened, but even if it did and you want to join it with Heroes, in Chaotix they were just a band of guys getting together because of circumstances, of which only three kept along as a group and opened a detective agency.

I doubt Mighty and Ray were ones removed from the cover. I mean, they're still in the comic series according to Ian. Tyson just probably meant exactly what he said, and that implies what I said; their roles would be different.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I double dare Archie to put Wendy Witchcart from Tails Skypatrol into the comic in some way, shape or form. After seeing how awesome they made the Battle Bird Armada I would love to see what they could possibly do to make her threatening haha. Or a Sonic Labyrinth arc. What? Don't look at me like that!

If they can do a story about Sonic Dash or Sonic Jump, or put the Black Arms into the comic then they can do some of the older random crap too >.<

• Thumbs Up 1

I double dare Archie to put Wendy Witchcart from Tails Skypatrol into the comic in some way, shape or form. After seeing how awesome they made the Battle Bird Armada I would love to see what they could possibly do to make her threatening haha. Or a Sonic Labyrinth arc. What? Don't look at me like that!

If they can do a story about Sonic Dash or Sonic Jump, or put the Black Arms into the comic then they can do some of the older random crap too >.<

I would love to see how they handle a Labyrinth story tongue.png   In fact this subtle reboot's a great chance for new adaptions from games, regardless how good the games were.  The comic's been proven to make even the smallest and least known Sonic game's stories to be rather good.

How exactly does

Blaze transport them back home? "Sol" Control or a worm hole or what?

She says that since the Sol Emeralds brought them there, they can send them back. Then she uses their energy to send them away in blue flames.

The truth of the off-Panel. From kureeijilea's DeviantART.

Sooo I don't want to get too "explaining the joke" here but apparently some people are mad because they took this strip as a dig against their favourite character and/or pairing, and that makes me sad because that was pretty much the opposite of my intention here. The idea is more that Blaze is annoyed that she's being portrayed as the typical fantasy magic-princess-who-has-to-be-rescued-by-her-true-love sort of thing. I don't really care about shipping or whatever here, but I do know that there are a lot of people who like the idea of Silver and Blaze as a couple. However, as they've never actually interacted or even met in the comics proper, I thought making Silver the "romantic prince" type here to Blaze's "fairytale princess" would be cute for those who like that pairing. Plus, adorkable Silver as this super suave prince-captain is fun. So much for that, I guess.

Big versions of all the covers, if you want them. (spoilered for size).

sonic258a.jpg

sonic258b.jpg

sonicuniverse61a.jpg

sonicuniverse61b.jpg

sonicsuper6.jpg

Highlights include mutant green thing under Sonic's arm, a proper study of Eclipse anatomy, and magenta-pink being present on Bunnie's tail for some reason. 

Mutant green thing is Jet the Hawk...I think...

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

When did Jet become such a big bad worth showing up in specials and on covers etc? He's been in what two arcs? And umm...three from memory, average games and one horrible one, and all side games at that. The modern characters seem to get free passes just cause they have been in a game or two yet old characters with the same prominence or overall relevance to the series get squat. That's always irritated me a bit to be honest. Not going to get into it heavily but that's one of the gripes I have with Silver really.

Edited by Tenko

Jet is used in merchandising a fair bit, and is the co-star of a game spin-off branch that newer readers probably know about. That at the very least covers why. 

Don't get me wrong, Archie including him in the Battle Bird Armada arc and having them all be the same ilk was genius and made it really interesting. I didn't even mind Riders that much, was pretty fun before ASR stole its thunder. I just never saw the fairness in (at the time) one or two game wonders suddenly becoming main cast and being heavily promoted.

From an advertising for current products stand point I can see why, I get that. But as an overall picture, heavily promoting a side character with next to no point or influence on the main series as a whole I never understood, especially when they never did it in the past and go so far as to disavow the old side characters even after re-releasing their old games. Or including facts/pictures/info on them in compilations etc. when one would assume they are in the same boat apart from not being "modern".

But anyway, enough of gripes, I wonder of him being there means the Battle Bird Armada will be back too? They were pretty awesome.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how this new universe goes, but since they're game characters it's probable.

I did finally get my issue in the mail. Strange you guys all got your issue a few days before me.

It was a rather easy fight they put on that final fight with Captain Metal, though it would seem once again, people can't for the life of them finally kill someone. Shadow failed to fully kill this guy and now Blaze can't do it either? For goodness sakes you heroes, would you actually finish someone off instead of just leaving it to assumptions? ^^; That's one reason I somewhat don't classify myself as the goodie goodie hero type in that I think the bad guy should suffer and go away instead of always being thrown in jail or whatever like Sonic likes to do.

As for some of the other things being mentioned around here, I'm not sure why Ray and Mighty couldn't stick around. If we must stick to the boring game universe, then either find a way to work them back into their old roles, or as someone else mentioned, just have them be another version of Sonic and Tails and be their own team. I see no reason for them to not be included in this.

I still am very cautious about this universe, because if we are going to be such sticklers to the video game universe, pretty much I feel this comic's stories are going to be rather drab and predictable and not have a lot of characters, which was the whole point of me liking the comics in the first place.

Meh, can't discuss it fully yet since I haven't seen full spoilers or read the issue.

So instead Ian doesn't actually know what Scourge's current legal state is, but he's not looking into it now because it isn't a pressing issue now. This is backed up by how he said that Scourge wasn't planned for the near future a while back.

Although he and Fiona appear in some of the adverts in the just-released Digest #5. I don't know what the circumstances are for that though.  

i still find it pure BS that he owns evil sonic/scourge who is literally sonic in a leather jacket and sunglasses 

Edit: ok since he made an anti-version of an already established character whats stopping Archie from making Anti-versions of his characters? I hope he thought about that

i still find it pure BS that he owns evil sonic/scourge who is literally sonic in a leather jacket and sunglasses 

Edit: ok since he made an anti-version of an already established character whats stopping Archie from making Anti-versions of his characters? I hope he thought about that

He thought Shade was a wholesale rip-off of Julie-Su (I haven't played Chronicles, but I understand she was at least "inspired by" but not a direct rip-off). He would likely start another idiotic crusade while hiding behind "creators' rights."

He thought Shade was a wholesale rip-off of Julie-Su (I haven't played Chronicles, but I understand she was at least "inspired by" but not a direct rip-off). He would likely start another idiotic crusade while hiding behind "creators' rights."

You would have thought he would have realized doing that and all this in the first place is going to hurt his chances of doing a lot of the things he had planned to do in the first place. The more he messes with these people, the fewer people are going to want to see his products in the long run. I've heard before that even if he does release some of the stuff he has planned, that there is some kind of campaign out there to try and rip it off as much as possible so he doesn't get as much money as possible from the things he does. Not sure how true that is, but with how so many people are mad at this guy, it doesn't sound farfetched. Either way, he should know this is doing nothing but killing his reputation.

You would have thought he would have realized doing that and all this in the first place is going to hurt his chances of doing a lot of the things he had planned to do in the first place. The more he messes with these people, the fewer people are going to want to see his products in the long run. I've heard before that even if he does release some of the stuff he has planned, that there is some kind of campaign out there to try and rip it off as much as possible so he doesn't get as much money as possible from the things he does. Not sure how true that is, but with how so many people are mad at this guy, it doesn't sound farfetched. Either way, he should know this is doing nothing but killing his reputation.

I really don't think he cares. Like, at all. In his mind, he's already a success simply because the Archie case was dismissed and his rights are secured. Going ahead with licensing deals and talking about merchandising before anyone's even seen anything but a teased script and terrible promotional artwork. But someone's interested in working with him, and in his tiny little world, that's all that matters. People aren't happy with him and his actions, and have offered everything from pure hate to genuine criticism, and he's aware of it all, but Penders just doesn't seem to care.

I hadn't really heard about this so-called campaign though. I guess I wouldn't be surprised, but I figure instead of giving him the attention, even if it's through pirating his works, it's easier to just ignore him. This whole mess has generated A LOT of attention for him already, and none of it is very good from what I can see (outside that little microcosm that is Ken Penders's forums, anyway). His successes will be modest at best, but his reputation is already damaged amongst anyone this project of his might've appealed to. And while I certainly wouldn't pay to read this comic of his, I can see people distributing his works getting slapped with Cease and Desist orders or even lawsuits because it's all technically infringement, and Penders has shown that he'll fiercely protect anything of his he believes is being infringed upon. I have no love for the work he's doing, but even I would say that would be the one time he'd be in the right. So I think it's easier to not give him all this undue attention and let this project flop like The Lost Ones before it.

I really don't think he cares. Like, at all. In his mind, he's already a success simply because the Archie case was dismissed and his rights are secured. Going ahead with licensing deals and talking about merchandising before anyone's even seen anything but a teased script (comic book scripts look nothing like this, by the way) and terrible promotional artwork. But someone's interested in working with him, and in his tiny little world, that's all that matters. People aren't happy with him and his actions, and have offered everything from pure hate to genuine criticism, and he's aware of it all, but Penders just doesn't seem to care.

Which I know and am so surprised at as well. You would think that someone would care very much so what the people think if you are going to work small time. Unlike when you are a bigger operation, when you are smaller, what your fans and critics think must matter ALOT!!!! If you don't take that into consideration, you are just hoping that fate steps in and rewards you with just pure luck that people will like your stuff.

He is working small time now, yet he is still acting like he is working big time from what I see. I'm betting he is in for a big surprise if he things his older reputation is all he needs, when his new reputation has pretty much pissed off most of what would have been the people that would have given his work at least a try. Now, I'm not so sure about it anymore.