Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

if they were to mirror the games 100% with no originality what so ever it would be extremely boring and the book wouldnt last that long

This was one of my complaints when I was originally watching Sonic X. when the second season is pretty much a mirror image of SA1, SA2, and Battle to where you already know everything that was going to happen, it was very dull. Seasons 1 and 3 were much better, but the game adaptations are just well, dull. You know what is going to happen already. That's no fun.

Edited by Jet Prower
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was one of my complaints when I was originally watching Sonic X. when the second season is pretty much a mirror image of SA1, SA2, and Battle to where you already know everything that was going to happen, it was very dull. Seasons 1 and 3 were much better, but the game adaptations are just well, dull. You know what is going to happen already. That's no fun.

like knowing what's gonna happen already. 

like knowing what's gonna happen already. 

And I detest spoilers like the plague. Having something spoiled for me is pretty much what would turn me into a nasty person towards someone. I don't like to know ANYTHING before something happens. I dont like to know comics ahead of time, and I don't like to know games ahead of time. People just need to respect that some people want to spoil things and others hate spoilers ALOT.

Spoilers just get me more excited for when I'm finally able to read/watch/play the whatever I've been waiting for. 

EDIT: Even If I've watched a playthrough of a game on YouTube 100 times, I'd still want to actually play it and see the same cutscenes officially. The same goes for comics.

Edited by Sparky

I don't mind game adaptations even though I know that the good guy wins I'm more interested in how they win like the mega man comics when they were adapting mega man 2 when rock defeated every robot master a virus was currupting him till he was under Wily's control....it's much more interesting then how I'm describing it

Game locations/settings/rules aren't the same thing as game plots.

I prefer the comic to come up with its own storylines and events, but still set within a framework that's at least kind of similar to the games. The reboot allows for the comic to be a lot closer to the original game series, but it still comes up with original events and situations for the characters to face within that setting.

Some of you are acting as though the comic is just adapting the actual game storylines word-for-word or something.

• Thumbs Up 8

Game locations/settings/rules aren't the same thing as game plots.   I prefer the comic to come up with its own storylines and events, but still set within a framework that's at least kind of similar to the games. The reboot allows for the comic to be a lot closer to the original game series, but it still comes up with original events and situations for the characters to face within that setting.   Some of you are acting as though the comic is just adapting the actual game storylines word-for-word or something.
I'm not in some sites I go too I see people keep saying that's how the comic should be and they're should be any original characters and then they bring up STC and Mega Man(even though that contradicts their statements)

I'm not in some sites I go too I see people keep saying that's how the comic should be and they're should be any original characters and then they bring up STC and Mega Man(even though that contradicts their statements)

I do think priority should always be on the game characters, with comic-exclusive characters not overshadowing them or taking most of the focus. I'm fine with comic-exclusive characters existing, and even getting plenty of focus in their own right, but not receiving it continuously and at the expense of the game cast (as was often the case in Archie's heyday).

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I think the comics should have the games events happen at least 95% word-for-word but not actually SHOW the full adaptation of it. And have the comics mainly cover events happening between (/during for others in the Universe) game events.

Why would you want the game events word for word in the archie comics? That would make them dull beyond belief. I would just be like each month, well, I already know what is going to happen, when is this arc going to be over so we can hopefully get to something that I haven't seen before? It would just take all excitement away from the comic totally if you follow only the games completely.

I think the comics should have the games events happen at least 95% word-for-word but not actually SHOW the full adaptation of it. And have the comics mainly cover events happening between (/during for others in the Universe) game events.

I dunno about this, honestly. I like reading the comics because they give me something different from the games. And having the comics take place in-between the games, well, then that becomes an issue because then there's the expectation that the readers will have played x game to understand y comic. While that's not asking for much from the majority of us, what about the average reader? Maybe they can't afford games or have no interest in playing the games, though they enjoy the comic? EDIT: And as Jet Prower just said.. why bother, honestly?

Granted, the "Sonic X" approach has some value in its own right, and is even working pretty well for IDW's TMNT comic based on the current cartoon (stories taking place between episodes so as not to disrupt the continuity), I'd rather leave Archie Sonic to do its own thing as it has been without being blatant advertisements for the games.

Edited by Zaysho

I don't mind adaptations of the games, but I believe that an adaptation can sometimes be too faithful to the source material. When it's practically a verbatim re-enactment of the games, that's when I have a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would you want the game events word for word in the archie comics? That would make them dull beyond belief. I would just be like each month, well, I already know what is going to happen, when is this arc going to be over so we can hopefully get to something that I haven't seen before? It would just take all excitement away from the comic totally if you follow only the games completely.

I meant have the games be part of the continuity as they were in the actual... games, but not actually showing the full events of said games, and focusing more on original events that would happen between each game for Sonic and co. or what is happening for other characters during the games if those characters weren't present in the game.

You're more likely to have played X game than have read the X comics required for quite a lot of reading prior to #248. Just throwing that out there. 

Let me try to better explain what I'm trying to say. 

Let's say... at the end of countdown to chaos (or the arc after it) Sonic decides to run through Green Hill, and meanwhile Eggman discovers the ancient manuscripts whatevers talking about Lost Hex and the powerful "Zeti" with an editors note saying check out the free Sonic Lost World comic to see what happens next. Next issue has is an adaptation of the final cutscene(s) of Sonic Lost World and then transitions into a new arc. OR: have about 4 issues or so showing some parts of the events of Sonic Lost World while skipping over to what's happening with the Freedom Fighters while Sonic and Tails are busy on Lost Hex.

Honestly one of the things I loved about the old comic adapations, is that they took them, added their own twist, and incorporated additional characters and made is less of a point to point adapation, but a new adventure combined with the game stories making it so much more interesting rather than a simple rehash (The genesis arc also did this decently)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nah because then they are intertwining the games with the comics which allot of people don't want because then the fandumb will ask a bunch of stupid questions.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this comic.....  If you notice it's definitely different than the regular one seen here.

http://comicbookrealm.com/series/6197/84540/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog

Here is the one I have.

post-5869-0-02447100-1381116413_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-88855700-1381116435_thumb.jp

It's not glossy at all like a normal comic.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it! 

Thanks,

Battletoad

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this comic.....  If you notice it's definitely different than the regular one seen here.

http://comicbookrealm.com/series/6197/84540/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog

Here is the one I have.

[image snip]

It's not glossy at all like a normal comic.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it! 

Thanks,

Battletoad

Ah, that's Sonic Super Special #4... The only thing I can tell from your photos is that the cover is missing. The image with the green background is the same image that's on the cover that doubles as a "frontispiece" for the issue. Whoever you got it from either lost it or removed it for some inexplicable reason, but that's about it, really. The big tip-off is that the Archie logo is missing, and there's no UPC. And the back cover for most comics are an ad of some kind. I don't have the issue on hand at the moment, so I can't tell you what the backcover ad was, but the short version is: you ain't got no cover.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Zaysho

Wow, thanks for the response! It's been awhile since I've actually purchased a Sonic Comic book.  The last one I bought was probably #30.  Anyway, I guess it seems super obvious, but at the moment the thought didn't occur to me.   Yeah I got totally ripped off.  But hey, I was at a comic convention and wanted to spend (waste) money anyway.

Your website is pretty great as well, Genape made me laugh.

Also, offtopic but you should refrain from using the attachment system here, its really kind of archaic and crappy.

Heres some websites you can use for image uploaders:
http://imageshack.us/
http://smg.photobucket.com/
http://imgur.com/

Yeah, Ill check those out, I'm pretty new to the forums and haven't been told the proper way to do a few things.   Thanks for the instruction though!

Edited by battletoad

Wow, thanks for the response! It's been awhile since I've actually purchased a Sonic Comic book.  The last one I bought was probably #30.  Anyway, I guess it seems super obvious, but at the moment the thought didn't occur to me.   Yeah I got totally ripped off.  But hey, I was at a comic convention and wanted to spend (waste) money anyway.

Your website is pretty great as well, Genape made me laugh.

No prob! Sorry to hear you got ripped off. I know I'd be boiling right about now if I got a book that turned out to be damaged. If you're looking for a replacement or just want to fill holes in your collection, you might want to give Mile High Comics a look.

And, hey, thanks for checking out the blog, it's always nice to know somebody's looking at my work once in a while.

No prob! Sorry to hear you got ripped off. I know I'd be boiling right about now if I got a book that turned out to be damaged. If you're looking for a replacement or just want to fill holes in your collection, you might want to give Mile High Comics a look.

And, hey, thanks for checking out the blog, it's always nice to know somebody's looking at my work once in a while.

Mile High Comics is still around? I remember them from long ago when I was building up my own collection. I'm still missing some of the early issues of course, but I'm still glad I have alot of the issues now and not some reprints. Took me years on ebay to get as many as I do.

Chuck is taking over as the new field commander. He's gonna play a much bigger role in the new comics. 

The buffalo guy is really just a placeholder, I needed something for Sonic to bounce off of and I thought it would be fun to throw a new character in.

Old man power go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Old man power go.

Ya, him as feild commander really makes a lot of sense, espcialy since his earliest active role back in the show was as a spy, and controlling an underground network, he has been shown to have a good view of situations and planning.

Say did anybody think to ask Bates about whats the sitch with Mighty, Ray, and Nack?

I wouldnt mind asking Ian Flynn or any of the comic guys myself if I knew where XD

Edited by Mandobardanjusik