Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

FFFFFF- I'M ABOUT TO BURST OF HAPPINESS

261471_169517133112132_100001615403873_450479_1354122_n.jpg

Is that Classic Eggman? In an Archie comic?

Hoooooly crap. Archie just acknowledged Sega Eggman, rather than SatAM Robotnik, for the "classic" age. You guys have no idea- no idea- how positively giddy this makes me.

*eagerly awaits 226*

Ok they've already taken out the classic cast in favor of the FF, anymore would've only ended in ruin.

Ok they've already taken out the classic cast in favor of the FF, anymore would've only ended in ruin.

Admittedly, I'd have preferred to see some classic Sega characters too, but I'm happy enough to see

Classic Eggman

that I can overlook the FFs still being around. I didn't expect a perfect adaptation of the classic games anyway.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I've been reading comments on other forums and sadly it seems that a lot of people want Genesis to be the new story canon for the book.

Is Archie Sonic that hated among the Sonic fan base that people wish for the Archie Sonic canon to get scrap and replaced with a newer story canon?

Edited by Darkfox

Well, yes in some circles, no in others. Barry up there actually makes the main issue rather clear; Archie Sonic itself is okay, it's just rather difficult to get into the canon if you're not such a big fan of it.

Plus maybe people just got sick of love triangles, I dunno.

Well, yes in some circles, no in others. Barry up there actually makes the main issue rather clear; Archie Sonic itself is okay, it's just rather difficult to get into the canon if you're not such a big fan of it.

I've been reading comments on other forums and sadly it seems that a lot of people want Genesis to be the new story canon for the book.

Is Archie Sonic that hated among the Sonic fan base that people wish for the Archie Sonic canon to get scrap and replaced with a newer story canon?

The reason is that Genesis actually seems to be a (somewhat) faithful adaptation of the game universe, which many fans feel Archie should've been from the beginning. See Archie's currently-running Megaman comic for an example of a splendidly game-accurate series.

Aside from that, it's just personal preference for some- I think Eggman's classic Japanese design looks a lot more appealing than the SatAM look. I'm also diggin' the animal-powered robots, which are clearly not presented as the same thing as roboticization. Archie really did their homework on this one.

EDIT:

Though coming from 225, it's perplexing why Eggman apparently turned Archie into Sega land. Does this mean the bright happy world of the games is somehow Eggman's ideal reality? Admittedly, he (and everyone else, whether they're on his side or not) seems a lot happier here. But he also lost a lot of power by going from ruling much of the planet to being a lone man trying to take it all over.

I'm very intrigued to see where they're going to go with this.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

It's a comic that has 225+ issues of story. Of course that's going to turn away some fans. But that's an issue with every comic book.

In a word? Yes. If you're not a fan of SATAM, you'll find it pretty hard to get into, It has so many things that are un-Sonic like: Romance, Love Triangles, Politics I mean come on even if you weren't a fan of Sonic in general and found out what the comics were about, they'd probably cock their heads sideways.

I'm not going to say its hated, its either just ignored or people just prefer the games.

You forgot the role displacement of certains game characters. (personally for me this is the main issue since I feel that character that no longer have a reason to be are holding back the development of the game characters, worse when at the current state they already compromised not only said roles but also we have the stupid de-railment, product of either following a silly agenda (sonally) or not having a grasp of the game character's personalities, which for starters are not as simple as Ian says (like that thread at the SoA comic sub-forum where someone quoted him, showing how he only developed on Sally and reduced every other girl to just one sentence, showing just how much he undesratnds said characters))

Agreed. Let's not have this delve into a debate about the two franchises anymore.

I just got 226. I'm actually a little disappointed. It's like my comic, (not seen by anyone but me due to crappy artwork)(but hey it's just kicking off) Scourge story on the other hand is wonderful. I must have read 3 times before I put it down.

Fiona Fox is pretty silly/stupid lately though.

I still don't see why the game characters should have to be 100% like the games. Archie =/= the games. SatAM's version of Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik are different from the games. Same goes for AoStH and especially STC in the case of Sonic. I think the comic would be better off sticking to the pre-established comic personalities for the characters who had long standing characterization prior to the Dreamcast era. For others like Shadow, Blaze, and Silver? I can see why keeping them close to the games is important.

Maybe a blend of personalities, but when a continuity has long established itself as a separate dimension, I don't see the harm in some differences.

Though, keep in mind that I haven't read every issue either. I only know so much about some of the crazy drama, like the love triangles and deus ex machina, etc, etc. Maybe I'm missing something here. :|a

That being said, it is nice to see Classic Eggman for this special arc.

EDIT:

I actually have a theory. It is confirmed that Genesis is a 4-issue mini-series, and the series will continue once it is done. I am betting that at the end of the arch Sonic will know what is going on and have to make a decision. Does he like this new world better, the one Robotnik made which is much simpler, but more stripped, one where Sally is fine and healthy and Robotnik is more of a doofus but still a liable threat? Or does he like the old world better, where there is much more problems in society, Sally is dead or on the bring of dying, and everything is so complicated?

Think about it, in the issues building up to Genesis all of Knothole are seriously considering letting a villain be in charge and Sonic can't rectify the situation thanks to complications, Sally has been shot and is dead or dying, the Eggman Empire is growing and there are lots of complications preventing him to just run free. That was a main point of 223 and 224. Now Sonic is in an area where everything is simpler, not less dangerous, but it's straightforward. Robotnik is bad, Sonic can smash him, he and his friends are together, like they used to be, no complications and nothing to stop him from running free.

Edited by Mega

This Genesis story seems more like it's geared more towards the fans of the Sega Sonic canon then anything.

As a die-hard Archie Sonic fan it's hard for me to get excited about a four-issue story that takes place in an alternate reality.

The Good

The art.

Seeing Boomer tear apart a CaterKiller is pretty awesome.

Snively is in this new reality and seems to worship his uncle(be interesting to see how long this lasts).

The Bad

It's a Sega mandate story that's taking time out of the book's normal story.

The story itself is kind of boring. Sorry but there's only so much that you can do to make the story of "Sonic 1" interesting.

What the heck?!?

Sally speaks Flickly???

Edited by Darkfox
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

This Genesis story seems more like it's geared more towards the fans of the Sega Sonic canon then anything.

As a die-hard Archie Sonic fan it's hard for me to get excited about a four-issue story that takes place in an alternate reality.

The Good

The art.

Seeing Boomer tear apart a CaterKiller is pretty awesome.

Snively is in this new reality and seems to worship his uncle(be interesting to see how long this lasts).

The Bad

It's a Sega mandate story that's taking time out of the book's normal story.

The story itself is kind of boring. Sorry but there's only so much that you can do to make the story of "Sonic 1" interesting.

What the heck?!?

Sally speaks Flickly???

I give this issue a 5/10.

Sorry for being such a dower everyone, but this is just how I feel.

• Thumbs Up 2

This isn't a sega mandated story, Flynn said he wanted to do it.

"There’s always that temptation to start over, take the best of what we have, and move forward in a new, more cohesive direction. Sonic: Genesis is an experiment in that direction," said series writer Ian Flynn. “That, and SEGA was interested in us doing something special to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the franchise."

See Sega played a hand in it.
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So what if they did?

It's not unreasonable for Sega to expect a comic based on their ideas to at least somewhat resemble those ideas. If I made an original story, and someone adapted a comic out of it, I don't think I'd be wrong to want some creative control over their adaptation in regards to how close it is to my original work. On the contrary, it seems like that would be perfectly within my reasonable rights as an author.

It's fine to prefer Archie, but it is and will always be a derivative of Sega's original canon, and thus owes its entire existence to it. Ergo, for Sega to request (or even demand) certain stipulations for Archie to follow is not at all unreasonable in my mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did they mandate it or did they merely get involved (aka "played a hand in it")? It's one or the other, dude.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. All we know is that Sega wanted them to do something special, we don't know that they mandated them to this particular storyline.

I also dislike the Archie canon because I don't think its good fiction, and I don't think its very Sonic-like because of how things function in the comic. We've got a city of nanites, a pile of wizards, some giant panda thing that made the chaos emeralds, there must be four characters created for the purpose of making a new love triangle, and then that fox guy who I suddenly can't remember the name of was flying the Vic Viper.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I also dislike the Archie canon because I don't think its good fiction, and I don't think its very Sonic-like because of how things function in the comic. We've got a city of nanites, a pile of wizards, some giant panda thing that made the chaos emeralds, there must be four characters created for the purpose of making a new love triangle, and then that fox guy who I suddenly can't remember the name of was flying the Vic Viper.

And that's bad fiction compared to other comics that equally have out-of-place elements within it's storytelling? DC Comics and Marvel Comics are all the example anyone needs to highlight this point, as they do everything Sonic's been doing and even more.

I don't really read comics in general, I'm mostly just basing this off stuff I've seen in this thread.

That said,

We've got a city of nanites, a pile of wizards, some giant panda thing that made the chaos emeralds, there must be four characters created for the purpose of making a new love triangle, and then that fox guy who I suddenly can't remember the name of was flying the Vic Viper.

This was just a list of things that make me think it isn't Sonic like.

It's as Sonic-like as it can be for an adaptation of it an several other continuities within the franchise. That, and it's not something that is "not Sonic" off the idea alone, especially for a franchise that does not discriminate against every element as something it isn't made for (ShTH nonwithstanding).

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic