Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

HOLY CRAP, GUYS! I JUST GOT StH #226 EARLY!!!!!!!!!! AGAGAGAGGHGAHGHGAGAHG!!!! READING...NAO!!! :D:D:D

:blink: You lucky dog....

Do you think you should hold off spoilers until the preview pages are up (unless the pages from Nintendo Power count as the preview) like #225?

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Argh, why are my subscriptions always late? I never even got SU #26 in the mail either. If only I had a newsstand nearby that sold the comics cause I am definitely not satisfied with Archie's subscription service.

New previews are out!

sonic229.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #229

Written by Ian Flynn, art by Tracy Yardley, Terry Austin.

"Genesis," Part 4. The 20th-Anniversary Sonic celebration ends with this blockbuster issue! Sonic tackles the treacherous Metropolis Zone alone, while Sally leads her friends through the perils of the Oil Ocean Zone! At the end of the gauntlet lies the Death Egg and an epic battle! Will the world ever be the same again?

32 pages, $2.99.

sonic16.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCHIVES VOLUME 16 TP

Written and art by various.

The best-selling Sonic Archives graphic novel series continues! The hunt for the evil Ixis Naugus goes into full swing as Sonic and his best friend Tails continue the World Tour Saga! Can the power of friendship overrule the wills of interdimensional machine-gods? What is the sinister secret of Sand Blast City? And are those duck-bill platypus warriors riding crododiles? Collects Sonic The Hedgehog #59-62.

112 pages, $7.95.

sonicuniverse32.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #32

Written by Ian Flynn, art by Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash.

"Inside Job," Part 4. The explosive finale to the Scourge Arc! Sonic's evil twin is running with the Destructix, and they're fighting for their lives to escape Zone Jail! If the rioting prisoners don't get them, the Zone Cops will! In the mad dash for freedom, who will escape -- and who will be left behind?

32 pages, $2.99.

sonicuniverse1.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE VOLUME 1: THE SHADOW SAGA TP

Written by Ian Flynn, art by Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash.

Enter the Sonic Universe with the first ever Graphic Novel collection of the new hit comic series! Shadow The Hedgehog, the dark and grim Ultimate Lifeform, embarks on his first mission for the Guardian Units of the Nation! He will travel across time and space, fighting deadly killer robots and facing down beings of god-like power! Collects the entire "Shadow Saga" storyline from Sonic Universe #1-4 plus exclusive sketches and special features!

SU #229's cover looks niiiiiiiiice. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with #229's cover. But then again, we've already seen it so I would just be repeating what I said when the cover render was leaked.

#32 looks good too. But the end of it's solicit intrigues me a bit. "Who gets left behind?" Could that imply it's someone we already know? ;)

I'm betting it's gonna be Fiona. Call me a bitch but I've been waiting to see this character get some karma for a while. Now, her getting punched in the gut by Sally in the Journey to the East arc was somewhat deserving, I was thinking more around the lines as getting betrayed by someone she had legitimate feelings for. A personal blow, if you will.

She went through all this work just to get Scourge out of prison, obviously dedicated to him. But the question is, would he really do the same for her? To me, no. Scourge is the type of guy who is self-serving and wouldn't risk his life for anyone but himself. It would also be an ironic way of Fiona being back in a simular enviorment when she was child. She was imprisoned by Robotnick, and being left behind by those she thought would save her has scarred her a bit and left her with a bit of a trusting issue. Though she tried to improve herself by being with better role models like the FF's but it was Scourge, someone who she thought liked her for who she really was lead to be evil and down a path of self-destruction. And her getting left behind by Scourge in the No-Zone Prison would show that her life so far has come full circle.

Or it could just be Al and Cal.

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 2

Maybe that character you mentioned Dragon soul would sit in a cell and write a list everything bad it's ever done? It's just trying to be a better person? It's name is ????? :P

DragonSoul, I'm hoping for the exact same thing =P It would be beautiful.

If the entire arc has Fiona seeming like she's aiding Scourge for her own ends, using him in a sense because she's become a stronger person in his absence, but then at the last minute Scourge bails and leaves her there, because in actuality he was just using her... it would be a glorious twist. It might even make me feel a little sorry for Fiona, which would be a feat.

Yet I can't see it happening. To me it seems more likely that

Fiona will betray the Destructix and they'll end up trapped in the No Zone while she escapes with Scourge. It's a safer ending for the writers, but I prefer the alternative that shakes things up more. However, the way people on Bumbleking are crying about the fact that Scourge so much as yelled at Fiona (they're calling it abuse - wtf, this IS Scourge we're talking about), I think there'd be too much of an upset if Scourge did betray her and leave her there. Damn :\

One person is doing that mostly, and it seems to stem from her own awful past, which is very unfortunate. Everyone else I've seen is arguing against the notion.

I don't like what I've heard of #226 so far. :<

Agree with #229's cover. But then again, we've already seen it so I would just be repeating what I said when the cover render was leaked.

#32 looks good too. But the end of it's solicit intrigues me a bit. "Who gets left behind?" Could that imply it's someone we already know? ;)

I'm betting it's gonna be Fiona. Call me a bitch but I've been waiting to see this character get some karma for a while. Now, her getting punched in the gut by Sally in the Journey to the East arc was somewhat deserving, I was thinking more around the lines as getting betrayed by someone she had legitimate feelings for. A personal blow, if you will.

She went through all this work just to get Scourge out of prison, obviously dedicated to him. But the question is, would he really do the same for her? To me, no. Scourge is the type of guy who is self-serving and wouldn't risk his life for anyone but himself. It would also be an ironic way of Fiona being back in a simular enviorment when she was child. She was imprisoned by Robotnick, and being left behind by those she thought would save her has scarred her a bit and left her with a bit of a trusting issue. Though she tried to improve herself by being with better role models like the FF's but it was Scourge, someone who she thought liked her for who she really was lead to be evil and down a path of self-destruction. And her getting left behind by Scourge in the No-Zone Prison would show that her life so far has come full circle.

Or it could just be Al and Cal.

I like your idea DragonSoul and sort of want it to happen, but why would the Destructrix follow Scourge if Fiona did get the boot? Lightning Lynx was promised revenge for the whole Raiju clan fiasco, by Fiona. Simion doesn't really like Scourge and the bird already picked on him.

Edited by turbojet

Well Turbojet tbh if a dude who was like Sonic had that power to command he'd simply beat them all to a pulp and when he goes super he's basically a pissed off god, so in the old words it is better to be the right hand of the devil, than in his path.

I hope that Fiona isn't the one who is left behind in the zone-jail.

Fiona

Pros to being left behind.

Fiona could go through more character development if Scourge left her behind. Despite saying that she doesn't trust anyone she's putting her life on the line(not to mention her freedom), to free him. Being betrayed by Scourge could open up Fiona's eyes and make her question herself.

Cons to being left behind

Fiona would be trapped in the No-Zone till Ian gets around to writing a story where she would escape(unless he's planning on writing Fiona out of the book), but another jail break story would just be a repeat of the story that we are getting now with the Scourge Arc.

It would also make the story where she takes leadership of the Destructix in Sonic Universe issue # 15 kind of a waste of time if she's only leader for one story arc. I just don't see Scourge being a good leader for the Destructix.

Edited by Darkfox

I like your idea DragonSoul and sort of want it to happen, but why would the Destructrix follow Scourge if Fiona did get the boot? Lightning Lynx was promised revenge for the whole Raiju clan fiasco, by Fiona. Simion doesn't really like Scourge and the bird already picked on him.

Since the preview pages for #226 are out, it's spoiler time!

1.The issue begins with Sonic running through a loop in Green Hill.

2."Whoa...feels like I dozed off for a minute there...! What was I doing again?..."

3.Sonic remembers that the reason he came to Green Hill was to find missing mobians and animals.

4.He starts to wonder where they may have disappeared to and runs into several MotoBugs.

5."Yow! What's that?!"

6.A MotoBug slashes at him and he jumps out of the way.

7."Besides unfriendly."

8.He finds himself surrounded by them.

9."...And numerous. What's up, guys? Or is it girls? Do robots get genders? How about a name--? I'll call you guys..."

10.He jumps on several of them and releases the animals within.

11."...MotoBugs! Which seems...oddly appropriate."

12.He starts to think.

13."Like...REALLY appropriate. Huh. I guess this solves the mystery of what happened to all the animals, at least."

14.He spots a Newtron climbing a tree.

15."Hey, there. So...who built you--and why did they think it was cool to stuff you full of critters?"

16.He grabs it and uses it to fly through Green Hill.

17."All right, buddy--mush! Take me to your leader!"

18.Elsewhere, Snively is in an Egg Mobile prepping one of Eggman's animal containment capsules.

19."And with that, I've reached quota. Uncle will be so pleased with--MEEK?!"

20.Sonic flys in and releases the animals.

21."What--how--why?!"

22."The name's "Sonic the Hedgehog." I respond better to "who," but I'm flexible."

23.Sonic asks him if he's the one behind all of this.

24."Only in part. I am Snively, lowly servant to a grander design. The designs of my brilliant uncle, Dr. Eggman! He will bring order to these wild lands! All greenery will be paved! All filthy animals with power shiny robots! The world will not only work like...but BECOME a well-oiled machine!"

25."Wow. What a jerk."

26."No, he's not! He's brilliant! Brilliant, I say!" (I guess this was one of Eggman Prime's "personal touches." XD)

27.Snively releases a wrecking ball from his Egg Mobile.

28."Bah! As if you could understand, you smelly animal!"

29."Whoa! Neat trick! I've got a few surprises myself!"

30.Sonic moves to one of the two floating platforms before he can be crushed.

31."H-how did he move...that fast?"

32.Sonic assaults Snively's Egg Mobile with several spin attacks.

33.Sonic taunts Snively and he tries to hit Sonic with the wrecking ball again, but smashes one of the floating platforms instead.

34."You freak of nature--!"

35."You say "freak," I say "gifted." You say "Blah, Blah, Blah something about your uncle." I say "get lost.""

36.Sonic strikes Snively's Egg Mobile again, causing the chain holding the wrecking ball to break.

37."I must retreat! Uncle Eggy will know what to do about this!"

38."So long! Forget to write!"

39.Snively escapes and Sonic approaces the capsule.

40."Now...what do you suppose he has stashed in this thing? I'm going to feel really stupid if this turns out to be a bomb or something..."

41.He presses the button on the capsule and it explodes, releasing its captives.

42."GAK! Does everything this Eggman guys builds explode?!"

43.He peers into the hole created by the explosion and is greeted by Sally.

44."You...you must be...our rescuer."

45."Sonic the Hedgehog. You're some of the folks that went missing, right?"

46."That's right. My name is Sally Acorn. These are my friends, Boomer Walrus and Antoine Depardieu."

47."Heya!"

48."Is ze horrible tiny man gone?"

49."Nice to meet you. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got more bots to bash!"

50."No! Wait, please!"

51."Make it quick. Nobody will be rescuing themselves."

52."My friends and I are trying to get to the source of the problem. We want to stop the madman behind these kidnappings."

53."And what's worse, we think the same guy is behind all the big earthquakes we've had lately."

54."Dr. Eggman is ravaging the land and terrorizing the people. We're dedicated to fighting for freedom and I--WE--could really use someone like you."

55."I dunno...you guys might slow me down!"

56."We've already scouted a way to his stronghold. Nothing's quicker than a direct route."

57."Then by all means, lead the way!"

58."I am just wanting to be sure ze coasting is clear!"

59."Would you knock it off?"

60.The four arrive in the Marble Zone.

61."...And we're pretty sure that there's some kind of underground passage that runs from the Marble Zone to Dr. Eggman's lair."

62."I'll admit I had my doubts, but we're definitely on the right track now."

63."What changed your mind?"

64.A Caterkiller lunges at Sally, but Sonic saves her just in time.

65."The killer robots."

66."Careful, Sonic! This model is called--"

67."A Caterkiller!"

68."Oh. You've...done the research yourself?"

69."...No. It just kind of...came to me."

70.The Caterkiller tries to attack again, but Boomer grabs it and breaks it apart.

71."And that's why they call you "Boomer," right?"

72."Always happy to help."

73."Here come more, boys!"

74.While Sonic, Sally, and Boomer run to take on the rest of the Caterkillers, Antoine tries to hide in one of the temples.

75."I would just be getting in ze way. I shall wait over here, okay? Okay!"

76.Antoine enters the temple, unaware that three sets of eyes are peering at him from the ceiling.

77."There...nice and safe."

78.Antoine realizes he's being watched and runs out of the temple, screaming and being tailed by Bat Brains.

79.Sonic hears Antoine's cries and destroys the Bat Brains.

80."Well, that was moderately entertaining..."

81."Thank you, Antoine!"

82."Antoine?!"

83."Way to go! We never would've seen that ambush coming!"

84."Ah, well, ahoo-hoo-hoo! I do what I can..."

85.Sonic is none too pleased.

86."Yeah, right. He meant to do that, my spiny blue..."

87.Sonic spots Boomer tinkering with a fallen Buzzbomber and asks him what he's doing.

88."I'm reprogramming it. How cool would it be to have one on our side?"

89."Pretty cool, I guess."

90."The problem, though...is we would need an animal to power it. I don't want to stoop to Eggman's level."

91.They spot a Flicky bird sitting on top of one of the temples.

92.Sally gets an idea.

93."Maybe we won't have to..."

94.Sally uses song to communicate with the Flicky and persude it to help. (Apparently, one of Eggman's changes was to turn Sally into Snow White. XD)

95."She's agreed to help us."

96."Thanks, little Flicky! In you go!"

97.The Flicky gets into the Buzzbomber and it springs back to life.

98."Okay, that's pretty cool. Think you can keep up with me? Then let's clear the road!"

99.Sonic plows through several caterkillers and Buzzbombers.

100."...Wow! Look at them go!"

101."Ha-ha! Wait for us!"

102.Suddenly, an earthquake happens and seperates the ground into several chunks floating in a pool of lava.

103."Another earthquake! Brace yourselves! It exposed a magma deposit! Run!"

104."Er...where to, sally?"

105.Sonic notices the earthquake from far ahead.

106."Wow! That was worse than any of the last..."

107."SONIC!!!"

108.Sonic springs into action and rescues Sally while the Flicky-controlled Buzzbomber airlifts Boomer and Antoine out of danger.

109."Okay, you won me over, Boomer! That thing's pretty cool for sure!"

110.The five of them find more stable ground and land.

111."Is it hot out here, or is it just you?"

112."S-Sonic! This is hardly the time or place..."

113."Yeah, you're right. Sometimes I move TOO fast."

114."N-Well, maybe, I mean..."

115.Boomer thanks their Flicky friend for the lift and Antoine catches his breath.

116."Please to be ze end of ze terror?"

117.Antoine's hopes are quickly dashed as Dr. Eggman arrives. (Sporting his classic design, no less!)

118."Zut alors!"

119."The terrorizing has just begun! Myah ha ha ha ha!"

120."Looking at your oh-so-round shape, I guess you're this "Eggman" guy everyone's talking about?"

121."And you must be Sonic, the nasty little boy who bullied my nephew this morning."

122."Yep. I can't wait to do the same to you."

123."Oh-ho-ho-ho! We will see about that!"

124.Sonic and Eggman begin their battle, Sonic running off and Eggman trailing right behind.

125."Sonic!"

126."Wow, look at them go!"

127."Yeah!...so why does all this seem so familiar?"

128.Sonic heads back to the lava pool and hops on small pillars to cross it.

129."My! You're a quick one!"

130."Faster than fast, Doc! And swifter than sw--oops! That's not good."

131.The pillar Sonic's on begins to crack and sink.

132."No. Not good at all. Game over, rodent."

133.Their Buzzbomber friend begins to blast Eggman from behind.

134."Bah! What do you think you're doing?!"

135.Eggman flips his Egg Mobile around and blasts the Buzzbomber with his magma cannon, freeing the Flicky.

136."Take that, you traitor! Ha! Ha ha ha ha--"

137.However, with his Egg Mobile flipped around, Sonic is able to surprise Eggman and strike his magma cannon, destroying it and cracking his mech.

138."NOOOO!!! That tears it! No more toying around with you! Once my master plan is complete, you will all suffer my wrath!"

139.Eggman thinks to himself.

140."...Just as soon as I figure out what that plan is. Just what is that glorious battle station for...?"

141.Sonic regroups with the FFs.

142."Yo, Sal! Tell that Flicky I owe it one!"

143.Sally uses her animal communication skills to thank the Flicky for its assistance.

144."Well, that was fun. What's next?"

145.Seriously?! You're amazing!"

146."I know, I know."

147."I'm sure you do."

148.The group makes their way to another temple.

149."That should be the way into the underground passage. How does it look, Antoine?"

150."Um...perilous?"

151.The group enters the temple to find water ducts and a stone face.

152."Yow...He's not kidding. But you know what? It doesn't feel that way. Being with you guys seems...right."

153."I'm glad you feel that way. Let's go, gang. We'll show Eggman he shouldn't have messed with our world!"

154.The issue ends.

155.There's a very funny Off-Panel strip where Eggman laments that even though he reset the world, Sonic and Sally still exist on it.

156.There's also a very funny piece of fan art where Modern Sonic tells Classic Sonic about certain elements of his most recent adventures including Jet, The Werehog, Wisps, and Chaos.

Plus, some spoiler images:

261471_169517133112132_100001615403873_450479_1354122_n.jpg

264955_169517233112122_100001615403873_450482_2462099_n.jpg

262198_169517309778781_100001615403873_450485_1247349_n.jpg

253898_169517276445451_100001615403873_450483_7870782_n.jpg

259917_169517199778792_100001615403873_450481_7155047_n.jpg

260373_169517339778778_100001615403873_450486_3352486_n.jpg

Plus, as a bonus, here's a look at the San Diego Comic-Con exclusive cover for the issue:

259984_169518639778648_100001615403873_450517_4553060_n.jpg

Enjoy! :)

• Thumbs Up 4

The guy who wrote the article IS THE GUY YOU'RE QUOTING. <_<

Edit: The whole "getting it right" is meant to show off to the reader that it's just too complex. Even I recoiled at how convoluted it was, and I've followed the comics since 2003.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 3

The guy who wrote the article IS THE GUY YOU'RE QUOTING. <_<

Edit: The whole "getting it right" is meant to show off to the reader that it's just too complex. Even I recoiled at how convoluted it was, and I've followed the comics since 2003.

lol, you really didn't know you were talking about me this whole time? I found that really funny :lol:

Though "lols" aside, I don't appreciate being told that I'm "feigning ignorance". Despite buying and reading the first 120 issues of the series (plus all the special issues and mini series) I really can't completely piece together the entire convoluted and overly complicated Robotnik/Eggman arc. I never stated that I have "no idea" about the back story (your words), I stated that I've yet to "wrap my head around it", meaning I get the general gist of it but there are a number of tiny details that are hard to keep track of and I've yet to sort them all out in my head. As such, I appropriately wrote "I've yet to wrap my head around it".

Later in the article, when I got to talking about the "new" Snively and Eggman, I had to explain the original Robotnik's back story as simply as I could for the readers sake, to back up how complicated the whole thing is. So I recalled as much as I could, and hit up an Archie Sonic wiki to understand exactly which alternate universe Robotnik current Eggman is and how he became human again.

"Biased" doesn't describe me as an Archie Sonic reader. Though I think that term in general is misused, as everybody has biases. I'd much prefer "preference". I loved the original Robotnik, and I love the modern Eggman. I just dislike how complicated things became for the character to transition from one design to another and that the Eggman of now was not the Robotnik of the early years. I much prefer the idea that the guy who first tricked Knuckles on Angel Island was the same guy who attacked Station Square (talking to the comic adaptations of those events). One continuous character arc.

I praise 226 so much because I like the idea of a rebooted Eggman. That the Eggman in the issue, floating about Marble Zone attacking Sonic, does not have that whole complicated back story. That isn't to say I hate back story, but I'd much prefer future comics explore a new Eggman and that we learn just why he wants an Eggmanland, how he became so evil, how he became a genius, etc.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 3

The first 120 issues? Jesus, I feel sorry for you.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

The rules are made of tripods.

Reminds me of a debate at Bumbleking actually, the fact I missed those first 120 issues and had to read up on them. Some argue that putting the Archive issues in the footnotes is inconvenient for the older readers and that it should be the original issues reference (despite being out of print). Their argument is that if the new readers want to follow things, they should be given the original issue so they can conduct their own research and let the older readers get on in peace.

What I haven't mentioned is that when I was a new reader, it took me MONTHS to get even a gist of the story up until then via Sonic HQ (back when it was the comprehensive source for all things Archie), and I only stuck to it because I'm a dedicated Sonic fan for whom research is a speciality. There'd be no hope of that happening now with the 300+ comic issues Sonic's had...well, okay, I'm getting a little off topic now. So, next time, my initial impressions on the story of #226. :mellow:

FFFFFF- I'M ABOUT TO BURST OF HAPPINESS

261471_169517133112132_100001615403873_450479_1354122_n.jpg

Is that Classic Eggman? In an Archie comic?

Hoooooly crap. Archie just acknowledged Sega Eggman, rather than SatAM Robotnik, for the "classic" age. You guys have no idea- no idea- how positively giddy this makes me.

*eagerly awaits 226*

Aw c'mon man! Those where the glory years of bizarre game adaptations and awesome Spaz covers! B) Not to mention Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts in comic book form.

And let us not forget the rules:

ylJ5c.jpg

(fixed the rules)