Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

I worry how this will perform on the Wii U, since it will posibbly be competing with their first party titles getting released later this year, such as the Windwaker HD remake, which is releasing this Fall, and possibly Mario Kart Wii U. I'm sure a large portion of Wii U owners will purchase those titles before Rayman Legends.

Edited by canderson

Yeah, I really don't understand Ubisoft's stupid decision. If it were released on the date it was supposed to be, it would sell well because, it has no competition. People with a Wii U are looking for games right now, and Rayman Legends would have been that game.

IGN: WII U BIG NEWS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-the next day-

Ign: you just lost an exclusive ;D

I actually see Ubisoft's reasoning for not releasing it right now for the Wii U, even if it is a little despicable. Three things: first because the WiiU’s sales haven’t been as expected and probably feel it's an unknown if people are going to jump on the console just for this game. Second, given that marketing is costly, they probably want to limit their marketing to one time period rather than two. It saves them money and provides more potential customers to those ads. Third: the perception that it's a "seven month old game" may hurt the multiplatform sales. It's all a matter of business decisions.

... on the other hand, this can easily backfire. For many this was the best looking game to be coming out for the WiiU and one of the console's main attractives at launch. Now that it's coming out in September, buyers will consider whatever Microsoft and Sony have to offer, possibly hindering Wii U sales even more.

Bottom line: Good news for PS3 and 360 owners, bad news for Nintendo, and frustrating news for Wii U owners.

• Thumbs Up 2

So basically you're saying that Ubisoft is going to somehow save money by releasing the game in the busiest season yet?

Ubisoft just backfired with sales here if you ask me.

I have to question why people are so upset about this that they feel the need to cancel their pre-orders or refuse to buy the game outright.

If the Wii U version of the game suffers then that's just more incentive for Ubisoft to not make exclusives or bother making and/or porting things for the Wii U in general.

Edited by Chooch

So basically you're saying that Ubisoft is going to somehow save money by releasing the game in the busiest season yet?

Ubisoft just backfired with sales here if you ask me.

Basically, no. The only real, certain money they'll save is marketing. Otherwise, they're going to expect profit from the PS3/360 but lose sales for the Wii U*, which may or may not hurt the overall sales of Legends, depending on how it fares on the two other platforms (thus, it's impossible to be sure if it'll be a profit or a loss).

*that includes losing sales due to the busy season.

I have to question why people are so upset about this that they feel the need to cancel their pre-orders or refuse to buy the game outright.

If the Wii U version of the game suffers then that's just more incentive for Ubisoft to not make exclusives or bother making and/or porting things for the Wii U in general.

I don't think you understand.

The game is being delayed for little to no reason. Why would Wii U owner wants to buy the game now when its coming out in half a year? Not me. My money is on games like Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Zelda, etc.

If Ubisoft wanted to make money, they should have released it during the Wii U game drought. They also could have used the timed exclusivity to gain tons of sales. Good platformer, exclusive to Nintendo, no competition? Seems like an awesome time to launch!

But IN SEPTEMBER? It's like releasing Winnie the Pooh on the day Harry Potter Deathly Hallows was released. Pooh is a good movie, but it bombed hard as Harry took the spotlight.

@Dr. Homen

The point of that post was to say that they're not going to save any money. They're going to lose a marketing battle with other games and they lost all support for the Wii U edition. Saving costs on marketing... to lose money on marketing/busy schedule/less buyers? Great decision Ubisoft!

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

I understand why the delay is upsetting. I'm not stupid. I just don't get why people are cancelling their pre-orders or refusing to buy the game.

That's just fucking dumb. Period.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going to say that people aren't overreacting in those suppositions, but there is merit in cancelling the pre-orders on account of release schedule, no less those of which had to be pre-paid.

Rayman Legends was never going to be a fantastic killer app. What it was though, was a perfect stopgap. It was contending against practically nothing, had fantastic word of mouth and was a perfect game to put in a schedule that Wii U would benefit dearly from. But now it's moved to a month where there's bound to be more heavy hitters, no less GTA V of all things.

Releasing it solo on Wii U in this period of time will probably not be much different than releasing it multiplat in September. People are bound to be spending their money on games that are far more interesting to spend $60 on than Legends, and because of that the game is almost certain to end up in the bargain bin like the original which was also released under similar circumstances.

It just isn't a very favorable period for the game.

• Thumbs Up 9

@Dr. Homen

The point of that post was to say that they're not going to save any money. They're going to lose a marketing battle with other games and they lost all support for the Wii U edition. Saving costs on marketing... to lose money on marketing/busy schedule/less buyers? Great decision Ubisoft!

True, I didn't say they would actually gain additional money, just that in their perception that plan would work. Personally, though, I think the best way to go would be to release the Wii U version now (as planned) and make a quick port for the other platforms in three months; fix the bugs in a patch a couple months after. That way, they can keep all the original sales from the Wii U (which also keeps Nintendo happy), as well as extra sales for the other two without losing much money neither for marketing nor because of the season.

Edited by Dr. Homem

I understand why the delay is upsetting. I'm not stupid. I just don't get why people are cancelling their pre-orders or refusing to buy the game.

That's just fucking dumb. Period.

Again, you're missing the point.

I currently have no games to play through right now on the Wii U. I was waiting for Rayman Legends but the news means I won't be able to get it till later. Unfortunately, it comes out when other games are going to be already launched like GTA 5, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin, and Zelda.

Honestly, I don't think people realize the amount of time people like me have. I don't have time to go play games in a week. It takes me months to finish them. I'm not going to buy Zelda, Pikmin, Bayonetta 2, GTA 5, Wonderful 101, and Rayman just to let them sit on the shelf. I'll pick up Pikmin and Bayonetta.

This isn't saying that I will never pick it up, well maybe. If a price drop happens, I'll pick it up.

I DID cancel my pre-order, since why keep my money on a game that isn't being released for 7 months now? I took it off of Legends and put it into Metal Gear Rising on the 360.

I don't think you understand.

The game is being delayed for little to no reason. Why would Wii U owner wants to buy the game now when its coming out in half a year? Not me. My money is on games like Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Zelda, etc.

If Ubisoft wanted to make money, they should have released it during the Wii U game drought. They also could have used the timed exclusivity to gain tons of sales. Good platformer, exclusive to Nintendo, no competition? Seems like an awesome time to launch!

But IN SEPTEMBER? It's like releasing Winnie the Pooh on the day Harry Potter Deathly Hallows was released. Pooh is a good movie, but it bombed hard as Harry took the spotlight.

Hey, I brought that up in my status update.

So not only is Legends no longer exclusive for WIi U, but all versions

are delayed to September, when GTAV is being released? Reminds me of

when Disney decided to prop Winnie the Pooh up against the final Harry

Potter movie, you'd think that both companies are trying to make their

products bomb on purpose. lulz

This isn't saying that I will never pick it up, well maybe. If a price drop happens, I'll pick it up.

Then mission accomplished. Ubisoft will still get your money, regardless the delay. They're just not getting the money from the people who are now canceling their pre-order and refusing to buy the game ever, which in my opinion, is even stupider than delaying a finished game in 7 months tongue.png

Edited by Jango

Then mission accomplished. Ubisoft will still get your money, regardless the delay. They're just not getting the money from the people who are now canceling their pre-order and refusing to buy the game ever, which in my opinion, is even stupider than delaying a finished game in 7 months tongue.png

If you can't see the issue with people canceling a preorder for a game they thought they were going to get this month instead of 7 months later, then honestly you're just as dense as Ubisoft. tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png :P

Edited by Soniman

I don't see anyone here saying they're "refusing to buy the game ever".

I didn't meant that for anyone here, tho. But take a look at the video Thigolf has posted tongue.png

If you can't see the issue with people canceling a preorder for a game

Actually meant that for who's not getting the game at all.

Edited by Jango

Neither have I. What's happening is that it's no longer a priority due to them deciding to release it in the worst possible time, rather than what was probably the best possible time.

Well, yeah, Ubisoft fucked up themselves, especially because GTA 5 is coming out at the same month like you already said, but that doesn't matter from a financial point for us. This was Ubi's stupid idea. And maybe is not such a bad idea, because Ubi will still have a large public that will get this game regardless of GTA. Did you thought about the kids? Or people who don't like GTA? Of course GTA will outsell Rayman, it will outsell all the games of the year, but since they're gone multiplatform, they will have more sales nevertheless.

I'm a huge fan of both franchises, and in September I'm definitely getting GTA, unless Legends is a day 1 digital on PSN. If not, I'm getting later, if you have another game in mind for September too, you should do the same instead of giving up completely... That is, if you really still care for the game and franchise.

Edited by Jango

Well I for one, who was quite interested in getting this one, have had it drop to the bottom of my priorities list thanks to this. Sorry Rayman, but you're no Zelda.

If not, I'm getting later, if you have another game in mind for September too, you should do the same instead of giving up completely... That is, you really still care for the game and franchise.

Where's the option where I can still like Rayman and not support stupid decisions?