Awoo.

Nintendo Power : Sonic Colors Almost Plays Like Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Teams Wants to use the Crazy Level Design from the old games+2 Zones confirmed

spiny blue

...eh, one of my life outlooks is the fact that nothing is original these days. As some of you guys have pointed out, almost everything's been more-or-less repeated or heavily inspired by one another. Which happens to be something that Sonic is already, uh, "guilty" of (*coughsupersoniccough*). But I don't mean that in a negative way, really.

Besides, has anyone considered that maybe Nintendo actually encouraged them to make a "Sonic Galaxy" type of game? They HAVE been working together, you know, on Mario & Sonic. It's unlikely, but it'd make sense if that's how this game turned out to be.

Can we at least wait until we see the game before we start pushing the Galaxy clone thing? Personally, I doubt Sonic Team would go in that direction without including the 360 or PS3 (as a Galaxy experience isn’t available for those consoles).

Edited by Gallia

Can we at least wait until we see the game before we start pushing the Galaxy clone thing? Personally, I doubt Sonic Team would go in that direction without including the 360 or PS3 (as a Galaxy experience isn’t available for those consoles).

The kiddie style of the game (which should need no more proof than the Wisps and name) means that it's suited to the two Nintendo systems. And then considering how Sonic games always sell worse on the PS3/360 than other systems, it makes sense to ignore them for this title. Now look at the concept- "Protagonist goes into space to help cute little 'animal' fro Big Bad from building an empire out there". Sonic Colours is CLEARLY heavily influenced by Galaxy, there's no denying that. It's just whether or not it's going to be original or a clone that we've yet to find out (and there's several degrees of how cloney or original it is).

EDIT: Changed "any" to "no". I completely said the wrong thing!

Edited by Blue Blood

The kiddie style of the game (which should need any more proof than the Wisps and name) means that it's suited to the two Nintendo systems. And then considering how Sonic games always sell worse on the PS3/360 than other systems, it makes sense to ignore them for this title. Now look at the concept- "Protagonist goes into space to help cute little 'animal' fro Big Bad from building an empire out there". Sonic Colours is CLEARLY heavily influenced by Galaxy, there's no denying that. It's just whether or not it's going to be original or a clone that we've yet to find out (and there's several degrees of how cloney or original it is).

To be honest, if you remove the cuddly aspect, 90% of the hardcore FPS’s on the market share the same concept at heart. Gaming in general tends to push in that direction, so I don’t see why Galaxy should be the first thing to come to mind there (perhaps because it is recent?). Especially considering that we are coming off of Unleashed, which was in many ways not even a platformer.

Colors to me is no more kiddie than Heroes was (unless giant cheeseburgers come to fruition – but speculating on rumors is pointless). I think we all remember turning the volume down on that “real super power of teamwork” bit.

Edited by Gallia

To be honest, if you remove the cuddly aspect, 90% of the hardcore FPS’s on the market share the same concept at heart. Gaming in general tends to push in that direction, so I don’t see why Galaxy should be the first thing to come to mind there (perhaps because it is recent?). Especially considering that we are coming off of Unleashed, which was in many ways not even a platformer.

Colors to me is no more kiddie than Heroes was (unless giant cheeseburgers come to fruition – but speculating on rumors is pointless). I think we all remember turning the volume down on that “real super power of teamwork” bit.

Doi, the cuddly aspect is incredibly vital. You can't remove it.

• Sonic News

Having a vaguely similar story that's been done before countless times in movies and television doesn't suddenly mean it's "heavily inspired" by anything.

Are their planetoids? Does the game play with gravity? Does it feature ANY of Galaxy's calling cards and big, notable features, aside from a space setting that Sonic has done FIRST, countless times, anyway?

If it does, then you'll have a point. Until then...

Having a vaguely similar story that's been done before countless times in movies and television doesn't suddenly mean it's "heavily inspired" by anything.

It's the entire nature of the game- the theme. Heavily inspired doesn't mean it's gonna be a cheap knock off though.

EDIT: You edited, so I will too. Sonic may well have done space first (and countless times at that), but his take has always been base-like or mechanical. Galaxy was hugely successful, so why wouldn't SEGA take cues from it? They aren't making a carbon-copy of Galaxy with a Sonic skin here. They're looking at a competitor that's done well, and they're learning from it.

Edited by Blue Blood

Doi, the cuddly aspect is incredibly vital. You can't remove it.

I am just saying that cuddly or not, going into space to stop the enemy isn’t some Galaxy trademark. Just because Sonic is doing it here doesn’t have to = Galaxy inspiration.

Long story short, what nuckles87 just said. Show me something and I’ll believe it. Until then, jumping to conclusions isn’t fair to Colors, or our collective expectations.

Edited by Gallia

(perhaps because it is recent?).

Indeed. At least that's how it is for me.

A space-based game on the Wii that's hot off the heels of the highly popular Galaxy games is no coincidence to me. Things like food-based platforms and a drill powerup are icing on the cake.

I don't necessarily think it's going to play like Galaxy (especially since there are Unleashed/Rush comparisons), but there are definitely cues conceptually.

I am just saying that cuddly or not, going into space to stop the enemy isn’t some Galaxy trademark. Just because Sonic is doing it here doesn’t have to = Galaxy inspiration.

Long story short, what nuckles87 just said. Show me something and I’ll believe it. Until then, jumping to conclusions isn’t fair to Colors, or our collective expectations.

I'm not. I think it's more than obvious that SEGA have thought "Hey, that Mario game well, and people seemed to like the more light-hearted side of Unleashed. We should remember that".

I don't necessarily think it's going to play like Galaxy (especially since there are Unleashed/Rush comparisons), but there are definitely cues conceptually.

I'm not. I think it's more than obvious that SEGA have thought "Hey, that Mario game well, and people seemed to like the more light-hearted side of Unleashed. We should remember that".

“Conceptually” I almost might be inclined to agree. But then I remember that “conceptually” Sonic started out as an Armadillo, and his role was almost given to a Toon Teddy Roosevelt. I don’t think that we should be giving too much, if any credit to vague comparisons between Galaxy and Colors after getting nothing but a teaser and press release.

If you want to connect the dots like that, than you might as well take it to the extreme and say genres themselves are me-too copycats. Its the same logic.

Edited by Gallia

I agree with the opinions on this page. People are comparing this to Galaxy's story now? I thought Mario was the one with no story development.

When I heard this announcement it was a few things. Colorful environment. Power ups. Amusement park in space.

The amusement park theme especially brings me back to games like Chaotix, I like that. Gravity hasn't been mentioned here, so I don't see how we can call it a clone. I played Galaxy for the gravity gimmick, not really the whole Luma thing. I'm certain the game will be very different.

Just to set the record straight, I could hardly be any happier with what we know about Colours so far. The only thing that would make it any better is if Tails was playable, but that can be overlooked. Everything in that teaser and press release is just perfect.

No promises as it's no guarantee that I'll get it so quickly, but my local bookstore has their next month's shipment, so there's a shot of them having the issue and a shot of me getting it soon enough.

Should I get it soon enough, before the article's actually been scanned by someone (yeah right), then you can count on me delivering, but I just need to have it in my hands!

I've organized it so that they'll give me a shout as soon as they find it.

Edited by Hero of Legend

Inspiration is looking at a harbour crane and getting the idea for the AT-AT. It sounds to me like they're using the same thing for the same purpose even though there's no particular reason to. Why would they think to give Sonic a drill power when he could already do that?

Drills are also becoming more and more used, Phos. The two games are both endemic of a trend that's just going on as of current.

Why would they think to give Sonic a drill power when he could already do that?

To be fair, we don't know exactly how deep the surfaces that Sonic's supposed to drill through are in Colors. Sure, he's used his iconic spin to break through walls in previous titles (Ex: Sonic the Hedgehog's Hill Top), but for the most part they were usually either very thin or weak to begin with. It's possible that the drill is intended for drilling through really deep areas (such as through a very thick column of extruding earth top-to-bottom, Super Mario Galaxy 2-style), or simply just to retrieve hidden items underground akin to Knuckles' Shovel Claw abilities. It's really too early to judge the drill function, since we don't even know what its intended use is yet.

Edited by HunterTSF

It'd be cool if the levels were massive with like four or five layers of alternate and sometimes branching paths. We could use the drill power anytime, anywhere and multiple times.

Part of me thinks they're making the levels into something extra if they're going to put in powers like these. That's what's gotten me interested in this game.

I don't buy it considering that there's no particular reason for Sonic to even need one.

Good point, but then Sonic doesn't need a Wisp to boost either. His boost has been powered by rings, soul orbs, and flips in the air. Could it be the drill is exactly what you're thinking of - a Sonic spin? Only you need a Wisp to do this in the context of the game? That'd be very natural and make me happy.

Edited by Dabnikz

It sounds to me like they're using the same thing for the same purpose even though there's no particular reason to. Why would they think to give Sonic a drill power when he could already do that?

He can't drill through every wall, so he needs some help? /completely missing the point

We don't know how the Wisp powers work, Phos. We don't know if the Wisp will literally BE a drill, or if the Wisp will 'guide/allow' Sonic to drill, or whatever.

Sure, it's a silly, redundant, idea. But every game in history has a silly, redundant idea. In fact, games feed on silly, redundant, ideas! (Honestly, I have no idea why Bowser doesn't just pick Mario up and throw him in the BLACK HOLE 10 feet away from the boss arena in Mario Galaxy 2).

• Thumbs Up 1