Awoo.

Nintendo Power : Sonic Colors Almost Plays Like Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Teams Wants to use the Crazy Level Design from the old games+2 Zones confirmed

spiny blue

I thought Colours was a new 3D Sonic game...

On the Wii.

DS it's just going to be rush 3 apparently. That would actually be good, if Dimps isn't on this, I want to see how another team uses Rush's style.

I don't want to sound like I'm jumping on the "Super Sonic Galaxy" bandwagon, because I really am trying to give SEGA the benefit of the doubt here, but I don't see why people are so happy about this. I see this as an attempt to parrot Mario Galaxy,

Now I probably sound crazy or fanboyish to some of you, and it's obvious that Mario was not the first character to traverse worlds that have this theme, but I have to sit and contemplate this for a minute. Sonic is getting a game centered around going into outer space, gaining different powers(which is uncommon in Sonic games yet a key feature in Mario games) one of which is supposed to allow Sonic to drill through things.

I know Mario didn't necessarily get to any one of these concepts first, but it did bring them together, and I have to ask: if Mario didn't do it, would Sonic have?

I dunno. I'm not hating on the game or anything(although you people are probably going to give me negative rep up the ass for this) but I can't shake the feeling that SEGA isn't exactly being original here. I mean I like the idea of visiting fantastic levels like the ones the classic games had, but I think they could've done something more original.

I could be wrong though- I certainly hope I am, and I'm going to continue to wait and see more before jumping to conclusions.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'll side with you there. Maybe they are taking one too many cues from Mario Galaxy here. Amongst all the tropes seen in Sonic levels, a food based level was never one of them. Let's just see how things go.

I dunno. I'm not hating on the game or anything(although you people are probably going to give me negative rep up the ass for this) but I can't shake the feeling that SEGA isn't exactly being original here.

It's kinda hard to be original these days is it not? With every other idea practically already out there XD I know there is a few games out there that have done the "original" but still...

Edited by Lunar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know what your saying, but almost in every Mario game, they come up with some crazy idea that works! Even flud is one of the few things that wasn't taken from any other game. Drilling through planets? Never done that idea before, and even creating your own cloud to jump on?

I know Sega Team can come up with great ideas, expecally with how crazy Sonic World is! They just need to make it work is all.

i don't think shadow and knuckles , knuckles and shadow doesn't fit a calm story line since this game is aimed for kids.

Dude, listen to what you're saying, and look at the series you're talking about. Shadow and Knuckles have both been aimed at kids since they were created, and I'm sure the kids this is aimed at would LOVE to see those two in this game.

Rocky Road Galaxy, the one where the only form of food at all in the level was a cake?

everything else was just OMG SWIRLY COLORS.

oh, and it was one level. with one theme.

a theme other games have used in the past.

and space, another thing several games have used in the past.

with no planetoids.

or stars.

or a larger emphasis on platforming.

makes it totally Sonic Galaxy guys. yepper. sharing a few things makes games just rip each other off so hard.

Though, I do wonder why Sonic needs a drill. He's a hedgehog. One of the things a hedgehog does is dig. I can confirm this, I have had a runaway pet hedgehog take shelter in my backyard by making a surprisingly deep hole within a few minutes. They are digging creatures. There is no need for a drill Sega.

Next they're going to say Tails is a vegetarian, and that Knuckles only has a two headed penis.

• Bad Quality Post 1

PBF145-Nunez.jpg

I want to see a cupcake avalanche or something like that. How does snowboarding through frosting sound? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Rocky Road Galaxy, the one where the only form of food at all in the level was a cake?

everything else was just OMG SWIRLY COLORS.

Swirly colors meant to represent chocolate and frosting. And SMG had giant food in other worlds besides Sweet Sweet Galaxy. Not to mention

Galaxy 2 had a pastry themed level too, although I'm not saying they're trying to parrot that because most people only knew of it upon release.

And once again, I realize that Galaxy was not the first or only game to do these things but I'm not ruling out the chance that it was because of them that they did it. Even if God of War wasn't a totally original game by any means, tons of people tried to replicate it for its success and incorporated elements it had in it, some with less grace and subtlety than others. The point I'm trying to make here is that you don't have to be first at doing something to end up being ripped-off, if that makes any sense.

And I made note to distance myself from the notion that this is just Super Sonic Galaxy, even if I think they might be taking too much "inspiration" from it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Swirly colors meant to represent chocolate and frosting.

Then I guess Nintendo needs an eye check because that shit looks like painted rocks.

also smg2 has a pastry level? hmm, i must not be there yet.

Even so, it's taking very few cues from Galaxy. In fact, it would really only be the drill thing, and Knuckles was digging into seekret rooms before Mario.

Earthworm Jim was travelling to food based planets way before Mario made it cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damnit, all I can think about is Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 when I hear about the sweets-based stage. I need to stop that.

also smg2 has a pastry level? hmm, i must not be there yet.

Sweet Mystery Galaxy. You use Yoshi and the Bulb Fruit to get through a stage of hidden candy and pastry based platforms, and find a star on a disappearing cake at the end.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

If true, I am very pleased with this news. I loved the Unleashed Wii daytime stages and Sonic Rush/Adventure, so it sounds like both versions will be an insta-buy for me at this rate.

I honestly couldn't give a fuck if it tries to ride on the Mario Galaxy train as long as the game itself is good.

If Sonic Team is making this then I'm all for it. Unleashed Wii was a huge bundle of fuck and I'm glad that Dimps got degraded to do the DS version.

Disappointed at the lack of scans but this atleast sounds a bit promising.

I can't help but wonder if this game is the cause of the "Sonic in Galaxy 2" rumors.

It really is taking a lot of cues from it. It's in space, helping little floating creatures deal with the classic villain. These same creatures give Sonic new powers, similar to the luma giving Mario the spin... Again. One of those powers is a drill and one is a speed booster, both of these are in Galaxy. Now I'm hearing that they've got pastry levels as well? There was more than one level in SMG based around desserts, there was that level with all the holes on the fast moving platforms and the level near the end with the spring shroom. Interestingly, I also had an idea for a Sonic game a while back where every level was on a different planet, but didn't really think anything of it because I thought it would be too similar to SMG. A similar sort of thing happened with Unleashed, but I ignored that idea for reasons I can't recall. I think it's because I didn't like the idea of playing through an entire game as something that handeled like Goron Link while rolled up. I really wish Sonic Team would bounce more ideas off the wall before deciding how to make a game.

But regardless, being superficialy similar to SMG is a problem for Sega because of the inevitable "Just play Galaxy" reccomendations.

I'm going to stop going to bed XD

Why the hell do people leak this info on forums without providing scans?

Gah I miss everything when I sleep. This all sounds cool but some scans would be nice.

Rumour News'd it

Noticed since he/she posted the initial details post he/she's posted these extra bits -

Last time I checked the storybook games didn’t have platforming, and there will be platforming.

Also there’s a level with giant Cheeseburgers.

I’m being serious, its really there, you also bounce off jello.

Sonic is getting a game centered around going into outer space, gaining different powers(which is uncommon in Sonic games yet a key feature in Mario games) one of which is supposed to allow Sonic to drill through things.
errr... green hill zone act 1?

errr... green hill zone act 1?

The Wisp energy enables Sonic to create new paths through the stages by drilling through the ground (Yellow Drill) for example, or speeding through the stage as a laser (Cyan Laser).

That's from the press release. I thought the same thing as you until I went back and read it again.

Edited by Blue Blood

The Wisp energy enables Sonic to create new paths through the stages by drilling through the ground (Yellow Drill) for example, or speeding through the stage as a laser (Cyan Laser).

Hill Top Zone. Several times.

• Thumbs Up 2

A level with giant cheese burgers? So long as there's a Mcdonalds cameo, I'm sold. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Hill Top Zone. Several times.

Meh. I could also say Ice Cap Zone (S3) and everywhere Knuckles can go in the Adventure games as well.. As it's one of these new abilities that likely won't be seen after this game, you can bet it'll be different to what we've seen before.

Meh. I could also say Ice Cap Zone (S3) and everywhere Knuckles can go in the Adventure games as well.. As it's one of these new abilities that likely won't be seen after this game, you can bet it'll be different to what we've seen before.

You drill into the ground.

How have we not seen that before?

wait hold on, I think i'm not sure what point i'm arguing here.