Awoo.

Nintendo Power : Sonic Colors Almost Plays Like Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Teams Wants to use the Crazy Level Design from the old games+2 Zones confirmed

spiny blue

I wonder if ,because EggmanLand returns, is this a sequel to Unleashed? Maybe not but I like to wonder this.

So what if the ability or something like it has been present in a Sonic game before? We don't cry because we see the homing attack in every game. I mean, we don't cry because we always get the lightspeed dash.

I've got a feeling the drilling into the ground will be different to the classics and I don't remember anyone complaining about the homing attack in the 3D games when we'd already seen it somewhat in Sonic 3D with the lightning shield.

no thanks for spiny blue for the heads up? :o

(just kidding)

Oh yeah sorry, I knew I was forgetting something :lol: *goes to add it*

Done

Oh yeah sorry, I knew I was forgetting something :lol: *goes to add it*

Done

doesn't really affect me but thanks any ways :P

so i guess this game is fun focused and i think sonic team is just absorbing the fun level design from the old games and adding them to the game , lets just hope the wisps doesn't kill or affect the fun experience.

i also have news that aren't posted yet btw :

http://www.cute fluffy kittensnews.com/2010/05/27/exclusive-sonic-colors-developed-by-storybook-division-meant-for-young-crowd/

why does it always says fluffy when i post the news link from cute fluffy kittensnews lol

Edited by spiny blue

why does it always says fluffy when i post the news link from cute fluffy kittensnews lol

It's a censor. T.S.S.Z (without about the dots of course) always becomes cute fluffy kittens because it's funny. =P

Sonic Rush 3 will suck because no Blaze T_T

No seriously, I refuse to call it a Rush sequel if Sonic is the only playable character. I'll probably still get it though.

Other than that, sounds OK. I was hoping for it to be a little less like Unleashed. If the gameplay is Unleashed style I guess that means this is a mainseries title? ;)

I dunno man, why is Sonic a giant blue hedgehog who can fluently speak english?

Translation convention I can forgive. Blancmange as a vacuum-resistant superstructure... less so. It explodes the bounds of credulity rather than just straining them.

While we're at it, why not declare that the Master Emerald is made out of spongecake and Tails gets his mechanical ideas from a sentint lump of bree with a grudge against Robotnik's sentient lump of bree? The Sonic games have always retained at least some semblance of their own internal logic; pastry landscape is something of a step backwards for those of us who like to make sense of things.

Also:

I dunno. I'm not hating on the game or anything(although you people are probably going to give me negative rep up the ass for this) but I can't shake the feeling that SEGA isn't exactly being original here. I mean I like the idea of visiting fantastic levels like the ones the classic games had, but I think they could've done something more original.

... It's a lame and derivative Mario clone in a game which is already a lame and derivaive Mario clone (according to the best rumour / evidence we have).

No seriously, I refuse to call it a Rush sequel if Sonic is the only playable character. I'll probably still get it though.

Then don't. Call it something else, like... oh I don't know.. Sonic Colours perhaps?

• Thumbs Up 1

Then don't. Call it something else, like... oh I don't know.. Sonic Colours perhaps?

Yeaah yeaaah I know. I just don't like it when games have less content than their predecessors, especially if this is directly comparable to the Rush games.

Yeaah yeaaah I know. I just don't like it when games have less content than their predecessors, especially if this is directly comparable to the Rush games.

There may well be one less character (which I'll admit is absolute D=) but let's not call less content just yet. It could end up as a Rush to Rush Adventure deal. Rush Adventure had all of the boating, missions and mini-island added, yet stripped away the idea of having two stories. I do understand what you mean though. Wouldn't it be awesome if this game had a hub?

EDIT: That was supposed to say "I do understand what you mean though." (And partly agree)

Edited by Blue Blood

There may well be one less character (which I'll admit is absolute D=) but let's not call less content just yet. It could end up as a Rush to Rush Adventure deal. Rush Adventure had all of the boating, missions and mini-island added, yet stripped away the idea of having two stories. I don understand what you mean though. Wouldn't it be awesome if this game had a hub?

It would be awesome if it had a good hub :P but good point. Still, the good thing about Blaze, even in SRA, was that although limited, they could go different ways in stages. I imagine the stages might be a bit more linear like this, since there's no excuse to bulk them out.

It would be nice if there was an optional character for use outside story mode.

Sonic Rush 3? I wonder if the DS version will speed boosters and dodgy physics. Classic Dimps if they do. :o

Edited by Tealer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Not sure I'm too keen on the idea of a pastry/ sweets based level, myself. I mean, yeah, okay, so long as it plays well, but design-wise, it's a bit too 'out there', if you ask me.

Sonic levels are (generally) fairly grounded in reality- forests, deserts, caves, and what have you. This is why I felt that Music Plant and Toy Kingdom (and to a slightly lesser extent, Techno Base and Cyber Track) from Sonic Advance 2 and 3 respectively felt a bit out of place. They were the first levels in Sonic games that really felt totally surreal in a sort of "No way could anything even close to this ever exist as a real life location".

Not that it made the levels themselves any less entertaining to play, but it did irk me that they were a bit too surreal to the Sonic norm.

• Thumbs Up 2

*wipes crust from eyes and squints*

Sounds pretty nice, I suppose. There definitely increasing the feeling of this being a "me too" to Mario Galaxy, but I wouldn't mind if the game turns out half as good. If they're going to copy Galaxy, I really hope they bring back classic Badniks in 3D. I loved seeing Dry Bones and the crawling Koopas in the first Galaxy, and apparently Galaxy 2 has Hammerhead Bros and winged Goombas. :D

Still, there still sounds like a good chance that the Wii version is going to be like Unleashed Wii. If so, I wouldn't buy it for anything more than $20. Or just wait for my little brother to purchase it like I do most Sonic games these days.

However, if this "DS version = Rush 3" thing keeps up, it will be the one that gets my money. I'll miss Hideki Naganuma and Blaze, but I'll be good if the gameplay can live up to the predecessors.

Disappointed that there are no scans to validate the news. Though like everyone I'm hoping for Sonic 2, Tails tag-a-long action. As for Knuckles and Shadow being in the game, they better have a good excuse for them to be in the story other than for fanservice and/or to complete the trio.

Still, there still sounds like a good chance that the Wii version is going to be like Unleashed Wii. If so, I wouldn't buy it for anything more than $20.

Or maybe it'll be decent and worth £30 because it doesn't have to take the backseat this time? Regardless of what you think of them, the two storybook titles had some amazing visuals for the Wii. Now imagine that level of effort and style with Unleashed gameplay and you probably have Sonic Colours.

I still think that DIMPS did alright with Unleashed Wii's daytime stages considering the fact that they probably didn't have as much development time as Sonic Team, had less creative control and had never made proper 3D Sonic stages before.

Also, enough with the "this game did it first!". If Sonic isn't original for copying Mario, then Mario isn't original for copying Rayman. And the latter probably copied a few ideas another game or two used anyway. Besides, Mario-quality level design with Sonic's speed sounds pretty awesome to me!

OK, I'm done.

*raises flame shield*

• Thumbs Up 1

It also said that in the 3D sections it will focus more on running from A-B akin to the Daytime stages of Unleashed, while the 2D sections will be more for platforming.

Interesting. If this is really true, I mean the 2D being platform heavy, then that just may be where we get our game lengh from since it's legitamately sonic only this time. Of course the platforming may just end up being Sonic rush like in Wii Unleased, leaving us to fake length from missions.

EDIT: You know, I'm not agreeing or anything, but of all bandwagons to jump on, isn't Mario Galaxy the best one that could have been chosen?

Edited by Chaos Walker

Or maybe it'll be decent and worth £30 because it doesn't have to take the backseat this time? Regardless of what you think of them, the two storybook titles had some amazing visuals for the Wii. Now imagine that level of effort and style with Unleashed gameplay and you probably have Sonic Colours.

I still think that DIMPS did alright with Unleashed Wii's daytime stages considering the fact that they probably didn't have as much development time as Sonic Team, had less creative control and had never made proper 3D Sonic stages before.

Perhaps. My main problems with Unleashed Wii did all stem from the fact that it was an afterthought. There was no platforming to be found in the Daytime levels. But even if the game has more dedication than Unleashed Wii, I'm not exactly filled with confidence with the Storybook team leading development. I liked Secret Rings well enough, but Black Knight was atrocious and it didn't have to take a backseat to anything.

Also, enough with the "this game did it first!". If Sonic isn't original for copying Mario, then Mario isn't original for copying Rayman. And the latter probably copied a few ideas another game or two used anyway. Besides, Mario-quality level design with Sonic's speed sounds pretty awesome to me!

It's not the matter that Mario did it first that makes me suspicious, but the fact that he just did it not too long ago. There have been platformers in space before (Ristar) as well as ones with food themed levels (Mickey and Donald Genesis game I had). But Mario just got done having big space adventures on the Wii with some delectable world, and now Sonic comes forth with a space adventure on the Wii with food for platforms? And they even have a drill? I doubt that's a coincidence.

But as I said before, I won't really care if the inspiration leads to a good game.

Edited by SykoTech

What about Black Knight was atrocious, exactly? I can understand if you didn't particularly care for the on-rails gameplay style, but the levels, story and general handling of the characters, all with "Sonic"-styled gameplay I might add, was all excellent and of quality. I hate to say it but if Black Knight controlled more like Unleashed or SA2B but with the swordplay combat added in I'd probably love it more, if only because I'd have preferred more control of Sonic's general movement.

If they can inject that kind of effort and style into an Unleashed game formula (with more emphasis on platforming) then I don't know how they could go wrong, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Can't wait to see scans (if this does turn out to be true of course). From everything that was posted I think this game sounds really nice and I'm looking forward to seeing some footage :)

You just know that GUN's going to waste billions of taxpayer dollars developing a weaponized anti-pastry after this.

Apart from the obvious "baww no scans" sentiment that I think we all share, this is sounding about as good as I could hope, based on prior information. It doesn't sound like it'll be on rails, at least, and that's a weight off my mind. Hopefully the combination of that and a more conventional setting will result in a game with all of the qualities of Black Knight (and outside of gameplay, it had quite a few) and fewer of the faults.

I'm hoping these rumors are true, because traversing over pastries and cheeseburgers sounds fucking awesome. Galaxy had a level with like, 1 giant cake in it, I guess, but that's about it. This sounds much more centered on mountains of food and the like, I'm hoping we get legitimate scans and info soon because I'd like to see how they pull this off.

• Thumbs Up 1