Awoo.

Nintendo Power : Sonic Colors Almost Plays Like Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Teams Wants to use the Crazy Level Design from the old games+2 Zones confirmed

spiny blue

over-your-head-idiots-demotivational-poster-1213479318.jpg

Wouldn't have happened if it wasn't such a shitty joke :|

Oh and as usual, I say save the BOOSTBOOSTBOOST for Super Sonic, and use the Spin Dash otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wouldn't have happened if it wasn't such a shitty joke :|

Haters gonna hate. =3

How many times. Sonic went into space BEFORE Mario.

Nintendo "Copied" Sonic with Galaxy. Remeber the gravity swapping in S3K and the piss-poor gravity platforming in SA2?

Anyways. Yeah, this game looks good.

Gravity altering land and going into space isn't new. There have been games where you went into space before *coughcougheccothedolphincoughcough*, and there have been games that alter gravity.

And Sonic's still never actually traveled THROUGH space and to different planets and such. He's only ever gone to the local space colony/doom fortress in orbit.

Edited by Black Spy

And Sonic's still never actually traveled THROUGH space and to different planets and such.

Seriously though, I get your point. Although going into space in this game just sounds like a story element to me, and probably won't have an effect on game-play. (unlike in Mario Galaxy)

Seriously though, I get your point. Although going into space in this game just sounds like a story element to me, and probably won't have an effect on game-play. (unlike in Mario Galaxy)

That, and it lets him get away with some seriously outlandish environments. It's okay that there's an entire planet made of giant food, it's IN SPAAAAAAAAACE!!!

It's what gave Mario the perfect opportunity to traverse some really bizarre places, and open up some really unique level design without utterly shattering the player's suspension of disbelief.

So don't call Sonic a rip-off in that regard.

What IS sorta copy-catting Mario is the usage of planets. Hell, a planet looking like "a badnik's head" sounds like something ripped right out of Galaxy 2's golden little hands (Chomp-Chomp Galaxy, anyone?). Plus, the power-up system even sounds familiar, especially the drill...

Still, I'm eager to see how the game plays before calling it a blatant rip-off of anything.

It's what gave Mario the perfect opportunity to traverse some really bizarre places, and open up some really unique level design without utterly shattering the player's suspension of disbelief.

Mario games have talking bombs.

Mario games have turtles that kick their shells around.

Mario games have a small fat italian plumber jump higher than small huts and break bricks with his head.

Mario games have dinosaurs that are ridable and change color depending on what they eat.

Mario games have mushrooms that make you twice your size, turn you into a bee, turn you into a ghost, and grant you the ability to resurrect yourself from the dead.

Mario games have flowers that allow you to make fireballs with your hands, turn you into ice, and allow you to create clouds where you please.

They do not need space for outlandish environments. They just need bonus stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Sonic's still never actually traveled THROUGH space and to different planets and such. He's only ever gone to the local space colony/doom fortress in orbit.

Check this out though. Planets as levels? Ristar. This is totally familiar Sonic team territory. Besides, Mad Space was back in 2001.

Check this out though. Planets as levels? Ristar. This is totally familiar Sonic team territory. Besides, Mad Space was back in 2001.

But SONIC has never done that, and asteroids don't count.

Check this out though. Planets as levels? Ristar.

Oh yeah that reminds me IT'S FUCKING FLORA.

That planet in the trailer? Notice the blue hues? LIKE FUCKING FLORA?

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhh this game needs to have sonic meet ristar or some sort of ristar cameo or something because it's fucking flora and it's annoying as shit.

I love everything about Sonic Rush and everything except how you get your boost gauge up and I hated how you had to do all the tricks because it got repetitive. I hope they change the way you fill it up in Sonic Colors DS and really, I hope you collect rings just like you do in Sonic Unleashed to fill it up. The whole game sounds great and can't wait to see some footage at E3! ^_^

Edited by Future

TwilightMap.png

WHEEEE!

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh.

This game still looks awesome.

The graphics look fantastic. I just hope there aren't any framerate problems though.

60fps is mandatory, Kinda disappointed with the 30fps in Unleashed.

Can't wait till E3 anyways.

Hey there ArkAngelUK!

EDIT: Don't bother he's already gone

Edited by Scartillery

60fps is mandatory, Kinda disappointed with the 30fps in Unleashed.

Yeah, if Sonic Heroes ran at 60 Fps(on Gamecube and Xbox anyway) there's no reason this shouldn't.

Does the Twilight Cage really count as "space", though?

Can't really imagine what else those planets are floating around in.

Edited by The Soldier

Frozen Nitrogen's post just reminded me of this:

WackyWorlds.jpg

Yes, obviously it's not canon. But still.

:P

You said the entire game would just be flat landscape.

There is a large hill that you seem to have to drill through/go up to the top and get a drill whisp.

the landscape is not flat, as there is a fucking hill.

You said it's the kind of hill you can hold right and run over.

That is every fucking hill in every video game ever other than ones made for platforming (ex: hills that go sharply upwards that have to be jumped over, traversed).

I'm... not seeing how you could be right.

I think you're making a strawman without realizing it, because I don't think I said anything like that. What I said was that a hypothetical exagerated example if mine meant to highlight the problems with using/abusing these set pieces has now been created by Sonic Team. Were it not for the drill wisp (which might not even have been collected from atop that structure), you would hold right to go through it with no interuption of any sort. Because these set pieces require no intervention by the player, a level that uses a large amount of them

will inevitably be more automated than one that does not. While there are many other set pieces that fit that description, Sonic Team freaquently seems to mistake them for actual platforming.

The very fact that Sonic can break the sound barrier means that he can probably maintain more than enough momentum to bypass nearly any obstacle whether he's curled up or not.

He probably can, but there's no garuntee that he'll still be in one piece after he does it. He's been shown to be pretty tough, but face first through steel? I guess the ring energy did it.

So we go down a hill, then Sonic keeps this horribly fast speed as long as he's in a ball, and zips right off the edge of the map because he doesn't slow down?

Who put a bottomless pit there?

Sliding slows down too fast. You can't transfer nearly any of the speed you gained from sliding downhill because of how it does the opposite of my description of rolling, and emphasizes deceleration.

While I have no idea why people think this, sliding does not have the same properties as rolling. Go to Empire City act 1, slide as soon as the level starts, watch the speedometer.

I think you're making a strawman without realizing it, because I don't think I said anything like that. What I said was that a hypothetical exagerated example if mine meant to highlight the problems with using/abusing these set pieces has now been created by Sonic Team. Were it not for the drill wisp (which might not even have been collected from atop that structure), you would hold right to go through it with no interuption of any sort. Because these set pieces require no intervention by the player, a level that uses a large amount of them

will inevitably be more automated than one that does not. While there are many other set pieces that fit that description, Sonic Team freaquently seems to mistake them for actual platforming.

Yes, but every Hill and/or loop requires no intervention from the player other than pressing right.

Just because the shape of the hill is odd deosn't mean its bad.

Even if they hadn't put such a bizarrely square hill, it would have been exactly the same: Puch the right button to get past it.

Magazine-related, looks like both versions of Sonic Colors (ソニック カラーズ) are in this week's Famitsu on page 226:

2v12s6r.jpg

Hope we get more screens!

More screens, MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!

Edited by Hero of Legend

Scartillery & EXshad: All right, I stand corrected on my statement of Sonic copying Super Mario Galaxy. I should of remembered the Genesis games of all things when I typed that up. :lol: Oh well, thanks for the corrections, guys.

Edited by Spyne

XD Haha, it's fine. A lot of stuff is overlooked :P But that was back in the days when the 2 still stood toe-to-toe... ahh well. In all fairness, Mario Galaxy DID do a lot of innovating, and improved on the Crazy Gadget stuff big-time. And I'm positive their original intention wasn't to copy that; it was just a coincidence.

Still, Sonic Colors DOES seem to be ripping off Galaxy's power-ups! I just don't think calling a game that involves planet navigating a Mario rip-off is fair.

Mario Galaxy DID do a lot of innovating, and improved on the Crazy Gadget stuff big-time.

Did you mean Mad Space with all the gravity effects?

Did you mean Mad Space with all the gravity effects?

There was gravity platforming in Crazy Gadget.

It was better than it was for Mad Space though.

Yes, but that was primarily because Sonic was still on a flat surface, it just shifted from up, down, left, and right. Mad Space was.... well-done at the time, but kinda aggravating. Especially with the annoying treasure hunting-style gameplay.