Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

To the people complaining about Wotter's evo not making sense, lets look at the Totodile line:

>Crocodile >Crocodile >Ailigator.

It's not the best example, but it's something I thought of.

Anyways: I like the starter evos (except Pokabu's 2nd Evo, but it'll grow on me) and I like most of them.

Voltorb/Electrode is still the worst designs in Pokemon history though.

Way to miss the point. It doesn't look anything like or related to it's prevos in the slightest, whereas all of the Totodile line look related.

Yeah to be honest it is quite underwhelming :( I still know Im gonna enjoy it tho! the game is pretty good, and once I get my cyndaquil everything will be fine xD

O-M-G!!!! pretty much all pokemon leaked! >o< http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon.shtml Dont go unless you want to be spoiled. I kinda wish I didnt see that >> Well I must say Theres some cool ones, and a lot of "WTF" ones. ...kinda dissapointed really... Megurokkos final evo is win ;3
Oh, wow. There's definitely some pretty bizarre ones, but at the same time I keep running into ones that are pretty awesome. I'm liking this generation...

Hiyakki, Abagoora, Swaana, Warubiru, Kirikizan, and Meloia are my nakamas. They are the elite, and they will demolish all those who oppose them.

I don't necessarily dislike the final water starter, but it's a terrible evolution of it. Otter > Otter > Sea lion. There's nothing in common there at all.

Tsutarja final evolution isn't all that perfect itself.

Tsutarja final evolution isn't all that perfect itself.

What? I never said it was. In fact, read my next post and you'll see I'm not a fan of it either.

[insert crying/whining sound here, because I don't know how to accurately convey it with letters]

So I get on the internet and the first thing I'm told is this gen sucked. And as I look around, people are calling it the worst gen, some say it's terrible in every sense, some say it's very hit or miss... and I just don't know if I want to spoil the designs now.

Let's say that they're designs I'll like. Then if I don't spoil them, I'll play the game happily finding and evolving new pokémon I like and all around enjoying myself.

If I won't like them, every horrible thing I see is only going to hurt my spirit. If I know them beforehand... I can get used to them. I mean, I despised Wotter but love him now, so maybe the same can happen for another pokémon.

DECISIOOOOOONS.

What? I never said it was. In fact, read my next post and you'll see I'm not a fan of it either.

Hohoho, so I've seen here and I apologize. However, the point still remains and it's the look that matters. Wotter could envole to an icicle duck. As long as the duck looks cool, then there shouldn't be any problems.

[insert crying/whining sound here, because I don't know how to accurately convey it with letters]

So I get on the internet and the first thing I'm told is this gen sucked. And as I look around, people are calling it the worst gen, some say it's terrible in every sense, some say it's very hit or miss... and I just don't know if I want to spoil the designs now.

Let's say that they're designs I'll like. Then if I don't spoil them, I'll play the game happily finding and evolving new pokémon I like and all around enjoying myself.

If I won't like them, every horrible thing I see is only going to hurt my spirit. If I know them beforehand... I can get used to them. I mean, I despised Wotter but love him now, so maybe the same can happen for another pokémon.

DECISIOOOOOONS.

Wait it out. If they can grow on you like Wotter, then there shouldn't be any problems. Even if you don't like the new forms, the enjoyment out of cathcing pokemon that you find epic, because IMO most of them are epic, would be satisfying. I'm just going off your post though, so maybe this isn't the best decision.

I like them, >(.

Seriously, I don't really see what the fuss is about. The new Pokemon look pretty awesome to me for the most part. Of course I have a few that I really hate *coughTabunnecough*, but most of the others look acceptable in my opinion.

As for the starters, I really do love the grass and water ones. In that last interview a few days ago, the creators of the Pokemon stated that they wanted to have an element of surprise, and the water one does just that. And hell, when the fuck are Pokemon NEEDING TO MAKE SENSE?!?!. Remoraid to Octillary? Monsters fitting into balls? Pokemasters under the age of like what, 15? Seriously, XD. Sea lions and otters, both mammals that camp on the surface of waters. Close enough.

Anyways, I thought the dog was going to be better, D;. It's one of those that go from awesome, to not so much, D;. The centipede is super win though, especially it's "cocoon" type. Reminds me a lot of that Wind Waker enemy. Those 3 legendary trio thing is pretty lame using the exact same sprite with only a recolor and slight changes though. I bet they work awesomely together in a triple battle however.

SO glad that the bird fossil was what I was hoping for: archeopteryx. Though not the design I would have went with, it's still pretty badass; though the turtle's design is better in my opinion.

Gotta say that my favorites are the Polar Bear, Zoroark, Zebra, Wargle.

I think 5th Gen places 3rd in my favorite generations. I don't know, maybe 1st gen is better still, but I really do like these. It's probably 3rd>2nd>1st>5th>4th, with 1st and 5th kinda tied.

Just my opinion, and I know I spoke very generalized at points, but whatever, I'm excited, XD.

-Blur

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell I am LOVING this gen~! I love a lot of these designs.

I am maining the dragon/dark pokemon to the point I'm claiming it as my trademark pokemon

Edit:

Metal Gear RAY catchable confirmed

Edited by Rotom

Way to miss the point. It doesn't look anything like or related to it's prevos in the slightest, whereas all of the Totodile line look related.

Remoraid - Octillery

Remoraid - Octillery

That's a proper odd one, yes. But for the starters? Bleh, don't like them going through such a change.

So verdicts on the starter all round

Grass goes from alright, to eh, to lame.

Fire goes from cool, to bad, to awful.

Water goes from cool, to awesome, to terrible.

As far as starters go... Gen 4 > Gen 1 > Gen2 > Gen 3 > Colosseum and every other spin off title > Gen 5.

The rest of the Pokémon vary from rather decent to pretty dreadful. I'll have to wait to see the art though.

Really? The grass starter's evolution line is lame? If no one has noticed, it's supposed to be a Skink. Which is fucking badass. Especially since it mirrors different species of Skink going from normal limbs, to stubby limbs, to almost no limbs at all. This is a perfect modern example of convergent evolution, where it converges with Snakes. Pretty much the only pokemon evolution line that makes perfect sense.

skinkjuvenileeumecesbil.jpg1threetoedskinkphotocou.jpg

kasnersdwarfburrowingsk.jpg

As for the fire starter, it's alright. I haven't really liked any of the fire starters since Generation 2. They're all annoying ever since they made them fighting types. And what's the big deal with Wotter's final evolution? It looks badass with it's samurai helmet shell thing and epic mustache.

Let me try, I can think of a few that cross the species line...

Remoraid to Octillary.

Lotad to Lombre to Ludiculo. (seriously wtf?)

Zigzagoon to Linoone.

Carvanha to Sharpedo.

Trapinch to Vibrava to Flygon. (starting with an ant?)

Feebas to Milotic.

Snorunt to Glalie.

Clamperl to Huntail or Gorebyss.

Cyndaquil to Quilava to Typhlosion. (a mouse becomes a mongoose?)

Sentret to Furret. (squirrel to ferret?)

Overall I like about half of the new pokemon. But some of them look stupid, almost as if they were pulled off some fakemon pokedex from deviant art.

I think for my team I'm going to have to choose between these; Tsutarja (grass starter), or Wotter, Yooterii line, Otamaru, Meguroko, Ishizumai, Purotooga, Aaken, Shibibiiru, or Washibon. Some of these are pretty clever. Like Ishizumai's final stage. It has geological strata layers in place of a shell, that's fancy.

As for my favorite Gens at this point they would be...

Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 3 > Gen 5 > Gen 4

Gen 4 was lame as hell.

Edited by Erebus

Well... I decided to look at them. Like I said, Wotter grew from WORST DESIGN EVER to an adorable favorite of mine, so I hoped the same would happen with the rest of this gen.

Having seen them all... holy fuck Gamefreak.

............... They're great!

Seriously, I can ABSOLUTELY see what people hate about them, but I personally love them. Some have some VERY strange design choices and color schemes especially, but even those can look alright. Actually there's a lot I love quite a bit. I'm really happy with this gen.

For now, my ranking for pokémon designs is:

Gen II (barely) > Gen IV > Gen I > Gen III = Gen V

But I feel like V will move up as I get used to the pokémon. Better than III, probably equal to I, maybe even better than I.

My only complaints: the

ice cream pokémon

the legendary trio

with LOL FIGHTING ON FOUR LEGS, also that other quadrupedal pokémon that's fighting

and the starters. I like Smuglord, but I just don't like it enough to use. Good thing I like the pigeon, it'll be a fine replacement starter.

Still going on media blackout for the other spoilers. But designs, oh well. I tried my hardest, but I was too weak!

Edited by Noir
  • Thumbs Up 1

Remoraid - Octillery

Remoraid = Gun

Octillery = Cannon

Yeah, kinda stupid, but whatever. Otter to sea lion though? Why?

In that last interview a few days ago, the creators of the Pokemon stated that they wanted to have an element of surprise, and the water one does just that.

Which is a bullshit excuse, I'd rather have a predictably awesome evolution than an underwhelming evolution I didn't expect. Seriously I will not get over the fact that Pokabu's final evo is not this. As safe as the official one is, it's just bland, incredibly samey, and totally not a Rhyperior/Electevire/Magmortar wannabe.

Frankly, I don't mind Mijumaru's final evo, it's just it's body looks so awkward.

I have my favorites out of the bunch. You got some really cute ones in there. But as I learned the hard way, cute pokemon aren't the smartest thing to have. I think I'll wait for Pokemon Grey.

Let me try, I can think of a few that cross the species line...

Remoraid to Octillary.

Lotad to Lombre to Ludiculo. (seriously wtf?)

Zigzagoon to Linoone.

Carvanha to Sharpedo.

Trapinch to Vibrava to Flygon. (starting with an ant?)

Feebas to Milotic.

Snorunt to Glalie.

Clamperl to Huntail or Gorebyss.

Cyndaquil to Quilava to Typhlosion. (a mouse becomes a mongoose?)

Sentret to Furret. (squirrel to ferret?)

Most of those things you're talking about actually work just fine because they share design traits between stages or are adapted from a myth, legend or even real life. The concept behind Tsutajaa and co is cool, I just don't like the way it looks. Everything about Mijimaru though just changes for little reason and for the worse IMO.

Also, do we have to have a fucking NO UR WRONG fest every time I say I don't like something? Geez...

Edited by Blue Blood

Otter to sea lion though? Why?

Which is a bullshit excuse...

Sea lions and otters, both mammals that camp on the surface of waters. Close enough.

I read somewhere more reasons why the artist chose a sea lion. To all of you whining about Wotter's final evo (which I'll refer to as Seamauri since I haven't heard any other nickname) what would you have done instead? I'd like to see some fan art examples.

Seriously I will not get over the fact that Pokabu's final evo is not this.

I agree, the fire starter looks super badass. But the grass and water ones look gross and borderline furry. Why'd they give Smuglord legs? And Wotter's final evo has a pearl necklace? It's also a cat... I know you didn't draw these so don't take it as me trying to insult you.

Also, do we have to have a fucking NO UR WRONG fest every time I say I don't like something? Geez...

It's not even anything like that. I was just pointing out equally absurd evolutions. Didn't mean to upset you. You gotta expect people to disagree with you though and rather than just say "no ur wrong" I tried to support my opinion.

Most of those things you're talking about actually work just fine because they share design traits between stages or are adapted from a myth, legend or even real life.

The Wotter line all share design traits. Could you point out the ones inspired by myths for me? As for real life I chose them because I haven't seen anything similar in real life.

Edited by Erebus

My opinions? Okay. The names include the evos.

Tsutaja just gets more awesome.

Pokabu is Torchic 3.0. Kidding, but still, I'm sick of Fire/Fighting starters.

Mijumaru is different.

Minezumi is bland and dull.

Yooterii just gets more ugly.

Choroneko is pretty interesting and slick.

Yanappu needs a haircut.

Boappu looks shy.

Hiyappu is rather girly.

Munna is just weird.

Mamepato and evo's are certainly going to be on my team.

Shimama is very Gen 1/2 like. Simple design, simple evo.

Dangoro is ugly, but the final form is cool.

Koromori is worse than Zubat, it's not even cute.

Moguryuu does not stand out in any way.

Dokkora is an interesting concept.

Otamaru is so very 'Japan'.

Nageki is blah.

Dageki is blah.

Kurumiru is the next Lopunny, I fear for my poor eyes.

Futsude is unique, but I don't like it much.

Monmon seems like it appears alot in game, ugh.

Churine is as generic as Oddish.

Basurao doesn't evolve?

Meguroko is a cutie, also very Gen 1/2ish.

Darumakka is meh.

Marakacchi is meh.

Ishizumai isn't very 'Pokemon-like', but cute.

Zuruggu reminds me of Gekomon.

Shinpora is stupid.

Purotooga is cool for a fossil Pokemon.

Aaken is AWESOME, going on my team, I hope it's not White exclusive.

Yabakuron is, what...?

Zorua is adorable, using on team.

Chillarmy is like Pidgey, the evo's just grow bigger with more feathers/hair.

Gochimu is UGH.

Yuniran is less ugh.

Koaruhii is AWWWWWWWWWW~

Banipucchi is a cool concept, but turns into a lame 'extra heads' thing.

Shikijika is majestic, I want one on my team.

Emonga is Pikachu 5.0.

Kaburuchi doesn't appeal to me, Hi trade fodder.

Tamagetake has a cool design, but it's not my thing.

Pururiru is pretty.

Mamanbou is Luvdisc's distant cousin.

Bachuru is like Spinirak.

Tesshiido is a spiky blob of steel. Gen 1 contender.

Gear is lol.

Shibishirasu is EPIC, I want iiiiit.

Riguree is a psychic rock, LAME.

Hitomoshi is interesting.

Kibago is a little disappointing.

Kumashun is cute, but it's evo has a pinhead.

Furiijio is kinda neat.

Chobomaki is freaky trade fodder.

Maggyo is a roadkill fish-hat-boot.

Kojofuu is kinda cool.

Kurimugan is neat, but probably weak for being only a basic.

Gobitto is meh.

Komatana is okay.

Baffuron is afro bull. Frobull

Washibon is AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~ I want it.

Baruchai is pretty cool, but FAT.

Kuitaran is weird.

Aianto is an ANT, FREAKING AWESOME. No, not really, but it's cool.

Monozu is HOLY HECK, 3 heads done right. Want.

Meraruba is a bug-flower.

Kobaruon is okay.

Terakion is okay.

Birijion is okay.

Torunerosu, Borutorosu, and Randorosu are FREAKING STUPID, that's not how you do a legendary trio, that's just lame and uninteresting. I dread the day I have to capture these pathetic uglies.

Reshiram is anatomically correct.

Zekrom is muscular.

Kyuremu is HELLO, POKEMON GREY.

Kerudio is cute.

Meloia is UGGGGHHH.

Genosekuto is what.

Gen 3/Gen 2/Gen 5/Gen 4/Gen 1

v.png

Edited by Guest

I think this generation looks okay, I just don't like the starters and most of the Pokémon that were revealed early on.

(which I'll refer to as Seamauri since I haven't heard any other nickname)

People have taken to calling it Shoalgun. Seamurai is a great name for Wotter's first evo though :U

I read somewhere more reasons why the artist chose a sea lion. To all of you whining about Wotter's final evo (which I'll refer to as Seamauri since I haven't heard any other nickname) what would you have done instead? I'd like to see some fan art examples.

I'd have kept with otter thing going on. Otter samurai as a water/fighting would have been far superior to Ganonswine as a fire/fighting. I expected Pokabu to be a fire/dark, specifically a bandit of sorts.

I agree, the fire starter looks super badass. But the grass and water ones look gross and borderline furry. Why'd they give Smuglord legs? And Wotter's final evo has a pearl necklace? It's also a cat... I know you didn't draw these so don't take it as me trying to insult you.

Unlrelated somewhat, but that's damn good example of what couild have been done with Pokabu. Mijimaru and Tsutajaa on the other hand? Eww

It's not even anything like that. I was just pointing out equally absurd evolutions. Didn't mean to upset you. You gotta expect people to disagree with you though and rather than just say "no ur wrong" I tried to support my opinion.

Every fucking time. It's not you, it's anyone. I don't care if people disagree, cause that's perfectly allowed. Some things are fact, others are opinion. In this case, it's opinion.

The Wotter line all share design traits. Could you point out the ones inspired by myths for me? As for real life I chose them because I haven't seen anything similar in real life.

Wotter 3 has no similarities to Wotter and Wotter 2. Tail, legs, head and face, colour scheme... all there is are the whiskers. I can't check sources on the myth/legend Pokémon, but I've always been under the impression that Majikarp and Feebas share the same/similar inspiration. Other's make some degree of sense. For example, piranhas are small fish that bite and sharks are big fish that bite.

Last post on the subject.

Edited by Blue Blood

I just noticed:

Wargle's pre-evo

Freeglet is a combination of "Free" and "Eaglet". Oh god. It's still CUTE AS HELL THOUGH <3!

Well what I think about Smuglord, Hamon, and Shoalgun:

Smuglord is epic because is so smug. :P

Hamon is kind of disappointing since its not a grim reaper flaming warthog of DOOM. But I like it regardless.

Shoalgun for me is well.... o.0 Mostly because its different from its past evos. So 0.o

And...

Shanderaa is fucking adorable! Its a cute piece of gothic air. I would be proud to own one.

Edited by Rotom