Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

I'm typing this post as I go down the new Pokémon list for the first time, then adding in stuff on a more thorough second pass. First pass reactions are uncensored and not very legible. I'm sure you'll get the idea though.

Because I'm dumb and now can't be arsed to fix it: each gap indicates me moving on to the next evolution chain in the list and I generally rate each chain based on how good the final form looks. I'm pretty sure I've got them in order but I may have been dumb along the way. Meh. :3

Victini still looks great, I'll get hold of one ASAP. (Who am I kidding, I'll get all of them again, but I can only USE six...

:P)

The final evolutions of the starters all suck this time though for once I'd say the Grass starter sucks the least so I'll probably go with him. Fire/Fighting again too, lame. Infernape FTW there. Everything is better with monkeys.

...Actually after getting used to him losing his limbs the Grass Starter kicks ass and I'll definitely take him. The others still suck ass.

Chipmunk Pokémon sucks. Took me a while to work out it was a 'munk.

Terrier Pokémon evolving into an emperor mutt kicks ass and OH GOD THERE'S NEVER BEEN A REGULAR DOG POKÉMON BEFORE WHO THE HELL DROPPED THE BALL THERE??

The evil leopard is interesting but I'm not sure I like the final evo. Feels like Umbreon With Spots.

The monkey trio should be this gen's starters, they kick huge amounts of ass. Everything's still better with monkeys.

What the hell is that? Pass.

Pidgey Mark 5 < Staraptor, still the most awesome three-stage bird ever

Zebra being pure Electric is the only interesting thing about it, it's been a while since we had a pure 'Lec that was decent.

Pure Rock type? Cool. Evolving into a mon with a perma-boner? Not so cool. Pass on that I think.

New-Skool Zubat > Old-Skool Zubat - even the typing is better.

Holy shit I want that mole Pokémon.

SO BAD ;__;

Chansey Gen 5 is nice. Shame it's a non-evolver.

New Machop = winner, like the motif there.

Politoed v2 eh? Water/Ground? Huh. Could be fun.

Karate Pokémon = auto-win, want, should have happened way sooner, moving right along

... BUG/GRASS TYPE AT LONG LAST

...THAT ISN'T PARASECT

WOOT

The Bug/Poison mon is considerably less appealing. Pass.

Mareep's Grass-type cousin is pretty cool.

Bellossom's fat sister isn't bad either, might pick one up.

Pirahna sucks, they still can't make a good piranha Pokémon. Lame.

...Holy shit I want that croc Pokémon.

SO BAD ;__;

This monkey manages to not impress me in the slightest therefore he must REALLY suck. Oh wait, he's an ape, that's why. Moving along.

On the second pass, this is a catcus 'mon. Took a while to notice that one. Not that interesting to be blunt.

Oh I love the idea behind this hermit crab one. I'll take two. :D

They made a Dark/Fight mon and then made it look like ass. Great going there. Pass.

IS THAT AN UNOWN EVOLUTION HOLY CRAP IF IT ISN'T IT SHOULD BE WINNER

Sarcophagus Ghost mon, interesting but not my thing.

THERE'S A TURTLE POKÉMON AND IT'S WATER/ROCK!! WINNER

An Archaeopteryx Pokémon. Turtle and him are probably fossil mons. Coolio.

Another deliberately-ugly Poison type, pass.

Zorua and Zoroark rock as always, want.

Ooh, the chincilla's evo is pwetty. I shall has. n__n

+1 Generic Retarded-Looking Psychic Type, pass pass pass

...And then one that's actually pretty interesting. Hazarding a guess: one's a virus, the other's a bacterium.

SWAN POKÉMON YUSH

ICE CREAM POKÉMON LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Deer Pokémon fairly interesti--- NORMAL/GRASS TYPE WHAT WINNER

Electric/Flying? That typing will be fun and finally in non-Legi format. Decent design, sucks that Pikachu-clone #8237518934758934798 doesn't evolve AGAIN.

I had to stare at it before I realised it's a Bug Knight. That makes it much more interesting, but I think I'll pass.

Shroom Pokémon must have an English name referencing drug use or it will suck. Cool design if a little gimmicky.

WATER/GHOST AUTOMATIC WIN

Luvdisc in the morning with no make-up on, Do Not Want.

Electric/Bug? Interesting. Didn't notice that originally but that's actually some very handy typing, keeping an eye on this.

Mutant Conker Pokémon is a failure. Pass.

I can see why people don't like this Gear Pokémon but I like it, the concept is neat. Possibly too similar to Magneton/Magnezone though.

Electric Eel Leech. Cool. Not my thing.

ANOTHER shitty-looking Psychic FFS, PASS.

FIRE/GHOST IS A CANDLABRA DJHJSHQAJKHFJKDASHLJKGHJLKSHLKJDHFKJLHSJKAHFGJKHFDJKGHKJF WANT ONE NOW

PURE DRAGON TYPE WITH THREE EVO STAGES YUSH but I'm not sure I like the design here.

POLAR BEAR!! DSJHLFAJKDHJKAFHSJKGHJKDFHJKFHJKGHAJFHKJDLHK

Giant snowflake seems a bit silly. Pass.

What the hell is that bug? Pass again.

Flatfish has potential with that typing.

Ninja salamander sucks.

This dragon sucks, so it doubly sucks for being a shitty-looking DRAGON of all types.

HOW DID I NOT SPOT THIS GROUND/GHOST THE FIRST TIME AMG... I like, but I don't love. :(

Dark/Steel - interesting typing, crappy design.

Buffalo is cool.

That meant to be an eagle? I like.

Vulture mon rofl

Fire anteater? Design is too abstract, not fun. Props for finally adding a pure Fire for the first time in ages though.

Steel ant. Nice. Not sure why I didn't notice that originally.

Dark/Dragon is a Hydra. Kickass.

Fire/Bug yay

Quadraped Fighting Legis look interesting, especially the typing, these should be good despite the lulz at them trying to do karate chops.

On VERY close inspection, the FIRST EVER PURE FLYING TYPE is a Genie. NICE.

He has a cousin with extra Electric skillz that looks less appealing, probably because this sprite doesn't look like it's raping its own ear, which gave me much WTFs and lulz first time through.

Reshiram has cool-ass typing but still has a giant furry penis, so auto-fails there.

Zekrom being Electric/Dragon is very very odd but I still like the design.

Ear-raping Genie Mark 2, Ground/Flying is cool typing though. Designs of this trio are too similar.

The Ice Dragon, with awesome typing, manages to look like the retarded offspring of Reshiram and Zekrom. Not Sure If Want.

I'm guessing the last three are event legis. The fighting sea pony is pretty cool.

Celebi's whore cousin with less terrible typing. Do Not Want.

Bug. With Back Cannon. Do Want Very Much.

TL;DR no spoilers: It seems that a lot of Pokémon fans are just never going to like new Pokémon. The majority of these Pokémon designs kick... ass, and this is going to be a great gen.

Everyone get a Smugleaf though, you'll be glad you did later. All I'm sayin'. :3

Welp, I didn't read it today (or yesterday for that matter), but apparently

My theory that I was thinking of about Team Plasma's Leader being N's dad might actually be TRUE O.o! amiawizard.jpg?

Oh, and:

BELLE MIGHT BE THE CHAMPION O.O!

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Wow. I didn't have internet for ages today, and I come back to this? Lemme get my bearings.

...okay. It'd be ludicrous to try and form up thoughts on each and every individual monster, and I'm wary about forming judgments before we get official art anyway, so I'll just be brief. Generation V is... pretty good. There are some really great monsters here: Gobitto, Shanderaa, Gochimu, Pururiru, Chirachiino (odd, since I really dislike Chillarmy), Marakacchi, Hahakurimo, the fossils... Barujiina in particular is one of my new favourites; I really like vultures, and they were done some great justice here. On the other hand, a couple of monsters are pretty dreadful: Dokorra's whole line just looks awkward, Morobareru is just blegh, Warubiaru reminds me of Joe Camel... there aren't that many bad ones, though, and even on my second look some of the ones I initially disliked are looking much better.

Overall, yeah, it's pretty good. They took plenty of risks here, and not all of them paid off, but the end result was easily a net positive. I can't really rank this generation until I've seen proper art of these guys, but I'd say that Generation V should at least beat out Generation III for me.

Edited by Octarine

What the actual fucking shit at some of these designs.

Some of these Pokemon are so incredibly awesome that they've become instant favourites of mine, however most of them are so FUCKING STUPIDLY overdesigned that I'm looking at them and thinking what the fuck.

94.jpg

Best new Pokemon easily, shame it's evolution LOOKS LIKE SHIT.

EDIT: Looking back through them all there are actually loads of Pokemon I fucking love this generation, alot of funny Pokemon as well which I didn't expect and lots of really clever designs.

As always though the legendaries are defiantly the weakest of the bunch, the flying trio are practically fucking identical in design and the fighting trio... I don't even know why they exist they are so ridiculously poorly designed and why they are part fighting type I don't even understand.

74.jpg

Heh, a Pokemon based on a trash bag is quite lol.

2391777808_8aa79415e3.jpg?v=0

This is now a Gary Thread.

gary-oak.jpg

He has -all 10- Kanto Badges (Except the Earth badge).

(But really. I don't like the looks of a lot of these new Pokemon =( So I needed to derail this thread into something awesome.)

• Thumbs Up 1

74.jpg

Heh, a Pokemon based on a trash bag is quite lol.

...oooohhh. Couldn't figure out what that guy was for the life of me, but now it's so obvious.

Also regarding legendaries, I've felt that the legendaries have sucked for a while now, so I'm not surprised they're still kind of crappy. Honestly there hasn't been a legendary that I really like since gen 2, and even then the dogs/beasts/whatever are doofy, and gen 1 had FlamingChickenMon Moltres.

People have taken to calling it Shoalgun. Seamurai is a great name for Wotter's first evo though :U

Ah, sweet. It would be pretty awesome if they named them Wotter, Seamurai, and Shoalgun. Chances are they won't though.

I'd have kept with otter thing going on. Otter samurai as a water/fighting would have been far superior to Ganonswine as a fire/fighting. I expected Pokabu to be a fire/dark, specifically a bandit of sorts.

Lol, actually that would've worked too. Especially if he had been a fighting type like you said. I'm getting pretty tired of these fire/fighting starter types. I had suspicions as well that Pokabu would be dark but my dreams were shat on.

Wotter 3 has no similarities to Wotter and Wotter 2.

Meh. I will say though, if Shoalgun were standing upright he would look way more epic. He also wouldn't appear as sealion-ish either and you guys might be happier.

Now for my complaints about this Gen because I didn't really elaborate before. What is up with #641, 642, and 645? It's like they got lazy on us and just changed their hair, color, and wheel/ring thing. The bodies, arms crossed, and facial expressions are exactly the same.

Is #647 a unicorn or what? Looks ridiculous to me. WOW, I hadn't even noticed #648, I have a feeling that a butt ton of hentai will come out of that one.

My last complaint which I should have mentioned in my first post is that a lot of these seem as if they were shitty fakemon stolen from someone's fakedex on deviant art.

I just noticed:

Wargle's pre-evo

I agree, Freeglet is cute as fuck! I love baby birds.

Looking through the list, there are definitely some stupid designs, but overall, I quite like these Pokemon.

Also, blargh, with all the new details coming out, I'm really starting to want this game, which is sort of bad, because I'd resolved to be smart for once and hold out for the third version.

One thing that I'm really liking about Generation V is all of the crazy awesome type combinations. It's great that there aren't quite as many water-types as past generations, too, only 17 out of 156. Their solution to the usual glut of water-types really amuses me as well. Rather than just not making Pokemon out of sea creatures, they've made just as many sea-creature Pokemon as before and just not made them water-types. I look forward to being able to go into the water and encounter a goddamn ground/electric-type.

I maintain that most of these will look at least somewhat better in proper art, and that's when people will really start to warm up to them. Black and White's sprites really don't look that good when they're not in motion... and speaking of motion, I want to see animated Gigigear. It looks lame when it's not moving, but I bet seeing all of those parts spinning around will be pretty glorious.

and speaking of motion, I want to see animated Gigigear. It looks lame when it's not moving, but I bet seeing all of those parts spinning around will be pretty glorious.

Naw, it's still really lame. "Hey, let's take the first stage evolution and add more gears! Done! Let's make the next Pokemon."

I feel like I need to bitch about pokemon #567, Aakeosu. Probably the one Gen 5 pokemon I was most excited about. It's supposed to be an Archaeopteryx but instead it looks like a damn snake with wings. I hate it's head. It'll still be on my team no doubt but it's stupid snake head almost makes it unworthy of being on it. If it was just a bit more beak like I would be happy. Archaeopteryx does have reptilian traits but "snake head" isn't one of them.

I would've absolutely jizzed my pants if it was closer in appearance and fierceness to one of these drawings.

dc_card_archa_big.jpg

060922_archaeopteryx_02.grid-6x2.jpgarchaeopteryx_lithographica.gif

Edited by Erebus

Holy shoot what is up with that

Poké ball Pokémon Morobareru and why does it look so much like a Poké ball. I can't imagine that it would disguise itself as a Poké ball to hide because trainers like to go and pick up Poké balls that they find lying around, so maybe they disguise themselves as Poké balls to attack unsuspecting humans when they come to pick up these Poké balls that are actually Pokémon disguised as Poké balls so that humans would think they were Poké balls and pick them up.

Did I mention it looks like a Poké ball?

Poké ball Pokémon Morobareru and why does it look so much like a Poké ball. I can't imagine that it would disguise itself as a Poké ball to hide because trainers like to go and pick up Poké balls that they find lying around, so maybe they disguise themselves as Poké balls to attack unsuspecting humans when they come to pick up these Poké balls that are actually Pokémon disguised as Poké balls so that humans would think they were Poké balls and pick them up.

Well remember ever since the first game items were always found in Pokeballs, cause you know people always leave their stuff laying around in different places. Pokeballs aren't just for carrying your Pokemon.

Maybe it's evolutionary advantageous to do so. If you get picked up, your chances of becoming a pet and being fed shoot up. Or you could latch onto the unfortunate trainer's bulbasaur and leech energy off it.

Okay I demand a fucking explanation as to why numbers 147, 148, and 151 have the same fucking sprite.

And why they had to stick Reshiram and Zekrom between 148 and 151 instead of having them consecutively.

Okay I demand a fucking explanation as to why numbers 147, 148, and 151 have the same fucking sprite.

Those really would've worked better as different form(e)s of the same Pokemon or something, instead of all being separate. Seriously, Game Freak.

Gear, Gigear and Gigigear are hardly any better either. Terrible design going on some places.

I quite like the final Grass starter.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad design and I understand the whole Smugleaf = Grass Snake thing (and therefore becomes more and more like a snake as he evolves), but... it's just not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a bigger, bad-ass, equally smug version of Smugleaf. If it had legs, I wouldn't have a problem. It just looks too different for my liking.

This might actually be the first time I choose not to evolve my starter. I still want me a Smugleaf, but I want to keep it as a Smugleaf.

*adjusts monocle*

In all previous generations the final evolutions for the starter Pokemon have all resembled the base form to quite a large extent, this time around however the final forms are so drastically different (to the point where NOT ONE of the three stands on the same amount of limbs as the original Pokemon) that I'm not surprised so many people have been alienated by them.

If you look at Swampert still sort of resembles Mudkip, Charizard still sort of resembles Charmander and Torterra still sort of resembles Turtwig. If somebody showed me Wotter and it's final evolution I'd have NO FUCKING IDEA that they'd be part of the same evolution family, the same goes for Pignite and Smugleaf's final evolutions as well, they just don't look like natural progression from the original Pokemon.

I fucking hate the Gear and Rankurusu evolution lines as well, purely because adding extra limbs has never been what evolution in Pokemon is about. Even Magnemite to Magneton is more creative than those two and we're 4 generations past that now.

In all previous generations the final evolutions for the starter Pokemon have all resembled the base form to quite a large extent, this time around however the final forms are so drastically different (to the point where NOT ONE of the three stands on the same amount of limbs as the original Pokemon) that I'm not surprised so many people have been alienated by them.

If you look at Swampert still sort of resembles Mudkip, Charizard still sort of resembles Charmander and Torterra still sort of resembles Turtwig. If somebody showed me Wotter and it's final evolution I'd have NO FUCKING IDEA that they'd be part of the same evolution family, the same goes for Pignite and Smugleaf's final evolutions as well, they just don't look like natural progression from the original Pokemon.

I absolutely agree with the general consensus regarding Mijumaru's final form, but I can't say I feel the same way about the other two. Pokabu's final form uses the same colour scheme as Pokabu and it's still obviously porcine, so I don't really see what the problem is there. It's not my favourite design, and it sucks that it's fire/fighting again, but I don't see how it's so hugely different from its first form. Tsutarja's final form is fairly distinct, but the darker green and yellow have been consistent throughout its evolutionary line and its face is basically just an exaggerated version of its first form's. That, and I'm willing to forgive it a lot because I think it looks pretty cool. :P

I fucking hate the Gear and Rankurusu evolution lines as well, purely because adding extra limbs has never been what evolution in Pokemon is about. Even Magnemite to Magneton is more creative than those two and we're 4 generations past that now.

I have to disagree again here, to a limited extent. I seriously dislike the Gear family's designs, especially in comparison to the Magnemite family (my absolute favourite Pokemon), but I'm willing to put them a little higher than Generation I's x3 evolutions on the creativity scale. At least Gear adds different-sized gears to itself when it evolves, rather than just multiplying its base form.

Rankurusu really only should've been a two-stage Pokemon, I think; the first form and then Rankurusu itself. It feels like the intermediate form was thrown in so Rankurusu would have the same number of evolutionary stages as Gochiruzeru, and the result was that it barely changes each time it evolves. I see what they were going for with the cell-division theme, though, so I don't have too much of a problem with it. It looks one hell of a lot better than Gear, at least.

...actually, what I just said about Rankurusu applies pretty well to Gear, too. If it had just gone from Gear to Gigigear, I wouldn't have minded it nearly as much. The second stage just feels like a stepping stone on the way to the final form; it doesn't have any personality of its own.

Edited by Octarine