Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Famitsu gave Black and White perfect scores. 10/10/10/10

http://www.gamingeverything.com/2010/9/latest_famitsu_reviews_include_perfect_score

Maybe these are the best Pokemon games ever.

That's pretty cool, but I'm more worried about how the Pokémon and strategies introduced in Gen. 5 will change the competitive battling scene more than anything else. The game might be good, but I doubt that the reviewers paid attention to base stat totals or the like.

Not that this isn't a good thing. (or a good omen, for that matter)

Edited by Ovarloard

Famitsu's perfect scores aren't quite as rare as they used to be, but a perfect score from anyone can't be anything but good news. No game in the series has even gotten a 39/40 before now.

Some Hard Rumors about the Obligatory Third Mascot

A rumor has been floating around for a while now about the legendaries featured in Black and White. While we can't speak on all of them, we can currently speak about one in particular. The third legendary in the trio of mascot dragons, currently known to contain Reshiram and Zekrom, will be a dragon / ice Pokémon. Now, we can't go ahead and claim this is a completely true, irrefutable fact, however it is something we have a lot of faith in. We understand this is also a somewhat lackluster report due it being a prominent rumor throughout the wait for the fifth generation games but we digress.

and also some other Info

blue skY has also recently posted with some separate bits of news. While the following is also unconfirmed, if you follow us regularly, blue skY has been fairly dependable (providing reliable news fragments pertaining to Diamond/Pearl). Again, we still stress the validity of the following, see the source linked to from this article to see the original post and thanks to NL for translating over at PokéJungle.

• Effort Values, Individual Values and base stats have been changed drastically
  • It appears Friendship is now a big part of a Pokémon's stats
  • The Daycare storage limit is now up to three Pokémon at a time
  • There is a new HM “float”

Just remember these are rumors until proven otherwise...

as this Funny Person says Multiple Times, it's all Rumors at This Point until Serebii confirms, so Take it all with a Grain of Salt.

If this Turns out to be True, then that's some interesting Info There.

...There's no way that that EV and IV change can be right. If that were the case, shouldn't Pokémon from gen 4 be incompatible with the gen 5 games, considering the Pokémon's stats in gen 4 games are generated by the EV and IV systems from those games. Also the base stat changes would also mean that the Pokémon from the old games would be incompatible since their stats were also generated by those.

As much as I'd like to see how these changes go about, potentially allowing easier access to competetively ready Pokés stat wise thanks to an easy way of getting a Pokés stats up via happiness as well as maybe making more Pokés competetively viable with the stat changes, I just don't see it happening.

3 Pokémon in the daycare also sounds really perplexing. If you do put 3 in, are you still able to get eggs? If you can, how would it be determined what species was if you put in 2 female Pokés that are both compatible with the male's egg group?

Float also sounds redundant thanks to the everpresent fly. Why float across a small gap when you can just get out your flying Pokémon and just fly across the gap? However, I do get the feeling that in battle, this might be the move that prevents things like earthquake hitting your partners in multi Pokémon battles.

On another note, are they trying to give most of the legendaries in this games rubbish types for ubers play? First we get Dragon/Fire, a type weak to stealth rock as well as the most common attacking move in the game (Earthquake for those who don't know) and a very common attacking type in ubers thanks to a large chunk of the tier getting STAB on it, Dragon. Dragon/Electric isn't horrible, but it doesn't have many useful resistances in ubers and it's still weak to Earthquake and Dragon types. Then there is Victini, with STABs that are walled by most of the ubers. It's psychic attacks would be walled by...well...the psychic types of the tier and it's fire attacks being walled by theoh so common dragons. Oh, and did I mention it's stealth rock weak as well? Even in the standard metagame it's not that good due to psychic being a horrid type there with all of the steels running around and fire being a horrid type to have thanks to the stealth rock weakness without a type that also resists rock, which Victini lacks. Now we have Dragon/Ice, which is a type that is still weak to the ever common dragons, it's stealth rock weak, weak to fighting attacks which are common thanks to walls like Blissey and Dialga being weak to them and steel, which is also quite a common attacking type thanks to Scizor getting bullet punch.

...It's a cool type in concept though.

As much as competitive players will complain, the way stats are earned needs to change. It's way too complicated for a game that's supposed to be marketed towards kids.

The average kid won't even give a fuck about EVs, they won't even know they exist. And it's not like your team is going to be super weak if you don't EV train, I mean you'll still be gaining stats just by playing the game regularly.

The great thing about Pokémon is that there's something in it for everyone. You can fill your Pokédex, or just beat the Elite Four, or EV train your team, or just catch the Pokémon you like. Why complain?

The average kid won't even give a fuck about EVs, they won't even know they exist.

The great thing about Pokémon is that there's something in it for everyone. You can fill your Pokédex, or just beat the Elite Four, or EV train your team, or just catch the Pokémon you like. Why complain?

This. I can't stand any sort of competitive play, so I just run through the story over and over. What are little kids gonna do? The exact same thing.

Hence why it needs to be changed.

Yeah, Nintendo should just completely alienate one significant portion of their fanbase, rather than appeal to every Pokémon fan, which is what they're successfully doing now.

OH WAIT THIS IS WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE BRAWL

I've always been interested in the EV training and shizz, but man, it's just way to boring, D;. I'd lose interest in the game before I got to any interesting levels through EV training anyways. Actually, I tend to lose interest in the game before all 6 of my party can get to level 65, XD.

Diggin' the threesomes for the Daycare though. Though I never use it, it's an interesting advancement in the system I guess. Seems possible, but I can't really see the point, so I don't know if it's true.

It's really weird that in like a week and a half, we'll know every Pokemon for the 5th gen. I'm really excited, but I'm kinda nervous, since I don't want to be disappointed at what's left. Hopefully there are more on the scale of awesomeness with that new eagle Pokemon.

-Blur

Yeah, Nintendo should just completely alienate one significant portion of their fanbase, rather than appeal to every Pokémon fan, which is what they're successfully doing now.

OH WAIT THIS IS WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE BRAWL

Perhaps they want the fanbase to be more unified and less segmented. As you said yourself, there's fans taking bits and pieces and finding enjoyment in them, but not everyone is taking the whole pie. If Nintendo does make stat gaining less complicated it might encourage more people to play in more competitive enviornments, meaning more people for YOU to play against. But if you'd rather keep everyone segmented who give you confused looks when you start rambling about eevees and ivys then I guess there's no convincing you. It's still rumors anyway, but if Nintendo actually does make some aspects of Pokemon less complicated, I'm for it.

It's really weird that in like a week and a half, we'll know every Pokemon for the 5th gen. I'm really excited, but I'm kinda nervous, since I don't want to be disappointed at what's left. Hopefully there are more on the scale of awesomeness with that new eagle Pokemon.

Whether I buy this game or not entirely rides on the Pokemon that haven't been revealed yet. If there aren't enough Pokemon in Isshu I feel like catching then there's no point in me buying. I like catching and playing with my favorites and I've been doing it since I first played Yellow however long ago that was.

I'd rather have no real surprises and something to look forward to having in my party than going into the game blindly and realizing I don't give two shits about nearly every new Pokemon added.

Did anyone say MORE RUMORS!?

* IV Values now have 8 kinds instead of 6

* There will be some kind of modification for the pokemon coming over from previous generations to fix their stats

* 4 EVs per battle

* Gaining Effort values has also changed

* Hidden Power now varies in base power between 60 and 70 (UPD)

* No new natures are being introduced

* 26 new abilities

* 156 total new pokemon (5 being distribution-only) [This correlates to what Experto has said]

* Hypnosis accuracy lowered to 55%, Dark Void’s accuracy now 50%

* Triple Battles and Rotation Battles are encountered many times

* PokeShifter is mentioned as being… less than desirable

* Random Match has two modes; 6vs6 Single and 4vs4 Double

* Random Match adheres to Battle Tower rules

* New rule called ‘Fresh’ which allows only pokemon trained in Black/White can be used

* Battle Subway has a WiFi component

* DSi users will be able to participate in events at McDonalds in which they can scan a barcode to receive an item or pokemon

* New HM to change seasons

* Mamepato’s last evolution is pidgeon-like and has a haughty stance. Brown chest. #521 [bTW- It is also Normal/Flying according to Experto]

Hypnosis accuracy lowered to 55%, Dark Void’s accuracy now 50%

Wut. I know Dark Void is ridiculous, but that's bordering on outright trolling. I kinda like it.

New HM to change seasons

This is exactly what I wanted. I'll take back every single bit of my whining about the seasons if we can eventually change them at will.

If true that means there'll be 649 Pokemon in total.

Fuck, why not just add an extra two so we can be back to some sort of number pattern for the first time since Gen 2...

* IV Values now have 8 kinds instead of 6

Happiness IVs perhaps?

* 4 EVs per battle

Really?........ This will either be really cool, or no different depending on how much the EVs have changed.

* Gaining Effort values has also changed

I noticed.

* Hidden Power now varies in base power between 60 and 70 (UPD)

I can't wait to hear the shitstorm from the Pokemon that get stuck with the HP types that are in the 60s.

* No new natures are being introduced

Poo.

* 26 new abilities

Yay.

* 156 total new pokemon (5 being distribution-only) [This correlates to what Experto has said]

Looking back on the previous generations, that's actually a lot. If I'm not mistaken, it's the most new Pokemon in a generation, counting Generation 1.

* Hypnosis accuracy lowered to 55%

FFFFFFF...

Dark Void’s accuracy now 50%

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...!!! Come on Game Freak! As if it wasn't enough of a pain to put Pokemon to sleep!

* Triple Battles and Rotation Battles are encountered many times

That's to be expected, good to see them making the most of it.

* PokeShifter is mentioned as being… less than desirable

You don't need to remind me twice.

* Random Match has two modes; 6vs6 Single and 4vs4 Double

Sweet, I guess.

* Random Match adheres to Battle Tower rules

Ok then, fair enough.

* New rule called ‘Fresh’ which allows only pokemon trained in Black/White can be used

The word trained confuses the meaning of this. Do they mean "trained" as in Pokemon caught within the game, or "trained" as in Pokemon introduced in B/W?

* DSi users will be able to participate in events at McDonalds in which they can scan a barcode to receive an item or pokemon

Awesome, I live just a few blocks from a McDon-

DSi

FUUUUUUU!

* New HM to change seasons

Christ Game Freak it's like you deliberately try to fake us out like that! Don't do that guys, you really had me worried there.

* Mamepato’s last evolution is pidgeon-like and has a haughty stance. Brown chest. #521 [bTW- It is also Normal/Flying according to Experto]

SmugBIRD confirmed?

mindblowno.png

For some strange reason this news is less surprising than the sun coming up in the morning. Black people, large metropolitan cities, FOOTBALL PLAYER TRAINERS.... I mean, THIS just came right out of left field.

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my disdain for Game Freak neglecting to let us play as an "African-American-Player-Character". *punched*

Though I can't wait to see Ash indulging in the American lifestyles, going to tournements where a lot of shouty, sweaty fat rednecks are gathered in the stands, getting into fights with a redneck rooting for the other trainer while scoffing down a five-dollar-foot-long frank.

And so help Game Freak if I don't get to fight at least one really fat dude, just to invoke the stereotype at least once. And all the potions should be replaced with different kinds of fast food.

Regular potions = Fries

Super Potion = Hot Dog

Hyper Potion = Cheesburger

Max Potion = $5 Foot Long Sub

Full Restore = this

Revive = This

IN AMERICA!!!

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 2