Awoo.

Spoiler Thread (Spoiler Tags Please)

Agent York

The minecart worries me a bit, but I'm willing to wait for a better-played video before I judge it. Oddly enough, the thing that really bothers me about it is the message at the beginning that explains exactly how it's played. It just seems awkward to me, and totally out of place in a Sonic platformer. Still, the level at least looks very nice.

I must say that I really like the way the bosses were handled... Splash Hill's, at least, since I haven't been able to find all of the leaked videos. The animation looks pretty great throughout the game (Sonic is seriously adorable sometimes), but my personal favourite bit is the 360 spin the Eggmobile does when Eggman decides to get serious... it's a great example of something that would be hard to do on classic hardware, but still feels like it belongs. Sonic 4 also addresses one of my pettiest complaints about Sonic 2 and 3&K: the explosions on the bosses just weren't as satisfying as the ones from Sonic 1 and CD. The ones here are great.

Actually LLZ Act 2 seems like it's just really awkward to play using the 360 triggers. It looks like it was probably designed around the motion controls of the other systems and will be must easier to navigate also.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a small peak at the mine kart part since its been stirring up so much controversy over the web.

Reminds me of Loco Roco, only perhaps more sensitive sense you can tilt almost a 360. Loco Roco was quite a fun game given a competent player, so I pray that the player here just sucks. Given his preformance in Splash Hill, I'd say that's a possiblity.

I am miffed that they decided to make it an entire level. It's like Iizuka can't go a single game these days without awkward levels shoved in the middle of the game (JoD).

To be fair to Lost Labyrinth, at least the Boss act features a level before the boss, making up for the missing normal Act 2.

On the subject of bosses, my FAVORITE boss intros have to be the ones in Chaotix.

• Thumbs Up 1

The minecart worries me a bit, but I'm willing to wait for a better-played video before I judge it. Oddly enough, the thing that really bothers me about it is the message at the beginning that explains exactly how it's played. It just seems awkward to me, and totally out of place in a Sonic platformer.

That's an interesting point, and I agree; Sonic is a simple platformer, it shouldn't have to have explanations of controls at the start of an act, and if a gimmick needs an explanation that should be a sign that it perhaps shouldn't be implemented in that form.

Wow, too many updates to keep up with.

First of all:

The more and more I see of this game the less apealing it is. As exciting as it is to see nostalgic things, they are somewhat tainted. Sure everything looks nice, but that's only because it's so closely ripped from the classics, which is one of the problems.

This game does not feel like a sequel, it feels like a rehash.

You can tell whoever made these levels has clearly no conception of what made the classics great. It may look pseudo classic but the gameplay is definitely modern. Dash panels for gaining speed and springs for directing you - Sonic 4 is just littered with them, just like modern Sonic games.

Sonic does not, I repeat does not need as many dash panels as steps he takes! This game suffers from the same thing modern Sonic does, what I like to call the game playing itself. There is no need to explore, to have any skill, or to enjoy the levels if all you are doing is pressing the ocassional button whilst the game tour guides you through the level.

..Wait what? I'm confused. These two quotes are from the same post yet they entirely contradict themselves.

The first quote is basically 'I hate this game because it's too much like the classic games' and the next part is 'I hate this game because it's too much like the modern games'. Which is it? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Also, may I suggest a change in signature? The one you have now doesn't really reflect your current sentiments.. Hahaha.

I think since the triggers are never used in normal gameplay, it makes sense to tell the player that their A button isn't broken ;)

Edited by Doctor Eggman

I think since the triggers are never used in normal gameplay, it makes sense to tell the player that their A button isn't broken ;)

True, it'd be an entire stage of CNZ Barrel of Doom otherwise

Admit it, we ALL would have loved this at the beginning of Carnival Night Zone: "This Stage features floating barrels that do not appear at any other point in the series and operate differently from any other gimmick you've encountered. Simply stand on them and press up and down. DO NOT JUMP! IT WILL SCAR YOUR CHILDHOOD!"

Admit it, we ALL would have loved this at the beginning of Carnival Night Zone: "This Stage features floating barrels that do not appear at any other point in the series and operate differently from any other gimmick you've encountered. Simply stand on them and press up and down. DO NOT JUMP! IT WILL SCAR YOUR CHILDHOOD!"

....Gotta admit, that would have been brilliant.

I saw LLAct 2 aswell, and even if it was designed with motion controls in mind... making a stage that could play in such a horribly awkward way is a massive gamble. This is SONIC FOUR for crying out loud, messing up a whole stage badly will be a stain on the entire classic series.

I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope the stage turns out ok in the final game, because the guy playing it on 360 for that video just made me want to pull my hair out. :(

PS. I'm definitely getting the PS3 version now.

Little heads-up: A journo (and prolific Metroid speed-runner) I know has had some time with the game, and is now gloating about it like the lucky son-of-a-bitch he is. There are many, many unreleased/unannounced games he could gloat about but doesn't, though, as he only ever comments on stuff that has already been leaked... stuff like this very game!

All he's willing to say is this:

The jumping really feels out of place, very floaty. Just doesn't seem to sit right :(

If he says anything else, I'll pass it on.

Am I really the only person here who hasn't seen any of the leaks except the screenshot walking around? :(

Am I really the only person here who hasn't seen any of the leaks except the screenshot walking around? :(

Nah, I've missed 'em too, leaked music 'n all.

I've only watched the Splash Hill videos. I wont look at the Lost Labyrinth videos (or any other zone videos) because I don't want to spoil the game for myself.

Also, does Sonic do his spinning leg animation only when he goes down hills or something? Like in Splash Hill Act 1 when he's running on a straight path at the very end, his legs don't spin even though he is at top-speed. Very weird.

Edited by Dr. SEGA Monkey

Actually LLZ Act 2 seems like it's just really awkward to play using the 360 triggers. It looks like it was probably designed around the motion controls of the other systems and will be must easier to navigate also.

I personally agree with this. LLZ Act 2, along with the special stages, seem to have been designed with the Wii/PS3 motion controls in mind and so should be a lot easier to control on those systems. I can image tilting the Wiimote being much less frustrating than pressing the L and R triggers on the 360, but that remains to be seen.

All in all I'm impressed by the new footage I've seen, glad to see a few issues have been ironed out such as the floaty jump. Sure, it's not exactly like the original Megadrive games, but it could be a lot further off than it is.

Oh sure, go ahead and leak half the game behind my back, NO PROBLEM. Oh, and it's okay if you take down the LLZ act 2 video just when I'm about to watch it, sure!

Anyways, looking at a few videos, it's looking really good. Lost Labyrinth 1 in particular looks really well designed. The Orbonauts and the red Bubbles actually hinder homing attack spam. I'm really getting confident in this game.

So far there's a fair amount of gimmicks to make the levels feel unique, and the level design REALLY fits the environment, something that most recent Sonic games have lacked. The aforementioned homing attack spam looks to be taken care of with more intricate design and enemy placement.

Also I'm really starting to notice that the homing attack when not used on an enemy only gives you a short boost forward rather than a furious thok.

While the enemies are all the same as ones seen before, some have been given some new revisions to add to their attack pattern, green Orbinaughts expand their spike shield to increase range but makes them vulnerable, only red Bubbles have spikes, some of those lizard things turn into rockets, all really nice and unique.

I'm actually very impressed by what I see, only problem is that the physics are a bit too fast, but even then, they look far from broken.

Edited by Dread Spy Chuckles

So we can't post any more images or videos? Lame!

Oh well... out of respect for SEGA...

So we can't post any more images or videos? Lame!

Oh well... out of respect for SEGA...

In SEGA we respect, salute men. They have a lot of crap to deal with.

Still though, looking at some detailed observations... Will list them in a bit, but the physics really grow on you. I can't even see them as floaty now.

I thought you were quoting yourself for a moment.

Also it seems most everyone is in agreement that the mine cart level is the worst looking aspect so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought you were quoting yourself for a moment.

Also it seems most everyone is in agreement that the mine cart level is the worst looking aspect so far.

While the weakest link, I can't hate it since I love the cartoony surrealism to it.

Sonic games haven't had wacky, funny, and surrealistic things like the mine cart level IN CONCEPT for ages. It just might not have been executed the best, but I still think a skilled player could make it a lot more fun.

Edited by Dreadusk Chuckles
  • Thumbs Up 1

The mine cart looks like it has the potential to be fun, but while I was watching the video, I couldn't help but think to myself "this level would probably be so much better if you weren't stuck in a mine cart". But that might have just been because the player was crashing all over the place.

I'm fine with a mine cart level, I'm just worried about all the screen spinning. I was feeling sick watching the video, and I usually don't get motion sickness from games; it might be better when you're the one controlling it, and when you actually know what you're doing, but if it isn't...

yeah, honestly, that guy controlling sonic was terrible. the only thing that worries me is that he/she wasn't actually terrible at playing it, but the controls are really touchy/not refined well, a la sonic 06. i guess time will tell. the level is far from a dealbreaker for me, game still looks amazing

The player of that level seemed to be rather tilt-happy. I'm sure the level is easily playable if you have a steady hand and don't tilt too much.