Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

It all depends; African or European?

I don't know that!*flung into a pit!*

I wonder if Sonic is going to wind up being betrayed by some version of Shara in every single Storybook game.XD

Well, the world is going to end a LONG time after our lifetime (the average person thinks that, anyway). So because it's going to end, should we not continue to improve it? Should we stop inforcing the law, building homes and families, and living life?

No; we'll just move to Mars and ruin that instead!

• Thumbs Up 1

But I know.

Sonic would never put things off and change his ways. Because...

"Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running!"

The actual quote was:

"My adventures end when I stop running!"

Meaning that he'll continue to have adventures so long as there's an earth to run on, and a world worth saving.

Would you really want to erase your existence for good? And never return? Become absolutely nothing? Sure, a world that goes on forever can get frustrating... but that's where taking a break comes in.

No one would really like to die, Sonic wouldn't want to die either, but the difference is, there's a point in our lives where we have to accept that our time has to end to make way for new life.

And how do you "take a break" from living life?

The actual quote was:

"My adventures end when I stop running!"

Meaning that he'll continue to have adventures so long as there's an earth to run on, and a world worth saving.

Actually, the quote "Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running", is from the lyrics of Sonic's theme "It Doesn't Matter" (from the Sonic Adventure games).

Is "My adventures end when I stop running!" from Sonic & the Black Knight? I don't remember that quote; I haven't played in a while...

Sonic is probably a Catholic. I mean why else would he celebrate X-mas, or even mention the concept of Hell in SatSR after getting the White Ring.

Sonic has time and time again proven himself more powerful than Gods and other such omnipowerful beings. When has he been defeated by one of those thingies? Never to my knowledge.

It holds in my mind that Sonic is actually God and is simply unaware of this fact. He has dominion of the Chaos Emeralds and pwns the "God of Destruction" with relative ease, among other things. "Sonic the Godhog." I like it.

Sonic is probably a Catholic. I mean why else would he celebrate X-mas, or even mention the concept of Hell in SatSR after getting the White Ring.

I celebrate Christmas and talk about Hell, but I'm the furthest thing from religious XD I'd wager that MOST people who celebrate Christmas aren't religious. We've seen Sonic celebrate the commercial side of it (which is really all that most people in Japan do - ever seen that Santa on a cross? Yeah.) But I've yet to see him with a nativity scene or anything remotely non-secular.

Sonic has time and time again proven himself more powerful than Gods and other such omnipowerful beings. When has he been defeated by one of those thingies? Never to my knowledge.

It holds in my mind that Sonic is actually God and is simply unaware of this fact. He has dominion of the Chaos Emeralds and pwns the "God of Destruction" with relative ease, among other things. "Sonic the Godhog." I like it.

Nah. Sonic isn't a god. And he's certainly not God (singular). Such concepts in the games are more constructs that realities, anyway. A creature or being that calls itself a god is nothing more than a creature or being that calls itself a god, especially in a world where incredible powers run rampant and are almost par for the course. When god-like powers are as frequently observed in a place as in Sonic's world, they become less god-like and more of a token label.

• Thumbs Up 1

SONIC DOESNT HAVE A RELIGION HE JUST DOES WHAT HE THINKS IS RIGHT!!!

You dont have to have a religion to have morals and know whats right and wrong, and thats what sonic goes by.

Edited by Eternlo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, the quote "Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running", is from the lyrics of Sonic's theme "It Doesn't Matter" (from the Sonic Adventure games).

Is "My adventures end when I stop running!" from Sonic & the Black Knight? I don't remember that quote; I haven't played in a while...

Oh! I thought you were referring to the latter earlier. Mah bad. B)

Look at the first part of that quote. "[As] long as the voice inside me says go[...]". Sonic will keep running as long as he's compelled to by his own internal spirit. But what if one day that voice doesn't tell him to run any more? There's nothing in that quote to indicate that he wants immortality. Only that he'll keep going as long as he feels compelled to keep going.

Long as= Forever.

And Sonic also said "Never give up the fight". So, yeah.

Also, the SatBK quote is "My stories only end when I stop running!"... although Sonic never stops running. It plays sometime into the battle with The Dark Queen.

Also, becoming something else after you die isn't exactly an afterlife. Also, why would God separate each species as being better or worse? ALL SPECIES ARE EQUAL.

I have nothing against Buddhism. Also, this argument started when Diogenes responded to the SatBK bit in the first post.

And SatBK touched something that should have NEVER been touched. And it interfered with what else was established.

Also, you can take break from living. Ask to be put in a place for a while. I don't know, a ice chamber. The options are endless.

And Sonic SHOULD be a god. Would be so awesome. That should be in the next Storybook game!

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Long as= Forever.

Long as = forever until X no longer happens/is/etc. Meaning NOT forever, since whatever X is is bound to end eventually, most likely long after Sonic's time.

Big difference.

And Sonic also said "Never give up the fight". So, yeah.

To never stop fighting for what he believes in, so long as he's there to say anything about it.... what else is it supposed to mean again?

Also, becoming something else after you die isn't exactly an afterlife.

Afterlife - a life or a state of existence after death. So it is.

And SatBK touched something that should have NEVER been touched. And it interfered with what else was established.

Interfered with WHAT? And what did it touch upon?

And Sonic SHOULD be a god. Would be so awesome. That should be in the next Storybook game!

Yeah, Sonic snaps his fingers at the beginning of the game and the credits role with 99,999,999 points, lives, etc.

That'd sure be fun.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, becoming something else after you die isn't exactly an afterlife. Also, why would God separate each species as being better or worse? ALL SPECIES ARE EQUAL.

Reincarnation doesn't necessarily have to mean that some species are better than others. I know some believers in reincarnation feel that way, but not all of us do.

If Sonic comes back as a cat girl or a bug man or something, it shouldn't matter as long as he's got the same basic personality and still goes on adventures.

Long as = forever until X no longer happens/is/etc. Meaning NOT forever, since whatever X is is bound to end eventually, most likely long after Sonic's time.

Big difference.

To never stop fighting for what he believes in, so long as he's there to say anything about it.... what else is it supposed to mean again?

Afterlife - a life or a state of existence after death. So it is.

Interfered with WHAT? And what did it touch upon?

Yeah, Sonic snaps his fingers at the beginning of the game and the credits role with 99,999,999 points, lives, etc.

That'd sure be fun.

1. No, long as means forever. No more to it because nothing what you said was in the song. Please stop with inferences. Sonic never stops running, and he can't run if something ends. And not everything ends. So god ends? No, God doesn't. Sonic saying that "Things must come to an end" interferes with his personality and character traits.

2. And Sonic becoming a god in the next Storybook game IS a good idea. I meant him getting godly superpowers.

1. No, long as means forever. No more to it because nothing what you said was in the song. Please stop with inferences. Sonic never stops running, and he can't run if something ends. And not everything ends. So god ends? No, God doesn't. Sonic saying that "Things must come to an end" interferes with his personality and character traits.

Wut? :o

"'Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running"

So, what if the voice tells him to not go? There is nothing to say that the voice will stay there forever.

You know, as long as we are analyzing a song that says Sonic doesn't show off, does anyone think there is a second meaning to that lyric? Perhaps Sonic believes that voice is the will of his god- but that voice still comes from him. That means SONIC IS HIS OWN GOD OMGWTFBBQ!!!one :lol:

Edited by BlazingTales

The voice inside obviously means his conscience, so as long as there is injustice, and so on he will be their to fight it.

And again you dont need to be religious to have a good sense of right and wrong.

I think religion is stupid but i still respect that people are religious even though im not, i wasnt raised to be religious, and if you ever met me in person, im probably one of the nicest people you would meet nowadays.

So i dont think sonic has a religion, he just does what he thinks is right.

1. No, long as means forever. No more to it because nothing what you said was in the song. Please stop with inferences.

What evidence do you have to say that "As long as" definitely translates to "forever?"

So god ends? No, God doesn't.

We have no evidence that Sonic is a god, just that some ancient echidnas may have thought he was. It's not like he's ever been seen trying to infuse himself with some sort of magical immortality serum.

I dont think the echidnas thought he was a god at all, i think they just prophisized his involvment and idolized him as a savior.

The voice inside obviously means his conscience, so as long as there is injustice, and so on he will be their to fight it.

And again you dont need to be religious to have a good sense of right and wrong.

You know I was joking, right? :)

I dont think the echidnas thought he was a god at all, i think they just prophisized his involvment and idolized him as a savior.

Yeah, that's how I think of it too. I would think Knuckles would know if Sonic was a HUGE god of his civilization... or maybe it was a lost belief?

Edited by BlazingTales

Sonic never stops running, and he can't run if something ends. And not everything ends. So god ends? No, God doesn't.

Your obviously taking the phrase "never stop running" too literally. It doesn't mean Sonic will run forever, it means he will never stop running, as in having adventures. Obviously someday he will no longer run, i.e die, the point is, so long as he's still around to stop injustice, there's always an adventure waiting for him.

Sonic saying that "Things must come to an end" interferes with his personality and character traits.

There were never any part of Sonic's personality that ever suggested that Sonic believed in living forever and having things never end. Again, by, never stop running, it means never stop doing what he loves to do throughout his life.

2. And Sonic becoming a god in the next Storybook game IS a good idea. I meant him getting godly superpowers.

Because super speed wasn't enough? There's a lot you can do with that you know?

Really, giving someone godly super powers would be pretty boring. Once you have the power to do everything, the challenge, and there for fun, becomes so shallow when you can have the power to do just about everything.

You know I was joking, right? :)

Yeah, that's how I think of it too. I would think Knuckles would know if Sonic was a HUGE god of his civilization... or maybe it was a lost belief?

I figured you were, but i was just re-instating my idea of sonic not following a religion.

The echidnas may have seen him as a god since the mural in sonic 3 & knuckles shows sonic as super sonic (even though he's blue and looks like a fairy, it looks to me like the final stage/boss fight) and then the belief was most likely lost.

What evidence do you have to say that "As long as" definitely translates to "forever?"

Because Sonic runs forever.

But why does he run forever? What evidence of this can you find in the games?

It means that the statement was in a non serious tone, since Sonic is bound to ALWAYS keep running. Saying "Long as the voice inside me says go" is just a reassurance as to WHY he will always keep running; these conditions not impacting the real meaning of the phrase.

Basing the definition of a phrase based on the actions of a video game character doesn't really strengthen your case.

And basing stuff off of SatBK doesn't really help any case by that logic then.

And since Sonic is always to run, there must be a world. And so Sonic runs forever in a world that goes on forever. And Sonic runs for adventure.

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer

And basing stuff off of SatBK doesn't really help any case by that logic then.

No, your basing dictionary definitions off of a cartoon character, me basing cartoon character logic off of the universe the character exists in is completely reasonable.

And since Sonic is always to run, there must be a world. And so Sonic runs forever in a world that goes on forever. And Sonic runs for adventure.

Sonic doesn't live forever, so Sonic has no need to live in a world that exists forever. So Sonic doesn't run forever in a literal sense, and thus, has no need to have a world that exists forever.

Edited by Black Spy