Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

My. ...this is random. A topic on Sonic's religion.

That said, I'm not sure Sonic's the type of character to even bow down/worship to said Gods, or anything that represents them. Personally, I think he's agnostic.

...we're not going to get a game about this, right?

Yeah, that's how I think of it too. I would think Knuckles would know if Sonic was a HUGE god of his civilization... or maybe it was a lost belief?

I don't know. Knuckles seems to be completely oblivious of his culture in Sonic Adventure. Not sure if he still is. So, in that sense, I don't think he would know or think that.

Edited by Ryusuke

Sonic's not immortal, therefore he cannot literally 'run forever'. And besides, he stops to eat, sleep, etc., so he's not literally running forever anyway. I don't think we're supposed to take everything he says absolutely literally, y'know =P

No, your basing dictionary definitions off of a cartoon character, me basing cartoon character logic off of the universe the character exists in is completely reasonable.

Sonic doesn't live forever, so Sonic has no need to live in a world that exists forever. So Sonic doesn't run forever in a literal sense, and thus, has no need to have a world that exists forever.

And what I'm mentioning is directly from the logic off of universe.

And I'm not saying Sonic is immortal, but he should be. Him running on and on instead of being a loser that just gives things up is probably the best hero ever. But him continuously running and believing all worlds should come to an end DOES NOT blend well. And just because Sonic takes a nap doesn't mean he can't continue running.

Are you kidding?

Do you run, while your sleeping?

Man, stop taking things out of context. Everybody should know what it means for Sonic to run forever, his spirit keeps on running and he does continue to run regardless of what he's doing.

Man, stop taking things out of context. Everybody should know what it means for Sonic to run forever, his spirit keeps on running and he does continue to run regardless of what he's doing.

So, I guess what you're saying is that Sonic will eventually die, but he'll keep running forever, because he'll keep running as a ghost?O_o

You need to give us more of a sense of context before we're able to take your words in context. While I'm not saying it's necessarily intentional, your statements tend to be very confusing, because you don't say much to explain them.

Well, if Sonic dies, how can he run? If he likes running as long as he lives, then he SHOULD like a never ending world. And the afterlife still counts as a world.

A never ending world and a world/place frozen in time where nothing can move on is a very different thing. Like I said before, the world goes on BECAUSE of the cycle of life and death. Camelot may end, but Camelot isn't the world. And when the world eventually ends from a natural demise (much as ours will when the sun finally swallows it or we're battered by astral bodies), things will still go on and continue to exist.

But it was "world that goes on forever equals lame" in SatBK. WHICH IS NOT TRUE.

I have not heard a single character say "world in frozen time".

And how can there be things... if there is nothing?

And what I'm mentioning is directly from the logic off of universe.

The universe's definition of the phrase is no different from the real world definition.

And I'm not saying Sonic is immortal, but he should be. Him running on and on instead of being a loser that just gives things up is probably the best hero ever.

Letting things end when they're supposed to =/= giving up. Sonic never gives up striving for peace, but he knows when his time will come and that one day he won't be there to save the world, hence why he takes each day as it's own adventure.

And being immortal has a greater chance of making that character very shallow, especially when that character is known for is doing daring things and laughing at the face of danger, i.e exactly who Sonic is. When there's no danger of death, sneering at doom holds about as much weight as daring to eat a peanut butter sandwich.

But him continuously running and believing all worlds should come to an end DOES NOT blend well.

Again, Sonic doesn't literally run for all eternity. Obviously he knows there's death and that we shouldn't run away from it, but rather live each day to it's fullest, and take in every ounce of life there is in the time we have, i.e what Sonic does all the time.

And just because Sonic takes a nap doesn't mean he can't continue running.

So your ideal vision of Sonic is this? Notice how he's not so psyched about being able to run 24/7.

Well, if Sonic dies, how can he run? If he likes running as long as he lives, then he SHOULD like a never ending world. And the afterlife still counts as a world.

Sonic wants to be able to run and have adventures for as long as he lives. There was never anything to suggest that he'd want to have adventures forever, long after his world had moved on.

But it was "world that goes on forever equals lame" in SatBK. WHICH IS NOT TRUE.

It is lame when you prevent life from continuing, and take away the opportunity for future life to be born because of your own fear of death.

Merlina wants to prevent Camelot from falling by creating an everlasting kingdom, and thus, preventing the rest of history from taking it's natural course, preventing future kingdoms, civilizations and life from coming to be.

There will never be nothing. Not in Sonic's world, Camelot, or our world. After we die, there will always be life that will grow after our time, thus starting the cycle of life again. And after our world ends, new life somewhere in the universe may just be starting.

Edited by Black Spy

No, it was "world where nothing can die (and therefore nothing can be born and move through time in a natural ageing process) is not right and/or natural". Merlina wanted to take Camelot out of time and defy the natural progression of things, which is a selfish and completely detrimental thing to do.

Sonic clearly thought carefully about it. It wasn't just a "hey, I wanna ruin your fun!" decision. He was pretty flippant about it while directly trying to combat her actions, but afterwards he was careful to explain his reasoning and attempt to console her.

If nothing can die, then nothing can naturally grow and progress, and therefore everything is frozen in time.

There isn't going to be nothing. Just new and different things, after Camelot finally falls.

There isn't going to be nothing. Just new and different things, after Camelot finally falls.

Exactly. The kingdom Camelot falling is not the same thing as the planet that everyone was standing on suddenly exploding.

"What good is a world that goes on forever?"

A world that ends will have NOTHING.

A world that goes on forever will be a world where everyone never grows old and dies, thus, a world that never evolves.

A world where life goes on is a world that will never have no new life, constantly growing and evolving.

The world will end eventually, but that will happen looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong after anybody is around to witness it, so it really doesn't matter.

So what good is a world that goes on forever if it's a world that sees no new life.

Edited by Black Spy

That isn't necessarily true. Most worlds that go on forever have people living their lives and dying, and it happens forever. A world where everybody is immortal, as long as it stays cool, would be fun as well.

And how do you know that the world is going to end?

That isn't necessarily true. Most worlds that go on forever have people living their lives and dying
Which is not what Merlina wanted to set up, and thus is not what Sonic's statement is in reference to, and thus is irrelevant.

A world where everybody is immortal, as long as it stays cool, would be fun as well.
And apparently Sonic believes that it won't "stay cool".

Which is not what Merlina wanted to set up, and thus is not what Sonic's statement is in reference to, and thus is irrelevant.

And apparently Sonic believes that it won't "stay cool".

Where at all did you people get that Merlina was trying to make a world out of this frozen time nonsense?

And Sonic is a man that believes. And if it stays cool, it stays cool.

And Sonic is a man hedgehog that believes. And if it stays cool, it stays cool.

A Hedgehhoogggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Where at all did you people get that Merlina was trying to make a world out of this frozen time nonsense?
Forget frozen time for a moment.

To propose that Merlina merely wanted her world to continue to exist forever, with things such as life and death intact, makes no sense based on her words and actions. She was mourning a flower. She wanted that flower to continue to exist beyond its natural lifespan. Apply that to an entire kingdom and you get some serious upending of the natural order. If she refuses to allow flowers to die, she certainly wouldn't allow people, either.

And consider how she was worried about specific events, as in, the fight between (IIRC) Lancelot and Gawain that would lead to the dissolution of the knights. That would not be solidly solved simply by making all parties immortal. She had to have intended a world where that simply would not occur. And considering she was using a scabbard that grants immortality, and that one form of immortality is essentially being frozen in time...

And Sonic is a man that believes. And if it stays cool, it stays cool.
Can you try saying something that actually makes sense?

True, but at least whatever's there will have value, and would actually mean something compared to something that'll last forever.

Edited by Ryusuke

Forget frozen time for a moment.

To propose that Merlina merely wanted her world to continue to exist forever, with things such as life and death intact, makes no sense based on her words and actions. She was mourning a flower. She wanted that flower to continue to exist beyond its natural lifespan. Apply that to an entire kingdom and you get some serious upending of the natural order. If she refuses to allow flowers to die, she certainly wouldn't allow people, either.

And consider how she was worried about specific events, as in, the fight between (IIRC) Lancelot and Gawain that would lead to the dissolution of the knights. That would not be solidly solved simply by making all parties immortal. She had to have intended a world where that simply would not occur. And considering she was using a scabbard that grants immortality, and that one form of immortality is essentially being frozen in time...

Can you try saying something that actually makes sense?

But Sonic sed "World that goes on forever is lame" which ain't true.

And if it stays cool, IT STAYS COOL. And it makes sense.

Pay attention to context, else your argument is irrelevant.

As I said, Sonic apparently doesn't believe it would "stay cool". How about, instead of being dead-set on seeing this as a corruption of Sonic's personality, you take a step back and try and see why he would say that with his personality intact?

1) I don't remember Sonic saying anything like that in the game.

2)It's not a world it's Camelot that Merlina was trying to make imortal so the area would be more confined, and thus get boring alot quicker.

3)A world that had no ends thus couldn't have any beginings, If everyone was imortal but new life could form then the world would obviosly become overcrowded and cause more problems, so thus in order to avert these problems there would be no beginings to a world with no end. So then tell me: How can a place where the thrill of danger is gone, and where new beggining and possibilities don't come be a world that Sonic, or anyone for that matter, would want to live in?