Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

As Merlina was trying to avoid her kingdom's destruction, Sonic was trying not to understand her pain. See? He was trying to avoid something as she was.
He refused to acknowledge her twisted logic. If you'll remember their conversation after the battle, it's obvious he did understand.

And another point of mine is, if Sonic had the choice of making things how he wanted. If somebody was immortal, they wouldn't have to go through the worries of death. How is that not awesome. As for the TVTropes, what if everything you cared about was immortal? Honestly, what was the point of bringing up the article.
Because being immortal isn't all sunshine and lollypops like you seem to think. And even if everything else was immortal, you still run into the problem of running out of things to do.

And how would I not exist if my ancestors were still alive? Last I checked, reproduction does not come from sacrifice. It comes from sex for Krust's sake.
Welcome to a world that is literally standing-room only. How's it feel to be a human sardine?

edit:

And Sonic is like Peter Pan. If Sonic's not afraid of death, then shouldn't he already be dead?
Does not being afraid of snakes mean you let them bite you? Seriously, you're not making an ounce of sense. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hell no, man. It's not like Merlina wanted to trap everything in Camelot.

What does that last part have to do with anything?

My point is that, what if there was a world where you would ALWAYS have something to do and NEVER be bored? Sonic would sure enjoy that. And Sonic is the guy he doesn't wish to be sad. Hey, doesn't this make you wonder what made Sonic the hedgehog he is today? I think there was a tragedy of some sort. And so he made a vow to never cry and always be optimistic. It adds up, you know?

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer

First, I don't see where it is said anywhere in the game that Merlina's preservation of the Grand Kingdom would lead to ruination and death. That seems to be a fabrication made by Excalibur and Excalibur Sonic as well as the line of Caliburn's that suggests that she's willing to sacrifice countless lives just to escape her own sorrow. How? How would Merlina's plan involve killing if it's a plan to put the kingdom in a state of preservation?

Merlina didn't really care about others, she was doing what she did to escape her own fear, which is quite selfish.

As Merlina was trying to avoid her kingdom's destruction, Sonic was trying not to understand her pain. See? He was trying to avoid something as she was.

You obviously didn't watch the ending closely enough.

Sonic: "Merlina, every world has it's end... I know it's kinda sad but... that's why we gotta live life to the fullest in the time we have! *hands flower*

Also, she was willing to throw an entire civilization into eternal limbo to escape her own fear of the end, something that goes against Sonic could not let happen.

EDIT:

My point is that, what if there was a world where you would ALWAYS have something to do and NEVER be bored?

The point is, that's NOT what Merlina was trying to do, she was trying to escape her own fear of death by preventing everything from dieing, hinted by her sorrow of flowers dieing.

Edited by Black Spy

Well, if it was like that, then I guess I'm fine.

Things should still not end, and Sonic doesn't want things to end.

• Bad Quality Post 2

Dreamer, I repeat:

Dreamer, let me put it this way. Let's put aside notions of being selfish or unselfish. Would you want to be immortal if it meant being stuffed in a coffin or a small room for all eternity? I certainly would not, nor would I wish that upon anyone, not even the worst people.

The longer this discussion goes on, the more that I'm tempted to imagine Big the Cat in Merlina's place.

I mean, come on, don't tell me that "Can't you understand the depths of my sorrow" isn't hilarious in Big's voice.

What I find peculiar is that the Grand Kingdom's downfall is implied to happen because of the kingdom's lack of a king. Merlina states that Arthur is struck down by Mordred but this never happens in the game's story. Is she seeing the future via her Scrying Pool? Is this why the crowned Sonic goes back to the real world to escape the fate of that world's Arthur (I.e Him)? If so, how will the kingdom endure without it's king if Merlina implies that the lack of one is what leads to the kingdom's end?

If this is so, isn't it a bit hypocritical of Sonic to escape his fate when he says that the Grand Kingdom shouldn't escape it's fate? Seems a bit selfish to leave a world that needs his rulership but then it was selfish to expect him to stay in the storybook world too.

Do you have any interest in actual discussion, or are you just going to stick your fingers in your ears until everyone else changes their mind/goes away?

Well, if it was like that, then I guess I'm fine.

I'm sure he doesn't WANT things to end like anyone else, but he knows that it's something that he shouldn't choose and ACCEPTS it.

What I find peculiar is that the Grand Kingdom's downfall is implied to happen because of the kingdom's lack of a king. Merlina states that Arthur is struck down by Mordred but this never happens in the game's story. Is she seeing the future via her Scrying Pool? Is this why the crowned Sonic goes back to the real world to escape the fate of that world's Arthur (I.e Him)? If so, how will the kingdom endure without it's king if Merlina implies that the lack of one is what leads to the kingdom's end?

If this is so, isn't it a bit hypocritical of Sonic to escape his fate when he says that the Grand Kingdom shouldn't escape it's fate? Seems a bit selfish to leave a world that needs his rulership but then it was selfish to expect him to stay in the storybook world too.

Admittedly, the ending is extremely confusing because we're never told how long Sonic stayed after the ending, or what the circumstances of his leaving were. It's as if the game just decided to mind screw us and then say "That's all folks!"

Is she seeing the future via her Scrying Pool?
The way I took it, she knew it because she knew the story. The characters in SatSR were aware that they were in a storybook, so the ones in SatBK should be too...but their story hasn't finished yet.

Does that make sense? The mechanics of the storybook worlds aren't exactly well defined...

Sonic is a Sonicologist. Founded in 1991, Sonicology is the belief that all things Sonic are awesome, and made in Sega's image.

Really, hedgehogs and religion don't mix. Sonic's neutral because he needs to be available to all audiences. Maybe he celebrates Christmas on promo materials, but never in games. Also Christmas is a pretty "normal" holiday. Most places in the West are Christian, and the game is marketed towards Western audiences. In fact most countries on the planet have Christian populations. Even if you're a non-Christian living in Britain or States, you know someone with a Christmas tree. It's less jarring to see him with the tree than see him fasting on Ramadan, for example. Or not partaking in coffee because he's a Mormon.

For the quote in question, I agree with everyone here. Sonic didn't want the world to end - his world or anyone else's. If you wanna talk about afterlife though, you're drawing the wrong comparison. Afterlife is something that happens beyond death. There is a transformation, the afterlife is usually not physical, it's different. One world ends and another begins. In a way Sonic is saying not to be afraid of change or death. Merlina's world doesn't end, but it will "die" in a sense that it will move on beyond Arthur's kingdom. Because the kingdom was so important to her, she refused to let it go. She wanted a selfish and artificial immortality. Think of a celebrity who gets surgeries done rather than age normally. Or someone who has their animal stuffed instead of giving it a burial. Merlina was trying to give her world artificial life, which is more like zombification. Sonic realizes things end, and he's fighting so that the kingdom can move forward.

Anyways. There's a much more pressing question no one's even asked yet - can the wherehog hack a computer? Think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think SaTSR and SaTBK are reversals in the goals that Sonic is trying to achieve. In SaTSR, he was summoned to help put things back to normal, but in SaTBK, he was (ultimately) summoned to help CHANGE things and to PREVENT the story to take it's natural course.

Anyways. There's a much more pressing question no one's even asked yet - can the wherehog hack a computer? Think about it.
Yes, but only Vector can find it for him.

...er, well said, on the SatBK stuff.

Yes, but only Vector can find it for him.

...er, well said, on the SatBK stuff.

So transforming into a ferocious, super strong werewolf actually INCREASES Sonic's IQ? Or was Dark Gaia not the only thing he was exposed to that changed him? *winkwink*

Hell no, man. It's not like Merlina wanted to trap everything in Camelot.

...Yes she did. She wanted to remove Camelot from the flow of time thus making Camalot and everyone in it imortal, but at the cost of freedom. Would you realy want to be trapped in one place(even somewhere as big as Camelot)for all eternity?

Hey, doesn't this make you wonder what made Sonic the hedgehog he is today? I think there was a tragedy of some sort. And so he made a vow to never cry and always be optimistic. It adds up, you know?

1-Doesn't this seem a bit off the subject

2-Tragedy does not instantly equal hero, so just because Sonic is good-natured and kind-hearted doesn't mean something horrible happened in his life that made him vow to never think negative thats just how he is.

Well, if that's how Merlina wanted it, then this is my United States Of WHATEVER THEN. An eternal world is always still awesome.

Well, so onto Sonic's religion...

Well, so onto Sonic's religion...

I'm not sure that one can say Sonic has a religion, especially when the guy was walking around with a physical god(Chip) like it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

Sonic is most likely Christian.

How did you reach that conclusion?O_o One can celebrate the basics of modern Christmas(Gift-giving, togetherness, decorations) without actually being Christian. And like I said, one of Sonic's friends is a god. And he beat up the dark god that was opposing said friend, while he was Super Sonic. So I don't see how Sonic could be a monotheist.O_o

Sonic is most likely Christian.

No he's not.

He's just a character thats found himself thrown into a ton of Christian religious iconography and christian fictional narrative. The character himself has no official religious status, it's just that he finds himself surrounded by Christian imagery.

He celebrates Christmas.

So do washing machines. They never do any washing on Christmas Day. It's a government fact.

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 1

He celebrates Christmas.

What?

Look man, I don't have against you personally, but did you read anything I said past the first sentence?

I have trouble imagining Sonic as being "religious" in any sense... spiritual, maybe (it'd hard not to be when you deal with gods, monsters and magic gems on a regular basis), but can you imagine Sonic at any sort of religious ceremony? He'd fidget himself to death in church, I'm sure. Leave deep introspection to Shadow and ritual to Knuckles; I doubt Sonic has much interest in either.

Edited by Octarine

He's most likely Christian.

Him just celebrating Christmas without being Christian is just unlikely.

But Sonic lives by his own rules so I guess he is Sonican.

He's most likely Christian.

Him just celebrating Christmas without being Christian is just unlikely.

Firstly, Christians are monotheists who believe in a single god. Secondly, Sonic has been around at least two gods. One of them is his friend, the other he personally beat up. Granted, the game doesn't explicitly refer to Chip/Light Gaia or Dark Gaia as gods, but they are supernatural beings who were involved in the creation of the world, and whose existence is necessary for the world to continue existing. That's basically the definition of a god.

So, unless Sonic thinks of Chip as an aspect of Jesus, I don't see how he could be Christian.