Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

He's most likely Christian.

Him just celebrating Christmas without being Christian is just unlikely.

Like BlazeyBakeneko said you do not have to be Christian to celebrate the basic points of Christmas(gift giving,kindness,being with family). If your Christian then you believe the spiritual origin of Christmas, which Sonic has never been shown to believe. The fact is many many people no matter what religeon still give gifts or celebrate the Christmas holiday. Thus your argument is(once again)invalid.

But Sonic lives by his own rules so I guess he is Sonican.

Dude.

I've been watching this from the start but I'm gonna have to step in because it's becoming too painful to look at. First...

READ OTHER PEOPLES' POSTS BEFORE GOING TO WRITE YOUR OWN.

I can't stress that enough. It's annoying.

One can live in a place where a holiday is happening and celebrate it or not. It's their choice.

I'm an Atheist but I still celebrate Christmas, just not the "ohyayCAROLS" and stuff like that. Christmas seems to have become two celebrations. Religious and Undecided/Atheist.

Even after all this, Where is this hard solid proof of Sonic celebrating Christmas?

• Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of Immortality...

I thought that The Illusion of Immortality by Corliss Lamont was a great read.

Daisoku is right, you don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. Most of Christmas' traditions are borrowed from pagan celebrations anyway.

Well, so onto Sonic's religion...

Before any of you go any further (than you already have anyway) here's why Sonic is not, and never has been religious. Or at least a rough guess as to his response to it.

Why? Cause Sonic lives by his own rules.

Edited by Black Spy

spiritual, maybe (it'd hard not to be when you deal with gods, monsters and magic gems on a regular basis),
I dunno, I'd think being around the stuff so much and seeing how it works would dull the mysticism of it, to the point that it's basically just a natural part of the universe.

But Sonic lives by his own rules so I guess he is Sonican.

But so do a majority of the Japanese, but a lot of them aren't Christian (is is believed only 2% are in Japan.) A lot of them just like participating in holidays because they are fun.

Hell, I celebrate Hanukkah for occasion, but I'm not Jewish ( I just like the Latkes!) :P

I wonder which religions are in Sonic's world? You have the various Echidna religions, and the religious practices of the Babylonians (more like ancestral worship)and then you have some metaphysical relations and religion in Soleanna with the worship of the sun Solaris.

I wonder which religions are in Sonic's world? You have the various Echidna religions, and the religious practices of the Babylonians (more like ancestral worship)and then you have some metaphysical relations and religion in Soleanna with the worship of the sun Solaris.

Whoever built the Gaia Temples (ancient chihuahuas?) seems to have worshipped the Gaias, of course. There's also Illumina, who's some sort of dream goddess. I haven't actually played Sonic Shuffle, though, so I have no idea whether she was ever worshipped in Sonic's world.

I'd forgotten about the Babylonian religion; that's a good point. Maybe more religions in Sonic's world are species-central like that.

Edited by Octarine

Whoever built the Gaia Temples (ancient chihuahuas?)

And the children of the Lord did build monuments to his name. And thus the Lord said unto his chosen children: Yo Quiero Taco Bell.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think Sonic is Christian just because he celebrates Christmas. That's just the "default" winter holiday, for lack of a better word; I've seen pictures of Richard Dawkins with his Christmas tree.

I don't really think Sonic has a religion at all so much as a philosophy. He does seem rather spiritual despite his "cool guy" comportment, so if anything, he seems like a transcendentalist.

And the children of the Lord did build monuments to his name. And thus the Lord said unto his chosen children: Yo Quiero Taco Bell.

Congratulations BlazeyBakeneko,

winternet.jpg

What ever the case, though I'm in the firm belief that Sonic isn't spiritual in any way, the religions that DO exist in their universe do seem to be found within the many ancient civilizations that Sonic happends to come across. Most sound much like those of more ancient styles of worship, what with the monument building being the most present among all those shown.

[/failure at trying to not make this post spammy]

Maybe they share the same religion as George Carlin?

Edited by Black Spy

Congratulations BlazeyBakeneko

*takes a bow, accepts the internet coupon*:D

You know, with that prophetic mural in Hidden Palace Zone, maybe some of the echidnas worshiped Sonic.O_o

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

You know, with that prophetic mural in Hidden Palace Zone, maybe some of the echidnas worshiped Sonic.O_o

It does explain the SONIC STATUES AT THE TOP OF HYDROCITY!! *le gasp*

Side Note: Anyone noticed how insanely linear Hydrocity act 2 was?

Edited by Black Spy

There are also genies and djinn in the Sonic world, apparently.

And there are also ghosts.

And reincarnating Chao.

And water gods.

And at least 2 recorded incarnations of the devil.

Then there's Mephiles...

Solaris...

Christmas is celebrated...

I'm sure Chip is some sort of god...

So yeah. There's a name for this religion.

CHAOSISM.

Adabat people seem to worship Chip. Just look at the Chehaya Charm item in their shop! And the Adabat Gaia Temple is the only temple that has a stone relief mural that is completely different than all of the other temples in what it depicts. Adabat's temple depicts Dark Gaia at the bottom amidst clouds/smoke with Chip directly above it, surrounded in a halo of light.

Not forgetting that this temple is where the true essence of Light Gaia resides. It seems that Chip is merely it's physical avatar.

I agree with Blazey, ancient Echidna's seemed to hold Sonic (Or a hedgehog identical to him) in great reverence going by statues of him in Hydrocity as well as the mural/mosaic/tapestry in Hidden Palace.

I agree with Blazey, ancient Echidna's seemed to hold Sonic (Or a hedgehog identical to him) in great reverence going by statues of him in Hydrocity as well as the mural/mosaic/tapestry in Hidden Palace.

That's probably one of the reasons why Knuckles and Sonic have that rivalry going on; the lone guardian VS the revered future hedgehog. "I'm not bowing to you!" XD

And can we stop the posting of that Carlin video, it's not logical to say that 'X isn't Y because [Enter reasons why the poster doesn't like Y]' The biggest argument for Sonic's secularity is the fact he never talks about it, though that's not certain. Maybe he's a quietly practicing pagan or something.

This topic is the epitome of the internet-based failures of humanity. I am ashamed for the topic creator, and for anyone who even considers discussing this without a parodistic tone.

Screw petty Sonic 4 arguments. This is what's wrong with the Sonic community, and the internet at large.

Yeah, because Sonic is for babies and his character doesn't merit analysis. What you do for fun is your own business, but if we want to analyze and speculate about Sonic, leave us to it in peace. If you're concerned about what's wrong with the internet, making unnecessary insults certainly isn't helping your case. And if you're going to make an argument, especially one that strong, at least justify it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Though you gotta admit, debating something like religion in the Sonic series says a lot about how bored we must be. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Though you gotta admit, debating something like religion in the Sonic series says a lot about how bored we must be. :P

How so? The games often strongly imply various cases of deity worship. That's just as up for discussion as, say, characters are. Or any other aspect is for that matter.

Going on a forum and saying people are pathetic for discussing various minutae of the series the forum it pertains to is frankly nothing more or less than trolling.

Post is gooone people, there's not much to argue about.

As long as people are respectful/not spamming then it's all good in da hood

How so? The games often strongly imply various cases of deity worship. That's just as up for discussion as, say, characters are. Or any other aspect is for that matter.

Other deity worship in the series maybe, but thinking about what RELIGION Sonic follows is a bit ridiculous, even from a personality standpoint.

• Thumbs Up 1

Other deity worship in the series maybe, but thinking about what RELIGION Sonic follows is a bit ridiculous, even from a personality standpoint.

This. It's like discussing Mario's religion. (inb4romancatholic)

Don't get all butthurt about what I said, people. I'm just saying they're colorful cartoon-style video game mascots in a quasi-futuristic scifi-fantasy world of monsters and robots. If you personally do not react with a virtual laughing coffee-spit emote at the idea of someone seriously contemplating the religion of Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Mario, Pac-Man (Yes, he actually received strong characterization in lesser-known point-and-click adventure titles), or Red from Pokémon (his world is similarly disjointed from reality and has little to no traces of real-world religion), then that's more telling about you than the people who snort and guffaw at your conversation.

I don't think it takes Naoto Ooshima or Yuji Naka to come out and say Sonic does not have a religion. Sonic is not Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, or even Atheist, or anything. He's a thought—He's someone's idea manifest to paper and then developed into electronic form, and this "idea" as presented to the world connotes no intentional religious aspects beyond what fan-dumb wants to tear kicking and screaming from the darkest depths of extrapolation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I agree that it's incredibly farfetched to debate about a fictional character's religion considering he's shown no inclination towards religion of any kind. Nevertheless, it's pretty interesting that deities are referenced so often in the games. Like the displeased gods taking the emeralds from the people of Westside Island. Or the so called god that threw the Master Emerald in the air and made what would become Angel Island follow the emerald. Or the race of Babylonians being punished for crimes by gods. Or Solaris.

The Sonic series storylines are heavy on angry deities that's for sure!

I agree that it's incredibly farfetched to debate about a fictional character's religion considering he's shown no inclination towards religion of any kind. Nevertheless, it's pretty interesting that deities are referenced so often in the games. Like the displeased gods taking the emeralds from the people of Westside Island. Or the so called god that threw the Master Emerald in the air and made what would become Angel Island follow the emerald. Or the race of Babylonians being punished for crimes by gods. Or Solaris.

The Sonic series storylines are heavy on angry deities that's for sure!

And that's the kind of talk that's interesting. Not, y'know, saying Sonic shows agnostic beliefs, or christian beliefs, or muslim beliefs, or whatever. There's plenty of interesting history to poke at (and I find comedy in the thought that ancient echidnas may have worshipped the coming Hedgehog Messiah who would stop the Great Egg Demon or whatever), but going beyond that and seriously contemplating Sonic's real-world religion is just...

really?

No, really?

That molests my childhood a little. :[ I'm sorry I'm touchy.

Then, um... ignore the discussions and do something else? And leave those who do enjoy it and find entertainment in such speculative topics alone (: