Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

Then, um... ignore the discussions and do something else? And leave those who do enjoy it and find entertainment in such speculative topics alone (:

Just as people are welcome to ignore my posts. Whether or not we make these wise decisions to pass on commenting about things that inflame us is a personal matter, I imagine. Also, that's not very on topic, is it? ;)

Mother Vanilla Teresa coming up next.

^ lol

Just because someone celebrates Christmas doesn't mean that they're Christian. I know many many people who celebrate Christmas, Easter etc but are not Christian. Most of us come from countries where they are just accepted holidays, we do it because it's tradition now, not necissarily because of religion.

I think it's very important to remember that Sonic is a Japanese creation and in Japan you are automatically Shinto because it's their native religion, but they are also influenced heavily by Buddhism and Confusius, and many are also Christian at the same time. So chances are that Sonic is also a mixture of these things.

Also, just because he implies that a world that doesn't end it a bad thing doesn't mean that he's saying there isn't an afterworld. It's the idea that you have to deal with the fact that things end, peope die and you can't control everything. Sometimes you have to accept things and move on. I think it's a great message.

I think it's very important to remember that Sonic is a Japanese creation and in Japan you are automatically Shinto because it's their native religion, but they are also influenced heavily by Buddhism and Confusius, and many are also Christian at the same time. So chances are that Sonic is also a mixture of these things.

The basic idea there is correct, but actually only around 30% of Japanese profess to 'belonging' to any religion, so they're not 'automatically' anything... Most Japanese do, however, celebrate in accordance to Shinto, Buddhist AND Christian ritual. For example, Shinto birth blessings, Christian church wedding, Buddhist funeral. Shinto is generally more about life whereas Buddhism deals with death (and rebirth).

So really, despite being some of the most superstitious and ritual/ceremonial people on the planet... the Japanese really aren't strictly very religious at all, as they don't adhere to any one standard and instead incorporate many into their daily lives.

I'd imagine that Sonic was naturally infused with the same approach, due to his creators' cultural backgrounds. A hodge-podge of different gods and rituals to choose from, with no strict 'brand loyalty' to any of them.

WAIT A SECOND, how could Merlina been trying to create a frozen world if it was it was a world that goes on forever?

Sonic: Now I know what's going on!

Sonic was CLEARLY referring to a world that could get boring. But that's not an eternal world. An eternal world is a world that never gets boring. So, yeah, that's a fact.

• Bad Quality Post 2

WAIT A SECOND, how could Merlina been trying to create a frozen world if it was it was a world that goes on forever?
Goes on=exists.

Uh, OK? So, all worlds existing are in frozen time?

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer

Most Japanese do, however, celebrate in accordance to Shinto, Buddhist AND Christian ritual. For example, Shinto birth blessings, Christian church wedding, Buddhist funeral. Shinto is generally more about life whereas Buddhism deals with death (and rebirth).

That was my point.

Shinto is their native religion and it is beleived that aslong as you are Japanese you are a part of the Shinto religion, you can't leave it.

Exists=/=exists forever. Seriously, are you even paying attention to what you're saying?

Do you?

You people said Merlina wanted to make a world that would stay at the same spot... but it was "goes on".

Also, Sonic would like a world that goes on forever if it always remained to be awesome.

• Bad Quality Post 2

Do you?

You people said Merlina wanted to make a world that would stay at the same spot... but it was "goes on".

No offense, but I don't think you have the right to question Diogenes like that- he's making a more concise, factual argument than you are.

What he's saying is that yes, Merlina wanted to make a world that exists forever. But existing does not equal changing. Her means of making an eternal world would leave everyone in a vegatative slate.

Also, Sonic would like a world that goes on forever if it always remained to be awesome.

Where do you get that from? I'm not saying that's wrong.

I think it's great we don't know Sonic's religious philosophies. He's so relatable that we could technically call him any religion.

Edited by BlazingTales

I'm not sure if this is how everyone else is interpting it :P, but I think of Merlina's plan along the lines of pressing some kind of cosmic "Pause" button, which forces time to no longer passes, but still let people carry on living to an extent. This would have a serious effect on the whole circle of life thing, since this new cosmic order dictates that no one can pass away, no matter how much pain they might suffer (and might also prevent new life being born, since any new life would be locked in the same cycle of remaining the same and never growing at all). And thats likely to be the tip of the iceberg...

That probably wouldn't be the case, since (as something of a daredevil) most of the fun would come from his actual dices with death. You remove the threat of death, you also remove some of the fun from Sonic's adventures. :P

Exactly. We are born to die. If we were paused, physically, immortal... unable to die... that would imply that our physical state could never change in its natural cycle of life, growth and death. You pause people so they can't die, you also prevent birth and ageing.

Also, another good point made; you're right. Sonic would have much less fun in a world where there was no fear of death and thus no challenge (;

There's a difference between an ever changing world and a never changing world. Merlina likes the latter, because it brings no pain. Sonic likes the former even with pain, because he prefers to be challenged and see new things, and that means that all things start and end. I'm sure he'd be pretty bored if he lived in the latter like Merlina wanted. It fits his personality and it has nothing to do with religiun.

No offense, but I don't think you have the right to question Diogenes like that- he's making a more concise, factual argument than you are.

What he's saying is that yes, Merlina wanted to make a world that exists forever. But existing does not equal changing. Her means of making an eternal world would leave everyone in a vegatative slate.

Where do you get that from? I'm not saying that's wrong.

I think it's great we don't know Sonic's religious philosophies. He's so relatable that we could technically call him any religion.

I don't think so about Diogenes having a better argument. That was pretty unnecessary by the way. Leave me alone.

If people wish to die if they suffer so much, then they can be sealed somewhere instead. That's almost an equivalent to death. If Sonic wants the fear of dying but doesn't die anyway, then what about the fear of being sealed? Also, you can be afraid of simply getting hurt instead.

I have no problem with an ever changing world, as long as it isn't annoying. But a world that has to end? NO. This is the point. Sonic's personality goes more to a liking of a world that never ends. SatBK was just trying to add some unnecessary life lesson. Really, was it that hard to just make Sonic fight King Arthur as the final-final boss?

And a world that never ends CAN change. It can change again and again.

No offense, but I really don't think you people are thinking what you type through. Would you really want to erase your existence for good? And never return? Become absolutely nothing? Sure, a world that goes on forever can get frustrating... but that's where taking a break comes in.

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer

A Kingdom that never ends has even less potential than a world that never ends, and that's actually what she wanted. No dynasty lasts for ever, and no dynasty SHOULD.

PS: Why is this topic called "Sonic's religion" when 99% of this thread is about Merlina's effed up immortality fantasies?

Whatever. But the Sonic non-canonically said...

"What good is a world that goes on forever?"

When it's PLENTY good.

And it's not my fault we're discussing it.

I don't think so about Diogenes having a better argument. That was pretty unnecessary by the way. Leave me alone.

I apologise, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Diogenes was answering your question, and you were stating the same thing. To me, your response sounded like a "You hit me low so I'm going to hit you low back!" kind of thing. Once again, sorry if I hurt your feelings. :)

I have no problem with an ever changing world, as long as it isn't annoying. But a world that has to end? NO.

I think it's great we live in a world where everything must end- even existence of said world. Yes we have death, pain, and suffering because of it, but we also have birth, happiness, and fun. The death of one planet can lead to the formation of thousands. Sonic, as a "seize the day" type of guy- knows you have to make the most out of the time you have. If he knew he had all the time in existance, and could put things off until tomorrow, then would he be the same?

SatBK was just trying to add some unnecessary life lesson.

You leave those morals out of it! Without Sonic, I wouldn't have known about the REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK! :P

And a world that never ends CAN change. It can change again and again.

Indeed, a never-ending world CAN change, but Merlina wasn't making an ever-changing world, just an ever-lasting one. Maybe Sonic would like a world that never ended as long as it was fun. Maybe when Sonic said "What good is a world that never ends?" he was referring to Merlina's warped view of a never-ending world. I guess we'll never know.

Edited by BlazingTales

But I know.

Sonic would never put things off and change his ways. Because...

"Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running!"

How can he keep on running if there is no world. How can there be possibilities if there is no world? How can Sonic say a world that goes on forever is lame... if he apparently didn't want it? SatBK just tried change Sonic's personality and even by a slight change, that game ain't canon. As was SatSR.

Just typing.

I really don't know where you're getting the whole 'no world' thing from anyway. Sonic will have been long dead from natural causes before the world ends, regardless of Merlina's kingdom's status.

Also, no idea why you keep saying it's non-canon.

How can he keep on running if there is no world. How can there be possibilities if there is no world? How can Sonic say a world that goes on forever is lame... if he apparently didn't want it? SatBK just tried change Sonic's personality and even by a slight change, that game ain't canon. As was SatSR.

Just because the world will end doesn't mean Sonic wouldn't be running. If anything the fact that Sonic knows and accepts this fact and still keeps going shows how strong his character is. And Black Knight didn't change his personality, it showed a part of his personality that wasn't touched upon before. Showing a previosly unknown view Sonic has doesn't instantly make it uncanon.

But I know.

Look at the first part of that quote. "[As] long as the voice inside me says go[...]". Sonic will keep running as long as he's compelled to by his own internal spirit. But what if one day that voice doesn't tell him to run any more? There's nothing in that quote to indicate that he wants immortality. Only that he'll keep going as long as he feels compelled to keep going.

The world will die long after Sonic's death. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, you're thinking that because Sonic excepts the world is going to end, then it contradictss the fact Sonic saves it?

Well, the world is going to end a LONG time after our lifetime (the average person thinks that, anyway). So because it's going to end, should we not continue to improve it? Should we stop inforcing the law, building homes and families, and living life?

Edited by BlazingTales

PS: Why is this topic called "Sonic's religion" when 99% of this thread is about Merlina's effed up immortality fantasies?

The original post assumed that Sonic's stance in Black Knight made him a Buddhist. Evident ally this was because the original poster did not realize that Buddhism has an afterlife.

Personally, I am starting to become interested in more pressing questions, such as, does Sonic know the what the value of the airborne velocity of an unladen swallow is?

Personally, I am starting to become interested in more pressing questions, such as, does Sonic know the what the value of the airborne velocity of an unladen swallow is?

It all depends; African or European?

• Thumbs Up 1