Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I got the Dark Horizons book from Forbidden Planet yesterday, it sounds quite good. I'm going to finish reading the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy series, then read some Doctor Who books because I also got the lost adventures from Douglas Adams too. I don't know which one to read first though. Can anyone suggest?

As for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, well, from me =, it was watchable, may go back to it with the rest of the other episodes of the series before the Christmas one. It wasn't as great as Asylum for me, but it sure as hell was crazier. I mean, we hadn't gotten to the title sequence yet and it was already one of the most weird ones of the 11th Doctor.

So, all in all, I'll have to go back to it later and give it another go before I can form a proper opinion

And one last thing, I used the Universal remote, it's really fun to use. I'm getting one for my birthday.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/90103-doctor-who-eleventh-doctors-sonic-screwdriver-universal-remote-control/

Edited by Rainbow Ring

I enjoyed Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Definitely one of the more insane episodes I've seen, but that's fine by me. Though did I also just watch a Harry Potter reunion episode? blink.png

Yeesh. That was one hell of a fun episode. Sure, the plot isn't deep but we generally have one fun Who episode a series. I had quite a couple of laughs in it too. Also, I liked the foreshadowing to the last episode of the first half

Doctor: You'll be there until the end of me.

Amy: or Vice Versa.

By the way, I think I figured out what Moffat meant by The Eleventh Hour having a huge hint about the final first half.

You know how Amy and the Doctor found the duck pond, but there were no ducks? They could've just stopped there, but no. The Doctor asks why there's a duck pond if there are no ducks. What if Amy and Rory die from the Weeping Angels and as tribute, Doctor goes back in time and creates a Duck Pond near by?

They're releasing some images from A Town Called Mercy at midnight. I'll download and put them here or link them here.

Though I'm really looking forward to The Power Of Three to see if the title means the same as to book, The Power Of Three.

Edited by Rainbow Ring

True, having both Mark Williams and David Bradley in there gave the cast a very familiar feel. Simply replace Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint and you've got Harry Potter and the Dinosaurs on a Spaceship tongue.png

This reminds me of one thing I read: In both Harry Potter and DW, Mark Williams was playing the father of somebody with the initials RW.

By the way, I think I figured out what Moffat meant by The Eleventh Hour having a huge hint about the final first half.

You know how Amy and the Doctor found the duck pond, but there were no ducks? They could've just stopped there, but no. The Doctor asks why there's a duck pond if there are no ducks. What if Amy and Rory die from the Weeping Angels and as tribute, Doctor goes back in time and creates a Duck Pond near by?

I get the impression that, when Moffat refers to things like hints and callbacks, he doesn't mean literal plot connections but more thematic ones - symbolism in particular lines of dialogue. But hey, we'll see. I get the impression that he is also going to make some connections of a more plotty nature.

So I watched Dinosaurs on a Spaceship last night and it was generally enjoyable but something really confused me at the end:

The Doctor left Soloman to die in his spaceship! The Doctor would never kill any life form. Especially humans. Why did he do that? At least save him and find another way to stop him instead of outright killing him. The Doctor hates violence, but why on earth did he kill him?

spoilers.png

Edited by Master Bater

So I watched Dinosaurs on a Spaceship last night and it was generally enjoyable but something really confused me at the end:

The Doctor left Soloman to die in his spaceship! The Doctor would never kill any life form. Especially humans. Why did he do that? At least save him and find another way to stop him instead of outright killing him. The Doctor hates violence, but why on earth did he kill him?

spoilers.png

He didn't kill him. I think he left him to die because he coldly killed an endangered alien race that fled Earth to find another system to be colonized, its not the first time the Doctor has been a bit cold.

Edited by BW199148

spoilers.png

But he kills Daleks and things like them all the time. He was in a war with them, killed nearly all of them, plus, nearly all of the Time Lords.

CultBox's spoiler-free review of A Town Called Mercy is now up:

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/4761-doctor-who-a-town-called-mercy-spoiler-free-review

Can't say I'm too shocked by the verdict based on what we've seen so far, really. But it's only one person's opinion so it could well even be a love it or hate it episode in which people's opinions vary wildly. Saturday will reveal all.

CultBox's spoiler-free review of A Town Called Mercy is now up:

http://www.cultbox.c...ler-free-review

Can't say I'm too shocked by the verdict based on what we've seen so far, really. But it's only one person's opinion so it could well even be a love it or hate it episode in which people's opinions vary wildly. Saturday will reveal all.

Like it says, it won't be a favorite, I can't see it being mine from what I've seen anyway. Hopefully it'll be good enough to enjoy, I can see that happening. The story hasn't grabbed a lot of my attention, but that is down to the lack of reveals.Any who, guess Saturday will come and reveal.

A Town Called Mercy images!

post-3794-0-61545300-1347376014_thumb.jp

post-3794-0-50240600-1347376049_thumb.jp

post-3794-0-75879400-1347376081_thumb.jp

post-3794-0-79682000-1347376117_thumb.jp

The rest can be viewed on the Doctor Who page on the official website. I didn't put them all here because of how many there is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...leries/p00yf05c

And I ordered the Sonic Scredriver Universal Remote for my birthday. (well, I didn't order it for myself. I'm not that lonely.)

Edited by Rainbow Ring

So, pardners, here's my thoughts on A Town Called Mercy...

Well, that was a lot better than I was anticipating! I didn't know what to expect from this episode, but the story didn't match up to what I thought it would be at all... and all the better for it! Like with Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, it nailed the cinematic feel and worked well as a standalone episode, with a great antagonist - seriously, the Gunslinger is too cool for words, if only because I got serious Metroid Prime vibes when he was charging up his arm cannon - and it was interesting to see The Doctor get so... well, angry. Suddenly his lack of mercy at Solomon's death last week makes a bit more sense. The Doctor travelling alone for the most part again has got him back into the ol' "Time Lord Victorious" mindset to some degree, as we saw in The Waters of Mars... and it could have some intriguing consequences on the next couple of episodes, and indeed Amy and Rory's ultimate fate.

As for next week - The Power of Three - it looks pretty good as well. It actually feels refreshing to have an episode set back in the companion's hometown again, because thinking about it we haven't had hardly any of those in the Moffat era, at least compared to the Russel T Davies era where every other episode was set in contemporary London. So yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Wow. Four good Doctor Who episodes in a row - could it happen? Maybe five even? Fingers crossed.

What? No thoughts on the "Power of Three"? I mean, it aired like, 5 hours ago people! Well, I personally loved it. A lot of foreshadowing, some nice references (K9, Fish Sticks & Custards return, Brigadier Lethbridge, etc) and a very cunning race imo.

The "Next Time" clips though......oh boy

River Song is back again, Amy & Rory are being hunted by the Angels, EVERY STATUE IN NEW YORK IS AN ANGEL! INCLUDING GOOD OL' LIBERTY! WHY MOFFAT WHY!?

It was a fantastic episode until the end. The end was so rushed and "nothing". This episode was a perfect example of how plots stregthened entirely by mystery lose all their oomph when the mystery is explained in surgical detail, let alone when the problem is then solved in 30 seconds without really explaining how (the doctor whizzled the screwdriver and... did something that reversed it all yay).

But, the rest of the episode was brilliant, and gorgeously deconstructing of a lot of things in the overall arcs of Doctor Who we take for granted, both insightfully and hilariously. The initial concept was fantastic too, because... ridiculous as it all is... humans really are like that. Everyone would be quite precious and want cubes as momentos of that time that... cubes appeared everywhere lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just like to point out the different time zones and all that. I get the episode a bit later than some of you.

But enough time talk time to talk about time!

This episode was good. i liked the last episode but this episode dragged me in like Asylum of the Daleks but more so. The chemistry was great, the characters, the jokes, the dialogue the enemies, everything was great. it was a blast to watch from beginning to end. I like how they are deconstructing things. Making note of the fact that the Doctor's companions have lives outside of adventuring with him and that he knows that he won;t have them forever. The scene between him and Rory's dad stood out to me. Easily one of my favourite scenes. I liked the cubes. They were neat villains and were handled quite well.

So next week, we get Moffat using his creation to once again to scare the crap out of us except on a bigger scale than ever before. If that wasn't big enough a reason for this episode to stand out, there's the fact that this will be a big change for the Eleventh Doctor. This is going to be good.

Does anyone else find that the villains' voices in DW are quite often only half-audible? The Silence, the Gunslinger, the... Shakri, was it? For me they are just sitting on the line between creepy and inaudible. Could be my sound settings or something, I guess.

As for the episode itself... I liked it enough. I see that a lot of people have problems with the resolution, though, and it doesn't entirely gel with me either. I think it was fundamentally sound but needed tweaking. That's Chibnall for you though. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, by which I mean that he never gets things quite right but does an okay job nonetheless.

I'm going to echo what others have already said about The Power of Three - it was a very good episode with a brilliant concept that was excellently done for the most part, but the resolution was absolutely pitiful. The antagonists were basically non-existent and the way everything puts back to normal is just... lazy. The Doctor does some sonic screwdriver-ing to a screen and suddenly everyone comes back to life? Erm... woo?

On the plus side though, the return of Rory's dad was welcome... and Brian Cox and Lord Alan Sugar in MY Doctor Who? Schweeeeeeeeeeet.

Looking forward to next week's mid-season finale (are we at Episode 5 already?!), which I've heard nothing but good things about. Let's hope it's a solid send-off not only for Amy and Rory, but for the first half of what has undoubtedly been Matt Smith's strongest series so far.

... I'm honestly very surprised right now...

My dad, whom has once vowed never to watch another Doctor Who series other than the 4th doctor has recently got into this show.

My youngest sister, who hates pretty much everything I love, and is almost a stereotypical valley girl is incredibly obsessed with Doctor Who

and my mom who doesn't enjoy watching sci-fi and can't stand British shows ("She can't understand anyone's accent" she says. tongue.png ) even got into it. (Though she won't admit it.)

So it seems my entire family have become Whovians... I don't even know how that's possible. I was only expecting me and my middle sister to enjoy this show...

How in the world did this happen?! D:

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 4

That 'NEXT TIME' clip for The Angels Take Manhattan, damn they're good at making suspense. The final clip at the end with Amy and Rory, can't wait to see what happens with that. I think that episode is the one I've looked forward to the most, after Asylum. I look forward to the episode, but the Pond's leaving? Not so much.

When were there prequels?

I think I heard that prequels for the first three episodes were released exclusively on iTunes or something? It's kind of a bizarre arrangement; they've had no fanfare whatsoever and I think I heard they're U.S.-only.