Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

One of the next half of Series 7's title is "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" and Neil Gaiman will be writing the episode before the series finale. Get hype!

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Eccleston:

Wow, at the end you can see a look on his face that says " Yeah, screw you, gotta go". I found it really funny in all its awkwardness.

OK, just seen the new episode...

and WHAT was up with that ending? I don't get it...

Also, the Great Intelligence... Isn't that the thing that used robot Yetis during Patrick Troughton's tenure?

I really enjoyed today's ep too.  Still a little too much of that Moffat-era cheesiness but he's dialing it back a little.  He also managed to make a difficult-to-follow-but-makes-sense-in-the-end plot that was a good romp to boot too when it feels like too many eps recently have been difficult-to-follow-and-then-suddenly-cheap-ending.

Doesn't beat last year's special or Voyage of the Damned but it's on par with Tennant's first christmas special and the christmas carol homage one for sure.

I'm going to write up my thoughts on the episode when I'm feeling a little better... but my goodness... That new intro is amazing!

Just when it started I thought 'Oh please show Mats face in the stars like you did in the old seri WWHHHOOOOAAAA!'

Also like how when the tardis comes flying at the screen the doors open and the episode starts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to write up my thoughts on the episode when I'm feeling a little better... but my goodness... That new intro is amazing!

Just when it started I thought 'Oh please show Mats face in the stars like you did in the old seri WWHHHOOOOAAAA!'

Also like how when the tardis comes flying at the screen the doors open and the episode starts.

I totally thought that too! It was pretty fantastic! The theme and the new animation was brilliant.

The episode was too. Moffat surely made another good'n this year. I loved the whole thing, and how they tied it together as to how Clara is possible, great.

The new TARDIS is really cool, too! Much better than I expected, but, is it me, or was it not explained why it has changed? Maybe I missed that bit, or they just haven't told us. If it was mentioned, would someone jog my memory, please?

Doctor Who in The Snowmen Review:

The bold new design yet familiar feeling from the uncluttered Tardis and the Classic Who homage intro were gorgeous, my favorites of the revival. Almost the entire episode was great, with the cloud headquarters brillantly executed. For me the story falls apart during the last extra 15 minutes when the excitement of the new Companion and the momentum of the story slows down into a painfully cliche soap opera. The likes of which we haven't seen with a Companion since Russell Davies' terrible writing as showrunner at the end of the Tennant years. With a literal rain of tears being shed, but luckily without this Doctor crying in the rain like a soggy sap.

What I loved about Pond's tenure, and what I thought Eleven was all about, was not getting romantically involved with a Companion, because it's a terrible idea that brought down Ten. Pond went after him hard in an unaired scene and Doc rebuffed her, explaining what he really needs is a fresh pair of eyes to know what matters in a sea of stuff, to vicariously experience the wonders of time and space, not hook up with a hot chick. Here the Doctor is emphatically rejecting people and letting the world spin on without him yet too quickly falls head over heels for Oswin without knowing who she will be. It's more than a sense of obligation, he's a love sick puppy.

It really makes no sense the Doctor's notion in this episode that someone shouldn't be able to die more than once within their own lifetime (this is before revealing Oswin just reincarnates into a new body like she's Rory the Roman) when the Doctor never, ever stated her Dalek form or death in Asylum was a fixed point in time. The last episode even says your death is very changable if you don't know when it happens. You can both survive and die at the same event and entire generations pop in and out of existence with only a time traveller recalling any of it.

If the episode had ended on a poignant note with Doc and Oswin revealing Simeon as a mere puppet to the seething maliciousness he created as a mirror of his own twisted soul, I would be praising the whole thing right now and let the flirtations slide as silly fun. But the over the top melodrama kind of forces this character down your throat, just like how she so forcibly tongued the Doctor.

Edited by Christmas Kitty

I actually hated this.  The new intro is utterly amazing in every way but then that happened and it crossed some line of "too cheesy" for me personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the episode, the Snow villains were really very well done, but I thought the whole 'Clara kisses the Doctor' thing felt a bit forced to me. Ace new credits though, and the new Tardis interior kicked arse too. Very swish, very retro, very Who.

It really makes no sense the Doctor's notion in this episode that someone shouldn't be able to die more than once within their own lifetime (this is before revealing Oswin just reincarnates into a new body like she's Rory the Roman) when the Doctor never, ever stated her Dalek form or death in Asylum was a fixed point in time. The last episode even says your death is very changable if you don't know when it happens. You can both survive and die at the same event and entire generations pop in and out of existence with only a time traveller recalling any of it.

I'm not really sure what fixed points have to do with Clara's situation.  This wasn't a case of the same person having two different deaths, but two different lives.  Same name, voice, appearance, personality - but one's a Victorian barmaid/governess whilst the other was an entertainment officer on a spaceship in the far future.  What's the connection?

Although even if two different deaths was all there was, there being some time leap in the character's past seems more than reason enough to investigate and see if you can do something for them.

Neil Gaiman's Cybermen:

tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego4_1280.jpg

tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego1_1280.jpg

tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego3_1280.jpg

tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego2_1280.jpg

tumblr_md4qwcOZ671qc9aego7_1280.jpg

Nice to see the Cybus Industries design cast off and replaced. I hope that they have a new cybernetic voice. I remember a black and white early version of them on the moon being all, "We will surviiiiive", in a really cool voice. Something a bit like that would be nice to hear.

When I saw those Cybermen in the Coming Soon part of The Snowmen I was so glad. I really wasn't a fan of the Cybus Industries ones, so glad to see some new designs.

I actually hope this is meant to be a new design for the original Cybermen (the ones from Mondas). I didn't like (or even know) that their new design (in "A Good Man goes to War" and "Closing Time") was literally the Cybus design without the Cybus logo.

So I just watched End of Time. I'll spoiler it, just in case anyone's interested in getting into the show.

I thought it was really great, I loved the Master and I was not expecting to see the Time Lords (Despite me knowing what was mostly going to happen in this episode.)

If there was one complaint I had, it was how freaking depressing the 10th doctor's regeneration was. I don't mind some sadness whenever the Doctor Regenerates, but that was way too sad. I felt that there could have been a better way for the Doctor to go out than saying "I don't want to go."  He literally went out with a whimper than a bang.,, With how loved he is, you would think he would have been given a better sendoff.

I know its a sin among Whovians to talk about regeneration before the show's developers are discussing it, but I really hope the 11th doctor's regeneration such a bummer like this one was.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

So I just watched End of Time. I'll spoiler it, just in case anyone's interested in getting into the show.

I thought it was really great, I loved the Master and I was not expecting to see the Time Lords (Despite me knowing what was mostly going to happen in this episode.)

If there was one complaint I had, it was how freaking depressing the 10th doctor's regeneration was. I don't mind some sadness whenever the Doctor Regenerates, but that was too, sad. I felt that there good have been a better way for the doctor to go out than saying "I don't want to go." He literally went out with a whimper than a bang.

I know its a sin among Whovians to talk about regeneration before the show's developers are discussing it, but I really hope the 11th doctor's regeneration such a bummer like this one was.

Couldn't agree more. And when he was saying bye to the companions, I got the idea but I feel it dragged like hell. And his last words, Christopher Eccleston had a nice one, a lot of the Doctor's did, but Tennant's was a bit pitiful, really. But the 11th Doctor's first scene is brilliant, when he's checking out how the regeneration went. I love when he checks his hair and says "I'm a girl!, No! No!"

50th anniversary multi-Doctor audio story confirmed!

In November 2013, Big Finish will be releasing Doctor Who: The Light at the End, a very special 100-minute story to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who. Tom Baker (1975-81), Peter Davison (1982-84), Colin Baker (1984-86), Sylvester McCoy (1987-89) and Paul McGann (1996) will all reprise their roles as, respectively, the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Doctors, whose paths suddenly intersect when they face imminent destruction.

facebook-page-image-50_image_large.jpg

Geoffrey Beevers is the Master.

tumblr_mfszbp9Imr1qcwhkeo3_250.gif

tumblr_mfszbp9Imr1qcwhkeo9_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mea7qwE8ts1qcwhkeo1_400.gif

I'd like there to be a TV multi-Doctor special featuring McGann; his Doctor simply hasn't had enough exposure. Perhaps one relating to the Last Great Time War? As in, several other incarnations of the Doctor are thrust headlong into a pivotal battle in the war alongside him when something timey wimey happens, and only their combined intellects can save the day, or something.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Doctors 4-8 in an epic audio story? Hell YES! :D

If there's going to be a multi-Doctor TV episode, it'll be Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith. NuWho on TV, Classic Who on audio.

Doctors 4-8 in an epic audio story? Hell YES! biggrin.png

If there's going to be a multi-Doctor TV episode, it'll be Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith. NuWho on TV, Classic Who on audio.

McGann deserves to be in that group. Easily.

McGann deserves to be in that group. Easily.

He deserves to be, but I imagine they'll keep the two eras separate. McGann's already got his multi-Doctor appearance now, so I'd imagine they'll let the other three have their turn.

Yes, but his appearance is audio-only. I want a TV appearance too. He's hardly a Doctor of the old era, I think he'd fit in nicely alongside Smith, Ecclestone and Tennant.

The problem is selling it to the kids though who most certainly will know next to nothing before Eccleston (if they still even remember him).

Though McGann does deserve a visual reprise though.  The movie was pretty cool.

I haven't finished watching the Christmas special yet, but I would like to chime in and say that I LOVE the new intro, especially the nice callback to the classic era by showing Matt Smith's face in the nebula cloud. Really spiffy.

I'm not sure Eccleston will show up for the 50th Anniversary honestly, the guy has never really enjoy his post Who fame. He's never really enthusiastic about it when anybody asks and just likes to bury the subject as soon as possible. Tennant is totally different though since he loves the show, would love to come back, has multiple ways to come back AND he has his old Doctor suit at home, raring to go.

I'm not sure Eccleston will show up for the 50th Anniversary honestly, the guy has never really enjoy his post Who fame. He's never really enthusiastic about it when anybody asks and just likes to bury the subject as soon as possible. Tennant is totally different though since he loves the show, would love to come back, has multiple ways to come back AND he has his old Doctor suit at home, raring to go.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting Eccleston to return either especially after watching that video where he really looked like he wanted to get the heck out of there when asked about the 50th anniversary. It's a shame, I really enjoyed his performance as the Doctor. Oh well, At least David Tennant is guaranteed make a return.

Even though I think have stated I think he's overrated, I really enjoyed his performance as well, not to mention his enthusiasm really shows when he plays the Doctor.... I can't help but find that really charming about him. It'll be nice to see him make a return, especially after the lousy sendoff he had in "End of Time" and see how he interacts with Matt Smith (My personal favorite as of now.)

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

So this is a thing that exists.

dw-monopoly.jpg

Dalek: THE DALEK EMPIRE WILL PURCHASE THE PLANET EARTH FOR $500!!!

Doctor: Hah! Guess who already purchased it for $600!? You owe me rent!

Dalek: EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 8