Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I quite agree, but the back-stage politics may just be the end of him. If RTD takes over again I'll be so pissed off.

Good GOD this.

Moffat Teases 50th Anniversary and Movie

It's Doctor Who's 50th anniversary in 2013, and Whovians are already excitedly speculating about multiple Doctors returning for an ensemble episode - but according to showrunner Steven Moffat there might well also be multiple episodes to mark the BBC sci-fi show's half-centenary.

“Why talk in the singular?" said Moffat, when asked by The Scotsman about the upcoming anniversary episode. "The plans are at an early stage, but we have some very clear ideas about some of the things we’re doing, and I think Doctor Who fans and kids will think it’s the best thing ever. We’ve got a load of very big plans – the mere fact that we’re talking about this two years before the event should tell you how seriously we’re taking it.”

And although Moffat refused to give anymore away about the 2013 show(s), he was keen to dispel recent rumours about a big budget Hollywood film version of Doctor Who which some have speculated may be totally disconnected from traditional Who canon.

“It’s completely inaccurate!” said Moffat. “There’s nothing there. I mean it would be lovely, yes. If anything, the only good bit about this is that it might actually focus our minds on thinking that we actually should do a film.

"It’s not going to be a different version of Doctor Who with two different Doctors at the same time. Of course not, we’re not that silly. That would be no way to run a franchise, would it? I’d love it to happen, but that version you heard was just a guy getting cornered on the red carpet and not really being on-message.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-12-20/steven-moffat-hints-at-multiple-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-specials

I wonder what it is they've got planned for the anniversary? Are we going to see Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Christopher Ecclestone, even David Tennant come back? Perhaps Davros too? Maybe even Rassilon! That'd be great, he didn't get enough screen time.

Moffat Teases 50th Anniversary and Movie

http://www.radiotime...ersary-specials

I wonder what it is they've got planned for the anniversary? Are we going to see Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Christopher Ecclestone, even David Tennant come back? Perhaps Davros too? Maybe even Rassilon! That'd be great, he didn't get enough screen time.

The last multiple Doctors episodes Tom Baker looked like a fat pimp! biggrin.png

Really? No one's going to post about the Doctor Who Christmas Special? Fine then, I'll do it =P

I saw The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe last night, and even just the title was enough to give me a good idea as to how it would pan out - cheesy, glurgy, with a fantasy element and a warm fuzzy ending. Which is pretty much exactly how it did play out.

I liked the ambience of the thing, set during WWII with a wartorn family of refugees to the countryside. I thought the mother was a brilliant character. To me, her performance far outshone the two children. The Doctor was pretty great too - seriously, can someone arrange for that man to redecorate my house? Because... well... "I know." Simply fantastic.

So yes, the set-up was great, the ambiance was great, and the story? Well. The story was good. It wasn't fantastic; it of course borrowed heavily from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. To be expected. The forest was pretty cool, though. The way the trees did what they did.

I particularly liked the wooden king and queen. It was kind of eerie but also kind of moving and beautiful. The idea of the trees growing buildings and even humanoid creatures was really kind of neat.

I also thought the mum was great when she turned the tables on the harvesters and held them hostage, and how she then took control of their machine to get back to her kids.

The message about female strength in nurturing and protecting was pretty nice too, if laid on a little thick.

And the penultimate scene was incredibly moving. I was near tears as she was telling her kids how their father died.

I'm a little torn on the ending, however.

It was so damn predictable. Yes, it was a very happy ending - the kids got their dad back and all was well. I suppose that Christmas stories ought to have happy endings, yet it seemed kind of contrived. So many children lost their parents in the war. It would have been a wonderful testament to the mother's strength if she'd had to carry on alone... Perhaps the magic could simply have been in her being able to see his last moments and how much he loved her and the kids. I'm not sure that bringing him back was the best thing to do, but then I'm a sucker for heart-breaky endings over glurgy ones.

It was nice to see the Doctor finally go back to Amy and Rory, however. That was a cute little scene.

So, yeah, those are my views on it. Anyone else?

It wasn't a bad episode by any means, though it wasn't terribly amazing either. Still, Matt Smith made even an "average" episode very watchable - Claire Skinner and particularly the Yellowsuits were good too, and the child actors were remarkably tolerable. Smith did the heavy lifting though, to his credit.

I'd love to see more of Bill Bailey and the Yellowsuits, and since Alexander Armstrong had a role in this episode (as the WW2 pilot and dad, which was a delicious casting choice considering

), perhaps Ben Miller will see his way into a future one?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm a bit late here but just wanted to say that I loved 'The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe'. I thought it was one of the best Christmas specials so far, if not the best. It was everything a Christmas episode should be.

Also I found the episode to be very well paced, it didn't seem like an hour when we reached the end.

Oh and: Androzani Major! A surprising (and very welcome) reference.

I'm the only one here with a negative opinion on the Christmas Special? Well, this is new.

I liked the beginning and the end bits, basically, but the plot inside the alien world could have been absolutely anything. If you're going to do a story about a lady who's husband is presumed dead and whose children get in danger, make a plot that has something to do with that. I didn't give a flying crap about the trees, and that's bad storytelling.

Also, Bill Bailey was completely wasted. 5 minutes? Seriously?

Here's the thing I don't get.

So, like, these alien trees can separate their souls from their bodies and apparently survive just fine like that, since they scatter among the stars or whatever at the end of the episode. They were safe from the acid rain outside of their bodies, I assume, so why did they need to grow a timeship at all? Did they grow new bodies after they dispersed at the end, and they were just worried that they'd be melted again if they tried it in the future? Also: I still have no idea why their timeship specifically required a pilot with a vagina. I'd maybe understand if it needed a parent specifically, but apparently little girls are nearly as good. Huh?

So yeah, the whole thing was sort of lousy aside from Bill Bailey and some of the Doctor's antics at the beginning. I did like the concept of an episode where the main threat the Doctor faces is a bunch of idiot loggers and some terrible luck instead of an evil mastermind and the idea of a Narnia-esque episode was pretty decent as well, but they didn't fit together very well and neither really had time to realize its full potential. It's a pity, too, since last year's Christmas special was surprisingly good.

Edited by Octarine

Also: I still have no idea why their timeship specifically required a pilot with a vagina. I'd maybe understand if it needed a parent specifically, but apparently little girls are nearly as good. Huh?

• 1 month later...

So a few days ago there was the rather surprising news that there is to be a Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover comic:

http://www.digitalsp...r-revealed.html

The comic will feature the 11th Doctor, Amy and Rory meeting Captain Picard and the Star Trek TNG crew.

Further info released has revealed that the Doctor and co will be teaming up with the Enterprise crew to take on a Cyberman/Borg alliance.

IDW Publishing have announced the first official cross-over between the Doctor Who and Star Trek franchises, with the publication of comic book Assimilation² in May.

The story, by Star Trek Infestation authors Scott and David Tipton with Doctor Who author Tony Lee, will feature the Next Generation crew meet up with the Eleventh Doctor as the universe is threatened by a Borg/Cyberman alliance.

The eight issue series has been produced in conjunction with BBC Worldwide Consumer Products (Americas) and CBS Consumer Products, with the latter's Executive Vice President and General Manager Liz Kalodner saying: "by joining these two sci-fi powerhouses, fans will be taken on the ultimate adventure through time and space."

http://www.doctorwho...nce-doctor.html

Personally I think this is awesome idea and I'm glad they did it with Star Trek TNG as imo its by far the best Trek series.

Some pics:

assimilation2.jpg

comics_dr_who_star_trek.jpg

How the fuck does one pre-order that!

I know people are going to moan about cross-overs, but I like them! I know theres been some howlers, but being the owner of ones like Superman & Spiderman, Spiderman & Batman and even Batman & The Incredible Hulk I'm quite positive about them.

The last time I saw a Star Trek cross-over was one adptly entitled Star Trek & The X-men, ended up being a bit of a cult hit.

Definately picking this one up.

So a few days ago there was the rather surprising news that there is to be a Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover comic:

http://www.digitalsp...r-revealed.html

The comic will feature the 11th Doctor, Amy and Rory meeting Captain Picard and the Star Trek TNG crew.

Further info released has revealed that the Doctor and co will be teaming up with the Enterprise crew to take on a Cyberman/Borg alliance.

http://www.doctorwho...nce-doctor.html

Personally I think this is awesome idea and I'm glad they did it with Star Trek TNG as imo its by far the best Trek series.

Some pics:

assimilation2.jpg

comics_dr_who_star_trek.jpg

I'm not a fan of Star Trek, but I know a good idea for a crossover when I see one :V

Series 7 Stuff!

316580.jpg

- 14 episodes (including Christmas Special)

- Mark Williams, Rupert Graves and David Bradley guest-starring.

It actually feels really nice to see the trio all back together again. :wub:

Also fuck yeah, Rupert Graves was always really good in Garrow's Law, he should be good in this too.

You find the nicest surprises floating around the Internet sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Series 7 Stuff!

316580.jpg

- 14 episodes (including Christmas Special)

- Mark Williams, Rupert Graves and David Bradley guest-starring.

It actually feels really nice to see the trio all back together again. wub.png

Also fuck yeah, Rupert Graves was always really good in Garrow's Law, he should be good in this too.

I'm also aware that Matt Smith is the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car tomorrow night on Top Gear so there may be a few tidbits about Series 7 that get mentioned...

Great to see the cast back together again for the next series! Is there any word on when the next series starts airing on BBC?

It'll be right around October/November this year, and thanks to the BBC wanting to cater to ridiculous US TV scheduling, there will be a Christmas break...

The US would break for christmas even if we didn't. So they'd torrent the episodes every Saturday/Sunday

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll be right around October/November this year, and thanks to the BBC wanting to cater to ridiculous US TV scheduling, there will be a Christmas break...

I don't understand why they want to follow our TV scheduling. As great as it is for BBC America to show the newest episode the same day it airs in the UK, it doesn't make sense for BBC to follow our Christmas breaking schedule when there would be many ways for people to see the newest episode if the UK airings didn't break for Christmas.

Edited by Kevin