Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

If I was still into "fanon" I'd be bouncing off the walls with how much these revelations give me to work with. For now I'm just a little bummed that these meetings happened off-screen. In Tangle's case it's easy enough to imagine something like IDW happened after Forces, but we know for a fact nothing like Sonic Boom could ever happen in the main universe, so how do they know who Sticks is? Did they meet Lyric too?

If a dummied out financial sink like Sonic Boom is allowed to be canon it just makes me wonder what's stopping everything else. Sega isn't promoting Satam or Fleetway anymore, sure, but they weren't as actively detrimental to the company as the Boom brand. That line is so insane to me after they went scorched earth on Shadow and Unleashed, that they'd allow a shoutout to an even more damaging product. Even those batshit insane movies actually contribute revenue and awareness. If this game does better than the average Sonic game at all it'll be because of those. Can we get a Tom shout out next? A Rachel cameo? I think those characters are more than pulling their weight.

I'm guessing the main reason this was set up was so that cross promo in stuff like Sonic Racing and the mobile game would be easy while finally giving IDW Sonic some additional wiggle room. I'm sure whatever Sonic Prime introduces will be on the table too now. Great news for the next spinoff and the next major comic arc, but it's not like there's a new Boom project to promote. Did Sonic Team just forget that character isn't one of theirs?

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I don't think IDW references are a problem, that comic series litteraly started as an epilogue to Sonic Forces after all. It was meant to be a sidebranch to the main series right out of the gate (And Sonic Prime seems to do the same thing, so I guess references to that show are fair game too.)

Sonic Boom on the other hand, was very much meant to be it's own stand alone universe, so that's harder to reconcile.
But yeah, I REALLY doubt we'll ever get any specific backstory on what's going on with the main series incarnation of Sticks, Sonic Team can barely be bothered to do anything with the main 4 characters, let alone the side characters, let alone the really really really side characters. We'll just have to shrug and roll with it.

Perhaps Ian Flynn was testing the waters if he can resurrect Sticks for a later IDW adventure or something.
Would be interesting to see an earlier draft of his script and see him reference litteraly every single Sonic character in it's entire history, just to see which ones get the Sega censorship axe and which don't.
Guess we need to check if there's a hidden references to Sally Acorn, Sonic's Siblings or Chris Thorndyke somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not really "an issue". Just something I'm thinking about. Anything that gets us closer to a Surge boss battle is a net positive.

Hold up I just came up with an issue.

Spoiler

This Eggman and SAGE subplot was already silly in the context of the Belle situation being similar and having the opposite outcome. It's extra strange if they actually both happened in the same universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

For me, there is no problem with Sticks the Badger since :

- She has a profile on Sonic Channel
- She was drawn several times by Yuji Uekawa on Sonic Channel

- She even appeared in non SONIC BOOM game(s)

In fact, I consider her to exist in Sonic Team's continuity but we never saw her in any adventure yet!!...
Her background, according to her biography, liks her to Amy and wild life!!...

For Tangle, it's probably the same!!...
As far as videogames are concerned, Tangle only exists in SPEED BATTLE and DASH!!...
For SPEED BATTLE, I consider the game telling the story of the training of the Replicas before Eggman took over the planet : the characters are not the real characters but Replicas created by the Phantom Ruby (prototypes or not) since they appear and disappear in red cubes at the beginning and end of each race, so Tangle(s) is (are) not the real one but a copy from a Tangle living anywhere (in the dimension we all know and love or other dimensions like for instance the IDW one)!!...

• Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If I was still into "fanon" I'd be bouncing off the walls with how much these revelations give me to work with. For now I'm just a little bummed that these meetings happened off-screen. In Tangle's case it's easy enough to imagine something like IDW happened after Forces, but we know for a fact nothing like Sonic Boom could ever happen in the main universe, so how do they know who Sticks is? Did they meet Lyric too?

If a dummied out financial sink like Sonic Boom is allowed to be canon it just makes me wonder what's stopping everything else. Sega isn't promoting Satam or Fleetway anymore, sure, but they weren't as actively detrimental to the company as the Boom brand. That line is so insane to me after they went scorched earth on Shadow and Unleashed, that they'd allow a shoutout to an even more damaging product. Even those batshit insane movies actually contribute revenue and awareness. If this game does better than the average Sonic game at all it'll be because of those. Can we get a Tom shout out next? A Rachel cameo? I think those characters are more than pulling their weight.

I'm guessing the main reason this was set up was so that cross promo in stuff like Sonic Racing and the mobile game would be easy while finally giving IDW Sonic some additional wiggle room. I'm sure whatever Sonic Prime introduces will be on the table too now. Great news for the next spinoff and the next major comic arc, but it's not like there's a new Boom project to promote. Did Sonic Team just forget that character isn't one of theirs?

Considering Sticks appeared in the Olympic games at one point, I say they consider her theirs. As for when the group may have met Sticks in-universe, it's hard to say at the moment. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sticks being in Modern Sonic canon probably wasn't intentional. She just wandered into Sonic Team's offices one day and nobody's been able to successfully remove her.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Spoiler

image.png 

This has Super Mario RPG "I'm letting you join the Koopa Troop, not teaming up with you, Mario!" vibes. I dig it.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

It's not really "an issue". Just something I'm thinking about. Anything that gets us closer to a Surge boss battle is a net positive.

Hold up I just came up with an issue.

Reveal hidden contents

This Eggman and SAGE subplot was already silly in the context of the Belle situation being similar and having the opposite outcome. It's extra strange if they actually both happened in the same universe.

Yea I was kind of chuckling how they just kind of stepped on the comics toes here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Did you know you can apparently cancel the homing attack with the boost?

You can cancel it with anything. 

Well it is good to hear that the game is around 20 hours then! The amborgo lifts tomorrow right? Curious about the scores. I am not sure if i should get this on Switch or the PS4, i think i will check the reviews on the switch to decide.

Anyone playing this on an actual switch right now? AFAIK there is the Switch rom which people use Yuzu to play, but i am not sure if somebody already got their hands on an actual switch version. If so, how does it play? Would love to play this thing on Switch for the portability and it looks suited to it, also i have housemates and can't use the TV all the time.

So...apparently there's rolling physics in Cyberspace 2D....

But you have to let go of the left analog stick??? Jesus fuck

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

So, it's like Sonic 1...and the Adventure games.

The fuck kind of version of Sonic 1 are you playing where holding the left stick while rolling down a hill cancels all momentum. It only does that while running. 

My opinion about the game may change because I've only player for a few days, but even though I'm more positive than negative about It, there are some negative aspects I can't get over:

- I don't think Frontiers' story is the best in the séries. The dialogue is Far superior than anything from the meta-era, however,most cutscenes still consist of the caracteres starting still and talking. There aren't any CGI cutscenes, too. There are some really cool action moments, but Unleadhed, Black Knight and a few others are still superior in this aspect

- Cyberspace music is great, but it's so disconnected to the level aesthetics that feels generic. The whole cyberspace presentations is só weak... There are some good and new level designs. There are also some levels that reuses old layouts but adding more elements. However, the weak presentation + the awful physics ruined cyberspace for me

- Sonic Unleadhed, Black Knight, Colors and tones of other 3D games are better than Frontiers in terms of presentation. They have more visual variety, unique environments and the music is more memorable

- Sonic controls wery well in the open-zones, but most platform challengers consist of 2D sections or very linear 3D sequences that almost feels like they are 2D, but with a 3D camera. I wish the platforming were more open and It could have more verticality

Well, it's a step in the right direction, and I'm optimistic for the future of the 3D games, but I've waited so long for a 3D game that were at least at the same level of Unleadhed and Frontiers is not this game yet. How long will It take? I think I won't bê alive to see that happening

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

Well, it's a step in the right direction, and I'm optimistic for the future of the 3D games, but I've waited so long for a 3D game that were at least at the same level of Unleadhed and Frontiers is not this game yet. How long will It take? I think I won't bê alive to see that happening

It depends entirely on whether or not Sonic Team and SEGA stick with the mindset of Frontiers being the framework of the next decade of games. I'm hoping they don't abandon the formula, but with them you never know.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

It depends entirely on whether or not Sonic Team and SEGA stick with the mindset of Frontiers being the framework of the next decade of games. I'm hoping they don't abandon the formula, but with them you never know.

Maybe If Fronteirs succed, the sequel could be better. The same way Sonic Movie 2 was way better than the first onde, but I hope it doesn't take 5 years to come out

• Thumbs Up 2

Sage can work pretty well in the dynamic of belle in the comics with metal as well. Belle is the "black sheep" of the family where Sage and Metal or loyal to eggman belle wants him to be mr tinker or at least good again. This can lead to them butting heads but not fully trying to kill each other such as Metal Slapping belle out the way. He could easily have just went through her.

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt the next Sonic game will take 5 years to come out. In order to mimic that, it would have to parallel Frontiers' development in

1. attempting a radically new game format that requires the game to be playtested constantly to achieve a relatively safe critical reception

2. constantly rebuilding or altering itself as a result of negative feedback each time, in order to address said criticism

There's a third reason with SEGA higher ups giving this game the leeway to achieve quality standards, but I'm not sure whether that will be an irregularity itself, given their statements on focusing on quality over quantity now. Outside of that though, if the game after Frontiers is building off of the base formula they've built for Frontiers, then that means they already have the template ready to go. Probably the main thing that would cause another game to be in development just as long is if they attempted the scope of games much larger imo

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, Sonic Team, like many developers the world over, were impacted heavily by the COVID-19 Pandemic as well, which wound've impacted the development time as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it’s confirmed at this point, no Crush 40? Lame. I’m not going to act like they’ve been abandoned or forgotten - they’ve had a noticeable presence over the last 5 years - but they are a legacy resource that should be utilized, at least on the tertiary end with a cover or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

seems like they've been banished from being in the mainline games, i wish we got a cover of "I'm Here" though, that would have been sick

20 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I'd be cautious about this "unification". I think I heard that the reference to Sticks is only in the English script, so it could be more that Flynn's slipping in nods when he can get away with it more than a functional unification of the continuities.

I think the Japanese script is more focused on introducing the universe to new players (which Japanese Sonic would have many),  and gets a bit more explaination heavy than the English script rather than referential. I forget where there was an interview with Kishimoto about this subject, but I do recall it being stated at the intent.

Casual references are not things you'd usually drop on new players. At least references to very obscure aspects to Sonic in a region very unfamiliar to him.