Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Then I have to assume she was cut content from the game, idk. Considering Islands 4 and 5 are labelled "World 1" in the files like Island, I guess they had to do some sort of cutting and repurposing of a lot of stuff, pink lady included.

• Thumbs Up 1

If she was meant for Frontiers I have to imagine she was cut very early, when their vision for the game was something very different, because I can't think of any natural way she could be involved in the game as it stands.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm closer to the opinion the "pink hair" is supposed to be closer to red, and a play on red herring as a result, but it'd be funny if her design was already queued up for another project immediately after Frontiers, considering how long this game has been in development

Outside of that I don't see what place she would have had in Frontiers to begin with? She could have been a scrapped concept art of SAGE, but idk, there isn't much room for human characters in the premise to begin with

She looked like an archeologist. It seemed like a given to me that she'd be investigating the ruins.

Just more evidence that a lot was left on the cutting room floor, because I'm not sure how fucked your game has to be to cut something simple like that out.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure people will ask Ian about her almost immediately after it comes out; if it's a #knowingsmile moment, then there's more to it, but idk if he'd be able to divulge unreleased content either. He seemed to be pretty invested in the discussion around her either way, so it's odd

• Thumbs Up 2

I came to this thread to ask one question, so tell me, without giving any spoilers, who does Sage's English voice?

34 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I came to this thread to ask one question, so tell me, without giving any spoilers, who does Sage's English voice?

Only English VA in the credits that's not a regular is a Ryan Bartley, so this might be her.

• Thumbs Up 4

Cameo, minor spoiler:

Spoiler

image.png

The Deadly Six are officially in Frontiers. Now it's a work of art.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Only English VA in the credits that's not a regular is a Ryan Bartley, so this might be her.

That's Rei Ayanami's VA in the Netflix Dub of Evangelion,  it's no coincidence that Sage's Japanese and English VA both voiced Rei. The Eva influence in this game is blatant

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

So uh...does this mean Tangle and the IDW comics are canon to the games or there's a Tangle (Game) and Tangle (IDW) now.

Okay I was not hot on the idea of Sticks coming back but IDW CHARACTERS?!?!

Sega really does want Sonic to be a unified brand after all, wow

• Thumbs Up 2

I can buy IDW being canon since it picks up right after Forces and references events from the games plenty of times. Nice to see a solid confirmation that it's all one universe.

• Thumbs Up 3

31 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Okay I was not hot on the idea of Sticks coming back but IDW CHARACTERS?!?!

Sega really does want Sonic to be a unified brand after all, wow

Now all we need is a Movie universe merge and it'll truly be unified 😛 

Never in my live I've played a game where a final boss/level or ending is locked to a difficulty setting. Maybe I just haven't played that many bideo games in my life after all. Take that, mom.

8 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Now all we need is a Movie universe merge and it'll truly be unified 😛 

Pretty sure Sonic says "I wonder what Donut Lord is up to right now" some times in Frontiers.

/jk.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

So uh...does this mean Tangle and the IDW comics are canon to the games or there's a Tangle (Game) and Tangle (IDW) now.

I mean, Iizuka did say that the big plan was to completely unify all of the main Sonic universes into the game one with Frontiers and Prime being the start and the movies being the exception as their own thing. (Though references to it like the electric blue boost are fair game)

But man. He REALLY meant it. I wonder who else we might see in the future?

I'd be cautious about this "unification". I think I heard that the reference to Sticks is only in the English script, so it could be more that Flynn's slipping in nods when he can get away with it more than a functional unification of the continuities.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm in the last Island now. I took 23h to get here, so It was accurate when they said the story campaign would take 20h to 30h to bem finished.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the platforming sections of Rhea Island, specially because there are some parkour sections that are not automated. I wish there are more platforming like that in the other Islands.

I think this final act of the game could be called "last story" instead of being presented like they are different Islands. I think the game is long enough the way It is, but I jeep my opinion that the marketing was misleading.

It's not the best 3D game, but it's really good. Finally we have good Boss battles in a 3D Sonic game...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Koco spoilers:

Hide contents

So did we ever find out what the deal is with their "rock" bodies? Are they just recordings of the beings they were before, endlessly playing on loop to relive their lives they lost?

Spoiler

There's a conversation with Sage on Ouranos Island where Sonic speculates basically the same thing. The rock bodies were also originally "lucky charms" and not designed to be able to store memories, according to Sage.

Regarding the "three islands" discourse, I just wanted to make it clear that while the last island has the same biomes as Kronos, it does actually have unique topography and level design, so it's closer to four islands or 3.5 or something. Or maybe 4.2, if you want to be generous and include the overworld platforming you do on "Rhea Island".

Spoiler

I really don't know why they felt the need to split it into its own "island", rather than just giving you access to all of Kronos and making you return there for the story. Even if you want to ignore the whole "complete challenges to cover the islands in grind rails and platforms" thing, the uncovering of Chaos Island's boss arena proves that the game supports big additions happening to the same map, so I think they could have implemented the towers of "Rhea Island" rising on a single Kronos Island map. I actually just went and checked for the hell of it, and you can't even see the towers of Rhea if you return to Kronos.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I'd be cautious about this "unification". I think I heard that the reference to Sticks is only in the English script, so it could be more that Flynn's slipping in nods when he can get away with it more than a functional unification of the continuities.

Which I'm all for it in the event they wish to introduce these characters into the game's proper really. 

I am all in for IDW being canon now and I am freaking loving it. Thank you Ian and thank you Sega. Also happy Sage is ok and hopefully we can see her in the future and maybe hell maybe down the line in the comics. (but a bit down the line after the next two stories at least without rushing her in*

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder how far mods can go with this game.

I'm sure that this game will sell really well, so I'm hoping that modding is prominent with this game. I don't know if this is possible, but I'd love if a mod could edit some of the visuals of this game, like giving Chaos a red sky to help it really feel sinister, or making Rhea or Uranus have snowy textures while replacing rain effects with snow. Since it all looks reused, idk if that'd be possible and exclusive to one island and not Kronos, not to mention how much of an undertaking that'd be.

IDK, I'm just seeing all these massive visual overhauls that Generations and even Unleashed got through mods and it gives me hope that fans can at least accommodate for Sega's fuckups... again. It looks like someone already started modding a replacement for Sonic, damn ya'll are quick. 

btw I have to ask, are there any significant underwater sections in this game, where you have to spend a significant amount of time underwater? It looks like they programmed Sonic to move slightly differently underwater and they provided an air meter, it'd be a waste to not use that in some way. 

54 minutes ago, McGroose said:

are there any significant underwater sections in this game, where you have to spend a significant amount of time underwater?

There's not. There are a few places with water deep enough to drown in - a lake and parts of the river near waterfalls on Kronos/Rhea, an oasis and a pool with ruins that you drain as part of a story quest on Ares, and hot springs on Chaos come to mind - but there's nothing to ever really do underwater. The aforementioned draining quest does not need you to go into the water at all to do it, and Knuckles actively advises against doing so because he can't save you.

Spoiler

There's one enemy type late-game which is like a floating water balloon that absorbs you and tries to drown you. You have to bounce inside it until it breaks with the multi-stomp.

Oh, and I just remembered another thing: it's not enough to satisfy those looking for a whole snow/ice-themed Island, but Chaos actually does have a snowy mountain in addition to the volcano. The ice is slippery, but ironically easier to climb on than the rocky surfaces you're hardcoded to slip down to avoid going out of bounds; the volcano itself is the most hilarious example of this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, that was my prediction too. Grass wasteland, sand wasteland, snow wasteland and lava wasteland.
Yet again, Sega proved my bitter cynical take wrong.
Yet again by being even worse, now just not having a 4th theme at all.
Not that it really matters. Either way would have been boring, now at least I have something to laugh at.

Oh well, the boss fights look cool, so at least that's one thing to look forward to.

Sticks the badger is now canon? So, is that her Sonic Boom incarnation, with Sonic Boom now somehow being part of main Sonic's reality, or are the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games now canon?
Can I finally call the 6 year old Cream a 6 time Olympic champion without having to worry about some spoilsport whining that these don't count?

Kinda fun role reversal, first Shadow is dropped into Sonic Boom with absolutely no context to who he is within within that  universe, and now Sticks returns the favor and pops up in the main series universe with no context to what she is in that world. The only lucky civilian who was allowed to join in the olympics without being friends with either Mario or Sonic I guess.
Stick's greatest achievement in the Olympics no other person could: beat Sonic and Mario's nepotism.

• Thumbs Up 2