Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

8 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Sticks being in Modern Sonic canon probably wasn't intentional. She just wandered into Sonic Team's offices one day and nobody's been able to successfully remove her.

Pretty in character. 

The best thing about Frontiers is that it allowed me to truly get over Infinite by giving us a theme in almost the exact same vein, completely divorced from bad storytelling

• Thumbs Up 1

Third boss video is up

Spoiler

image.png.7f78ea4290e299dee2fcf124dc347258.png

Years later, the fantasy of Super Sonic using a big red sword is now official, crazy shit.

10 hours ago, The Deleter said:

The best thing about Frontiers is that it allowed me to truly get over Infinite by giving us a theme in almost the exact same vein, completely divorced from bad storytelling

It's gone

I did have some minor hope of a copy showing up early today on my doorstep (as has been the given with my pre-orders so far), but the product order status only changed to "shipped" this morning. Gutted.

That gutted feeling solidifies my other "concern"... which is that I crossed the threshold into hype over the weekend. I've been picky with some of the spoilers on this thread as I don't want to know too much... but from what I have watched or gathered out of curiosity, I'm completely sold on the overall product now. Sonic Team shouldn't be too dismayed by such spoilers out in the wild, as I think they could actually end up being a key selling point for many players.

Somehow it's always the Sonic games... no other gaming IP quite hits me the same way before a release - and it's not like Sonic has a history of quality either.

I'd say that with this game and everything shown of it so far we are in the final processes of leaving the "budget" era of Sonic (2015 - 2022). Now it's about: If it needs to look/be good, then it's going to look/be good to the best (whatever they think it is) of one's abilities.

That's how it feels to me, anyway.

Even for something that is dead as Boom; I don't remember it getting something like its "The Complete Series" cover (the one by Adam Bryce Thomas) even at the peak of its acknowledgement. Like, compare it to every other DVD/BD cover it got prior.

So I keep turning the story over in my head. Mostly just being baffled at how terrible almost every aspect of it is. But I've kinda got an inkling of a possibility of what it all might mean, and I may be wildly off base, but...

Did we just witness the end of Modern Sonic?

They have said they want this to be a turning point for the series, the start of a new era. I had assumed this was mostly about the new gameplay direction. But certain things in the story feel like they're trying to come together for a sense of finality.

Spoiler

The game tries to present the captured characters as reaching some level of actualization, after some navel gazing and pep talks. Amy wants to spread love, Tails is growing up and becoming independent, Knuckles...well he'll be back to his island but he's got friends I guess. And it's in no way unusual for the characters to go their separate ways at the end of a Sonic game, but I'm not sure it's ever felt quite so deliberate, with them all having reasons to go off on their own, as opposed to Sonic just running off and everyone else presumably just going back to doing whatever they do when a game isn't happening.

And on the way there there are so. Many. Namedrops. This game may make more references than Generations, the game entirely about reliving the history of the series. If there's the slightest opportunity to name a character, place, group, or event, it's taken, whether it's relevant to the situation or not. Sometimes with jpeg flashbacks to be sure you really remember it. At first I assumed this was just Flynn being Flynn, but. We also have cyberspace, 3 reused level themes and many reused level designs, barely acknowledged by the narrative. Why is the game spending so much time in Sonic's past when it has nothing to do with what's going on? Is it really just the usual nostalgia pandering?

And then there's the moon-sized elephant in the room. Man if you thought the Deadly Six and Infinite were terrible villains, try a pretentious, edgy, evil moon. It wants to kill everything because it's evil. That's it. Cool story. But something that blunt has to have a metaphorical angle, right? It can't just be that stupid, it has to represent something, right? Well, if you've missed it, it's called The End. The end of the chaos aliens and countless others, sure, that's the literal meaning. The end of the game, yeah, a bit of a metaphor. But if you're going to be that pretentious, is that all you shoot for? What if this really is The End? Where do you go after killing elemental evil, a thing that is (or at least considers itself to be) far beyond all the machines, monsters, and gods you've fought before? What if the game was intended to give the main characters a final sendoff and some degree of closure? What if this was one last walk down memory lane before we truly move on from it? Maybe it's more than a coincidence that this game tries to tie itself back to Sonic Adventure, the first Modern Sonic game. We've closed the loop, and next time is something new.

...maybe. Maybe we'll get a reboot and start everything fresh. Or maybe we'll get a time skip and see what everyone turned into after a couple years off on their own. Or maybe this game('s story) will be received so poorly that they'll bury any such plans. Or maybe the knockoff Ikaruga hacking minigame repurposed into a hard-mode-only final boss fight with an evil moon desperately trying to be a Toby Fox game simply broke my fragile grasp on sanity and none of what I've said makes sense.

Guess we'll find out in about 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

So I keep turning the story over in my head. Mostly just being baffled at how terrible almost every aspect of it is. But I've kinda got an inkling of a possibility of what it all might mean, and I may be wildly off base, but...

They have said they want this to be a turning point for the series, the start of a new era. I had assumed this was mostly about the new gameplay direction. But certain things in the story feel like they're trying to come together for a sense of finality.

Hide contents

The game tries to present the captured characters as reaching some level of actualization, after some navel gazing and pep talks. Amy wants to spread love, Tails is growing up and becoming independent, Knuckles...well he'll be back to his island but he's got friends I guess. And it's in no way unusual for the characters to go their separate ways at the end of a Sonic game, but I'm not sure it's ever felt quite so deliberate, with them all having reasons to go off on their own, as opposed to Sonic just running off and everyone else presumably just going back to doing whatever they do when a game isn't happening.

And on the way there there are so. Many. Namedrops. This game may make more references than Generations, the game entirely about reliving the history of the series. If there's the slightest opportunity to name a character, place, group, or event, it's taken, whether it's relevant to the situation or not. Sometimes with jpeg flashbacks to be sure you really remember it. At first I assumed this was just Flynn being Flynn, but. We also have cyberspace, 3 reused level themes and many reused level designs, barely acknowledged by the narrative. Why is the game spending so much time in Sonic's past when it has nothing to do with what's going on? Is it really just the usual nostalgia pandering?

And then there's the moon-sized elephant in the room. Man if you thought the Deadly Six and Infinite were terrible villains, try a pretentious, edgy, evil moon. It wants to kill everything because it's evil. That's it. Cool story. But something that blunt has to have a metaphorical angle, right? It can't just be that stupid, it has to represent something, right? Well, if you've missed it, it's called The End. The end of the chaos aliens and countless others, sure, that's the literal meaning. The end of the game, yeah, a bit of a metaphor. But if you're going to be that pretentious, is that all you shoot for? What if this really is The End? Where do you go after killing elemental evil, a thing that is (or at least considers itself to be) far beyond all the machines, monsters, and gods you've fought before? What if the game was intended to give the main characters a final sendoff and some degree of closure? What if this was one last walk down memory lane before we truly move on from it? Maybe it's more than a coincidence that this game tries to tie itself back to Sonic Adventure, the first Modern Sonic game. We've closed the loop, and next time is something new.

...maybe. Maybe we'll get a reboot and start everything fresh. Or maybe we'll get a time skip and see what everyone turned into after a couple years off on their own. Or maybe this game('s story) will be received so poorly that they'll bury any such plans. Or maybe the knockoff Ikaruga hacking minigame repurposed into a hard-mode-only final boss fight with an evil moon desperately trying to be a Toby Fox game simply broke my fragile grasp on sanity and none of what I've said makes sense.

Ok......That's some intense feelings. 

16 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Hide contents

That would make this game very interesting to go back to if future games followed through on that.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Hide contents

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think you're really overthinking everything here. This isn't some sort of conclusion of "Modern Sonic". It's just a way to confirm that everything is unified. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Do you mean this in more of an "end of an era"/new direction for these characters way, or like a full-scale continuity reboot, starting everything over from scratch? 

I could see the former. But I feel like officially resetting everything wouldn't be a very popular decision.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Do you mean this in more of an "end of an era"/new direction for these characters way, or like a full-scale continuity reboot, starting everything over from scratch? 

I could see the former. But I feel like officially resetting everything wouldn't be a very popular decision.

For that to happen, they would have to start from scratch here, which isn't really the case here as far as I am aware. 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Could be either, if I'm even on the right track at all. I don't think the game gives much indication of what might be next, and I imagine they'd want to leave their options open. Personally I'd be willing to hear out a full reboot, but that's obviously a big risk and I don't think it's likely.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, feels like squandered potential to

Spoiler

give Eggman a daughter, opening up a whole new aspect of his character, and then just not follow up on that at all by restarting everything.

I agree it's probably not likely though.

I'm still expecting Sega to experiment with one of their main Sonic games being stylized after the Sonic Movies, character designs and all.

13 minutes ago, McGroose said:

I'm still expecting Sega to experiment with one of their main Sonic games being stylized after the Sonic Movies, character designs and all.

Well that'd make me happy...people who don't enjoy the movies not so much

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Well that'd make me happy...people who don't enjoy the movies not so much

A one-off or limited side series of movie tie-in games (like the Boom games but hopefully better) would be fine.

I just wouldn't want that replacing the main series or anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Could be either, if I'm even on the right track at all. I don't think the game gives much indication of what might be next, and I imagine they'd want to leave their options open. Personally I'd be willing to hear out a full reboot, but that's obviously a big risk and I don't think it's likely.

Now is a better time than any, given how things have panned out with the surprisingly successful movies.

Personally I wouldn't want to completely abandon continuity - merely remove the shit parts and focus on what was serviceable/good. I think it would work to the series' benefit for a slightly older cast of characters who are a little better defined.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

A one-off or limited side series of movie tie-in games (like the Boom games but hopefully better) would be fine.

I just wouldn't want that replacing the main series or anything. 

Yeah I agree. As much as I like the movies, I'll say they don't feel "Sonic" enough, imo, to replace Modern Sonic 

13 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Yeah I agree. As much as I like the movies, I'll say they don't feel "Sonic" enough, imo, to replace Modern Sonic 

Oh they feel like Sonic alright. Just a very different breed of Sonic however.