Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

13 hours ago, TakahashiAkira97 said:

And let's not forget that birthrates have been declining all over the world due to COVID.

Dude what the fuck

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 7

If it's 2008 again and people are pretending that X wasn't fucking garbage even before 4Kids got it, can someone help me buy up some launch model PS3s?

• Chuckle 3

21 hours ago, TakahashiAkira97 said:

Not having SEGA of Japan involved in Sonic Prime's production is surely a prime example of Asian Hate. Given that SEGA and their creations are primarily associated with Japanese pop culture, it saddens me that their native market is still being largely ignored.

Even if it's made by a western studio, SEGA of Japan is involved. Eitaro Toyoda basically review every Sonic story, and even if the Sonic Studio is in the USA, it's controlled by Iizuka. SoJ is involved even when they aren't the one making it. And they aren't ignoring their native market, if anything they're making big effort to target more the japanese market in the last few years.

The "western vs japanese" debate of Sonic have way less reason to exist nowadays than several years ago, IMO. Sonic Studio is SEGA USA but controlled by the Sonic Team, and except the movie nearly every Sonic Media are alignated with Sonic Team's vision of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

It is pretty different now than what it was even when Sonic Boom came out. Izuka himself even stated that project was largely handled by SoA and was the primary reason for the move from Japan to America so that SoJ could have more control. Even the first movie was a product of this original arrangement. So Prime is definitely looking to be more reeled in compared to those two projects.

10 hours ago, TakahashiAkira97 said:

I hope both parties continue learning to forsee the consequences for the controversial choices they have made. The more the feuds persist, the sooner they'll need another new mascot.

So are you planning on contributing to this thread at all or are you going to continue posting alarmist takes to keep derailing it? All this over there not being a trailer yet and you showing up to speak for creators you don't know, making ridiculous assumptions.

Enough already. This is your only warning, otherwise I'm skipping formalities and banning your account.

• Thumbs Up 7

So, if this show is supposed to be different multiverses, do you think that it will feature the past Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground and Sonic Satam since they are also owned by Wildbrain?

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, if this show is supposed to be different multiverses, do you think that it will feature the past Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground and Sonic Satam since they are also owned by Wildbrain?

Hope so, but I doubt it. All the concept art seems to be pointing "Sonic & friends, BUT THEY'RE [insert gimmick of the episode hereNOW!" being the main draw. And, with the only cartoons WildBrain actually holds the rights to seemingly being completley forgotten about by Sega, I wouldn't go in expecting it. Maybe if season 2 is greenlit, but it's a slim possibility even then.

Spoiler

I guess they could work IDW and X in, but the former's deconfirmed and the latter's apparently a legal nightmare already... somehow.

Maybe all the recent and upcoming multiverse crossovers will encourage them to bring in the old TV shows in the second season. Given their track record though.. probably not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually hope they won't do that too much.

I'm not that much against the "multiverse crossover" of recent time, but I think that only a few of the alternate Sonic universe would really bring interesting to the story, and I would be more interested in more "what-if" universe, changing some elements in these universe to create alternate relationship between the character.

• Thumbs Up 3

It would be cool to see, but I don't expect it since one thing they've been consistent about for over a decade now is keeping the old alternate continuities buried. They could randomly change their mind at some point but who knows if that's already happened or will happen in time for this show in particular to do something like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Hope so, but I doubt it. All the concept art seems to be pointing "Sonic & friends, BUT THEY'RE [insert gimmick of the episode hereNOW!" being the main draw. And, with the only cartoons WildBrain actually holds the rights to seemingly being completley forgotten about by Sega, I wouldn't go in expecting it. Maybe if season 2 is greenlit, but it's a slim possibility even then.

Hide contents

I guess they could work IDW and X in, but the former's deconfirmed and the latter's apparently a legal nightmare already... somehow.

The latter is most likely thanks to Ken Penders' legal battles of the late 2000s-early 2010s.

Ken Penders may not own the Freedom Fighters in any shape or form but SEGA's Sonic Team is simply not interested in revisiting a past they had hardly any involvement in. At best, A Sonic CD/Mania-esque setting could be visited.

I don't believe Wildbrain owns the shows anyway, they're a distributor. I even checked their website and none of those shows are mentioned in the catalog (though a promotional image for one of them with a blue-armed Sonic is on the site). The only hurdle is Sega, who does own them, and I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

What legal problems does Sonic X even have (if I'm reading KingMario's post correctly)? The show's been in circulation in one form of the other consistently for almost twenty years.

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I want the idea of Sonic visiting other continuities, it's certainly not something I'd want every episode. Kindof thing I think would only do occasionally. I do expect more standard fare for the rest of the show. Saying that, I feel like you could pay tribute to some other continuities without it actually being an official crossover. Like for Adventures you could have an episodic which utilisies that kind of '90s era comedy. You could pay tribute to Underground by meeting a Sonic in a band with siblings. Maybe do X by meeting Sonic and crew on a spaceship fighting aliens like Season 3 did. Kindof a nod and a wink to older continuities.

Feel like it would be a waste if we didn't get any crossovers whatsoever though. I mean personally I feel like it would be a wasted opportunity if we didn't touch some game stories in some way or another. I think doing a Boom crossover would make alost of sense considering it is the same voice crew still. And yeah, deep down, gosh darn it I want my IDW crossover even if they've declined the possibility for now.

I suppose step one of expectations is just hoping we see some secondary characters in general turn up in this.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

I suppose step one of expectations is just hoping we see some secondary characters in general turn up in this.

Thats my biggest fear at the moment. Quite frankly every character not named Sonic or Eggman could get pushed right off the stage with a set-up like this.

The way I see it, (and this is more or less hypothesizing from the concept images we have seen) each episode will likely follow a similar plot thread.

a. Sonic travels to alt universe.

b. Sonic meets alt versions of one or two of his friends

c. Sonic resolves any potential conflict that may arise between himself and alt friends - making them an ally 

d. Team up to resolve whatever Eggman shenanigans are threatening the current universe

e. Sonic goes home. Wash rinse repeat.

If the show is set up like this, I'd actually be very disappointed. Not only does it become overly formulaic very quickly - but it would effectively kill off any screen time for Sonic's friends. Even if every 3 episodes had an alternate revision of Tails to mess with, wouldn't it be a shame if the only screen times Tails(Prime) got was a sequence in every episode punching in coordinates to send Sonic away on another solo adventure? That'd suck.

I desperately hope that at least some of the episodes allow other Prime versions of the characters to contribute.

• Absolutely 4

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Thats my biggest fear at the moment. Quite frankly every character not named Sonic or Eggman could get pushed right off the stage with a set-up like this.

The way I see it, (and this is more or less hypothesizing from the concept images we have seen) each episode will likely follow a similar plot thread.

c. Sonic resolves any potential conflict that may arise between himself and alt friends - making them an ally 

d. Team up to resolve whatever Eggman shenanigans are threatening the current universe

If the show is set up like this, I'd actually be very disappointed. Not only does it become overly formulaic very quickly - but it would effectively kill off any screen time for Sonic's friends. Even if every 3 episodes had an alternate revision of Tails to mess with, wouldn't it be a shame if the only screen times Tails(Prime) got was a sequence in every episode punching in coordinates to send Sonic away on another solo adventure? That'd suck.

I desperately hope that at least some of the episodes allow other Prime versions of the characters to contribute.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that too. It doesn't help that this is a CGI show, in which (I presume anyway) that every character featured needs to have a model built for them. So it would make sense to do your story structure since they can just reuse models constantly with little modification thanks to the multiverse premise.

I sortof wonder if one idea would be that Sonic starts the show with no friends, or maybe just Tails, and winds up recruiting allies like Knuckles and Amy from alternate universes who become the core cast. That or they get introduced, then return in future episodes when the plot requires it. I dunno, it's hard not to ponder until the first trailer drops.

It'll be a damn shame if Blaze doesn't feature considering how much she'd be a natural fit for the show's premise. Not to mention Silver, I feel like you could just transplant his future into being another dimension as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

What legal problems does Sonic X even have (if I'm reading KingMario's post correctly)? The show's been in circulation in one form of the other consistently for almost twenty years.

At one point, there where legal issue with stuff from Sonic X appearing in the mainline Sonic Comics, according to Flynn. They're certainly solved since, but it was related to 4Kids having the exclusive rights about the show in the USA.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

At one point, there where legal issue with stuff from Sonic X appearing in the mainline Sonic Comics, according to Flynn. They're certainly solved since, but it was related to 4Kids having the exclusive rights about the show in the USA.

Ah that's right. I remember that's why it took so long for Cream to get imported to the Archie comic (she was included after the X comic wrapped) since she was tied to the X branding, same deal with Emerl. So it's all moot at this point; at most I can see the original characters not coming back and being in the same boat as the Freedom Fighters in that they could but won't use them.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Outside of the "core" characters, I'm not expecting much of a roster. Tails basically shows up in every major form of media regardless as Sonic's primary sidekick so he's likely.

They basically shove Knuckles into everything for the sake of popularity and they might want that movie brand recognition. 

Same deal with Shadow.

Amy is a bit less likely but female representation and all that.

Everyone else is honestly a toss up and depends entirely on the whims of the creators. While this type of setup lends itself to potential creative use of the cast, I have to start wondering just how well known creators even know these characters outside of the four I just outlined, and not just the cliff notes versions either.

I'm gonna be cynical and say the rest of the cast playing a major role is unlikely, making gracious cameos at best, if not being left out entirely. It just fits with how Sega have been marketing the brand as of late.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being a 3D animated show typically severely limits both locales and characters.

Though with a bit of luck, due to the similarities of all characters, it may be a little easier to incorporate a bigger than usual cast for this format.

Still, it's better to not hope for it due to reasons explained above.

• Thumbs Up 1