Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

44 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm hoping that SEGA doesn't have a tight hold over this series.  With the mandates they have for the characters now, the mandates would mess up the story lines for the characters.

I mean...they're not even that bad but this has been argued to death.

Edit: Dammit. That was not worth starting another page.

I guess I'll elaborate. Honestly to me half the "Mandates" feel like pretty basic guidelines that have been gravely blown out of proportion. 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Game Shadow is already the latter.

I was thinking more that his "universe" would be just one badly-animated and even-worse-written Dragon Ball/shonen spoof, presumably either animated like Jump Force (if it's 3D) or Flash (if it's 2D). Basically current Shadow, but in something so blatant that you'd think Toei would sue.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm hoping that SEGA doesn't have a tight hold over this series.  With the mandates they have for the characters now, the mandates would mess up the story lines for the characters.

Yeah, this. Iizuka's announcement suggesting that Sonic Team has creative control on this basically killed any hype I did have for it. I just hope they've learned from Forces, because if they haven't... hoo, boy.

I guess as long as the writers can work around SEGA's mandates (if Sonic Team actually does have creative control over this series) and they can still make a great series, then I'm okay with the mandates.  I'm just concerned about whether or not SEGA actually learned from their mistakes from the past games.  A lot of interviews from them are telling me that they haven't quite understood the flaws in the recent games.  By the way, did SEGA have creative control over the Sonic Boom cartoon series?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

By the way, did SEGA have creative control over the Sonic Boom cartoon series?

Don't think so, no. I'd doubt it be as self-aware as it was if Sega Japan had any say in it.

1 hour ago, KingMario05 said:

Don't think so, no. I'd doubt it be as self-aware as it was if Sega Japan had any say in it.

Oh okay. So, there might be a chance that Sonic Team might not be involved with the new series that much.  They would have to get SEGA of Japan involved too if that were the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any licensed product will have some creative control by SEGA. The general idea is that most companies watch over what companies do with their brand image so they don't destroy it. For example in Sonic Boom, the writers joke about allowing characters to have pants. That in itself is an element of creative control by SEGA in that there is still a rule that pants can not be worn. Or making sure characters stay in character behavior-wise. It would actually be more weird if SEGA did not have any control. However, with both the comic and TV shows, they allow the writers to come up with their own stories, scripts and ideas. SEGA just does overhead quality check. But anyone who uses their character for media has to abided by some rules so the series doesn't go off brand. 

The existence of mandates themselves are not a problem as it is par for the course for any licensed product. And most of the mandates are more just "This is how you keep this character in character" or "This is how Sonic's world works. Don't mess up the order by deviating from what we established.". In other words almost like a series bible for all intents and purposes (which is standard). Otherwise you would have some creators going off the rails.

The mandates are more a problem when they establish rules that contradict or grossly limit how characters have historically behaved, or other things here and there which dumb down the series (which are very problematic) . But overall, "mandates" is probably a harsher word for " series guidelines" in 90% of cases rather than a list of restrictions. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So is this the exact game contunity, or just something close like IDW?

I mean this could just mean that it's not like Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

So is this the exact game contunity, or just something close like IDW?

I mean this could just mean that it's not like Sonic Boom.

I do wonder about that.  When they said that the Sonic in this series is Modern Sonic, does that mean that they will continue off from Sonic Forces like the comics did or will they just tell their own stories set within Modern Sonic's continuity?

• Thumbs Up 2

At minimum, you can expect something that meshes well with the game universe for the sake of some consistency in image. This doesn't mean it's going to be connected to any game directly or not.

Whatever it means in terms of creativity limitation/scope and the likes, we can't say much for now.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm guessing this is just something meant to exist as a sort of "Gaiden" between game adventures. Overall it will exist in its own space, and outside of maybe cameos the show will not have much impact on the direction of the games. 

But it still takes place in a continuity concurrent with the games ala IDW. 

• Thumbs Up 4

A few years ago, I would have been SUPER excited for a Sonic show that takes place in the actual universe of the games. A show that unlike the games where stories are an afterthought can explore the canonical Sonic world and the canonical Sonic characters. "Oh joy!" is what I would have said a few years ago.

But now? Well after the anouncement that the current/post-Adventure Sonic universe is in fact not the same universe as that of the classic games... I just don't care about the Sonic universe and Sonic canon anymore. Like, when I'm watching the upcoming cartoon, then even thought the Sonic I'm looking at is supposedly the Sonic of the games, it is not the Sonic of my games, the ones that first made me fall in love with the franchise. No, that Sonic exists in a *sigh* "different dimension"...

I know this might seem nitpicky and obsessive and it probably is, but there you have it. The Sonic of Sonic Prime is not going to be the real Sonic, just like the Sonic of the video games from Adventure and onward is not the real Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I don't trust Sonic Team to be writing for the games. Them having control over an entire TELEVISION SHOW? Did... did everyone at Sega of America conveniently forget that Sonic Forces' story was absolute garbage, or something?

Legitimate concerns over the fact that the games universe hasn't been handled well lately, but honestly I'm so sick of third parties reinventing Sonic's universe over and over that the news still pleases me lol.

hopefully it'll feel like IDW where it's refreshing to see actual competent writers make nice stuff out of characters I haven't been charmed by since I was a kid thanks to the games' writing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

honestly I'm so sick of third parties reinventing Sonic's universe over and over that the news still pleases me lol.

I dunno. I'd kill for a good Sonic game from Insomniac, id or Capcom... especially if it starred my man Tails.

Besides, I really think the movie universe is gonna have a ton of potential for Adventure era fans. All you really need to do is change the UF to the US (and likewise for the nations of Unleashed), and boom, you're done.

8 minutes ago, Natie said:

...but honestly I'm so sick of third parties reinventing Sonic's universe over and over that the news still pleases me lol.

Only Sega can do that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm indifferent on whether they use the game universe or make their own since it won't tie into previous events anyway. I kinda lean toward latter if it gives them more wiggle room.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of whatever to be honest; we've had Sonic products that diverge widely from canon, and ones that adhere to it to the letter and all of them have had their varying levels of quality. So I'm just gonna judge the final product and see what I think. 

This news doesn't particularly affect me though, but it does make me feel like this isn't going to be as big of a departure from the norm as I initially thought. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm kind of whatever to be honest; we've had Sonic products that diverge widely from canon, and ones that adhere to it to the letter and all of them have had their varying levels of quality. So I'm just gonna judge the final product and see what I think. 

This news doesn't particularly affect me though, but it does make me feel like this isn't going to be as big of a departure from the norm as I initially thought. 

That's how I feel.  I rather just watch the show and see for myself if it's good or not, rather than base my opinions about the show before it got released. It might be better than what we expected, but again, that depends on what the show is like once we actually watch it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

They are now hiring 3D Animators, if you know anyone who'd fit the bill pass this on to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, so the brunt of animation starts in Sept I guess. That gives us an idea when the show will debut.

Well if they're pooling around the Sonic fandom, they won't be starved for talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

They are now hiring 3D Animators, if you know anyone who'd fit the bill pass this on to them.

I thought they already have animators for the series?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I thought they already have animators for the series?

They naturally would have those employees but seems like they need more. Also means production is starting to really ramp up.........ok I just clicked on the link and it implies animation hasn't started yet. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 8/12/2021 at 7:01 AM, jungle_penguins said:

They naturally would have those employees but seems like they need more. Also means production is starting to really ramp up.........ok I just clicked on the link and it implies animation hasn't started yet. 

Hmmm... I wonder when they will start animation for this show...

16 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Hmmm... I wonder when they will start animation for this show...

As the link to the actual application website in that tweet says says, the animator roles are set to begin work in September.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, antinomicTune said:

As the link to the actual application website in that tweet says says, the animator roles are set to begin work in September.

Cool! That means that we won't have much longer to wait for Sonic Prime to premiere!

• Thumbs Up 1