Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Being a consultant basically means he's there for fact checking and referencing. He wouldn't be directly involved in influencing the writing of future episodes, but writers can go to him if they have questions or want some advice.

Given that the series is about alternate dimensions, we could see a return of Zones and the Cosmic Interstate or whatever it's called.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Given that the series is about alternate dimensions, we could see a return of Zones and the Cosmic Interstate or whatever it's called.

Wasn't the Zones thing apart of Pender's run on the comics?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Wasn't the Zones thing apart of Pender's run on the comics?

Zones being dimensions was kept for the Archie reboot, so I guess it's still a viable option. I don't know if I can say the same for the Cosmic Interstate though. Even if it is still owned by Sega, the whole thing might've been erased when the multiverse collapsed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:42 AM, TB100 said:

Ian Flynn confirmed to be involved as a consultant.

Flynn's knowledge is going to help them a lot.

• Thumbs Up 6

15 hours ago, Zaysho said:

All will be right if Richard Ian Cox voices Sonic.

I don't get it.

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I don't get it.

Dub voice actor known for playing Inuyasha. I just like his voice and think if we're going to have Canadian voice actors for this version, he's my pick for Sonic. It wasn't a joke or anything more.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Zaysho said:

Dub voice actor known for playing Inuyasha. I just like his voice and think if we're going to have Canadian voice actors for this version, he's my pick for Sonic. It wasn't a joke or anything more.

Ah, I guess that makes sense in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, phobs said:

Are there any updates on the production? According to past job postings, they planned to start animating in 3D sometime this Fall

I haven't heard anything about the production process yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since, the game actors won't probably be voicing their characters, I wonder if the Japanese voice actors will voice the characters in the TV show? I know they did voice their characters in that Sonic Boom TV show. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Since, the game actors won't probably be voicing their characters, I wonder if the Japanese voice actors will voice the characters in the TV show? I know they did voice their characters in that Sonic Boom TV show. 

Probably. For dubs there probably isn't an issue with using whatever voice cast you want. 

Since that part isn't an issue, Japan has a different culture with voice actors. Pretty much you are guaranteed to be the role of whatever character you voice for all future projects. A lot of people think this is unique to Sonic ("Why do the Japanese actors stay the same?")but it is more of a Japanese thing all together.  (Setting aside the fact that there were legitimate reasons the English voice cast has changed all these years)

3 hours ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Probably. For dubs there probably isn't an issue with using whatever voice cast you want. 

Since that part isn't an issue, Japan has a different culture with voice actors. Pretty much you are guaranteed to be the role of whatever character you voice for all future projects. A lot of people think this is unique to Sonic ("Why do the Japanese actors stay the same?")but it is more of a Japanese thing all together.  (Setting aside the fact that there were legitimate reasons the English voice cast has changed all these 

Contracts? Changes in recording studio? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Since that part isn't an issue, Japan has a different culture with voice actors. Pretty much you are guaranteed to be the role of whatever character you voice for all future projects. A lot of people think this is unique to Sonic ("Why do the Japanese actors stay the same?")but it is more of a Japanese thing all together.  (Setting aside the fact that there were legitimate reasons the English voice cast has changed all these years)

I am amazed that when it comes to Japan, they always keep the same voice actors for many years. I believe Sonic's Japanese voice actor has been around since Sonic first came out or at least since Sonic started talking in the games.  The only American cartoon I can think of that retained the same voice actors for many years was the Simpsons.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zoomzeta said:

Contracts? Changes in recording studio? 

You mean the reason for the English VA change?

Yeah. We have a lot of VAs for Sonic mostly from the early 2000s, but it was less about "let's change Sonic willy nilly all the time within the span of 5 years" and more that things came up as they were trying to figure out doing voices in game. Sonic X needed NY based VA because of 4kids. And they were trying to be consistent by carrying them over to the games. So they replaced the SA voice cast. Then eventually for logistics purposes they switched the recording studio to California where Sega US is at. So they had to change them again. Not saying it doesn't stink but, at least there were more practical reasons than "let's switch things up".

52 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I am amazed that when it comes to Japan, they always keep the same voice actors for many years. I believe Sonic's Japanese voice actor has been around since Sonic first came out or at least since Sonic started talking in the games.  The only American cartoon I can think of that retained the same voice actors for many years was the Simpsons.

I alluded to it above, but part of the reason, besides that fact that the logistics work out easier in Japan is that VA culture is different. 

In Japan VAs have essentially celebrity status and fan clubs (which can have its own issues as well, don't be fooled!) VAs are starting to get more attention overseas as well, and certain VAs do have a lot of fans. But especially in animation and games VAs are (unfortunately) seen as a few steps below A list celebrities like Jim Carrey. There are pros and cons to both Japan and US/Europe VA culture so it is important to be critical. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Sonic X needed NY based VA because of 4kids. And they were trying to be consistent by carrying them over to the games. So they replaced the SA voice cast. Then eventually for logistics purposes they switched the recording studio to California where Sega US is at.

Interesting, I never knew this. It's a bit early to be discussing this, but what do you think the odds are SEGA decides to switch out the voice cast again if Prime does well, to maintain that consistency? If the purpose of the switch to Roger and co. was due to convenience, I suppose they wouldn't, but then I guess they're just giving up that brand consistency they cared about so much before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

Interesting, I never knew this. It's a bit early to be discussing this, but what do you think the odds are SEGA decides to switch out the voice cast again if Prime does well, to maintain that consistency? If the purpose of the switch to Roger and co. was due to convenience, I suppose they wouldn't, but then I guess they're just giving up that brand consistency they cared about so much before. 

I don't think they would for a variety of reasons including drama that might stir up.

By the way if you want a source with the VA switches I believe Mike Pollack mentioned it in a few interviews. Basically contracts plus change of recording location. He reauditioned and they let him come back though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, Enesephus said:

They still want brand consistency, it's just that they couldn't do anything about a show needing Canadian voice actors. The same thing happened with Xiaolin Chronicles, where only the people who already had Canadian citizenship could reprise their roles.

• Thumbs Up 3

This show looks great, can't wait to watch it! This and the 4th season of "Stranger Things" will be the 2 Netflix things I will look forward to most in 2022! :)

• Thumbs Up 3

• The topic was featured
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess because of the controversy with the Scourge comic recently, Scourge probably won't be in this series.

Honestly here is the first I had heard about this even though apparently the news has been around. I'm...cautiously optimistic. I still enjoy most of the sonic TV series there was in the past, and the concept art I think looks quite neat myself. But I'm just...ehhh with it being on Netflix in general. I never cared for the platform when it first came out as it was. I just hope that they are able to get with someone for making a physical release of this series, since I have noticed a trend of only a small handful of series that debuts on streaming services to ever end up with a physical release in the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think the old multiverse is gonna be here at all, so even Sonic X and SatAM or Boom, it's an all-new multiverse as it was mentioned in the press and shown in the concepts. New ideas. The things I'm curious about is whether Classic Sonic and Blaze's worlds will be in, I hope so.

• Thumbs Up 2