Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Also, the character who has the most versitility and potential also carries the most baggage. Whisper would have to bring her tragic backstory along with her, which is a tonal shift I can't see the games being willing to touch. Eggman can't have a clear and direct connection to straight up murder, even if his plots can assume casualties here and there. 

If you drop her backstory in a text dump somewhere for the gaming audience, it would not have the same effect, and if you ignore it completely that might be even worse. Without jumping that tone shark and devoting at least a chunk of screentime to whispers backstory, it would be difficult to incorporate her into a story driven game with the proper amount of respect. 

Jewel or even Tangle could more or less make the jump and be introduced as friendly NPCs or whatnot. Whisper can't. 

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Also, the character who has the most versitility and potential also carries the most baggage. Whisper would have to bring her tragic backstory along with her, which is a tonal shift I can't see the games being willing to touch. Eggman can't have a clear and direct connection to straight up murder, even if his plots can assume casualties here and there. 

If you drop her backstory in a text dump somewhere for the gaming audience, it would not have the same effect, and if you ignore it completely that might be even worse. Without jumping that tone shark and devoting at least a chunk of screentime to whispers backstory, it would be difficult to incorporate her into a story driven game with the proper amount of respect. 

Jewel or even Tangle could more or less make the jump and be introduced as friendly NPCs or whatnot. Whisper can't. 

If you drop Whisper’s background, you’d be changing her character a lot due to how much it forges her into who she is in the comics. You’d even risk her being mishandled much the same way they’ve done Shadow in that area (even if she uses a more appropriate looking weapon than Shadow did with a glock in his own game).

Given that we’ve already had tragic backgrounds before, I honestly don’t see why that part of her has to be excluded if she were to be brought in the games beyond Sega not wanting to be consistent.

There is a work around, however: you could just have her be socially awkward and shy, but less aggressive and bloodthirsty than Shadow. You could even have The Diamond Cutters still be alive with her. Not really hard to do, but you can’t always really count on it being done well without some caveat throwing a monkey wrench in it.

That said, I’d rather not bring comic characters into the game on the count of consistency. If IDW is it’s own thing, don’t count on it transferring to the games anymore than Archie or Boom can.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

You would really have to just diversify them a bit in the details; like just because Shadow exists didn't stop the series giving Sonic any more rivals.

Or more hedgehogs, or more speedsters, or more superforms, or etc.

I feel like the recent changes to Shadow are more because of Sega's new, simpler direction for the series ans them not wanting continuity to get in the way of people who play the games.

Whisper might be subjected to the same deal if she were imported. Given Whisper is one of the few Modern characters with actual pathos in her character arc, losing that would hurt her character a lot in the way it has Shadow. Except Shadow has 20 years of established characterization to fall back on, Whisper does not, so its much more dangerous for her if she were to lose her backstory and suffer Flanderization so early into her lifespan.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like the recent changes to Shadow are more because of Sega's new, simpler direction for the series ans them not wanting continuity to get in the way of people who play the games.

Whisper might be subjected to the same deal if she were imported. Given Whisper is one of the few Modern characters with actual pathos in her character arc, losing that would hurt her character a lot in the way it has Shadow. Except Shadow has 20 years of established characterization to fall back on, Whisper does not, so its much more dangerous for her if she were to lose her backstory and suffer Flanderization so early into her lifespan.

I'm convinced for several reasons that we've reached the end of Sonic being simplified and lighthearted, it just takes a while to take effect since most major projects take some time to release.

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Tangle's always been the big one because, on top of being yet another hero, she's not all that unique or even useful. She has a good design sure and is allegedly meant to be more of a brawler than most of the other female characters, but is actually not very distinct when it comes to her personality or role. Even putting the "Kindred Spirit to Sonic" theme IDW pushed initially aside, she's basically another Amy(plus Marine and Charmy) when you get down to it: an energetic Sonic fangirl who's really eager to go on adventures and fight bad guys. Do we really need another character like that in games when Amy is still considered a main character, nevermind how they aren't exactly the most wellregarded?

That's what I've been saying since Day 1 lol It's like, I know a certain Amy fan who constantly accuses Cream of being a copy of Amy, but Tangle fits that description way more. Issue 24 being the straw that broke the camel's back for me with Tangle expressing full faith in Sonic's intentions and ability to save the world, which is Amy's schtick and honestly a moment long overdue between her and Sonic. And with Amy herself being characterized more like Sally in the first few years of IDW... Can't say I was endeared to Tangle, who was coming off a full-fledged replacement for Amy (in terms of personality and role, that is). But of course, now Amy is being characterized more like her natural self, I'm starting to warm up to Tangle. But I still feel like Tangle didn't need to be made: everything she supposedly brings to the table, Amy already accomplished. A female character who can readily tag along in adventures with Sonic; a Kindred Spirit to Sonic (if not a female counterpart to him); Full of energy and passion; relative newcomer to adventuring and wants to become an adventuring hero for the thrills and good karma; need I go on? 

That said, I do love Tangle's design and her using her tail as an extra, very stretchy long arm (though honestly, such an ability makes more sense for a spider monkey, a species named for their prehensile tail, than a lemur). Just.. Was there no other personality and role for her to possess?

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Naw fuck that rule

Does it even apply to IDW Sonic? Wasn't there that guy who made Whisper's wispon?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Does it even apply to IDW Sonic? Wasn't there that guy who made Whisper's wispon?

I think he was less of an "inventor" and more of a "blacksmith".

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think he was less of an "inventor" and more of a "blacksmith".

Still, he invented stuff

• Thumbs Up 2

Inventing =/= building stuff

Inventing = being the origin of a creation

You don't know if that guy was the inventor of Wisp weapons in general or if he just makes their supply

No, no. i see the point. A guy who's died before we met him and we struggle to remember his name, that's too many inventors.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

You don't know if that guy was the inventor of Wisp weapons in general or if he just makes their supply

Probably the loopholes Ian used to justify Starline's existence. He's made things, but never quite from scratch.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If you drop Whisper’s background, you’d be changing her character a lot due to how much it forges her into who she is in the comics. You’d even risk her being mishandled much the same way they’ve done Shadow in that area (even if she uses a more appropriate looking weapon than Shadow did with a glock in his own game).

Given that we’ve already had tragic backgrounds before, I honestly don’t see why that part of her has to be excluded if she were to be brought in the games beyond Sega not wanting to be consistent.

There is a work around, however: you could just have her be socially awkward and shy, but less aggressive and bloodthirsty than Shadow. You could even have The Diamond Cutters still be alive with her. Not really hard to do, but you can’t always really count on it being done well without some caveat throwing a monkey wrench in it.

That said, I’d rather not bring comic characters into the game on the count of consistency. If IDW is it’s own thing, don’t count on it transferring to the games anymore than Archie or Boom can.

Also need to consider IF the game decide to change something it may need to be reflected back into the comic, unless it's insignificant enough to dismiss. If they retcon the Diamond Cutter's death in game, they're also gonna have to pull a "surprise, we hid ourselves to heal ourselves!" or make them have amnesia or something in the comic. Either way, it'll possibly ruin Whisper's paranoid lone wolf aspect of her character.

Another example is if they introduce Starline as he is right now without all the Eggman-shenanigans and buildup, it'd feel like an edgy overpowered mobian version of Eggman (I mean I guess that is his character) that appeared out of nowhere.

If they wanna use the comic cast, it's ideal they keep all part of whatever that makes them unique. Meaning they're gonna have to take time to repeat/reintroduce their lore so non-comic readers would understand. But in that case, it's easier to just...make a new character from scratch that fit all their need.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Characters are allowed to have similar personalities.

Yes. I'm aware of that. That's not my issue though.

My issue with Tangle, however, is that her similarities with Amy goes beyond personality. Her character is essentially a go-getter girl who admires Sonic, desired a life of adventure, and after experiencing an adventure with Sonic has joined the heroes as a newbie adventurer. Which was pretty much Amy's background and role back in the Adventure Era. Literally only difference is that Tangle isn't in love with Sonic nor was she rejected by the heroes. And, as I pointed out, Tangle's whole moment with Sonic in Issue 24 is exactly what would be expected of Amy: aside from Tails, she's the character who has utmost faith in Sonic's motives and capability. But instead of Amy doing that to Sonic himself when he's at his emotional lowest, it's Tangle who does that. Hell, Tangle even has her own best friend who is a timid but down-to-earth girl who can fly! 

Let's compare this with, say, Blaze and Whisper. Both are introverted, if not shy, and quiet girls who are initially cautious and mistrustful of others. They are very focused and try to keep their emotions under control but harbor an immense temper that flares out of control when triggered. Both prefer to work alone and do their own work, but are willing to work with others, and otherwise are inherently friendly and heroic characters. But whereas Blaze was always friendless and avoided people due to her pyrokinesis, Whisper was part of a tight-knit group before one went rogue and got the rest killed, and since then avoided people so as to not lose another friend. Blaze is introverted but not exactly shy (after Sonic Rush, that is), but Whisper quite literally speaks in whispers most of the time. And Whisper is pretty much a solo mercenary with no real responsibilities beyond what she wants, while Blaze is the guardian of her own dimension's equivalent to the Chaos Emeralds, and the local empire's royalty on top of that; Whisper can get involved in as many adventures if she were inclined, but Blaze requires a great deal more things for her to get involved. Similar personalities, VERY different characters. 

With Tangle and Amy, though, the only real difference besides one being a love interest and the other not is that Amy's character was changed from a plucky and passionate girl out to become her own hero to a highly organized administrator who buries her energy and feelings for the sake of the mission. If Tangle had debuted back when Heroes was new, I'm very certain she would be viewed as an exact copy of Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Also need to consider IF the game decide to change something it may need to be reflected back into the comic, unless it's insignificant enough to dismiss. If they retcon the Diamond Cutter's death in game, they're also gonna have to pull a "surprise, we hid ourselves to heal ourselves!" or make them have amnesia or something in the comic. Either way, it'll possibly ruin Whisper's paranoid lone wolf aspect of her character.

Not unless they keep the game verse separate from the comics like they did with Archie. Of course, that’s a different can of worms in itself, but in a best case scenario (meaning “no fuck ups in general”) they could still make it work while keeping the essence the same.

The real trouble comes more from Mimic than Whisper. You’d have to find another way to make him a bad guy if the Diamond Cutters live—that, or kill them off later down the line after introducing them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

My issue with Tangle, however, is that her similarities with Amy goes beyond personality. Her character is essentially a go-getter girl who admires Sonic, desired a life of adventure, and after experiencing an adventure with Sonic has joined the heroes as a newbie adventurer. Which was pretty much Amy's background and role back in the Adventure Era. Literally only difference is that Tangle isn't in love with Sonic nor was she rejected by the heroes. And, as I pointed out, Tangle's whole moment with Sonic in Issue 24 is exactly what would be expected of Amy: aside from Tails, she's the character who has utmost faith in Sonic's motives and capability. But instead of Amy doing that to Sonic himself when he's at his emotional lowest, it's Tangle who does that. Hell, Tangle even has her own best friend who is a timid but down-to-earth girl who can fly! 

Let's compare this with, say, Blaze and Whisper. Both are introverted, if not shy, and quiet girls who are initially cautious and mistrustful of others. They are very focused and try to keep their emotions under control but harbor an immense temper that flares out of control when triggered. Both prefer to work alone and do their own work, but are willing to work with others, and otherwise are inherently friendly and heroic characters. But whereas Blaze was always friendless and avoided people due to her pyrokinesis, Whisper was part of a tight-knit group before one went rogue and got the rest killed, and since then avoided people so as to not lose another friend. Blaze is introverted but not exactly shy (after Sonic Rush, that is), but Whisper quite literally speaks in whispers most of the time. And Whisper is pretty much a solo mercenary with no real responsibilities beyond what she wants, while Blaze is the guardian of her own dimension's equivalent to the Chaos Emeralds, and the local empire's royalty on top of that; Whisper can get involved in as many adventures if she were inclined, but Blaze requires a great deal more things for her to get involved. Similar personalities, VERY different characters. 

With Tangle and Amy, though, the only real difference besides one being a love interest and the other not is that Amy's character was changed from a plucky and passionate girl out to become her own hero to a highly organized administrator who buries her energy and feelings for the sake of the mission. If Tangle had debuted back when Heroes was new, I'm very certain she would be viewed as an exact copy of Amy.

Sonic has inspired almost every character in the series, its not really out of the realm of possibility that he continue to do that. I think you're looking at things that aren't actually there, and conflating things about Amy that hasn't actually happened? Amy's never had a moment like Tangle had in Issue 24, ever. So how can you call her "stealing Amy's moment" when when it was never a thing Amy ever did!!!?? So basically, you dislike Tangle for "stealing" things from Amy in spite of the fact that Amy herself never did any of that stuff to begin with. 

This is the same faulty logic fans use when they say shit like "Shadow stole Knuckles' role as Sonic's rival". Bottom line is, Tangle is a realized version of the type of character you see Amy as and that bothers you. I get it, but it is what it is to me. Tangle is an original character that the writers can actually do things with, while Amy will always be limited by what Sega allows. It's not really fair to blame Tangle for "stealing" anything because it was never something that was stolen? 

Like, characters can play similar roles in a narrative and yes, sometimes other characters will play that role better. Its how writing works, things will progress and get better over time. In a couple of years, there might be another character who does Tangle's role better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I mean, technically speaking you’re right. It’s just that people tend to use “inventor” as interchangeable with “Mechanic,” “Scientist,” and “Engineer.”

They’re all different in meaning, but the idea is basically another way of describing a guy who works with technology or just all around making something of use.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sega let Whisper's friends die in IDW they'd probably let them die in the games. Characters have stopped dying in the games for the time being but deaths like the Echidna tribe, Maria, and Chip are still canon so I'd assume there's not some mandate against it. Whisper's story hinges on tragedy making her hesitant to make friends with others, so if the intent is to adapt Whisper to the games, you have no choice but to keep it. If the intent is just thoughtless cross promotion ala Blaze in 06, then the mobile game already has you covered and we don't have to keep having this discussion.

3 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Tangle has a passing similarity to Amy due to being enthusiastic about Sonic and adventure, but a lot of Sonic characters are like that. What about their differences? 
Amy's never been physically able to keep up with Sonic and had a lot of every day passions and hobbies that had nothing to do with travel. Tangle's much more athletic and much more eager to get into scraps for no reason. She's much more scatterbrained than Amy's ever been. Amy's always been a people person who's been able to organize desperate characters before, so the role of an organizer actually does suit her. Meanwhile in Tangle and Whisper, Tangle is shown to be occasionally be tone deaf to other's needs or the gravity of a specific scene. She's much more eager to play pranks or crack jokes.

The scene from issue 24 wouldn't even work as well with Amy because part of the reason shit escalated in the first place is that she was too eager to check on her friends in her hometown. The roots they established earlier in the book. You could rewrite the scene to feature Amy and give her an epic send off protecting Cream's house or whatever, but I could do that with Tails or Knuckles too. As it stands now, it's constructed to be Tangle's moment.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Amy's never had a moment like Tangle had in Issue 24, ever. So how can you call her "stealing Amy's moment" when when it was never a thing Amy ever did!!!??

Amy in Sonic 06, when told Sonic would cause the end of the world. 

Spoiler

Amy in Unleashed, when the planet seemed utterly doomed. And after Sonic saved it.

Spoiler

Tangle when Sonic blames himself for the Metal Virus. 

Spoiler

1716581213_Screenshot2021-10-21222932.png.92f4ea60d119e7c7e76a5833a2dd36e2.png

Yeah, Amy has totally never done anything like that before. Tangle's words were absolutely not the exact things Amy would say, and should've been able to say to Sonic.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

It's not really fair to blame Tangle for "stealing" anything because it was never something that was stolen? 

I'm not blaming Tangle for anything. I try and "blame" fictional characters for things they have no actual control over, cause they're fictional. Rather, I'm baffled as to why Tangle was made to begin with when her overall personality, role, and background is almost exactly the same as that of a long established character, and thus could've used that long established character for this new character's role. Especially since that long established character had her own story arc early on that was left unfinished and could've been picked back up/"rebooted" for this brand new comic series. 

If you're going to make a new character for a series already rife with characters, you have to make sure they actually bring something new to the table. Whisper accomplishes this. Belle, for as apathetic as I am to her character and annoyed with her being the focus these past arcs, accomplishes this. Tangle is the only one I feel who doesn't because, outside of her stretchy tail, she comes off like "another Amy". And I'm hardly the only one who feels that way. *Points to DabigRG's post that I quoted* So I'm questioning why the writers failed with Tangle in that regard, and am extra annoyed about it since it's stepping on the toes of my much preferred character.

3 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Not unless they keep the game verse separate from the comics like they did with Archie. Of course, that’s a different can of worms in itself, but in a best case scenario (meaning “no fuck ups in general”) they could still make it work while keeping the essence the same.

The real trouble comes more from Mimic than Whisper. You’d have to find another way to make him a bad guy if the Diamond Cutters live—that, or kill them off later down the line after introducing them.

I thought I remember Ian saying something along the line of "comic need to reflect stuff introduced in-game" in one of the recent Bumblekast...but I don't want to listen through them again so...*shrug*. Still, I doubt Sega would go out of their way to import a character from an on-going series as part of the main cast only to retcon/change the core part of said character.

Another problem for Mimic is given how the recent Sonic games work, it's gonna be hard to give him the focus he needs when he's Whisper's archenemy. He has almost zero interaction with the main cast and he's not exactly a good fighter, at least in Sonic game standard. He's more fit for the comic than a speed-based platformer, and a mini-boss (I imagine a "find the real one" type of minigame) rather than an actual Sonic boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:50 PM, Kuzu said:

You would really have to just diversify them a bit in the details; like just because Shadow exists didn't stop the series giving Sonic any more rivals.

That really only applies to Jet, who's confined to the now defunct Riders spin-offs.

14 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I'm convinced for several reasons that we've reached the end of Sonic being simplified and lighthearted, it just takes a while to take effect since most major projects take some time to release.

Which is honestly why the games have been rather stagnant since Lost World.

12 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

That's what I've been saying since Day 1 lol It's like, I know a certain Amy fan who constantly accuses Cream of being a copy of Amy, but Tangle fits that description way more. Issue 24 being the straw that broke the camel's back for me with Tangle expressing full faith in Sonic's intentions and ability to save the world, which is Amy's schtick and honestly a moment long overdue between her and Sonic.

Oh I know exactly who you're talking about.

Kinda weird how some people just up and disappeared on us.

And with Amy herself being characterized more like Sally in the first few years of IDW...

Still don't really get behind that, but whatever. Shorthand

Can't say I was endeared to Tangle, who was coming off a full-fledged replacement for Amy (in terms of personality and role, that is). But of course, now Amy is being characterized more like her natural self, I'm starting to warm up to Tangle. But I still feel like Tangle didn't need to be made: everything she supposedly brings to the table, Amy already accomplished. A female character who can readily tag along in adventures with Sonic; a Kindred Spirit to Sonic (if not a female counterpart to him); Full of energy and passion; relative newcomer to adventuring and wants to become an adventuring hero for the thrills and good karma; need I go on? 

That said, I do love Tangle's design and her using her tail as an extra, very stretchy long arm (though honestly, such an ability makes more sense for a spider monkey, a species named for their prehensile tail, than a lemur). Just.. Was there no other personality and role for her to possess?

If it helps, Flynn did admit that she was basically a walking prototype for what to do and not to do when introducing original characters.

11 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Characters are allowed to have similar personalities.

I generally agree, don't get me wrong. It's why I saw complaints about characters like Rotor, Cream, and at one point Mighty being things to be a flimsy.

11 hours ago, Razule said:

Unless they're inventors. Only Eggman and Tails can do that.

11 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Naw fuck that rule

11 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's never been consistent, even in Boom.

33 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Amy in Sonic 06, when told Sonic would cause the end of the world. 

Reveal hidden contents

Amy in Unleashed, when the planet seemed utterly doomed. And after Sonic saved it.

Reveal hidden contents

Tangle when Sonic blames himself for the Metal Virus. 

Reveal hidden contents

1716581213_Screenshot2021-10-21222932.png.92f4ea60d119e7c7e76a5833a2dd36e2.png

Yeah, Amy has totally never done anything like that before. Tangle's words were absolutely not the exact things Amy would say, and should've been able to say to Sonic.

I'm not blaming Tangle for anything. I try and "blame" fictional characters for things they have no actual control over, cause they're fictional. Rather, I'm baffled as to why Tangle was made to begin with when her overall personality, role, and background is almost exactly the same as that of a long established character, and thus could've used that long established character for this new character's role. Especially since that long established character had her own story arc early on that was left unfinished and could've been picked back up/"rebooted" for this brand new comic series. 

If you're going to make a new character for a series already rife with characters, you have to make sure they actually bring something new to the table. Whisper accomplishes this. Belle, for as apathetic as I am to her character and annoyed with her being the focus these past arcs, accomplishes this. Tangle is the only one I feel who doesn't because, outside of her stretchy tail, she comes off like "another Amy". And I'm hardly the only one who feels that way. *Points to DabigRG's post that I quoted* So I'm questioning why the writers failed with Tangle in that regard, and am extra annoyed about it since it's stepping on the toes of my much preferred character.

These are all extremely superficial comparisons and I feel like you're reaching quite a bit to make a point. Like Wraith said, you could literally rewrite the scene to feature Amy, but that's not the point. Any character could have been written for that scene.  It's a Tangle moment because it takes place in her hometown and she's keeping on a brave face because she knows that she's literally about to die. 

You're so focused on the similarities between the characters and completely ignoring their differences; besides the fact that she's not in-love with Sonic, Tangle is a much more physically orientated fighter, she's not as emotionally mature as Amy and prone to literal claustrophobia when confined in small spaces. 

There a plenty of differences between the characters, so I don't understand why you're so laser focused on a single moment and conclude that they're exactly the same character. It makes no logical sense whatsoever. It's like if I said because Espio, Rouge, and Blaze have similar color schemes, they are therefore the same character. 

• Thumbs Up 1