Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I really haven't gotten any romantic/sexual vibes from any of the characters in the series yet.

Well, I mean, that hasn't stopped shippers before has it?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Well, I mean, that hasn't stopped shippers before has it?

That's true, I guess I expected there to be actual hints at relationships before that mess started. I never really got the whole TanglexWhisper thing, even it some of the IDW team was pushing for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That's true, I guess I expected there to be actual hints at relationships before that mess started. I never really got the whole TanglexWhisper thing, even it some of the IDW team was pushing for it.

To be kindof honest, I love Tangle and Whisper. I keep swapping between the idea of whether I like them just as friends or whether I'd like to see them together. It'll be interesting, certainly I get the impression they probably could do it with comic original characters, but I know Ian Flynn is really over the whole shipping thing, but Evan Stanley does seem to be a bit of a shipper herself judging from Ghosts of the Future.

Eh, we'll see. I think when it comes to this kindof thing, you have to take a very casual look at it. Too many fans get overworked about this kindof thing. I just think it would be cute if it did happen, but not expecting it would ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

To be kindof honest, I love Tangle and Whisper. I keep swapping between the idea of whether I like them just as friends or whether I'd like to see them together. It'll be interesting, certainly I get the impression they probably could do it with comic original characters, but I know Ian Flynn is really over the whole shipping thing, but Evan Stanley does seem to be a bit of a shipper herself judging from Ghosts of the Future.

Eh, we'll see. I think when it comes to this kindof thing, you have to take a very casual look at it. Too many fans get overworked about this kindof thing. I just think it would be cute if it did happen, but not expecting it would ever happen.

It might just be my perspective on relationships but  I like their relationship more as friends. It's nice and I think they have better chemistry that way, and it feels more cute and innocent to me. If they do eventually make the ship canon, then I hope they don't fall into a trap Steven Universe did where they overcompensate with gay representation and it gets kinda overtly sexual and uncomfortably intimate.

• Thumbs Up 2

After viewing the idw sonic #46 preview, I've come to a conclusion...

Spoilers below,

Spoiler

Belle's arm gets burned off showing a robotic hand. She gets kidnapped a couple issues before by a villain. Gets rescued. 

Now, who was a southern Belle in the Archie comic's? Who was also kidnapped and nearly roboticized but rescued before it was completed? That's right, bunnie rabbit. She also has a southern belle accent.

So belle is a bunnie rabbot exp.

...Are the chaotix hiring? They could use some help. 😂😏

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

4 minutes ago, AWild No.1 washed up gamer said:

After viewing the idw sonic #46 preview, I've come to a conclusion...

Spoilers below,

Hide contents

Belle's arm gets burned off showing a robotic hand. She gets kidnapped a couple issues before by a villain. Gets rescued. 

Now, who was a southern Belle in the Archie comic's? Who was also kidnapped and nearly roboticized but rescued before it was completed? That's right, bunnie rabbit. She also has a southern belle accent.

So belle is a bunnie rabbot exp.

...Are the chaotix hiring? They could use some help. 😂😏

I don't really think they're that similar. Belle isn't a powerhouse like Bunnie is, and she's far more clumsy.

4 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I don't really think they're that similar. Belle isn't a powerhouse like Bunnie is, and she's far more clumsy.

She may not be a powerhouse but I think these are still noticeable hidden references to the freedom fighter of old.

26 minutes ago, AWild No.1 washed up gamer said:

She may not be a powerhouse but I think these are still noticeable hidden references to the freedom fighter of old.

There could be references. I've never really given much attention to either character so I wouldn't notice them, but on the surface they're pretty different

It has noting to do with a hidden references. Shes a badnik and does not like to think on it to much. A forest fire burns her wooden arm. She is her own character.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It might just be my perspective on relationships but  I like their relationship more as friends. It's nice and I think they have better chemistry that way, and it feels more cute and innocent to me. If they do eventually make the ship canon, then I hope they don't fall into a trap Steven Universe did where they overcompensate with gay representation and it gets kinda overtly sexual and uncomfortably intimate.

I think that's fair. I haven't watched Steven Universe but I doubt the writers would fall into that kindof trap. I can't help but think the errors of the Penders era must be at the back of their minds, and the weird over-sexualisation of some of his characters and the infamy that has is something I imagine they would want to always avoid. I'm sure if Tangle and Whisper, or any other characters became a thing, I think they'd handle it well. I think it would be respectful and cute.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Silvereyes said:

Apparently issue #46 is meant to be out in just 2 weeks, 27th October. Then Imposter Syndrome #1 on 17th November. Then #47 on 22nd December.

What kind of scheduling is that?

Like, I know they can't hault the main series for a miniseries, but seriously. I hope they did a better job communicating and pacing their stories so that they line up well.

16 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Preview for the next issue 

Hide contents

Surge and Kit 

What a random time

16 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Well the conversation wasn't really about the book's restrictions, just Evan's writing.

Ooh. I was expecting this to tie into Imposter Syndrome closer to the end. hopefully this means the book won't be dwelling on filler for long. Although, if Starline's "Bio-Badniks" are being shown here, does that mean Imposter Syndrome is going to start with them already active and just fill us in via flashbacks or something?

17 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Yeah GotF is very different from IDW. First one is a fancomic where she has all the freedom to do anything she wants (including changing/exploring the character's personality/trait/etc), the other is an officially licensed comic with guidelines on how to handle each character.

Although I wouldn't blame Sonic Team too much yet. There has been times where some plot points people had issue with were the writer's choices (like Sonic attacking Belle iirc. Or Belle's arc in general I guess?).

I mostly mean that a fancomic can have all of the custom characterization, design choices, locations, stories, and page counts it feels like existing with, while an officially licensed product has limitations that need to be worked around in order to be sold.

(WTF is up with these quotes sometimes)

Since it's relevant now

Spoiler

Looks like Belle has a therapy pet to look after now--might just call him Jimmy.

Also, she does in fact appear to be metallic underneath her wooden exterior. Guess Tinker still had practically in mind.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Hide contents

Looks like Belle has a therapy pet to look after now--might just call him Jimmy.

Also, she does in fact appear to be metallic underneath her wooden exterior. Guess Tinker still had practically in mind.

I hope Belle's exterior gets burnt off (later replaced) and we see her metal body like what happened when Mecha/M was introduced in Archie.

22 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Preview for the next issue 

Reveal hidden contents

Surge and Kit 

Geez, already? Have we been regularly getting next issue previews the same week that the previous issue releases?

7 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Geez, already? Have we been regularly getting next issue previews the same week that the previous issue releases?

I don't think so. I mean we don't usually get two issues per month.

Bunnie's character arc was about her accepting who/what she was. 
Belle's is more about getting others to accept who/what she is.  

They have completely different personalities and abilities, too. 

Not really a believer that we have/are getting copies of the old characters in the current book. Figure the staff doesn't want what was happened with NU 252; people doing more time comparing the two books and their characters than getting a feel for who the new characters are. They've worked almost four years to make this book distinguishable from Archie. 

Even with the most obvious one about the come into play, I'd wager she's going to be somewhat different. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Mobotropolis said:

Bunnie's character arc was about her accepting who/what she was. 
Belle's is more about getting others to accept who/what she is.  

They have completely different personalities and abilities, too. 

Not really a believer that we have/are getting copies of the old characters in the current book. Figure the staff doesn't want what was happened with NU 252; people doing more time comparing the two books and their characters than getting a feel for who the new characters are. They've worked almost four years to make this book distinguishable from Archie. 

Even with the most obvious one about the come into play, I'd wager she's going to be somewhat different. 

I don't really want IDW to be Archie 3.0 anyways. Archie was great but even in post-reboot it was very different from the games. IDW is the first time we're getting actual representation of the game universe in other media.

• Thumbs Up 2

IDW is basically picking up on the direction post reboot archie was headed anyway, down to borrowing a story arc wholesale. It's similar to the games because Archie itself was becoming more and more like the games as time went on.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, CertifiedNobody said:

I don't really want IDW to be Archie 3.0 anyways. Archie was great but even in post-reboot it was very different from the games. IDW is the first time we're getting actual representation of the game universe in other media.

Hate to burst your bubble, but no it isn’t.

We’ve had plenty of game representation in Archie even before the reboot, and even outside of Archie there was Fleetway which had even more game material than Archie before Flynn replaced Penders.

If anything, IDW is the third in that category. And it’s not really doing much different from the others before it by having its own distinct setting.

35 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but no it isn’t.

We’ve had plenty of game representation in Archie even before the reboot, and even outside of Archie there was Fleetway which had even more game material than Archie before Flynn replaced Penders.

If anything, IDW is the third in that category. And it’s not really doing much different from the others before it by having its own distinct setting.

Archie and Fleetway don't represent the games. Sure, it takes elements and plots from the games, but the comic and shows have always had their own take on the franchise that heavily diverges from the games. And that's fine, I like different takes on the series, but IDW is directly following up on the games, starring game characters, and all of their new concepts are approved by Sega. That's pretty different from Archie and Fleetway, where the story was an amalgamation of American game manuals and cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Archie and Fleetway don't represent the games. Sure, it takes elements and plots from the games, but the comic and shows have always had their own take on the franchise that heavily diverges from the games. And that's fine, I like different takes on the series, but IDW is directly following up on the games, starring game characters, and all of their new concepts are approved by Sega. That's pretty different from Archie and Fleetway, where the story was an amalgamation of American game manuals and cartoons.

Yes they do.

They represented the games before IDW was given the license for their respective regions when they were ongoing—they were there literally at the start of the franchise as it was building itself, and were the very representation of the games as Sega wanted at the time before even more sub-series like Sonic X, Boom, or the OVA came into the picture. And when Sega started getting more involved after the mess Penders made, they were the ones that approved what went on in Archie as it started becoming more like the games.

Also, Fleetway wasn’t American, it was European, and had far more game elements than Archie. This franchise has changed a lot in the 30 years it’s been around—just because it’s moved on to other things today doesn’t mean what it had before didn’t represent it.

Did I ever mention that the beginning of Issue 44 had to be redrawn because of Sonic Team noticed that Sonic's expressions made him seem out of character? 

Spoiler

IDW44Page1Pencils1.jpg

250?cb=20210927233410

250?cb=20210927233407

250?cb=20210927233404

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did I ever mention that the beginning of Issue 44 had to be redrawn because of Sonic Team noticed that Sonic's expressions made him seem out of character? 

Now I want to know how they looked.

12 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Yes they do.

They represented the games before IDW was given the license for their respective regions when they were ongoing—they were there literally at the start of the franchise as it was building itself, and were the very representation of the games as Sega wanted at the time before even more sub-series like Sonic X, Boom, or the OVA came into the picture. And when Sega started getting more involved after the mess Penders made, they were the ones that approved what went on in Archie as it started becoming more like the games.

Also, Fleetway wasn’t American, it was European, and had far more game elements than Archie. This franchise has changed a lot in the 30 years it’s been around—just because it’s moved on to other things today doesn’t mean what it had before didn’t represent it.

No they don't. They weren't accurate to the games and didn't represent what Sega wanted out of the series. Even if Archie was more like the games, it still made massive changes like making the Freedom Fighters main characters and bring in a lot of stuff from other continuities. A look at any of the game adaptions (Like Knuckles's Chaotix and the Shattered World Crisis) should show how much they changed things. For better and for worse, Archie is it's own thing, just like Sonic Underground, the Movie, or Boom.

Fleetway wasn't American, but it drew upon the Kintobor origin created by Sega of America, as well as concepts from the American cartoons.

23 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

No they don't. They weren't accurate to the games and didn't represent what Sega wanted out of the series.

Yes, they do and yes they were.

Sega themselves were even involved in their processes. Both Fleetway and Archie even had settings from the games of the classics titles that were the only materials that they had at the time, from Super Forms, special stages, Chaos Emeralds, Badnik designs, etc. and Sega even directly vetoed killing off characters like Sally Acorn in Archie’s Endgame arc. 

Even if Archie was more like the games, it still made massive changes like making the Freedom Fighters main characters and bring in a lot of stuff from other continuities. A look at any of the game adaptions (Like Knuckles's Chaotix and the Shattered World Crisis) should show how much they changed things. For better and for worse, Archie is it's own thing, just like Sonic Underground, the Movie, or Boom.

Literally every sub-series of this franchise has done this, including IDW of today.

The Metal Virus arc was meant for Archie and was retooled for IDW. Never mind how much the games themselves have had to retcon themselves and is much different to how things were established since the 90 when Archie and Fleetway both began alongside the games.

IDW’s benefit is that it has 30 years of material to work with that Archie and Fleetway, as well as other early works, had to make up to fill their settings, but they still utilized game elements such as the settings and plot devices that came with them. The sheer fact that they even adapted Knuckles Chaotix and Unleashed with the Shattered World Crisis (And Sonic 3D Blast, SA1&2, etc.) from the games is in itself a testament that they were representing them, because how do you not represent something by adapting it?

Again, just because something is different doesn’t make it any less of a representation of it.

Fleetway wasn't American, but it drew upon the Kintobor origin created by Sega of America, as well as concepts from the American cartoons.

That doesn’t make it any less of a representation of Sonic for the Europeans.