Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Well that's a losing attitude if I ever heard one. Is it really that hard to just have other characters fill the existing roles?

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Well that's a losing attitude if I ever heard one. Is it really that hard to just have other characters fill the existing roles?

It loses the entire point of Forces if you don't have the avatar in the spotlight. Maybe some things just don't fucking work when you try to do something in a different medium.

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Don't do it. Simple. 

That's not even answering the question...

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Blaze doesn't go down without a fight. I don't know why people see her defeats as disrespectful when she still hits hard enough that the enemies often try to avoid directly fighting her if they can't match her. That's not really BS, that's just natural conflict that makes the story.

Because I want to see her win and look cool? Clearly i'm a bias fan of her. xD

Sure conflict is fine and all. But all the excuses in the world doesn't make what i heard about it sound appealing to me.

19 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Not that I read the comics so i don't know what the WileyEgg thing is... But my logic is getting a single win at the very end doesn't make up much for any BS before it in a story... I've watched anime before where the main character will suck and get abused during the first 90% of the whole series... but near the very end they somehow basically becomes a god and get a super win. But the thing is that last minute pat on the back doesn't make up for the rest of that anime series to me.

The WileyEgg is essentially a Death Egg built for one of the crossover events between Sonic and MegaMan. Burning Blaze one-shots it.

I get what your saying, but its not like she was a punching bag the entire time before that either. In TTT, while she does get a nasty bop on the head by Rouge, this is also bracketed by her bringing Omega to his knees and flat out neutering one of the most Meta-OP characters in the book (Bean). In PPP, being captured is tempered by Luke Skywalker-ing the Double-Death Star. She has ups and downs. Its not like they  just beat her up out of disrespect.

18 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Plus didn't she choose to stay in the cage?

Yes and no.

She probably could have gotten out, but any attempt to do so would have prompted Cap Metal to basically electrocute the cage. The best she could do on short notice was weaken it.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Sure conflict is fine and all. But all the excuses in the world doesn't make what i heard about it sound appealing to me.

Yeah, you and every fan of every other character. But conflict isn't an "excuse", it's the literal bread and butter of having a story. And what you heard sounds incredibly one-sided when Blaze is not the only character to have been put in such bad situations.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Now, here's a curious question:

If IDW Sonic had a Forces adaptation, how would that work?

There is no Classic Sonic. An avatar does not work in a comic.

How would you make such a thing work?

If they were adapting Forces there would be a Classic Sonic, simple as that.

As for the Avatar character, they could just use the default red wolf that Sonic Team uses, and maybe include a few other designs as supporting characters.

Of course, they shouldn't be trying to adapt Forces in the first place, for many reasons.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I'll consider myself lucky on this front then. For a long while when I first got into the comics, my problem with them was actually the opposite situation where it felt like the Heroes would win too easily. That petered off a bit as the book went on though as the conflicts did eventually get pushed more into feeling like they were being treated as long-standing situational conflicts rather than stories he had to tell and wrap up in four issues.

That didn't carry over in Sonic Universe though. Universe never really fully got away from the trap of having a good two or three issue set-up followed by a rushed ending. Even my beloved Eggman's Dozen suffered a bit from this, although I forgave it a little since the end of the third issue for that kind of felt like a last-ditch effort rather than a villain making his grand and epic stand only for him to get clowned in the first few pages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe because they're actually interested in adapting Forces story and it has nothing to do with gameplay in a comic book....?

4 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

It loses the entire point of Forces if you don't have the avatar in the spotlight. Maybe some things just don't fucking work when you try to do something in a different medium.

What aspects of Forces plot rely so heavily on the fact that the avatar is player-created that the writers could not create a stand-in to develop in his or her place? In fact, how can you be so sure the avatar is so relevant to the plot that another character couldn't replace them and have the story be exactly the same, much like with Classic?

• Nice Smile 1

26 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Now, here's a curious question:

If IDW Sonic had a Forces adaptation, how would that work?

There is no Classic Sonic. An avatar does not work in a comic.

How would you make such a thing work?

Do we know that Classic Sonic can't appear in the book?

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Yeah, you and every fan of every other character. But conflict isn't an "excuse", it's the literal bread and butter of having a story. And what you heard sounds incredibly one-sided when Blaze is not the only character to have been put in such a situation.

I didn't say conflict is a excuse. Don't miss word what i said. When I saw people in the past talk about the stories with her in the comics, they made it sound like she was getting abused as a character. If that was overblown on their part then fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

What aspects of Forces plot rely so heavily on the fact that the avatar is player-created that the writers could not create a stand-in to develop in his or her place? In fact, how can you be so sure the avatar is so relevant to the plot that another character couldn't replace them and have the story be exactly the same, much like with Classic?

You may as well not even call it a Forces adaptation if several major characters of it are missing. Maybe it's just me but I would feel really odd reading a game adaptation where they have to replace several characters just to get it to work. 

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Do we know that Classic Sonic can't appear in the book?

It was stated the comic is strictly Modern Sonic. So, maybe Classic Sonic could appear, but this is all we know.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Yeah I don't know who's asking to see a story as bad as Forces reproduced for a comic. 

Yeah, I mean sure let's call the story bad from the one story trailer and brief details we know of it. 

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Yeah I don't know who's asking to see a story as bad as Forces reproduced for a comic. 

• “How many of you would want to see a Sonic Forces comic?” Crowd cheers. “Good to know, we’ll pass that on.”

.. a large amount of people actually.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I didn't say conflict is a excuse. Don't miss word what i said.

My bad. Thought that's what you meant.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

When I saw people in the past talk about the stories with her in the comics, they made it sound like she was getting abused as a character. If that was overblown on their part then fair enough.

Yeah, that's hella overblown. And it almost sounds like those people simply hate seeing their character have flaws honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:
  • “How many of you would want to see a Sonic Forces comic?” Crowd cheers. “Good to know, we’ll pass that on.”

.. a large amount of people actually.

Well it looks like I'll be passing up the IDW comic then, thanks for letting me know ahead of time.

7 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

You may as well not even call it a Forces adaptation if several major characters of it are missing. Maybe it's just me but I would feel really odd reading a game adaptation where they have to replace several characters just to get it to work. 

You mean like how literally every adaptation the comics have ever done has added extra characters and changed the importance of others? It's not a 1-1 transition. Remember how Champions, an adaptation of Sonic the Fighters, was the fucking best arc Ian ever wrote and had hardly anything to do with the game? Why would the people theoretically adapting the game be trying to keep it the same instead of improving on the story?

More importantly, the avatar's entire point is already to be a stand-in for the player. Their purpose is to be replaceable. Classic Sonic is as flat as a board, and hasn't pretty much this entire board said he seems out of place in Forces?

• Thumbs Up 5

Dude, don't let one adaption ruin the experience for you, just skip and move along.

For IDW, I hope we'll get another TTT/PPP/GCC type story for the comics since those were some of my favorites because they all have several things in common.

-It involves teams with interesting interactions and dynamics. (Team Rose, Dark, Chaotix etc.)

-They're primarily about a hunt for an Emerald.(Sol, Chaos)

-Hooligans are involved. (Or just Bean & Bark)

-Several game characters fighting over said Emerald.

-Did I mention Bean & Bark again?

Easily the most fun stories.

10 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

In fact, how can you be so sure the avatar is so relevant to the plot that another character couldn't replace them and have the story be exactly the same, much like with Classic?

I seriously doubt a character that a third of the game is focused on would be so easily replaceable.

• Promotion 1

5 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

If the lack of the Avatar character and Classic Sonic is somehow enough to discredit it as a Forces adaptation, as opposed to everything else that makes up Forces (i.e. Eggman with Infinite and him taking over the world), then that's just being small-minded and petty.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'll consider myself lucky on this front then. For a long while when I first got into the comics, my problem with them was actually the opposite situation where it felt like the Heroes would win too easily. That petered off a bit as the book went on though as the conflicts did eventually get pushed more into feeling like they were being treated as long-standing situational conflicts rather than stories he had to tell and wrap up in four issues.

That didn't carry over in Sonic Universe though. Universe never really fully got away from the trap of having a good two or three issue set-up followed by a rushed ending. Even my beloved Eggman's Dozen suffered a bit from this, although I forgave it a little since the end of the third issue for that kind of felt like a last-ditch effort rather than a villain making his grand and epic stand only for him to get clowned in the first few pages.

Yeah I was somewhat joking when i said I never want her to lose. I agree that I don't like characters flat-out ALWAYS winning... That's bad story writing. In fact It's 1 thing that bothers me about Sonic himself with him winning to often. But If a character like Blaze who doesn't appear very often loses in most of her appearances... I'm not sure how that helps character rep much when they barely have any screen time as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1