Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

Was it literal though? I remember Yuji Naka saying that Sonic just left the islands and started going to human places.

So it's the same fucking planet!

It was, when this was the canon. Then it wasn't when this wasn't the canon anymore. (and tbh, it's perfectly possible that both coexisted for some times in that different members of the Sonic Team had different interpretation of the canon).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In fact, he might try to address inconsistencies that the Two Words thing has made.

Yeah...I'd just say ignore it TBH. Because there's so many inconsistencies with it like How did Shadow end up looking like a Mobian if he was made in the Human World, If there's 2 worlds why were G.U.N. on Sonic's world in Rush, How were Ancient Echidna ruins on Earth? 

It's seriously not worth bothering with if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’d be fine with Ian outright retconning those inconsistancies in fact. Make it so the comics version of Rush had no GUN appearances, for example.

32 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah...I'd just say ignore it TBH. Because there's so many inconsistencies with it like How did Shadow end up looking like a Mobian if he was made in the Human World, If there's 2 worlds why were G.U.N. on Sonic's world in Rush, How were Ancient Echidna ruins on Earth? 

Yeah just keep the small references like "you wanted to blow up a planet"

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I’d be fine with Ian outright retconning those inconsistancies in fact. Make it so the comics version of Rush had no GUN appearances, for example.

Can't take out the Ancient Echidnas in the Human world though.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

But the divide has apparently existed since Sonic Adventure, which wouldn't surprise me given its appearance in Sonic X. 

I don't believe that. 

Because several games exist in a space where it is assumed these things happen on a single planet. There might be characters whole arc tied to the idea that those planets were the same planet. What I do believe it was a vague idea that existed and they finally decided to actually make it a thing now. 

They idea grew in power in sonic team over the years and they finally decided to make it a thing. But I do believe that its some shit they was relevant in sonic adventure of existed beyond some vaugue idea. Because sonic adventure is a game that is written and shown like the planet sonic is on, has been the sameplanet he's been on the whole time

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Can't take out the Ancient Echidnas in the Human world though.

You could TBH

Now explaining why angel island was in the human world, is another explanation.

You could say the burst of Chaos energy that made Angel Island float into the sky also Chaos Control’d it to Sonic’s world or something.

Though then there’s explaining why it’s suddenly back in the human world by SA1.

I've been out of the Sonic loop for a while, but from what I'm seeing here the Kings of Storytelling at Sonic Team have decided that rather than furries living on one island and humans living on the other, they should be two completely different planets/dimensions with an unknown connection or location relative to each other that Sonic just happens to drift between at random.

Sounds about right for ol' Sonic Team.  I wonder if Ian can just ignore or fix that up.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Actually, Ian has stated we will be visiting Earth, and we will meet other humans. In fact, he might try to address inconsistencies that the Two Words thing has made. However, he wants to at least have some focus on the plot we're on first.

Good luck with that.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

But the divide has apparently existed since Sonic Adventure, which wouldn't surprise me given its appearance in Sonic X. 

Sonic Adventure One has Mesoamerican Echidnas be in train distance of Station Square. Sonic Adventure 2 hints Gerald knew about them and modeled the Biolizard's chamber after the Master Emerald's altar. Nobody among the humans finds a talking hedgehog odd.

Also, Sonic X did a sloppy job addressing how Eggman could be around in Sonic's world yet come from Earth with Gerald as his grandfather. Season 3 even introduced another planet with humans, which makes me wonder if they did realize how awkward the Two Dimensions situation but were in too deep to do it otherwise.

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Was it literal though? I remember Yuji Naka saying that Sonic just left the islands and started going to human places.

Sonic was planned to have Madonna as his ladyfriend and Man of the Year happens in a city filled with humans. Let alone the signs of humanity in the Genesis games. There's no doubt Naka never saw Sonic living in another world away from humanity, considering how plenty of Western cartoons like Loony Tunes (which played a MAJOR role in inspiration for Sonic) had humans and anthros share one world.

41 minutes ago, Almar said:

Sonic was planned to have Madonna as his ladyfriend and Man of the Year happens in a city filled with humans. Let alone the signs of humanity in the Genesis games. There's no doubt Naka never saw Sonic living in another world away from humanity, considering how plenty of Western cartoons like Loony Tunes (which played a MAJOR role in inspiration for Sonic) had humans and anthros share one world.

Yeah. In an interview, Naka said that all the Sonic games are set on Earth.

Rough translation from the thread:

"Sonic initially had critters and robots but Sonic Adventure have introduced humans suddenly. Why have you decided to add them?"

Action in Sonic's universe unfolded on Christmas Island from the very beginning, and accidentally things have happened the way there were only animals and robots in there. And later when Sonic made it to usual mega polis in Adventure, that's where he met humans.

"But is this island located on Earth or this is some kind of another planet anyway?"

On Earth. It actually exists, Americans (and also Englishmen - magazine) are having nuclear weapon testing there. Actually, this is exactly why we've populated it with robots and strange animals. *laughs*

I think folks are paying too much attention to the nitty-gritty because the two-worlds thing has been around since Sonic Adventure; we just didn’t know it. 

-Ian Flynn

I don't want to think he lied, but it just doesn't add up..

When the reboot happened in the old comic, had I known about the two-worlds things, that’s where we would have been to begin with because that’s the standard the game set, that is what they have. The whole reason why we got away with it being just one planet is because we never really specified where we were when we were getting those scripts approved.

And wouldn't two worlds be written in a guideline or "bible" or something that Archie would've been given? It seems like he found out about the same time fans did. The first time it was mentioned by Iizuka in 2010, and the reboot began in 2013.  If this has literally just always been the case, then it's apparently not something Sega particularly cared to enforce.

53 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In that case we have two options:
1. Ian lied to us. If so, why? He doesn't seem like the type of person to do that...
2. SEGA lied to Ian. If this is true, it shows just how scummy they are.

Or Naka doesn't work at Sega anymore and things changed.

I mean, it doesn't make it less stupid, but I don't think there's any, er, malice involved.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm pretty sure there was no "lying," just some miscommunication (or misunderstandings, or whatever you want to call it). Nothing new for SEGA, really.

Also worth noting that Naka's idea may not have been the one considered by others on the team. It happens. Like I'm sure not everyone who works on Mario agrees with Miyamoto's interpretations, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know, it  occurs to me that the Two Worlds thing is a handy way of explaining Unleashed and Forces favoring one species over the other.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

You could say the burst of Chaos energy that made Angel Island float into the sky also Chaos Control’d it to Sonic’s world or something.

Though then there’s explaining why it’s suddenly back in the human world by SA1.

They were once the same world before space-time sheningans split them apart from some lingering remnants of portals and certain locations between them.

Angel Island was a stable holdover of this thanks to being a location uniquely affected/created by the Emerald's power, causing it to gradually travel across the two worlds.

It's also worth noting that Rush 'explicitly' featured Dr. Nega plan causing the dimensions to blur and gradually start to fuse. Therefore, it's entirely possible that this caused a stray GUN carrier or two to get caught up and be possibly overridden by Nega.

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Season 3 even introduced another planet with humans, which makes me wonder if they did realize how awkward the Two Dimensions situation but were in too deep to do it otherwise.

giphy.webp

Sega sees there being a human world and an animal world in the games. I doubt it was decided when SA1 was released but likely was adopted at some point after the release of Sonic X. Sega are notorious about not providing material or information like that to third parties like Archie and likely IDW, which are given a lot of freedom so long as they don't directly fly in the face of their plans.

Archie was allowed a single world post-reboot because so long as it wasn't spelled out it didn't impact how the games portray the worlds. They weren't allowed to call the planet Mobius because Sega isn't using that term right now. Ian is likely going with two worlds because that's Sega's current stance on the matter and doesn't want to be forced to change things later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's something you guys keep forgetting about Naka's word; he was only the producer for Adventure, not the director. 

Guess who was the director though. 

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

-Ian Flynn

And wouldn't two worlds be written in a guideline or "bible" or something that Archie would've been given? It seems like he found out about the same time fans did. The first time it was mentioned by Iizuka in 2010, and the reboot began in 2013.  If this has literally just always been the case, then it's apparently not something Sega particularly cared to enforce.

Notice that he said "We" there...

Plus, SEGA apparently considered Archie it's own can of worms even as the Reboot make a huge move towards having it be more or less the same as the games.

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Here's something you guys keep forgetting about Naka's word; he was only the producer for Adventure, not the director. 

Iizuka, we love youuuuuuuuu...

Also, I wonder, even though it's REALLY heavily based on the games (even more so than the Archie reboot), will the IDW continuity eventually branch off into it's own thing, like Archie did, or will SEGA keep a tight leash on it and only uses it as a game tie-in material? 

I’d really rather not have the comic just turn into what the Sonic X comic was.

(That is, a comic that exists purely to be a companion to the thing on which it’s based and is unallowed to deviate from)

• Thumbs Up 2

There were Echidna ruins within train distance of a human city. And 06 had Silver live in a post-apocalyptic version of a human ruled kingdom. The evidence that Two Worlds predates Unleashed is really shaky.

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Adventure hardly had evidence that Sonic came from another world. And Naka is one of Sonic's Founding Fathers. No Iizuka.

47 minutes ago, Razule said:

-Ian Flynn

Ok , lets have a good ol' fashioned talk about personal interests and comic book writing. 

Ian flynn isn't a liar, however he does have personal interests in this comic. One of them being... he genuinely likes writing sonic. Two, he likes having another source of income, both of those are threatened if he comes out at the beginning of the book saying. " Yo sega just made up some dumbass rules about two worlds or some shit , and it made like a bunch of the games stories complicated and fucking weird, and  also now classic sonic is confirmed to be from another reality and that's also weird.". I would present that maybe this comic's story might not be all together or the people who are behind the franchise arent competent enough to make a good story and makes people a bit less likely to buy the book. No to mention if he talks hot trash about the people giving him this opportunity, he might not have an opportunity or future opportunities. So while he's not telling the truth, Ian flynn isn't a liar the man has personal interests you kinda have come to terms with sometimes he's gonna spout bullshit because he likes his job. The same thing with a community manager, it happens. 

You aren't gonna see a marvel writer just go off on twitter like " Man, I was writing this story and then marvel just made up the marvel shits itself event, and that one character I like shat themselves to death because thanos used the brownstone and now my story is all fucked up and I have to stop my story to write and event comic ah, this is shitty literally and figuratively" folks would be upset. You might be like, " why can't they take criticism better " I don't know and agree they should , but that's how it works gotta listen to your boss. And if your boss decides that some shit is now different for some arbitrary reason to push some shit that makes years of stories and the world make less sense, that's it. You gotta figure it out and tell everyone its gonna be alright. Or sneak shit in like the mario galaxy guys. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

20 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Iizuka, we love youuuuuuuuu...

Also, I wonder, even though it's REALLY heavily based on the games (even more so than the Archie reboot), will the IDW continuity eventually branch off into it's own thing, like Archie did, or will SEGA keep a tight leash on it and only uses it as a game tie-in material? 

We already know it will branch off. Games as a base, spin-off from there. But since IDW comics start off at a point in the series there's far more material to jump off of in comparison to earlier, the line between "it's own thing" and the games will be blurrier. Like, I can't imagine this ever quite becoming it's own beast of lore like the earlier comics. I guess it's too early to tell though.