Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, DabigRG said:

Really now? Those are the issue numbers you meant to say...?

How so?

My biggest problem with issue 3 is that Knuckles felt painfully one dimensional to me. I didn't get any feeling of of his rivalry with Sonic, none of his boasting, or really anything beyond he punches things. Issue 3 was another that fell flat to me and Knuckles characterization (or lack thereof) is part of the reason. In contrast, issue 4 provided a sense of urgency, brought in Blaze with an introduction that while arguably forced was addressed in a way that was entertaining, and Tangle was a ball of genuine in over her head zaniness that provided a very entertaining audience surrogate angle for me. Tangle alone pretty much washed away the bad taste that issue 3 left me with and having the rest of the issue hit it's beat plus showing how someone new to it all would react in an entertaining manner just struck all the right notes for me. 

I hope that clarifies things at least a little bit. My initial wording was perhaps a little confusing (honestly that whole post is full of spelling and grammatical errors) so I hope this helps. Or to simplify further, issues 3 and 6, have left me with a bad taste, but since issue 4 washed that bad taste away I'm hoping issue 7 does the same. If there's any real problem with that hope is that issue 4 came out a week later whereas I'll be dwelling on 6 for a month if I don't just push it out of my mind.

10 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

On the side, Flynn4Sonic is a recent thing on twitter, started by Ian himself. Maybe we have a chance

Yeah, but remember, SEGA isn't that good into making decisions that help them.

But will we keep him in the comics if he ever works on the games? And what if the story's great but the gameplay fucking sucks? (like Sonic 06).

We need dedicated adventure fan developpers (like Hero engine on youtube).

It's a double edged sword.

14 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

On the side, Flynn4Sonic is a recent thing on twitter, started by Ian himself. Maybe we have a chance

Sega: Flynn Gets to write for a sonic game 

Fans: YEAH

Sega: The sonic the movie tie in game!

Fans: This looks like trash and we don't want to buy it 

Sega: Guess the fans didn't like flynn after all

If we want Flynn4Sonic, we also want Hero4Sonic (the 3D Taxman) (logically). Use these two hashtags together because we don't only want a great  story, but also a great Adventure-style gameplay!

Do we really want a great story with worthless boost gameplay? A gameplay that is good for nothing? No, so we also need #Hero4Sonic (here's his 3D engine video:

We don't want Flynn associated with garbage boost2win pseudo-gameplay! We want Flynn associated with great Adventure-style gameplay because he's above games where stories depend on levels!!

I like to imagine having a game better than SA1 (the best 3D Sonic game), Hero's engine plus Flynn's writing can provide that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

My biggest problem with issue 3 is that Knuckles felt painfully one dimensional to me. I didn't get any feeling of of his rivalry with Sonic, none of his boasting, or really anything beyond he punches things. Issue 3 was another that fell flat to me and Knuckles characterization (or lack thereof) is part of the reason. In contrast, issue 4 provided a sense of urgency, brought in Blaze with an introduction that while arguably forced was addressed in a way that was entertaining, and Tangle was a ball of genuine in over her head zaniness that provided a very entertaining audience surrogate angle for me. Tangle alone pretty much washed away the bad taste that issue 3 left me with and having the rest of the issue hit it's beat plus showing how someone new to it all would react in an entertaining manner just struck all the right notes for me. 

I hope that clarifies things at least a little bit. My initial wording was perhaps a little confusing (honestly that whole post is full of spelling and grammatical errors) so I hope this helps. Or to simplify further, issues 3 and 6, have left me with a bad taste, but since issue 4 washed that bad taste away I'm hoping issue 7 does the same. If there's any real problem with that hope is that issue 4 came out a week later whereas I'll be dwelling on 6 for a month if I don't just push it out of my mind.

Oh. I misunderstood the issue numbers, even if my confusion still applied.

I will say that while I still liked Issue 3 as sort of expected, it was still somewhere between okay and good-ish. Primarily because, as lax mentioned, it indeed felt a tad rushed and like it needed another 2 pages to make satisfactory use of what it had to work with. 

By contrast, Issue 4 was actually a contender for weakest issue before 6 came out, notable since it's probably the only issue I recall only reading(or rather skimming) once and never touched again as of recent(though it's timing was probably a minor factor in that).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

If we want Flynn4Sonic, we also want Hero4Sonic (the 3D Taxman) (logically). Use these two hashtags together because we don't only want a great  story, but also a great Adventure-style gameplay!

Do we really want a great story with worthless boost gameplay? A gameplay that is good for nothing? No, so we also need #Hero4Sonic (here's his 3D engine video:

We don't want Flynn associated with garbage boost2win pseudo-gameplay! We want Flynn associated with great Adventure-style gameplay because he's above games where stories depend on levels!!

I like to imagine having a game better than SA1 (the best 3D Sonic game), Hero's engine plus Flynn's writing can provide that.

On the one hand I do think that looks pretty good. On the other please don't say "We" like that. Some of us like the "Garbage" Boost Engine.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

If these fan engine makers want to work for SEGA they can develop a repertoire and approach them themselves. Taxman didn't make those remakes because of a Twitter hashtag.

• Thumbs Up 3

Finally got around to reading issue 6.

Let me just say, I kind of saw it coming. A little disappointed that this is what it was building up to. It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team, but it doesn't really excuse the poor execution of the reveal. I won't stop reading the comics because I still enjoy it, but I do hope that the next issues are better than this one (hoping Silver's introduction goes smoothly, or I will be really unhappy, lol).

Also, on the subject of SEGA, please let these writers get creative with these characters; I don't like when Sonic characters come off one-dimensional. I get they're cartoon animal people, but still . . . a little fun needs to be had here. x3;

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh. I misunderstood the issue numbers, even if my confusion still applied.

I will say that while I still liked Issue 3 as sort of expected, it was still somewhere between okay and good-ish. Primarily because, as lax mentioned, it indeed felt a tad rushed and like it needed another 2 pages to make satisfactory use of what it had to work with. 

By contrast, Issue 4 was actually a contender for weakest issue before 6 came out, notable since it's probably the only issue I recall only reading(or rather skimming) once and never touched again as of recent(though it's timing was probably a minor factor in that).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Hey, glad to clarify. 

And on the difference in our opinions, where as 4 is the least revisited by you it is actually the second most for me after issue 2. To an extent I wonder if part of that has more to do with 2 and 4 exceeding my expectations whereas 3 and 6 came up short. Always fun how our expectations can paint very different reactions to what we are presented.

3 hours ago, BlossomHaze said:

It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team,

Also, on the subject of SEGA, please let these writers get creative with these characters; I don't like when Sonic characters come off one-dimensional. I get they're cartoon animal people, but still . . . a little fun needs to be had here. x3;

That's something I've been quietly concerned about as well.

And I'm not really one of those fans who are visceral about mandates.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

And on the difference in our opinions, where as 4 is the least revisited by you it is actually the second most for me after issue 2. To an extent I wonder if part of that has more to do with 2 and 4 exceeding my expectations whereas 3 and 6 came up short. Always fun how our expectations can paint very different reactions to what we are presented.

More than likely the case.

Oh, and yes, Issue 2 may be the second most read for me too. Partly because it went a step beyond and ended up being the best one so far.

To be fair, I've only really reread IDW issues within the month/week they came out, so it was only really notable by comparison. I've considered changing that overall since I asked my ranking question.

4 hours ago, BlossomHaze said:

Finally got around to reading issue 6.

Let me just say, I kind of saw it coming. A little disappointed that this is what it was building up to. It's possible that SEGA was keeping a leash on the team, but it doesn't really excuse the poor execution of the reveal. I won't stop reading the comics because I still enjoy it, but I do hope that the next issues are better than this one (hoping Silver's introduction goes smoothly, or I will be really unhappy, lol).

Ian said that there's more to it than meets the eye in a tweet that was already posted here, and we shouldn't take the ending of 6 at face value.  Also, I think SEGA is being looser here in terms of characters, as it introduces more moral conflicts and the characters are becoming less one dimensional as time goes on. However, it might be a bit before they go into actual character development, because they need to set up more of an actual conflict. They also let Ian rerail characters like Tails and while it isn't perfect, I feel as if it's starting to form into its own thing, sort of like Archie Sonic did. I do imagine it will be much shorter to get to that point, though.

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I hope we see Super Sonic at the end of year 1!!

I doubt it. We'll most likely see him when a milestone issue happens, like issue 15 or 25 or somewhere around that.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian said that there's more to it than meets the eye in a tweet that was already posted here, and we shouldn't take the ending of 6 at face value.  Also, I think SEGA is being looser here in terms of characters, as it introduces more moral conflicts and the characters are becoming less one dimensional as time goes on. However, it might be a bit before they go into actual character development, because they need to set up more of an actual conflict. They also let Ian rerail characters like Tails and while it isn't perfect, I feel as if it's starting to form into its own thing, sort of like Archie Sonic did. I do imagine it will be much shorter to get to that point, though.

Oh, that makes sense then. I've been on and off the internet for a week (vacation, yay!) so I may have missed a whole lot. Like I said, I'm not gonna stop reading the comic; I looked forward to it since the cancellation of Archie. The ending just made me scratch my head is all. Though, that was probably the point!

Honestly, my one problem with the ending(s) is that it didn't really feel like an ending. More like a sudden stop.

tumblr_paz8q74wjw1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

My only nitpick with this issue is that in the one panel where Mr. Tinker shows off "Eggmanland", the font on the banner looks completely off.

They could have at least curved the text and changed the perspective on it.

46 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_paz8q74wjw1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

My only nitpick with this issue is that in the one panel where Mr. Tinker shows off "Eggmanland", the font on the banner looks completely off.

They could have at least curved the text and changed the perspective on it.

I got to see the raw page when Tracey was selling it, and he actually drew the logo on himself initially (and it looked fine). I don’t know why they felt the need to change it.

While we're on the subject of Yardley's art being affected after he's done the art, I have to get this off my chest; the inking style IDW are currently using with Yardley just does not complement his style at all. Images that look fine in raw form have a tendency to look weird in the final product. 

Just noticed Sonic said "an" entire planet instead of "our" planet, or "the" planet:

image.png.7473b41991da93ef79f18b935eb3eee4.png

Subtle nod to two worlds? Purposeful wording for plausible denial?

Ian Flynn has to write with Sonic Mandates in mind. I have no doubt that's hinting at Two Worlds without flat-out yelling the Adventures happened on another planet.

Ok cool

So like after this story over , I guess team dark wont be around often because they kind of have no reason to stay on this planet. Like blaze, n junk

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Just noticed Sonic said "an" entire planet instead of "our" planet, or "the" planet:

image.png.7473b41991da93ef79f18b935eb3eee4.png

Subtle nod to two worlds? Purposeful wording for plausible denial?

Haven't read the issue yet, but just reading that panel, I interpret it as Sonic being more objective.

"an entire planet" sounds less personal and more...statistical? What's the word?? 

""You almost detroyed MY/THIS/THAT house" sounds more specific and accusing, while "you almost destroyed A house" sounds like "you are dangerous/capable enough to destroy a single house,"

....yeah I dunno. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Ian Flynn has to write with Sonic Mandates in mind. I have no doubt that's hinting at Two Worlds without flat-out yelling the Adventures happened on another planet.

I hope they keep it that way and never address the two worlds ever.