Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

That Reveal Fake Out sucks.

Spoiler

I know it's likely not the real Eggman, but that reveal was beyond predictable. 

Though it's interesting. In Sonic Forces, wasn't the last Phantom Ruby used by The Buddy? So are there more Phantom Rubies to use or are we dealing with a Fake Eggman in the form of Metal or Nega? 

Also, I know they rewrote the events of the games for the books' universe but I'm pretty iffy on them acknowledging the Black Arms. But that's a minor nitpick if anything. I'm not too big a fan of bringing back the Black Arms in any capacity just because they're an edgy version of King Greedy's Armada. 

Oh and as long as Sonic has alien friends, maybe the next time Sonic has a space adventure he teams up with Ristar. Just a thought, you know. It's not like he'd be out of place. It's not like Sega's doing anything with Ristar anyways. (I know that was the logic of Ray and Mighty being in Archie before Mania Plus happened, I'm just kind of wondering why Sega gatekeeps a lot of their stuff from meeting its full potential under good storytellers.)

• Fist Bump 1

You know, i wonder how rigorous this Classic/Modern split is.

In mere six issues Sonic referenced almost every main modern tittle (expect 06, but it got time-wiped) and yet not a single scene from classic games (one off-hand mention of Death Egg in #5).

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but usually they aren't that reserved about classic era. I'm not complaining, I just find that curious.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

In mere six issues Sonic referenced almost every main modern tittle (expect 06, but it got time-wiped) and yet not a single scene from classic games (one off-hand mention of Death Egg in #5).

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but usually they aren't that reserved about classic era. I'm not complaining, I just find that curious.

Some of the Badniks that have appeared debuted in the Classic Triology, CD, and Knuckles Chaotix.

15 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some of the Badniks that have appeared debuted in the Classic Triology, CD, and Knuckles Chaotix.

Well, badniks are something else.

It's like saying this spiky fast character is from classic games.

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I just read the issue and I really liked it. 

My girl Rouge, playing the people like the chessmaster she is. I got such delight when I saw the close up of her shifty eyes as she explained her part in this, appearing not as a sidekick for Shadow but as a moderator for the situation of her own volition. That's the kind of stuff that makes her one of the best. 

I really enjoy the way they're approaching this subject matter, honestly. Sonic's merciful attitude being pitted against Shadow's more hardline stance and way of doing things is something I'm grateful can still be pointed out every once in a while. It's nice just being reminded of why there is a conceptual difference between a Team Heroes and a Team Dark.

That said, I don't feel like this is merely a matter of pure right and wrong. There's an argument to be had on both sides and the comic doesn't ignore either of them, thankfully. It settles into one but not without its own caveats either. Truthfully, this does feel like it got a touch more complicated too. I contemplated that the one in the chair was Eggman but trying to work out how it made sense wasn't pulling much of a result from me. Now that it's been revealed, I'm loving that there's no immediate, obvious answer coming to mind still. 

I don't foresee things ending well for "Mr. Tinker" though. Everything seems to be going great for "Eggman" however. What that means, I don't even know but that honestly feels great.

You know she would still die for Shadow and if Shadow decides to call the shots, she listens and is subordinate. She's his Tails.

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

My girl Rouge, playing the people like the chessmaster she is. I got such delight when I saw the close up of her shifty eyes as she explained her part in this, appearing not as a sidekick for Shadow but as a moderator for the situation of her own volition. That's the kind of stuff that makes her one of the best.

A small, but awesome moment for her. It's nice to know that Rouge knows when to step back take care of Shadow's behavior. As much as I griped her doing little, she actually helped stopped Mr. Tinker from being killed. 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

A small, but awesome moment for her. It's nice to know that Rouge knows when to step back take care of Shadow's behavior. As much as I griped her doing little, she actually helped stopped Mr. Tinker from being killed. 

In forces she kinda helped Shadow kill Infinites team by pinpointing their location, do you believe she helps kill enemies with Shadow on her own free will or because Shadow desires to kill and she lets him?

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I mean it might be that the Modern games are Y'know Relevant.

25 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

In forces she kinda helped Shadow kill Infinites team by pinpointing their location, do you believe she helps kill enemies with Shadow on her own free will or because Shadow desires to kill and she lets him?

Well, I'm pretty sure she didn't want them to die. There isn't concrete evidence for your statement, so I respectfully disagree with it.

26 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Well, I'm pretty sure she didn't want them to die. There isn't concrete evidence for your statement, so I respectfully disagree with it.

Really, when was that?

12 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Really, when was that?

It's only a hunch, but there isn't any case in the games where she wanted people dead.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It's only a hunch, but there isn't any case in the games where she wanted people dead.

Didnt she show degrees of bloodlust against Eggman in Heroes, she also supported Omega in fufilling his Revenge against Eggman? She's definitely has no qualms with working with murdering team mates and has expressed wanted eggmans comeuppance before.

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Real Talk, why are some people saying Shadow is copying Knuckles, when Knuckles is the one more likely to give Eggman a second chance whether he's lost his memories or not?

Probably because of a somewhat easy shorthand.

Knuckles was supposed to be Sonic's Rival in his inception, debuted by being tricked by Eggman into pranking Sonic throughout the game, and was recharacterized in Adventure 1 to make the contrast between them even more clear. Shadow was later introduced and billed as a Dark rival for Sonic with a similarly stoic and driven by past duty persona, essentially giving Sonic two rivals of similar portrayal.

While Heroes onward made efforts to rerail and/or reconcile Knuckles' character to be less redundant next to the new kid, it's not uncommon for the two to be compared and contrasted.

2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Just want to point out

There is no confirmation shadow killed anyone in forces. 

They literally are last minute characters they added to try an add more depth to infnite, and the reason they don't show is more likely they do not have models and less shadow killed them. Because infinite in all of his rage doesn't mention them, once.  It is very clear they existed because someone drew them and sega might not ever acknowledge them in any formal capacity 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

You know she would still die for Shadow and if Shadow decides to call the shots, she listens and is subordinate. She's his Tails.

You know you can still be friends with someone and not be their tethered puppet on a string right? 

So no, none of what you just said has to happen. It only does if it's written that way and  if it ever happens in a manner that's unacceptable and not understandable when it comes to the situation at hand, I'll call bullshit. Because, she's actually not his Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

You know you can still be friends with someone and not be their tethered puppet on a string right? 

So no, none of what you just said has to happen. It only does if it's written that way and  if it ever happens in a manner that's unacceptable and not understandable when it comes to the situation at hand, I'll call bullshit. Because, she's actually not his Tails. 

And even then Tails isn't Sonic's subordinate. He's his friend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The fact he uses the word "Subordinate" to describe Rouge's relationship with Shadow bothers me. 

There's no Hierarchy in play. Team Dark has never been played that way in any appearance and the fact Dash acts like Rouge and Omega are Shadow's servants honestly makes me believe he really doesn't know what he's talking about. 

And if there was a Hierarchy than Shadow and Omega would work for Rouge since she started Team Dark in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

More merch!

Da foq? 

Does IDW do this type of thing often?

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Just want to point out

They literally are last minute characters they added to try an add more depth to infnite, and the reason they don't show is more likely they do not have models and less shadow killed them. Because infinite in all of his rage doesn't mention them, once.  It is very clear they existed because someone drew them and sega might not ever acknowledge them in any formal capacity 

Okay, but have you considered that it's Shadow?

Which is weird, considering they don't look that much different from Infinite(or Tails) himself.

latest?cb=20171111055754

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Because, she's actually not his Tails. 

Yeah--she's his Nails.

59 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

And if there was a Hierarchy than Shadow and Omega would work for Rouge since she started Team Dark in the first place. 

Pretty much.

She's also the one with the connections and ties to GUN, which the other two generally collaborate with, but mainly just do their own thing. Especially Omega.

34 minutes ago, Zulon Eredas said:

It's obviously Mama Robotnik in disguise

DuuUUUBZ!

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Just want to point out

The Japanese dub had Infinites dialogue of them being neutralized by Shadow. He also killed humans in the Japanese version of Shth.

37 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

The Japanese dub had Infinites dialogue of them being neutralized by Shadow. He also killed humans in the Japanese version of Shth.

You know Neutralize doesn't mean kill, it means to disarm to render harmless. 

If you come at me with a knife, and I disarm and hold you down, I have neutralized you. 

Shadow's game is a tricky situation, because I can't tell you that the level to level stuff is canon or not canon. But what I can tell you is that the game kinda implies in the final ending with everyone there that shadow had helped everyone for them to be there. And they were brought there together. Even eggman, which implies that the nuetral ending also happened before the main ending.

So according to the final ending, the most violent he actually got towards any human target is "ignoring them to find the chaos emerald " 

I'm not saying shadow doesn't kill, i'm saying shadow doesn't really bother with goons. Again, he didn't bother to kill infinite, why would he bother to kill the rest of the goons

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, but have you considered that it's Shadow?

Shadow will murder dudes, but it kind of has to be earned I guess. While I have made my issues with his fury here  quite clear, eggman is...eggman and while I think shadow should be at least more reasonable. Shadow wanting to kill eggman makes sense. 

A bunch of goons, shadow doesn't really care that much. Also , again, why did he specifically leave infinite alive. Usually when you leave the one guy alive its to tell other goons and higher ups to not mess with this guy. But there are no more goons, there are no more higher ups than eggman, and eggman already knows not to mess with shadow. 

There's no reason for shadow to just murder these dudes and he probably didn't. These characters probably don't exist outside of reference at this point, no model no nothing and that's why you didn't see them. And depending on how infinite is handled, you may actually never see them. Much like shadow vanishing during half the plot or what the details of sonic's " torture " were for 7 months, you might never know or in this case see those characters and they will never be explained

17 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

You know Neutralize doesn't mean kill, it means to disarm to render harmless. 

If you come at me with a knife, and I disarm and hold you down, I have neutralized you. 

Fair enough, I suppose.

Granted, there is a middle area for that detail, but again, it would probably depend on if they referenced again.

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Fair enough, I suppose.

Granted, there is a middle area for that detail, but again, it would probably depend on if they referenced again.

If it comes out that he did kill them i'll take the L

Just seemed weird, and super convenient that the one guy he didn't kill he only kicked like 3 times. Shadow wasn't angry , just on a mission. Who gave him that mission might be another question that might never be answered.