Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

No, you can't have anything cool. 

Well, I mean, I realized this eight years ago. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

This thread has kinda turned into people borderline shitposting about games and tones they llike less than others, but I'm pretty sure a lot of us would agree most Sonic games aren't really worth much story wise, so why argue about it? Seriously, It's like fighting over who deserves 11th place in Mario Kart.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Diogenes said:

I do, actually, when it's not shit. Problem is that a lot of it has been shit, and a lot of people's suggestions for "fixing" it sound a lot like going back to what made it shit.

Nice to see you have such a nice opinion on what most people here say lol. I don't like your aptitude. You think too highly of yourself and look down on others, and then your friends just further enable your opinions and also this outlook you have "This series, which has been shit for over 90% of the time and of which I can barely say anything positive about is exactly the thing I will dedicate my time to talk about" just doesn't rub me well. But i'm making this too personal I guess. I'm just saying, I don't exactly disagree with you but should probably say what you like of the Sonic games so people can understand you better. Because you come across as someone who really hates Sonic...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Well, I mean, I realized this eight years ago. xP

"You remember when sonic cool, that shit never happened. We off brand Mario now, look at our jokes, look at us point towards the cemera. This is what sonic has always been"

" but i'm watching the sonic ova right now and its pretty cool. Played sonic adventure 2 the other day, that was also cool.  " 

" Your fired" 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Josh said:

This thread has kinda turned into people borderline shitposting about games and tones they llike less than others, but I'm pretty sure a lot of us would agree most Sonic games aren't really worth much story wise, so why argue about it? Seriously, It's like fighting over who deserves 11th place in Mario Kart.

I don't want to be stuck with 12th place writing tho'. If I'm gonna continue keeping up with this franchise I'd at least like something that piques my interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I would argue it wouldn't?

Story telling, at least effectively a lot of the times is show not tell, and in video game where showing usually equals playing, their efforts much like generations would at least from what I would imagine would see paramount to much of nothing. You can tell me knuckles did this, but unless you show me knuckles doing it or make me participate via gameplay of said doing of thing. It doesn't really mean much , yeah telling me works for an eventual lore discussion but that isn't really the coolest thing in the world. And given there are extremely capable characters on the roster, it just devalues them as a whole. Why are they even , there at this point?

Its like the end of generations, there are 3 people in the room, who aren't sonic, who could have just gone super, one with time powers who could have just chaos controlled the damn thing. Why didn't they do anything? They are capable of doing something, if they aren't doing anything. Why are they here? All you are doing is making them look useless.  And if that's your intent, why try and make them look valuable in the first place, if they are in fact useless. 

I get what you're saying and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd love to see the characters do things and matter to the plot. The game is trying, and I mean really trying, to emphasize the "resistance" and the "forces of good" versus the "force of evil", and if the Forces of Good except Sonic and his younger self, do absolutely nothing, it'll be a huge disappointment to me. I want them to do more, and as an anniversary game, I expect them to do more, but unless some noteworthy changed happened between Lost World and now, then I don't expect much. I wish this weren't the case, but it sadly is. I think the interaction in the hub worlds seems like the most likely candidate here, which is something they did in Sonic Generations to an extent, just expand on that more. They will talk to you in stages, and depending on how it's implemented, that can go South really quick. I'd love for them to interact more and actually mean something to the story, but there's not much that's giving me hope for that to be the case. Maybe Shun can do something to help build the other characters or if that rumor of Ian Flynn writing the game is true, then I can expect a good story and actual use of the characters (I really freaking hope that rumor is true. Maybe even have the characters get some cutscenes for them to shine and do there thing. There's some much you can do but with Sega's play safe mindset these recent year, I can't really expect to see something ground breaking. And I don't really blame them for that. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe there are doing something grand, but I just don't know right now when we know so little.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe if sonic mania does well, we can get a cool sonic game, the next time there are a round of sonic games to be made. 

8 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I'm just saying, I have never seen them say a single positive thing about any character or story within the Sonic universe.

Well you have only been a member here for barely a month so...

• Thumbs Up 8

But Colors and Generations and the Boom games were written by the same people and I have seen you shit on that. 

Just now, Mayor D said:

Well you have only been a member here for barely a month so...

I can see a lot of things in a month.

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

I don't want to be stuck with 12th place writing tho'. If I'm gonna continue keeping up with this franchise I'd at least like something that piques my interest.

The hypothetical 11th place wouldn't be enough to satisfy me either so I guess this is just a little lost on me. 

Spoiler

Would be nice to see Blaze again tho

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Man you should've seen me when Lost World was new, I actually like the game's story, how it puts the focus on the series' main characters and explores their relationships under tension rather than focusing on some unrelated newcomers' story, and how it's willing to show them as flawed characters, characters who make mistakes, characters who get upset and sometimes make things worse.

Yeah such flaws, much character. High-point of the series writing right here. *sarcasm*

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

And so do I. Dang, lots of opinions here, innit?

Difference is Dio hasn't stooped to getting into a nigh-personal shitfit over your opinions, unless I missed something drastic. 

Like, I think we can all gather that Dio isn't fond of the series as it is now, but dang. Even if he were to have some brutal hatred of the series' current direction as it is, as long as he's not being as utterly obnoxious about the classics as that Pixel fella was (and c'mon, he ain't) then I don't see the issue innit.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Man you should've seen me when Lost World was new, I actually like the game's story, how it puts the focus on the series' main characters and explores their relationships under tension rather than focusing on some unrelated newcomers' story, and how it's willing to show them as flawed characters, characters who make mistakes, characters who get upset and sometimes make things worse.

Okay so what's wrong with doing that, but with more characters that Sonic, Tails and Eggman?

I do feel the scene from 06 is pretty much misinterpreted in a way and is one thing people are stuck on. It was poorly done, I will admit that.

1 minute ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

SO, SONIC FORCES

The main theme is good? I guess? No?

I love it personally. Feels straight out of an anime opening.

Just now, JosepMelloZSM said:

SO, SONIC FORCES

The main theme is good? I guess? No?

I'll admit I was surprised hearing it at first. Thinking it was Crush 40 but then it was revealed it wasn't. Maybe I was being cynical but I was expecting something silly like this again:

Regarding the Sonic 06 kiss since we're now talking about that for... some reason.

Yes it's true kissing someone to revive them is a fairy tale/story thing and that's probably what they were going for... only the problem is the following.

* The animation makes it look really cringe-worthy.

* The fact there are several cut-scenes/moments and dialogue which suggest Elise is actually IN LOVE with Sonic and doesn't just 'love' him as a best friend or some kind of hero worship.

* Back to the animation point, even when she has scenes with Amy where she flatout denies is, the voice acting/dialogue/animation is so bad it appears as if she's trying to hide a feeling of being in love.

* Even the trailer for the game makes the game out to be a romance.

It's not just the scene on it's own, but the whole build up towards it.

I can see a lot of things in a month.

Like this

A members entire post history? Holy shit!

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, DonWaffleleven said:

I'll admit I was surprised hearing it at first. Thinking it was Crush 40 but then it was revealed it wasn't. Maybe I was being cynical but I was expecting something silly like this again:

That feeling when you like Windy Hill's music :*) But I was expected something that wasn't as guitar heavy as the them actually is.

2 minutes ago, DonWaffleleven said:

I can't actually remember Sonic ever having an outright J-Pop OST. Guess the Sonic Riders OST's are the closet due to Runbe- whatever that guy was called, but that's a stretch. 

...that or you need to check the videos you're posting. ;) 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Like, I think we can all gather that Dio isn't fond of the series as it is now, but dang. Even if he were to have some brutal hatred of the series' current direction as it is, as long as he's not being as utterly obnoxious about the classics as that Pixel fella was (and c'mon, he ain't) then I don't see the issue innit.. 

It could be a lot worse Tracker I'll give you that. Boy those sega forums, they're a riot. This is a walk in the park in comparison.

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And then that got buried under "it's too kiddy I can't take it seriously they said baldy mcnosehair again everyone's an out of character jerk why isn't every other character here it's just copying mario" and eventually I decided the fight wasn't worth it.

that's what i loved about lost world as well. that it was finally a story where it was about sonic and tails and they were fighting in someone else's arc and the story was still focused on them. what sonic games should do. also we got to see that sonic and tails friendship isn't as perfect as other games present it and we got to see them get exasperated or upset with each other.

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

But Colors and Generations and the Boom games were written by the same people and I have seen you shit on that.

Colors' story is one I have mixed feelings for, because it had the most natural Sonic/Tails interactions the series had seen so far, and I appreciated the continued turn away from games like ShtH and '06. But ultimately its cutscenes end up mostly being filler, because the writers weren't given room to shape the story in any way, so all they could do is pitch cheap jokes. The ending also feels like it got hacked up and shuffled around suddenly, which doesn't help.

Generations' story just isn't good. Not offensively bad, but so paper thin that there's hardly enough to form an opinion on.

Boom is Boom. It's all pretty shit, regardless of who's writing it. Just a real debacle of a subseries.

And it's not like I'm obligated to like everything from a particular writing team in the first place, so...???

Just now, DonWaffleleven said:

Yeah such flaws, much character. High-point of the series writing right here. *sarcasm*

Do you have an actual argument? Because just pointing to the game as if it's self evident isn't one.

• Thumbs Up 5