Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

41 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Well, Silver is pretty popular all things considered. But if they do try to make yet another male hedgehog with a name starting with S then yeah that's kinda silly. We have enough hedgehogs as it is.

Silk the hedgehog confirmed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Being honest I think this whole "No more new characters!" is a bunch of crappy hot air.

For all people scream about loathing the idea of more new characters in this franchise, the minute a new character comes out peoples high and mighty balls retract and they scream like little girls because it turns out it's actually good/refreshing to have new characters when done right ala Sticks from BOOM who, feel free to correct me, the majority pretty much love.

In the end new characters is always a good thing when done right and made memorable, be them one time appearances or not.

So...

The argument of new characters being bad and there being too many really is a pretty worthless one since when a new character comes that IS good people want more of it.

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

For all people scream about loathing the idea of more new characters in this franchise, the minute a new character comes out peoples high and mighty balls retract and they scream like little girls because it turns out it's actually good/refreshing to have new characters when done right ala Sticks from BOOM who, feel free to correct me, the majority pretty much love.

This isn't true. Some people might be won over by a new character sometimes, but the people complaining about the character glut by and large don't get super hyped over new characters. And Sticks is only modestly popular at best.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

This isn't true. Some people might be won over by a new character sometimes, but the people complaining about the character glut by and large don't get super hyped over new characters. And Sticks is only modestly popular at best.

The problem is likely more of a matter of poorly written characters by and large and an overabundance of new villains that suffer from this poor writing.

We don't really get that many new "hero" characters, and certainly very few that appear more than one time, the last being...

Wasn't it the Babylons from the Riders series?

If we could stop getting countless new villains with poor characterization that would help a lot I feel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I guess it depends. The D6 weren't very well received but Sticks was a lot more well received that them. But Sticks didn't take any particular spotlight nor does she come across as OP or anything like that. She's just a goofy badger.

31 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Well I guess it depends. The D6 weren't very well received but Sticks was a lot more well received that them. But Sticks didn't take any particular spotlight nor does she come across as OP or anything like that. She's just a goofy badger.

The Deadly Six weren't will received because they were were textbook clichés that didn't even get so much as an introduction and didn't get an ending either. Their personalities were bad guy, old guy, fat guy, sad guy, mad guy and girl. One second they were apparently existed, then they were a threat and then finally they (quite literally) disappeared into thin air. There was quite a bit of hype for the new villains when they were announced, but absolutely none of it came close to carrying through. 

Sticks had had a weak reception because she's a part of the Boom universe which is, let's be honest, not exactly roaring success. It's got its fans and the TV show is still doing alright. But the games have been a disaster so far. And beyond that, some people just don't like her as a character - myself included. The "lol so random and paranoid" crap never made me laugh even as a child, and I especially hate it these days. I don't think she's that widely hated, but she's not popular either. Perhaps down to being a Boom character, she's not even widely known and is therefore pretty niche. My guess is that she'd only get less popular of she showed up in the main series, because her presence can easily be taken as annoying and it would be especially bad if she was in a game with the poorly written scripts we've had as of late. And frankly, she'd fuck right off out of Boom if I had my say. She's the shittiest character since Chris Thorndyke.

I don't know what we can say about this supposed new character in Forces. Can someone direct me to the source where Iizuka confirmed it? In fact, could someone show me the "new gameplay" source too? These tiny bits of information often get skewed way out of context. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That sounds quite heated man. Have you ever given Sonic Booms a try? I admit her "paranoid conspiracy theorist" act gets very tiring at times but when she's not doing that she's pretty funny and cute. Which is indeed rare because she is almost always doing the paranoid thing. There could be ceirtainly better things they could do with her character but it isn't as bad as you make it seem. 

And if Sega really wanted to continue this "lighthearted kiddie like" route they have been using since Colors then I think it would be better for them to use the Boom staff rather that Pontaff. Guys like Alan Denton, Greg Hahn and Bill Freiberger. Because if the aim is comedy then those guys have written much funnier stuff that Pontaff tbh. But i'll rather they take another route anyway.

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

My guess is that she'd only get less popular of she showed up in the main series, because her presence can easily be taken as annoying and it would be especially bad if she was in a game with the poorly written scripts we've had as of late. And frankly, she'd fuck right off out of Boom if I had my say. She's the shittiest character since Chris Thorndyke.

Hohoo, No you. You can't compare a perfectly fine character like her to Chris and get away with it. =p

You can't seriously tell me she is worse then the Sonic Boom version of Knuckles AKA Buff Patrick and Sonic the lazy egotistical guy who laughs at his own unfunny jokes. And outside of Boom we have goody two shoes forces everybody to be her friend Cream and Amy the obsessive fan girl... Or any of the Deadly 6. Not everybody thinks paranoid characters are horrible, personally I think it can be quite cute... And Sticks just plain has a nice design.

I will admit her fan base is only around the level of Victor the crocodile at best. And I can't help but feel more then her personality the only reason she gets hate is because "Oh no she's from Sonic Boom!" and the fact she is a newer character... Many folks nowadays want to auto dislike new Sonic characters from what i've seen. Silver was hated a lot for years too for more or less similar reasons... Yet he has a pretty big-ish fan base now... even If I still don't like him myself... mostly his design.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Hohoo, No you. You can't compare a perfectly fine character like her to Chris and get away with it. =p

You can't seriously tell me she is worse then the Sonic Boom version of Knuckles AKA Buff Patrick and Sonic the lazy egotistical guy who laughs at his own unfunny jokes. And outside of Boom we have goody two shoes forces everybody to be her friend Cream and Amy the obsessive fan girl... Or any of the Deadly 6. Not everybody thinks paranoid characters are horrible, personally I think it can be quite cute... And Sticks just plain has a nice design.

I will admit her fan base is only around the level of Victor the crocodile at best. And I can't help but feel more then her personality the only reason she gets hate is because "Oh no she's from Sonic Boom!" and the fact she is a newer character... Many folks nowadays want to auto dislike new Sonic characters from what i've seen. Silver was hated a lot for years too for more or less similar reasons... Yet he has a pretty big-ish fan base now... even If I still don't like him myself... mostly his design.

Heeeeeeeeeey...

...I'm not that bad... lol

Anyways, it really seems to be a problem of over-saturation of new villains written badly causing problems more-so than the notions of new characters in general. If we could slack off on all the new enemies and especially the horrible writing/characterization by and large I think this notion of "new=terrible" would simmer down by a vast margin.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I just did tell you that she's worse than Buffles and Sports Tape, and compared her to Chris Thorndyke. Two special characters who being their unique own flavour of shit to the franchise. Sticks just happens to be the nutty variety. 

Just now, Blue Blood said:

I just did tell you that she's worse than Buffles and Sports Tape, and compared her to Chris Thorndyke. Two special characters who being their unique own flavour of shit to the franchise. Sticks just happens to be the nutty variety. 

Well have fun being wrong! You are free to not like her obviously, but It's silly to pretend that she is so awful that she has dirty up this franchise. I think Sticks is a lovely character and if she one day makes her way into the mainline games... even if just as a NPC/cut scene character.... I'll be a happy camper. ;0)

I like Sticks, while the paranoia shtick can be very typical at times; she does deliver some great jokes with it (Season 2 landed a lot of those jokes a lot more and were pretty hilarious) but there is more to her. She does have those natural survival instincts that she has learned after being in the wildness for so long and from an episode aired not too long ago, the reason she's been in the wild and is feral is because her great-great grandfather being kicked out of the village for being a corrupt politician and one can pick up the pieces that he had to live in the wild and became out of touch with civilization and yeah.

So I find it baffling to think Sticks is actually harmful to the series, granted I could see her being annoying to people, I get that. But she's far from a bad character, let alone be as bad as spoiled rich brat that leeches off other character's roles. Besides, we truly bad characters like come on, who honestly thought Mephiles was a good character? Guy's a fucking joke lmao.

buthekilledsonicthereforehe'sagoodvillain

• Thumbs Up 9

7 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Well have fun being wrong! You are free to not like her obviously, but It's silly to pretend that she is so awful that she has dirty up this franchise. I think Sticks is a lovely character and if she one day makes her way into the mainline games... even if just as a NPC/cut scene character.... I'll be a happy camper. ;0)

Did you just disagree with my opinion? My opinion? I guess I could tell you to have fun being wrong as well, cause you just pulled that out of your arse.

I don't like Sticks. And I don't think she'd go down too well with more exposure. I didn't say anything else, did I? Of course she has her fans. And like I said, she's not reviled like other characters might be. 

At least she's not the corny shit that Chris Thorndyke is. (Blame Indigo for that joke)

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Soni said:

Besides, we truly bad characters like come on, who honestly thought Mephiles was a good character? Guy's a fucking joke lmao.

buthekilledsonicthereforehe'sagoodvillain

I like Ian Flynn's theory that Time Eater is Mephiles. It both connects two characters to be a bigger threat, and actively fixes the plot hole of Crisis City being in Generations.

As for Sticks, she could use a bit more variety in her jokes, but she's not awful.

That said, keep her the FUCK AWAY from the main series. We have enough people failing to understand Boom's status as a side-continuity anyway, do we really think this will help? The main series already has too many characters than it knows what to do with, and adding Sticks would only make it worse! We shouldn't add more characters, we should focus on fixing the ones we have.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

keep her the FUCK AWAY from the main series. We have enough people failing to understand Boom's status as a side-continuity anyway, do we really think this will help? The main series already has too many characters than it knows what to do with, and adding Sticks would only make it worse! We shouldn't add more characters, we should focus on fixing the ones we have.

Well I only could see her getting in anytime soon if the idea floating around that Boom Sonic is the 3rd playable character ends up true. In which case she'll get in no matter what at that point.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like Sticks (though not as much as having an avatar of her might imply, that's just my best Sonic-relevant art from recently so considering this is a Sonic forum it's felt right to not bother changing it every time I draw something else I like).

HOWEVER she is very one-note - not entirely, but if you dislike that kind of one-note humour, you're not gonna stick around to see everything Boom has to offer when they do flesh out the characters a little.  I can't really imagine how they'd handle putting her into the main series without giving her something else to define her personality, as her place in Boom really does depend greatly on the fact that the other characters all know her and are used to her ways etc.  Other than that her personality is just... very Boom-ish, in the same way Eggman's penchant for observation humour and/or cranky-neighbour sort of personality being used in the games would be really weird despite that being his whole thing in Boom and it working for him fantastically there.  Sticks appearing in the main series with no changes would feel just the same.

• Thumbs Up 7

The characters we already have are not really "broken" is just that they have regressed in their development or just haven't been around enough to show us what made them enjoyable to begin with. Like say, Knuckles and Amy. Knuckles has regressed to be dumb, and Amy has regressed to being... Actually her character is kinda weird since Colors DS, Generations and Free Riders regressed her to be a one-dimensional lovestruck girl with nothing to her other that her love of Sonic and her temper. But then in Lost World she is back to being gentle and kind, and then the Lego Dimensions Sonic level shows her as being tired of her damsel shtick and wanting to be respected. She kinda sounds like an old lady in the lego game too lol.

Overall her direction is kinda strange and all over the place in the pontaff games. While Knuckles is a very straight line of dumb and more dumb.  At least in the Boom TV show they gave her a very nice balance of kindness, independannce but not too much "girl power" and nice but with a mean side for people that are bad. Shame that Knuckles is still pretty much just a dumb strong guy. I hope season 2 fleshes out his character a bit more. 

And of course I really hope Knuckles and Amy (since they are confirmed to be in Forces) actually get to do something in the game and their characters go back to what they were pre-pontaff. Adventure era Knuckles and Amy. Or if that can't be just no dumb brute Knuckles and one-note fangirl Amy please, anything but that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't feel strongly either way whether or not Sticks would be in. I feel like she'd be kind of out of place though.

34 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I get the feeling that they were just spitballing ideas for Sonic characters just to see what Sticks.

Reveal hidden contents

Jesus Christ

• Thumbs Up 5

52 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

And of course I really hope Knuckles and Amy (since they are confirmed to be in Forces) actually get to do something in the game and their characters go back to what they were pre-pontaff. Adventure era Knuckles and Amy. Or if that can't be just no dumb brute Knuckles and one-note fangirl Amy please, anything but that.

Amy before Generations wasn't any better than she is now. She's just as inconsistent in terms of characterization, trait focus is more flipped than ever.

Free Riders (Amy) = Sonic Battle (Amy)

Generations (Amy) < Sonic Riders (Amy)

Lost World (Amy) = Sonic Unleashed (Amy)

1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I like Ian Flynn's theory that Time Eater is Mephiles. It both connects two characters to be a bigger threat, and actively fixes the plot hole of Crisis City being in Generations.

As for Sticks, she could use a bit more variety in her jokes, but she's not awful.

That said, keep her the FUCK AWAY from the main series. We have enough people failing to understand Boom's status as a side-continuity anyway, do we really think this will help? The main series already has too many characters than it knows what to do with, and adding Sticks would only make it worse! We shouldn't add more characters, we should focus on fixing the ones we have.

Holy crap man... That's some strong emotion there...

31 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I don't feel strongly either way whether or not Sticks would be in. I feel like she'd be kind of out of place though.

Jesus Christ

What are we even posing in this thread now? lol

About Knuckles, make him serious when needed, but also don't forget that he is a goofball. Not dumb, just goofy.

Amy can be Sonic's stalker, but when things get serious she must get serious too. Also, no need for her to be an asshole to her friends.  (Better example not Battle and Free Riders Amy.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Amy before Generations wasn't any better than she is now. She's just as inconsistent in terms of characterization, trait focus is more flipped than ever.

Nah I think she's fairly easy to understand. She's a very energetic girl who is very friendly as long as you don't get on her bad side. And she loves Sonic a lot. I never really saw her as one dimensional like she was in Generations and Colors DS. And honestly I don't see what's so bad about her in Battle and Heroes (Everyone fights in those two games, it's not really exclusive to her). She was just very hyper and spirited but she was still pretty funny. I honestly think her only really bad portrayals are Free Riders and Generations.

Which is dissapointing of Free Riders since she was pretty okay in the Riders series (On that note I don't agree with what you said of Generations Amy being the same as Riders. Yeah they both flirted with Sonic a lot but in Riders she was still there to help and got really pissed at Wave for insulting Tails, the one in generations was just there to flirt and nothing else, but most of the characters in Generations were pretty useless and flat so whatever). But she's just a huge jerk in Free Riders, which I feel doesn't really suit her character.