Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, seriously.

As I subtley pointed out towards the end, for as flimsy and inconsistent as Tommy's characterization was throughout, one of the only consistent things was that he seemed to genuine respect Sonic's heroism on some level and made sure to credit/compliment him throughout. And then at the very end, he suddenly takes full credit for being Obliterator-bot and yet Amy describes Sonic as sharing the glory with Tommy? What the heck?! While I definitely get the feeling the final joke was just Dave being Dave(I think), it's still a weird, not very good note to end on.

Though another funny note, I'm having a bit of a time figuring out if rewatching this episode for the first time hinders or further helps my theory regarding Vector Detector's origins.

Yeah this show has a problem with inconsistent writing whether it's between episodes or within an episode itself.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And then at the very end, he suddenly takes full credit for being Obliterator-bot and yet Amy describes Sonic as sharing the glory with Tommy? What the heck?!

That part confused me as well.

30 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah this show has a problem with inconsistent writing whether it's between episodes or within an episode itself.

That part confused me as well.

What other episodes like this one come to mind? Cause while there are definitely episodes that shift focus partway through, I don't remember any being this sloppy about what it's ultimately trying to do.

48 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Indeed. If it had the tone of the Boom games/toys/Comic it would have been better.

Toys? :lol:

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What other episodes like this one come to mind? Cause while there are definitely episodes that shift focus partway through, I don't remember any being this sloppy about what it's ultimately trying to do.

Toys? :lol:

One that comes to mind seems to be the season 2 finale since the pacing and focus was apparently wobbly according to some people like @SpongicX And @Peppermint Ellipsis. The ending of Cabin Fever was another example of an almost good ending ruined by a forced and meanspirited attempt at humor that the show is plagued by.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

One that comes to mind seems to be the season 2 finale since the pacing was apparently wobbly according to some people like @SpongicX And @Peppermint Ellipsis. Also, the ending of Cabin Fever was another example of an almost good ending ruined by a forced and meanspirited attempt at humor that the show is plagued by.

Oh yeah, Shadow suddenly wanting to blow up the universes and then just kinda rolling with the interrupting result did kinda come out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, I forgot Cabin Fever was a thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, Shadow suddenly wanting to blow up the universes and then just kinda rolling with the interrupting result did kinda come out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, I forgot Cabin Fever was a thing.

It definitely worsened his already bad characterization. 

For Cabin Fever, there's also the characters suddenly turning on each other without an explanation. 

11 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

For Cabin Fever, there's also the characters suddenly turning on each other without an explanation. 

To be fair, I think that was catalyzed by Amy's less than flattering caricatures of everyone and it just kinda snowballed from there.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, I think that was caused by Amy's less than flattering caricatures of everyone.

I mean I would think this would cause her friends to be just angry with her rather than each other. That's another thing I don't like about the episode is that she essentially doesn't realize why her caricatures are wrong.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

I mean I would think this would cause her friends to be angry against her. That's another thing I don't like about the episode is that she essentially doesn't realize why her caricatures are wrong.

True. Though to be fair, I think only Knuckles and Tails were really offensive and Knuckles kinda deserved it at that point.

Just now, DabigRG said:

True. Though to be fair, I think only Knuckles and Tails were really offensive and Knuckles kinda deserved it at that point.

Yeah, he did break her unicorn and wasn't really sorry about it. I think Sonic was also offended and rightfully called her out on it, but she disagreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there's a bit of a lull, I'm gonna post/repost some general questions:

• If Season 3 does happen, what do you expect of it? What type of episodes would you like to see?
  • Who are your favorite characters and why? And while we're at it, who are some of your least favorite characters, if you feel the need?
  • What are some of your favorite episodes? What are some episodes you didn't like and how do you think they could've been better?
  • What are some of your favorite designs on the subseries?
  • If there were any other game character that could appear in the subseries, who would you want it to be? How about characters that originate outside of the games?

Note: You don't have to answer all of these at once. Please don't. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Want to see:

How Sonic and all met Sticks. 

If they'll have a Comedy Chimp replacement, seeing that Freiburger is no longer involved. 

People from other islands coming to Bygone Island. 

What actually drives Shadow. 

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

If there were any other game character that could appear in the subseries, who would you want it to be? How about characters that originate outside of the games?

I'm actually willing to welcome anyone to BOOM, especially after seeing how Vector was handled, but i'm really curious on how a BOOM!Blaze would turn out to be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What type of episodes would you like to see?

I think maybe more serious episodes to balance out the humor in the series. Also, maybe more Amy episodes and less Eggman episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

More multi-part episodes and over-arching plot throughout the season which continues after Rise of Lyric. I would want to see Silver, Blaze and Espio along with Shadow's back story, Metal Sonic and Vector in season 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see Rouge as a Carmen Sandiego-type character here. The team could follow her across the island trying to track her down after she steals the Crystal powering Hedgehog Village. Not sure how to end it though, maybe have a few nods to the movie Entrapment.

Speaking of movies, Eggman's film from season 1 gets riffed by Sonic and the team at a bad film club. Needless to say, Eggman finds out and goes nuts. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Some episode poking fun at the DRM incidents in the franchise. (Mania, Gather Battle)

Eggman to expand his Badnik roster with the Fire and Ice Badnik units, for better continuity. 

A few locales and plot points from the boom games. 

The remaining RoL villagers to appear.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Some episode poking fun at the DRM incidents in the franchise. (Mania, Gather Battle)

Eggman to expand his Badnik roster with the Fire and Ice Badnik units, for better continuity. 

A few locales and plot points from the boom games. 

The remaining RoL villagers to appear.

As long as that creepy and annoying jellyfish couple isn't included, I wouldn't mind seeing more characters from ROL. I would love to see how Cliff or Lyric could be handled in the show. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

As long as that creepy and annoying jellyfish couple isn't included, I wouldn't mind seeing more characters from ROL.

Oh yeah, Hokey and Pokey. What the heck was even the purpose of them, come to think of it?

16 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I would love to see how Cliff or Lyric could be handled in the show. 

I'm eh on Cliff, but . Still somewhat wondering what the extent of the supposed red tape around him is.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would like to see Doc Ginger again as I could see her as one of the few supportive villagers. Also, maybe so Belinda and Charlie in battle together since we never got to see that happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:52 PM, DabigRG said:
  • If Season 3 does happen, what do you expect of it? What type of episodes would you like to see?

In regards to the first totally not ripped off question, I recall doing a list of things I'd like to see in the past that I can probably dig up and repurpose. I'll try naming a few of those things before perhaps doing so:

• More adventure episodes
  • Occasional slightly more serious episodes
  • A few more episodes written by the voice actors
  • Better pacing
  • Episodes staring some of the side characters(besides Dave)
  • At least one Knuckles and Sticks episode
  • Another Tails episode that doesn't revolve around his inventions
  • More Amy episodes, in part to fix the balance
  • More Charlie and Belinda
  • Episodes with Wily Walrus and the Weasel Bandits acting on their own(read: Without Dave)
  • An outcast/"villainous" Gogoba(I actually had a number of ideas for this)
  • The return of Swifty
  • Characters that look closer to the Sega Cast(though not like Perci)
  • The establishment of a B-rank villain
  • Finally doing something of substance with Perci for the people who want that
  • A redesign to help distinguish Staci/Perci
  • An election episode
    • An episode that actually uses Fastidious Beaver in a major way
  • A scavenger hunt-type episode
1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I would like to see Doc Ginger again as I could see her as one of the few supportive villagers. Also, maybe so Belinda and Charlie in battle together since we never got to see that happen.

Same.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Something I would like to see is more interactions, episodes centered on two characters in particular, with unlikely duos we haven't seen on adventures, with plots a la Buddy Buddy Temple, but not with Sonic & Eggman which has been overused, some pair ideas: Sonic & Sticks, Sonic & Amy (official pairing but they are hardly on adventures together), Tails & Knuckles, Tails & Amy, Knuckles & Amy, Knuckles & Sticks, and definitely more Sonic & Knuckles and Tails & Sticks which is always nice. The reason my favorite episode is Fire in a Crowded Workshop is because it focuses on Sonic, Knuckles and Amy and what they think of each other and of themselves, it's an introspective episode and definitely one of the funniest.

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

Something I would like to see is more interactions, episodes centered on two characters in particular, with unlikely duos we haven't seen on adventures, with plots a la Buddy Buddy Temple, but not with Sonic & Eggman which has been overused, some pair ideas: Sonic & Sticks, Sonic & Amy (official pairing but they are hardly on adventures together), Tails & Knuckles, Tails & Amy, Knuckles & Amy, Knuckles & Sticks, and definitely more Sonic & Knuckles and Tails & Sticks which is always nice.

That's the nice thing about Lair on Lockdown is that while it could've done more with the duo's, they did change things up a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:
  • An outcast/"villainous" Gogoba(I actually had a number of ideas for this)

Okay, I'm highlighting this point because, as I somewhat alluded too, I actually did quite a bit of expositing and discussion about it in the past. I'll emulate some of my strategy over on the Telltale forums and just repost most of those unsorted thoughts here now to help get the concept across.

Note: I'm using number points to help distinguish each point, thought, and/or conversation from each other. Enjoy the read! 

Or don't. I don't really care right now.

Spoiler

1.A "good" Gogoba

2.Another odd little thing I think would be a little neat is if the show got a little more mileage out of the Gogobas. Much like the Weasel Bandits, The Chief has thus far shown up repeatedly in Hedgehog Village despite being, you know, the Chief and being a character that originally resided outside of the usual setting; meanwhile, the actual Tribes-Chinchillas(who incidentally look nothing like Thunderbolt) haven't been seen much at all. At the very least, I think it would be neat if they introduced another distinct Gogoba character to use on occasion. And with Mr. Ian Flynn's Og in mind, this one could perhaps be the Black Sheep of the Village: either simply being less of a downer/complainer than the others or even being a straightforward jerk.

3.That's part of why they should do it: to keep them from just being a Village of Hats or even a Fantastic Stereotype. And the solution is simple: introduce her/him as an outcast that the Tribe simply never talks about because she/he doesn't adhere to their ways and thus is  No True Gogoba. It's not like there's much of a hard and fast lore to them outside of that line you cite.

Also, I never explicitly said that this odd one out had to be genuinely nice or empathetic. Just not operate the same way the others do. This can include an honest Gogoba just as easily as a truly antagonistic one.

4. that moment when you realize a potentially villainous Gogoba is technically the White Sheep.  

The Gogobas technically aren't villains.

I mean they're definitely smarmy, manipulative, lazy, and annoying, but they also generally don't actually cause problems or actively antagonize anyone, whether due to being ultimately neutral or simply to lazy to even consider it. Rather, the problems tend to happen around them and Sonic's Team has to decide whether it's actually worth saving them or not depending on the seriousness of the situation.There's also the irony in how the Chief, despite being the Leader of these self-proclaimed guiltless moochers and almost certainly the oldest, is actually something of a working man himself since he travels to Hedgehog Village on a fairly regular basis to sell [likely overpriced] things for money to support the Tribe.

And it's not like the usual villagers don't engage in legitimately worse behavior and habits on occasion.

5. She would indeed technically be grey in her introduction considering she's technically the antagonist. The idea I have basically makes her the opposite of the Gogobas in just about every way, which could be played for both drama and humor

6. “Would she be working for Eggman?”

Eh...I kinda doubt it, but I suppose you could always pull another Circus of Plunders for the sake of making her more of a threat and giving Sonic and/or whoever something else to beat up.

I kinda prefer that the focus be on the fact that she is a reject out for revenge, either way.

7. “So maybe likr the second Buddy Buddy temple episode where the gang have to rescue the Gogobas.” 

Pretty much. The difference is that they are actually involved in(or rather, the cause of) the problem rather than being victimized bystanders.

8. “I’d laugh if there ever came an episode where someone points out “wait, there aren’t any children in the Gogoba tribe!” They always make excuses involving their kids, yet we never see them. They probably don’t even have kids.

That's a very interesting(and hilarious) point you make there. Unfortunately, it kinda clips up the backbone of this outcast Gogoba idea, but this is a comedy anyway: a simple handwave will do.

9. “So it would porbably involve a sort of hostage situation with Team Sonic trying to talk her (What name would you give her) out of harming the Gogobas.

Somewhat. Either one of the Team would work for respective reasons, though I kinda prefer either Tails or Sticks being the one to disarm her in the end. The episode still has to fill up 11 minutes but I suppose the backstory would be told in roughly a minute and an action scene or two would definitely fit the stakes. And there's still adequate room for jokes and gags here and there at pretty much everyone's expense.

10. As for what her name could be, I was trying to see if I could find a word basically meaning "outcast," "black sheep", or something like that for the sake of Sonic style simplicity, but since she's kinda meant to be the anti-Gogoba anyway, let's just call her Sabagog until one of us can come up with something better.

“Maybe Banni; because it's French for outcast”.

Somebody giving RedFox an Emmy--she put in more cleverness than I did. 

The other name that came to mine was Lu for referential reasons.

the name of the laidback White Sheep of the Froglodytes, a race of troll like creatures who were kept imprisoned by Sticks(voiced by Nika Futterman), is Og. So...

(Though I suppose you would have to be in your 20s to get that reference.)

11. I honestly tried to think of something specific for her to wanna do with them, but it generally hovering between simply imprisoning them with informed intent before Sonic's crew shows up to fight her or something simple/tangible like a volcano.

I honestly don't think it matters that much so long as the point gets across.Though that could just be either laziness on my part or not being the one who has actually has to write the damn episode(yet?).

12. “It could make for an interesting fanfic. 

Heh, imagine that. A fanfic about friggin Gogobas.

Granted, I realize I came up with the concept on a whim and then justified/summarized it over the course of at least a combined 11 minutes, but still..

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, I'm highlighting this point because, as I somewhat alluded too, I actually did quite a bit of expositing and discussion about it in the past. I'll emulate some of my strategy over on the Telltale forums and just repost most of those unsorted thoughts here now to help get the concept across.

Note: I'm using bullet points to help distinguish each point, thought, and/or conversation from each other. Enjoy the read! 

Or don't. I don't really care right now.

Hide contents
  • A "good" Gogoba

• Another odd little thing I think would be a little neat is if the show got a little more mileage out of the Gogobas. Much like the Weasel Bandits, The Chief has thus far shown up repeatedly in Hedgehog Village despite being, you know, the Chief and being a character that originally resided outside of the usual setting; meanwhile, the actual Tribes-Chinchillas(who incidentally look nothing like Thunderbolt) haven't been seen much at all. At the very least, I think it would be neat if they introduced another distinct Gogoba character to use on occasion. And with Mr. Ian Flynn's Og in mind, this one could perhaps be the Black Sheep of the Village: either simply being less of a downer/complainer than the others or even being a straightforward jerk.

• That's part of why they should do it: to keep them from just being a Village of Hats or even a Fantastic Stereotype. And the solution is simple: introduce her/him as an outcast that the Tribe simply never talks about because she/he doesn't adhere to their ways and thus is  No True Gogoba. It's not like there's much of a hard and fast lore to them outside of that line you cite.

Also, I never explicitly said that this odd one out had to be genuinely nice or empathetic. Just not operate the same way the others do. This can include an honest Gogoba just as easily as a truly antagonistic one.

• that moment when you realize a potentially villainous Gogoba is technically the White Sheep.  

The Gogobas technically aren't villains.

I mean they're definitely smarmy, manipulative, lazy, and annoying, but they also generally don't actually cause problems or actively antagonize anyone, whether due to being ultimately neutral or simply to lazy to even consider it. Rather, the problems tend to happen around them and Sonic's Team has to decide whether it's actually worth saving them or not depending on the seriousness of the situation.There's also the irony in how the Chief, despite being the Leader of these self-proclaimed guiltless moochers and almost certainly the oldest, is actually something of a working man himself since he travels to Hedgehog Village on a fairly regular basis to sell [likely overpriced] things for money to support the Tribe.

And it's not like the usual villagers don't engage in legitimately worse behavior and habits on occasion.

• She would indeed technically be grey in her introduction considering she's technically the antagonist. The idea I have basically makes her the opposite of the Gogobas in just about every way, which could be played for both drama and humor

• Would she be working for Eggman?”

Eh...I kinda doubt it, but I suppose you could always pull another Circus of Plunders for the sake of making her more of a threat and giving Sonic and/or whoever something else to beat up.

I kinda prefer that the focus be on the fact that she is a reject out for revenge, either way.

• “So maybe likr the second Buddy Buddy temple episode where the gang have to rescue the Gogobas.” 

Pretty much. The difference is that they are actually involved in(or rather, the cause of) the problem rather than being victimized bystanders.

• I’d laugh if there ever came an episode where someone points out “wait, there aren’t any children in the Gogoba tribe!” They always make excuses involving their kids, yet we never see them. They probably don’t even have kids.

That's a very interesting(and hilarious) point you make there. Unfortunately, it kinda clips up the backbone of this outcast Gogoba idea, but this is a comedy anyway: a simple handwave will do.

• “So it would porbably involve a sort of hostage situation with Team Sonic trying to talk her (What name would you give her) out of harming the Gogobas.

Somewhat. Either one of the Team would work for respective reasons, though I kinda prefer either Tails or Sticks being the one to disarm her in the end. The episode still has to fill up 11 minutes but I suppose the backstory would be told in roughly a minute and an action scene or two would definitely fit the stakes. And there's still adequate room for jokes and gags here and there at pretty much everyone's expense.

• As for what her name could be, I was trying to see if I could find a word basically meaning "outcast," "black sheep", or something like that for the sake of Sonic style simplicity, but since she's kinda meant to be the anti-Gogoba anyway, let's just call her Sabagog until one of us can come up with something better.

“Maybe Banni; because it's French for outcast”.

Somebody giving RedFox an Emmy--she put in more cleverness than I did. 

The other name that came to mine was Lu for referential reasons.

the name of the laidback White Sheep of the Froglodytes, a race of troll like creatures who were kept imprisoned by Sticks(voiced by Nika Futterman), is Og. So...

(Though I suppose you would have to be in your 20s to get that reference.)

• I honestly tried to think of something specific for her to wanna do with them, but it generally hovering between simply imprisoning them with informed intent before Sonic's crew shows up to fight her or something simple/tangible like a volcano.

I honestly don't think it matters that much so long as the point gets across.Though that could just be either laziness on my part or not being the one who has actually has to write the damn episode(yet?).

• “It could make for an interesting fanfic. 

Heh, imagine that. A fanfic about friggin Gogobas.

Granted, I realize I came up with the concept on a whim and then justified/summarized it over the course of at least a combined 11 minutes, but still..

There could be both an evil Gogoba traitor and a good Gogoba traitor. Speaking of that, maybe they could introduce some more little weird tribes on the island?

• Thumbs Up 1