Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Things about the show: humor, writing, animation, etc.

Huh, well this might get a little complicated then.

I recently started watching the cartoon series and I freaking love it. I don't know how long it's been since I've laughed so hard at a cartoon series. Granted, I haven't watched a whole lot in recent years (with lack of cable and such), but having found a place to watch it was a blessing and I am downright obsessed, haha. I don't know who my favorite character is, but I find myself loving Sonic, Shadow, and (this is new for me) Eggman! Shadow cracks me up the most, more so than Knuckles, surprisingly. And Sticks, gosh, I just love her! I do hope we get a new season!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 2

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess you have a point. Though, this creates a sort of juxtaposition since given how the first season finale joked about the show not getting renewed.

I’d say it’s a great use of Book Ends. If not even Book Ends to Boom as a whole, with the last episode being more serious, martial, and apocalyptic, akin to Rise of Lyric. 

Just looked on Netflix, and it looks like the remaining episodes of season 1 are up now. Before, only about 35 episodes were on there. This is for the UK site, not sure about other territories. Carry on! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there any character that you feel/thought you should/would like more than ended up actually doing? (And/or Vice versa, if you like.)

52 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Is there any character that you feel/thought you should/would like more than ended up actually doing? (And/or Vice versa, if you like.)

I think maybe Perci and Zooey.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, Perci was probably on my list at some point as well.

It's almost sad how she did almost nothing in the show.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

It's almost sad how she did almost nothing in the show.

Honestly, I've become rather meh about her myself, so I can't really comment.

I will reiterate that her near uselessness existing in the show makes sense and isn't too surprising knowing what I know now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:52 PM, DabigRG said:
  • What are some of your favorite designs on the subseries?

Out of the Main Game Characters, I'd say Eggman is my favorite redesign being more altered physique-wise than Knuckles. The World War I aviator/dictator outfit is a pretty brilliant contrast to Sonic's Drake scarf, Tails' 30 years later look, and is on par with Amy's random sarashi in terms of stylish alterations.

Vector's design was also pretty great, given he ditched his trademark headphones for a Dawg jacket and a tatoo.

Sticks' design(and really, her character in general) is pretty interesting given most of the other characters in both the games and in Boom itself. The fact that she legit seems like she should/could be a game character makes a whole lot of sense now knowing she was actually designed/creating by Sonic Team.

I'm sorta iffy when it comes to Perci(and Staci)'s design, since I kinda wanna say it's good despite not actually liking it for various reasons. Then again, Perci as a whole is simultaneously worth talking about and yet not worth acknowledging.

I actually don't mind Comedy Chimp looking like he was straight up ripped out of another country's cartoon, given his [later] increasingly worn out comedian shtick and the fact that there are very few primates in Sonic to begin with.

Fastiduous Beaver also looks decent for what he is. He honestly straddles the line pretty hard, imo, which may or may not have something to do with his origin.

I have something to say about Lady Goat in a recent separate post, but let me just point out that her design is really cute(not the word I wanna use) for what "character" and voice they actually gave her. I actually remember someone back on good ol Bumbleking seeing her in an issue of the Boom Comic and complimenting her design(incorrect color scheme and all), with Mr. Freiburger giving her name.

I like the Gogoba Chief and to an associated lesser extent, the standard Gogoba's designs, which strike me as both being near fits for actual Sonic design while being intentionally off for better or worse. This primarily involves their bland color schemes(or more accurately, color) and the overly uncanny laziness in the facial animation department, not to mention that they all look exactly the same despite some of them being explicitly female. The Chief is easily the best among them, where that issue mentioned before is justified by his characterization and age, as well as occasionally getting around the issue in certain scenes iirc.

Soar the Eagle is easily one of the best designs in the show  impo in part due to being created as germaphobic motivational speaker, making him one of the few buff characters besides Knuckles and Tommy, having a color scheme comprised entirely of inverted/negative/pastel colors, and being an interesting visual fit with the Babylon Rogues despite the writers likely not knowing about them. The fact that budget limitations led to him recurring as a relatively rare male journalist/reporter makes his design even more unconventional.

The W-tailed Marmoset is neat little design I wouldn't mind seeing again. His monochrome color scheme is a pretty unusual palette choice that makes him stick out despite only appearing once to my knowledge.

TW Barker actually does look like he could be a game character, on top of the fun ringmaster motif. Him being both a villain and apparently some kind of dog actually justifies what little offness there is.

I recognize that Wily Walrus is not really a good design so much as a funny one for the gag used to introduce him, but I like him nonetheless. He's also technically more fit than the other adult walri too, which is neat detail. 

I love that the Froglodytes are a thing in general.

Swifty the Shrew is a pretty fun little design given he's basically a parody of 90s/early-2000s sports dudes and is even apparently voiced by Robbie Rist. Shame he doesn't show up again.

Charlie is an interesting middleground between how a Sonic character is often design and a more Boom-like body type that I feel actually works compared to Perci.

As I mentioned in the review of my second view of the episode, Tommy Thunder in his first appearance was a design I really liked, which made the Season premiere episode starring him pretty awkward given his somewhat offputting animation and the characterization they went with.

The reindeer girl who is sometimes visible in Season 2 is really cute, even if I don't really dig her looking kinda tallish. 

I don't what the heck is up with him, but that one random sheep guy with the afro is a pretty striking design. Shame I don't think we ever really see much of him.

From the game, Lyric is pretty nifty design despite or even because of looking nothing like a Sonic character. The fact that he's just a really long snake in a life support suit with an extra claw on his tail always get him a fittingly disquieting vibe next to ...well, everyone else.

The Destruction Troops are a pretty cool design for robot minions. Gotta give Lyric credit for that.

Also, Doc Ginger. I don't know why, but I really like her random ass Goof Troop design.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, SonicFlameFairy56 said:

Hey livestream on the Official Sonic channel is going on

Was there anything Sonic Boom or Sonic movie related in the stream, because I didn't watch it.

3 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Was there anything Sonic Boom or Sonic movie related in the stream, because I didn't watch it.

Nah

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Here's a short comic about Boom Sonic wanting to move to Emerald Coast: https://toxikku.tumblr.com/post/169551859609/let-him-live-with-the-whales

Is it a new one or an older one? Because I don't think they made anymore after the last ones. Emerald coast, if I'm not mistaken is a level from Sonic Adventure 1.

12 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Is it a new one or an older one? Because I don't think they made anymore after the last ones. Emerald coast, if I'm not mistaken is a level from Sonic Adventure 1.

What do you mean? It's a fan comic though.

10 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What do you mean? It's a fan comic though.

I thought it was something officially new to the Sonic Boom series.

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I thought it was something officially new to the Sonic Boom series.

No, sorry for the confusion. It's a pretty amusing comic given how it outlines how ungrateful the villagers can be in the eyes of Sonic.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

No, sorry for the confusion. It's a pretty amusing comic given how it outlines how ungrateful the villagers can be in the eyes of Sonic.

Yeah, admittedly, that can get to be a bit much in certain extents.

Like, I personally don't mind, like, half of the villagers being jerkish, a little too trifling, or both, given it's kind of a situational comedy involving characters like Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman. I was on the side that thought Season 1 Sticks was funny in part because she was so antisocial, even if I still appreciate the offscreen(?) character development she got by Season 2. I was even more or less fine with it in episodes like Just a Guy(which I've noticed some minor disdain for), where it was kinda part of the plot and there was actually a point to be made.

But when I see characters like Mayor Fink, who is somewhat bungling and maybe just a little corrupt but decidedly not a dick, do things like threaten a Rec Center or whatever the heck it was with some comparatively blatant antipathy in his attitude, I get a little bothered.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

But when I see characters like Mayor Fink, who is somewhat bungling and maybe just a little corrupt but decidedly not a dick, do things like threaten a Rec Center or whatever the heck it was with some comparatively blatant antipathy in his attitude, I get a little bothered.

That's what really bugged me about "Victory", he was such an ass in that episode, and for no reason. His behavior came out of nowhere. I still think they could have kept his role of having to close down the rec center, because he had no choice, but I wish the episode tried being a little funnier, and made the Mayor less cold hearted about it.

I think the part where the mayor shredded team Sonic's petitions could have been funny if it was made to look like an accident. Imagine if the scene went where the mayor is bummed out, because he's out of confetti, suddenly team Sonic burst in and say "here you go mayor!" Then the mayor thanks them and puts it in the shredder. Sonic and pals could have freaked out, and pointed out how the mayor put their petitions to save the rec center in the paper shredder. The Mayor could have looked surprised, and said "oh... whoops... Well, we still have 9 minutes to figure something out." I personally think that would have made the scene a little funnier, and less mean spirited. I hated how smug the mayor was in this episode, it really annoyed me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That's what really bugged me about "Victory", he was such an ass in that episode, and for no reason. His behavior came out of nowhere. I still think they could have kept his role of having to close down the rec center, because he had no choice, but I wish the episode tried being a little funnier, and made the Mayor less cold hearted about it.

I think the part where the mayor shredded team Sonic's petitions could have been funny if it was made to look like an accident. Imagine if the scene went where the mayor is bummed out, because he's out of confetti, suddenly team Sonic burst in and say "here you go mayor!" Then the mayor thanks them and puts it in the shredder. Sonic and pals could have freaked out, and pointed out how the mayor put their petitions to save the rec center in the paper shredder. The Mayor could have looked surprised, and said "oh... whoops... Well, we still have 9 minutes to figure something out." I personally think that would have made the scene a little funnier, and less mean spirited. I hated how smug the mayor was in this episode, it really annoyed me. 

Having revisited that episode this afternoon, I agree. While he's not as dickish as I remember, I still don't care for his attitude and that alternative joke could've helped balance things.

• Thumbs Up 2