Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

There could be both an evil Gogoba traitor and a good Gogoba traitor. 

Ooh, Double Trouble! Though I kinda prefer if it was a little of both in one. 

Either way, it would help to have another distinct Gogoba character besides the Chief. Even if the Tribes-Chinchillas themselves don't show up very often at all anyway.

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

There could be both an evil Gogoba traitor and a good Gogoba traitor. Speaking of that, maybe they could introduce some more little weird tribes on the island?

That would nice. After all, the island seems relatively large and full of unpopulated areas, with Gogoba Village taking up a relatively small area, so there's bound to be at least a few more locales around.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the Boom games has several other islands they could plop people down on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

There could be both an evil Gogoba traitor and a good Gogoba traitor. Speaking of that, maybe they could introduce some more little weird tribes on the island?

Maybe the bad Gogoba traitor could work with Eggman to eliminate the rest of the tribe while the other traitor tries to live a better life, like Og.

• Fist Bump 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:52 PM, DabigRG said:
  • What are some of your favorite designs on the subseries?

A bit off kilter and not actually in line with this question, but there was recently a link to a deviantart post regarding someone's feelings about Og.

After posting my thoughts on their assessment there, they replied back and that led to me making a reply that went into my own thoughts regarding his design. So, for the sake of the critiquing element, I'll post part of my reply here:

Having watched the episode again for the first time yesterday, I will comment that I do think the design looks a little odd up close.

However, I generally see what they were going for from both a pragmatic modeling and basic character concept standpoint: Og, both in concept and in design, is basically just one member of the identical Froglodytes that doesn't feel comfortable with their brutish lifestyle and instead has the mindset(and wardrobe) reminiscent of a hippie. So the design generally works for what it's supposed to be. 

With that said, I do think I know what it is that makes him look odd, at least in my opinion: the color scheme of his hippie shoulder-towel thing. It's white with yellow, cyan, and magenta sploshes on it, which is fine on it's own, but it doesn't really jive with his dullish green Froglodyte skin. 

I believe a simple fix of making it magenta with yellow, cyan, and white sploshes would've looked better. It's the same inverted colors, but with magenta as the primary color, which is not only a darker color but one that seems like a good contrast to his skin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Obviously Sega still acknowledges Sonic Boom, because you can create Boom Sonic in Sonic Forces on the PS4, here is the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

That the avatar was originally going to be Boom Sonic, what with the lanky proportions, Enerbeam-like gimmick and the fact Boom Sonic was on the 25th anniversary wallpaper along with Modern and Classic Sonic but nowhere in the 25th anniversary celebrations after that. If that was the case, Boom Sonic clothing being available would be leftover assets from a cut concept precisely because they were avoiding acknowledging Boom Sonic directly. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

That the avatar was originally going to be Boom Sonic, what with the lanky proportions, Enerbeam-like gimmick and the fact Boom Sonic was on the 25th anniversary wallpaper along with Modern and Classic Sonic but nowhere in the 25th anniversary celebrations after that. If that was the case, Boom Sonic clothing being available would be leftover assets from a cut concept precisely because they were avoiding acknowledging Boom Sonic directly. 

And the fact that the Phantom Death Egg Robot looks very much like a black version of  Lyric's life support suit.

Yeah, I recall hearing about that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Its humour is very heavily Western, as are a lot of its stock plots. So yeah, I'm not big into it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Its humour is very heavily Western, as are a lot of its stock plots. So yeah, I'm not big into it. 

A lot of the show's humor is very meta, which while i found amusing at first, I grew less and less fond of it because of how overused i felt it became.

46 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I mean the characters mainly.

Well characters like Sticks and Knuckles are often two-dimensional. While they do have moments of showing hidden depths, these depths are sometimes dropped or are often underutilized. Meanwhile, Eggman and Amy were given less flat personalities, at least compared to most other characters on the show.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

A lot of the show's humor is very meta, which while i found amusing at first, I grew less and less fond of it because of how overused i felt it became.

Well characters like Sticks and Knuckles are often two-dimensional. While they do have moments of showing hidden depths, these depths are sometimes dropped or are often underutilized. Meanwhile, Eggman and Amy were given less flat personalities, at least compared to most other characters on the show.

I agree, the meta humor was funny at first when it was a rare occurrence, until it got too overused episode by episode. It was funny enough to have one episode focused around it, like The Biggest Fan, but then when they kept shoving in references in each episode that mocked the games, or show, it started getting tiring. It's especially tiring when it's all you ever see Sonic used for anymore. You go on social media to look up stuff about Sonic, and it's all about treating the series like a joke, and how laughable the series is.

When Sonic Forces failed to impress all the fans, even the official social media pages for Sonic started laughing at themselves immediately after release. Is this all Sonic is going to be from now on, just a joke? Is Sega going to keep intentionally making mediocre games, just so they can continue to market off "how laughable the series is?" I wish Sega would get serious for once. I don't mind having a laugh every once in a while, but seeing Sonic being treated like a joke non stop is getting ridiculous. They tried passing Sonic Forces as a serious game, yet it was so poorly handled, and leaves many to think it was intentionally made to be trying too hard, or not trying at all. 

Sure, Sonic Adventure games had laughably bad moments, but it was due to many reasons, like outdated technology,  bad translations, awkward voice acting, bad sound mixing, etc.  To kids growing up with the Adventure games, these issues weren't as noticeable, yet some fans still want to see games  and shows that fix the awkward issues of past Sonic games, not glorify them in more humiliating ways! Now in days, they have the tools and technology to make better things out of Sonic, yet they'd rather squander such things on more ways to market off how laughably bad people think the Sonic series is... 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

@SpongicX Nicely said. It can come off as lazy when a series makes fun of its problems, but doesn't try to fix them. Also, am I the only one who's tired of the running gag with the Sonic doll during the live stream? 

• Thumbs Up 2

By the way, I found the last episodes of season 2 in HD, probably the Hulu version, with some easy internet search (no links here, please), and not from that google document. I've been rewatching the finale, it's pretty good although not funny at all compared to... every other episode, but the fight scenes are great. This show is a little gem, I hope they announce season 3 soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking up announcement histories, we knew about season 2 earlier than the point we're at now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2018 at 8:13 AM, VEDJ-F said:

Looking up announcement histories, we knew about season 2 earlier than the point we're at now.

Yeah, I think some of us have accepted that the show is not getting another season. Which makes the final 4th wall jokes in the season finale kind of pointless. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

I certainly liked the Sonic Boom subseries, despite my initial hatred towards it. I still dislike a bit how they changed the characters' personalities, specially Knuckles, who essentially became the Patrick Star of the team, but even dumber; I would have liked to see Knux a bit more serious and I certainly don't get why he was changed so much, knowing his main series counterpart is pretty serious and still goes on adventures with his friends. Sonic isn't good either, and seems to have become a true egomaniac in this timeline. Tails is a bit too arrogant in my opinion, but otherwise he's good. I also don't get why Amy tries to hide her love feelings from Sonic, as if we already didn't know about it. Sticks is OK, and I would like to see her in the main games/continuity. Eggman is awesome. Having watched both, seasons 1 and 2, I wouldn't mind if a third season is released.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, I think some of us have accepted that the show is not getting another season. Which makes the final 4th wall jokes in the season finale kind of pointless. 

Well, joke, but not really.

Eggman's plan ended up being for naught at the end of the episode and rather than blow his stack, he simply muses that there's always next season.

If we are indeed not getting one, the joke is retroactively that Eggman just straight up lost.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, joke, but not really.

Eggman's plan ended up being for naught at the end of the episode and rather than blow his stack, he simply muses that there's always next season.

If we are indeed not getting one, the joke is retroactively that Eggman just straight up lost.

I guess you have a point. Though, this creates a sort of juxtaposition since given how the first season finale joked about the show not getting renewed.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, FairPlay said:

I still dislike a bit how they changed the characters' personalities, specially Knuckles, who essentially became the Patrick Star of the team, but even dumber; I would have liked to see Knux a bit more serious and I certainly don't get why he was changed so much, knowing his main series counterpart is pretty serious and still goes on adventures with his friends. 

It's likely because they needed/wanted a reliable funny and/or goofy character on Team Sonic. 

Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Metal, and the Shapebots are all pretty clear cut characters primary defined by their roles and trademark personality quirks. Knuckles, on the other hand, is one of the two game emigrating characters who would be shedding a lot of lore and backstory during the transition to being a major character in Boom(or as the show was originally called, Toon). This meant much of what defined him and gave him debt would be irrelevant, leaving behind a mischievous bruiser who likes getting one over on Sonic he's been in Sonic 3 and many recent games. And given his gullibility(or when especially exaggerated, dimness) had been a crucial driving force in his character, it only made sense to tap into that to make him a better fit for what was to be a comedy show. And since the other four are varying levels of focused and/or serious most of the time, that left Knuckles as the best candidate to make a [lethal?] joke character.

Sticks is a somewhat wacky character herself, true, but she was meant to be more of an anti-hero who was generally suspicous/paranoid about potential threats that sometimes have merit to them. She'd be at serious risk of being REALLY obnoxious and hard to take seriously if she was that and a complete looney tune. And they probably could've, you know, just used Amy for that role, but that would kinda conflict with what they were going for with her and then we'd have two kooky females on the main cast. And while they did/do seem to toy around with that in some earlier episodes, they eventually settled into what was arguably the best reinterpretation of a Game character before Vector Detector aired.

It is admittedly kinda weird, though, given he was more or less his game counterpart in Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days.

Sonic isn't good either, and seems to have become a true megalomaniac in this timeline. 

Uh...what?

Tails is a bit too arrogant in my opinion, but otherwise he's good.

Not sure where you're getting some of this.

Personally, Tails is the most sensible/boring of the main cast in terms of character dynamics.

I also don't get why Amy tries to hide her love feelings from Sonic, as if we already didn't know about it.

Remember that Game!Amy is a divisive character, with many seeing her as annoying, psychotic, or both. It's part of the subseries' effort to make her a more independent, capable character. This was generally accomplished by downplaying her primary trait--her obsessive infatuation with Sonic--in favor of playing up her other, more supportive traits.

Also, for Shipteasing.

Eggman is awesome. 

But of course--He is the EGGMAN!

Plus, the villain often gets to have the most entertainment value in these shows anyway, so he came preset for fit right in.

• Thumbs Up 2

@DabigRG I think Knuckles' role in the main series has varied. During the 90s or "classic" era, he was truly gullible and went against Sonic and Tails for this reason, but, despite this, he was still Sonic's good friend and worked together several times; their "rivalry", as I see it, was caused by the doctor's lies more than anything else. In Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow was introduced as Sonic's true arch-rival, and from then on, Knuckles stopped being tricked and became a part of Sonic's team and one of Sonic's best friends, second only to Tails, even if their relationship was somewhat more rocky, and started following Sonic around even if he had no reason to. In canon Knux wasn't deceived too many times anyway: like two times, or three if Sonic Advance 2 counts. I agree that in the episode "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days" he was more or less like his game counterpart, and in some other episodes (mostly from season 1) he's like that too. What's ironic is that Knuckles in the main games is generally one of or the most serious of all his friends, while in Boom he's the contrary.

About Sonic, I tried to write "true egomaniac" :D, I don't know what was passing through my head when I wrote "megalomaniac". Why egomaniac? Well Sonic in general is known for having an attitude and being cool, but I think Boom Sonic goes too far really.

Tails comes off as a bit arrogant to me when it comes to his inventions and the way he's in general. Maybe that's just me, because I'm more accustomed to the old games where Tails was Sonic's young fox sidekick who admired his hero and wanted to be like him. I guess he grew up a little.

Amy hasn't been as obsessive about Sonic in the main series since... Sonic Lost World, I guess. She still loves Sonic but has adopted a more "mellow" approach in recent titles. I would say her personality has matured over the years. So, as I said before, it really doesn't make sense for Boom Amy to hide her feelings; she could tell Sonic she loves him and still have her positive traits.

Yeah, honestly Eggman is probably the best of all the main characters in the Boom universe, pretty well written, and not too far from his game counterpart either. I would have loved to see an episode where Boom Eggman has his own "EggTV", like "classic" Robotnik in Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the self-awareness, they used pretty much everything they could, so I don't know for a season 3; also, the fact that the characters have a life that they enjoy, they hang out, eat at Meh Burger, play sports and read comics, play videogames and watch tv, in their houses, it's something nice even though it looks like a sit-com. The action segments are forced but surprisingly great. I hate the fact that Eggman uses the same giant robots every time, which have shitty designs by the way, but there isn't much they can do since that is the budget. Oh, I enjoyed the new badniks, models and environments in season 2.

• Thumbs Up 1