Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

More gameplay. This time from ProJared:

Some of Sonic's animations seem wrong when Sonic runs across the cork-screw bridge from right to left at 1:50

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

Given how apparently only the first half of Sonic 3's stages can be used because of the legal issues regarding the music, I say it's very likely Hydro City will be the chosen stage.

Has this ever been confirmed? I recall the music replacements in the PC version were due to technical issues with the tracks and not due to any legal complication. The only one I could see the argument panning out for is Ice Cap considering that's straight up Hard Times. They could always use different music for those stages if it's truly an issue.

No, it's entirely because of Michael Jackson's sound team and said royalties; this is why there aren't any of those levels nor any remixes from Sonic 3 in Sonic Generations or any other game, and you can bet this is why there aren't any plans for Sonic 3&K Remastered. They're only able to emulate the original Sonic 3 program without any legal trouble, which is why the game was available on the Wii V.Console and is still available on Steam. 

Besides which, I sincerely doubt Sonic Team or the Mania Team are willing to settle for something that could cause controversy with longtime fans, considering the primary target audience. It's just more efficient for them to use levels that won't cause them either a legal headache or a PR headache with retro fans. I certainly wouldn't want Launch Base, Carnival Night or Ice Cap's music to be changed from the original Genesis incarnation. They can easily use concepts from those levels or make entirely new levels based off of those tropes. Hydrocity and Marble Garden are great.

We need a good, original ice level, guys. Haven't had anything really cool since Cool Edge.

gonna go stand in the corner for that one, now

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

No, it's entirely because of Michael Jackson's sound team and said royalties; this is why there aren't any of those levels nor any remixes from Sonic 3 in Sonic Generations or any other game, and you can bet this is why there aren't any plans for Sonic 3&K Remastered. They're only able to emulate the original Sonic 3 program without any legal trouble, which is why the game was available on the Wii V.Console and is still available on Steam. 

Looking at the Sonic Retro wiki:

" Most of the original music is emulated, with the user able to choose between MIDI and FM formats. Furthermore, some of Sonic 3's music tracks, including those of Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, Launch Base Zone, Knuckles' theme, the Competition menu, and the credits music, were replaced with original compositions. One possible explanation for this is that the tracks featured sampled sound effects not supported by the MIDI standard, and some sound cards during this time were not capable of playing these alongside the standard MIDI instruments. Another potential explanation is that the original tracks may have been composed by Michael Jackson, "

So it sounds to me like there's no definitive reason and it could very well be either, or even possibly both. I recall the latter being debunked by the former, but that was in some yotuube videos and it may be that the author just took a stance. Retro seems more impartial, so given that could very well be the reason, you're both right, it could disqualify half that game unless they mess with the music. As far as backlash goes for that, I don't know. I personally wouldn't care, but I can see how it would matter to others.

Marble Garden and Hydrocity would seem like the most likely two picks if the later half of the game is unqualified. If that is in fact the case, I wonder if Marble Garden would incorporate Marble Zone gimmicks. My personal picks from 3 would be Hydrocity and Ice Cap. I loves me some snow levels, and I agree that we need some good new original levels using that trope.

Like I said before, I would never rule out Ice Cap, Carnival Night or ANY other controversial zone because of MJ. Sure the music is an important part of said zones, ESPECIALLY our friend Ice Cap. But heck, use it and create another music! I wouldn't mind at all. I like the aesthetics, the gimmicks and feeling of these zones. Besides, if I want to hear the original music, I would simply play over from my PS4, lol

So yeah, not use a zone because of "oh, song is forbidden" is bullshit, BULLSHIT. And it's past time to SEGA adress this matter once and for all.

Bitch.

• Thumbs Up 5

37 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Hydrocity and Marble Garden are great.

We need a good, original ice level, guys. Haven't had anything really cool since Cool Edge.

Hydrocity yay, Marble Garden nay. MGZ is a decent Zone but Sylvania Castle was so heavily influenced by it and Aquatic Ruin that I would prefer not to revisit either. I'd be fine going back to Angel Island.

Also, I think White Park was a super cool, original ice level. Sorry but White Park>Cool Edge.

What new tropes would you guys like to see?

I would love to see, if no Ice Cap, a new snow themed level. Perhaps a Snowy Park? It would also be awesome to see some sort of haunted level. It also would be cool to see a Castle, Beach, Town, or Mine themed level.

I asked Christian about the audio and animation issues in the Switch version and he said:

So it sounds like there's nothing to worry about, hope all is good by release. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

I can honestly pin the Switch version existing after Mania's reveal. So I do hope this will be ironed out but I trust Taxman so we'll see.

I finally finished my Switch box mock-up! :D

sonic_mania_nintendo_switch_boxart_by_go

http://goldmetalsonic.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Mania-Nintendo-Switch-Boxart-657949420

I had to go with an RP rating just because I'm not certain if it'll end up as E or E10+. I'll get that done when the rating comes up. I decided against adding Sonic for two reasons, one, the only clean transparent one was too small, and two, it didn't look all that good even when I tried to use it. I like the clean look seen here more in the end anyway. :P

What do you all think? :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Well if we're talking Unreal Engine 4, that runs on Switch anyway (and I think a stripped version runs on the Mobile devices). I digress, it shouldn't be too hard to port Mania to whatever platform SEGA decides, all it'd take is time which is why Tantalus is handling the Switch version so development of all versions syncs up proper without causing delays.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, molul said:

Well, it's not unreal engine 5 :) Should work fine on mobile devices too. 

Haha, you're right. ;) I expected Switch to handle Mania smoothly even though I made it sound the exact opposite, of course it works well, Switch is a powerhouse.

The Sonic Mania Switch trailer has surpassed 2 million views on Nintendo's Youtube channel in just 3 days. It could overtake the original trailer on Sega's channel in a matter of hours. It's safe to say Mania is going to be a huge hit on ALL platforms.

Screenshot_2017-01-17-05-30-56-1.png

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, EllieBot said:

Two special stage rings have been found in Green Hill, Mirage Saloon & Studiopolis. 

Yeah, spin-dashing against the wall should be obvious. This guy didn't discover the special stage ring by accident. He knew it was there, went straight for it, haha.

One of the guys on Retro did a pretty good rip of Mania's mid-zone boss music:

I like the track so far, it's catchy. Reminds a bit of Sonic CD JP boss music. 

I don't like this. :-/

5 hours ago, Hero of Legend said:

I finally finished my Switch box mock-up! :D

sonic_mania_nintendo_switch_boxart_by_go

http://goldmetalsonic.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Mania-Nintendo-Switch-Boxart-657949420

I had to go with an RP rating just because I'm not certain if it'll end up as E or E10+. I'll get that done when the rating comes up. I decided against adding Sonic for two reasons, one, the only clean transparent one was too small, and two, it didn't look all that good even when I tried to use it. I like the clean look seen here more in the end anyway. :P

What do you all think? :)

Here's the one I made:

Wngyaa9.jpg

I went with PEGI 7 because it was already there from my Mario box art.

And Amy is there because my real sources told me she's in the game and not because I was too lazy to remove her. :ph34r:

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't like this. :-/

Here's the one I made:

Wngyaa9.jpg

I went with PEGI 7 because it was already there from my Mario box art.

And Amy is there because my real sources told me she's in the game and not because I was too lazy to remove her. :ph34r:

It's hard to trust these "sources" if you don't share them.

15 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

It's hard to trust these "sources" if you don't share them.

I was joking.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I was joking.

Lol dammit, my sense of humor betrays me. I'm just really hoping Amy appears.

19 hours ago, EllieBot said:

I like the track so far, it's catchy. Reminds a bit of Sonic CD JP boss music. 

The ending bit sounds like it could be lifted straight from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Something I'm wondering is if all the re-imagined zones will start off with a section that is identical to the original zone's map and then deviate off into it's own thing. It is a possibility, although I'm wondering if it was only done for Green Hill due to you know, Green Hill and everything. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Re: Mobile port, there is the basic fact that we don't know how big this game is yet regarding music/visuals and all that (though of course, lower quality or compressed files could solve that problem).

More than anything else though, I imagine the special stages are a big factor as to whether a mobile port is feasible.  I doubt they'd do something so elaborate it can't be scaled down somehow, but you never know.

1 hour ago, ShroomZed said:

Something I'm wondering is if all the re-imagined zones will start off with a section that is identical to the original zone's map and then deviate off into it's own thing. It is a possibility, although I'm wondering if it was only done for Green Hill due to you know, Green Hill and everything. 

If they do this, I kind of hope they utilise our expectations later on in the game to really surprise us much earlier than normal with new elements to the retro zones.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, ShroomZed said:

I think that's the idea of Green Hill Zone in Mania though, it starts out like the original, but It becomes it's own thing later on, to tell you, hey this isn't the Classic Sonic you remember from the past, It's a brand new experience in general. So I doubt the other reimagined zones would have the same concept. (Especially since they did say that Green Hill is the tamest of the bunch.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BlueBlur91 said:

(Especially since they did say that Green Hill is the tamest of the bunch.)

thinking about this, I'm really excited to see one of the other re imagined stages. we have seen a little bit of GHZ2, and it already looks extremely different from the green hill we all know and love.

I really can't wait to see what they come up with.

• Thumbs Up 2