Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

There's probably a little more to it than just fighting Eggman, but I wouldn't expect the story to go much beyond a 3&K level. My guess is that the island's artificial and some kind of trap by Eggman, and that the returning levels are either recreations or were outright stolen from their original locations.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I have a hunch that the plot, whatever the specifics may be, center around something of a "it all comes together" vibe. Considering the fact that we're revisiting South Island, Westside Island, Angel Island and the Miracle Planet, and also noting that Knuckles is somehow involved in this mess instead of guarding the Master Emerald; I'm anticipating a plot that instills a deep connection between these locations. Maybe. Maybe not.  

Beyond that, we can throw fanfictiony ideas to the table. Maybe South Island and Westside Island used to be part of Angel Island. Maybe the Miracle Planet is falling towards the Earth because Robotnik did a thing and those islands hold the key to reversing it. Or maybe the Chaos Emeralds just scattered across those islands for no reason and we have to go there because that's where they are. 

Also, are levels like Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon on those familiar islands, or are they part of a series of new landmasses altogether? Or just one? How are Sonic and co. hopping from South Island to Westside Island and such? Warp Rings? The Tornado? Did South Island crash into Westside Island (in the Japanese canon, South Island moves across the ocean currents by the way) and Angel Island fell nearby because 404 Master Emerald not found? Did all of those islands warp to the surface of the Miracle Planet? 

I drank too much coffee.

This is definitely a solid theory. I think that Sonic shaped island is a big part of the plot, it's most certainly there for some reason.

Has anyone thought time travel may play a part?

17 hours ago, Soni said:

It's already confirmed that Mania will have cutscenes similar to 3&K but in terms of complexity, I doubt it. Classic Sonic is pretty simple in terms of its story, makes sense to not go for a complex story. As long as Mania's cutscenes are as cleverly done as 3&K's, it's already one of the best Sonic stories we have to date.

This was the magic of the classics; they told a simple story with just a few cutscenes here and there which didn't interrupt the fluidity of the game. At least with the 32-bit look we can expect some more impressive visuals and animations. 

An animated intro/ending like Sonic CD isn't essential but would be the icing on the cake.

On an unrelated note, I had a dream last night where Sonic and Tails story in Mania was all about hunting down Eggman, whilst Knuckles story involved going after Egg-Robo and Mecha Sonic and had nothing to do with Eggman. Yeah, I know, not the most original dream, but Knuckles renewing his rivalry with Egg-Robo and Mecha could be interesting.

17 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I drank too much coffee.

Yes, you did.

Related image

..but for all we know you could be on to something. A story linking all the islands and maybe Christmas Island?

How about something like; there's a brand new mysterious island (which contains the new zones, Mirage Saloon & Studiopolis etc) which Eggman has discovered, wants to harness it's power and turn into "Robotnikland". In order to uncover the location of this new island Sonic has to revisit the re-magined zones on each island (South, Westside, Angel Island) and Little Planet to search for clues/fragments which reveal the new islands location, whilst Eggman tries desperately to stop Sonic from finding it. 

Sonic eventually finds the location of the new island where he confronts Eggman in one of toughest-most spectacular final zones ever designed "Robotnik land" followed by an all-mighty final boss fight where Super Sonic takes on Super Eggman

• Thumbs Up 4

Makes me think.

I always thought a final boss where regular ol' Sonic has to fight Dr Eggman when he has all of the Chaos Emeralds could be incredible. Like... obviously not like a Super Eggman, but a classic Egg Robo mech but overclocked and throwing punches through spacetime or something. 

Y'know. A final boss scenario where it feels like Sonic has a disadvantage for once.

Dunno if that'd suit Sonic Mania, but just throwing that thought out there, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I always thought a final boss where regular ol' Sonic has to fight Dr Eggman when he has all of the Chaos Emeralds could be incredible. Like... obviously not like a Super Eggman, but a classic Egg Robo mech but overclocked and throwing punches through spacetime or something. 

Y'know. A final boss scenario where it feels like Sonic has a disadvantage for once.

Dunno if that'd suit Sonic Mania, but just throwing that thought out there, I guess.

Can you just write future Sonic games? The ideas are golden. Perhaps after Sonic defeats this overclocked Egg Robo mech (if successful with collecting all of the emeralds in the special stages) would lead to the extra stage with Super Sonic versus this boss, but with the power of the emeralds absorbed. You know, like a Perfect Chaos fight scenario. 

Similar scenario if it's Knuckles vs Mecha Sonic again, a more advanced version of the Master Emerald fight.

Edit: Elliebot, could see that being a potential story scenario, damnit I'd love to see more of the game now Sega please?

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Can you just write future Sonic games? The ideas are golden.

Aw. :) Thanks... that'd be great, but good ideas don't always land jobs.

also

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Speaking of seeing more, it's a given we'll get a new trailer and details on Hedgehog Day in a few weeks, right?

I wouldn't say it's a given. The last time anything like that happened, it was for Sonic 4 Episode 1. I don't think it's much of a trend.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Speaking of seeing more, it's a given we'll get a new trailer and details on Hedgehog Day in a few weeks, right?

Not close, no. In fact we've had from very little to nothing on most hedgehog days. The first one in 2010 had Sonic 4's proper reveal and I think they started the Concept Art Fridays again for Episode 2 on Hedgehog Day 2012. 

It's not impossible, certainly knowing about two games way ahead of time could potentially make it more of a possibility but it's not in the bag at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would be rather fitting if they reveal one of Sonic 3's re-imagined zones on Hedgehog day although I'd prefer Sonic 3 Remastered to be announced :D

I'm expecting at least one more zone to be revealed prior to release. Mirage Saloon was revealed in October, so late Jan/early February sounds about the right time for another trailer. Hopefully we'll get info about the story.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's my story.....

So what happens is that a new island is discovered, and eggman wants to use something, maybe even the emeralds to crash little planet into this island and use the rubble to create his empire. Sonic and tails learn of this plan and try to stop it, and they go on an adventure across all the new and old islands and worlds to stop his new plan.

If knuckles is taking separate paths, what if eggman sends metal sonic, egg robo, or mecha sonic to steal the master emerald to help power his little planet death device, and Knuckles chases after, and they all 3 meet at the end for the final boss.

What do you all think of this? Share your ideas too of course :D

7 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I have a hunch that the plot, whatever the specifics may be, centers around something of an "it all comes together" vibe. Considering the fact that we're revisiting South Island, Westside Island, Angel Island and the Miracle Planet, and also noting that Knuckles is somehow involved in this mess instead of guarding the Master Emerald; I'm anticipating a plot that instills a deep connection between these locations. Maybe. Maybe not.  

Beyond that, we can throw fanfictiony ideas to the table. Maybe South Island and Westside Island used to be part of Angel Island. Maybe the Miracle Planet is falling towards the Earth because Robotnik did a thing and those islands hold the key to reversing it. Or maybe the Chaos Emeralds just scattered across those islands for no reason and we have to go there because that's where they are. 

Also, are levels like Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon on those familiar islands, or are they part of a series of new landmasses altogether? Or just one? How are Sonic and co. hopping from South Island to Westside Island and such? Warp Rings? The Tornado? Did South Island crash into Westside Island (in the Japanese canon, South Island moves across the ocean currents by the way) and Angel Island fell nearby because 404 Master Emerald not found? Did all of those islands warp to the surface of the Miracle Planet? 

Whatever the catalyst is, Sonic Mania could be shooting for a "this is what the Classic trilogy was leading up to" finale story. 

I drank too much coffee.

Has it actually been confirmed that we're revisiting those actual locations? I've been wondering if perhaps the entire game is set on an island created by Eggman with recreations of familiar locales from the Sonic universe.

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yes, I think the idea of "Eggman is re-creating zones from the past" seems more like it. Pretty much like in Colors, he built an "harmless" amusement park, now in Mania, he's making a MOVIE, called: Sonic Mania. The "Sonic Island" we see in the title screen was actually built BY EGGMAN to lure Sonic into going there and see what the shit is that all about...

I mean, if Sonic saved those islands in past games, why there are still badniks there, in Green Hill??? Did Eggman decided to go and robotize only some places? What's the point? The theory of a movie starring Sonic seems even more possible when you have a zone called Studiopolis and another one that's basically like a classic american western movie.

That would also explain why there's a zone from Sonic CD. It's not really Little Planet, but an Eggman's recreation of one of its locations.

Too crazy?

Also, maybe EXPECT zones that Eggman would like to recreate, stuff he thinks is memorable or wants to "re-write", like a... Director's cut?! That's why I think Launch Base is a strong possibility.

Dunno how likely it is, but that's a really interesting theory. Classic games haven't had a strong "theme" to tie all their zones together in the past, but there's no reason they can't start, and it would be a really interesting way to set Sonic Mania apart from its predecessors, which I think would be kinda cool.

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yes, I think the idea of "Eggman is re-creating zones from the past" seems more like it. Pretty much like in Colors, he built an "harmless" amusement park, now in Mania, he's making a MOVIE, called: Sonic Mania. The "Sonic Island" we see in the title screen was actually built BY EGGMAN to lure Sonic into going there and see what the shit is that all about...

I mean, if Sonic saved those islands in past games, why there are still badniks there, in Green Hill??? Did Eggman decided to go and robotize only some places? What's the point? The theory of a movie starring Sonic seems even more possible when you have a zone called Studiopolis and another one that's basically like a classic american western movie.

That would also explain why there's a zone from Sonic CD. It's not really Little Planet, but an Eggman's recreation of one of its locations.

Too crazy?

This is definitely the most plausible theory I've heard so far, as it lines up with everything we've seen so far. I really like the idea too. It would make sense for Eggman to target Sonic in an anniversary/celebratory title (as he did in Generations) rather than try to take over the world as usual.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a question. How many zones are you guys personally expecting? I'm guessing either 16 or 17, personally. I think It's definitely going to have more zones than S3&K at least.

The topic of Nintendo VS Playstation when it comes to Sonic game sales has always been quite shaky. Most Sonic fans nowadays are also Nintendo fans, just ask anyone and most will say that their first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube.

I personally am not a very big Nintendo fan, the only console I've bought from them is the GBA. At the same time, I do enjoy their games.

Regardless, I would love it if SEGA would focus more on releasing Sonic games on Playstation platforms. The PS4 deserves at least one Sonic exclusive cause of the huge market it has, and the PS Vita still has no Sonic games on it (the racing and PSP games don't count). Sonic is supposed to be Mario's opposite, not copycat.

But anyways, Sonic Mania will be awesome no matter which console it's on.

personally i don't think that sega will do exclusitivity with sonic that often anymore. the boom deal was a commercial failure, we all know that.

I think the game will have a little more content than S3&K. max 20 Zones, including a possible extra emerald-zone.

So say there were two re-imagined zones from each game (idk why, just what I'm guessing they'll do); that's 8 zones right there. We know there's fewer original zones, so at most I expect to see 15 zones total. Saying that, they could very well do more zones from say, Sonic 2 than Sonic CD, or vice versa or whatever, in which case this hypothetical is useless lol.

I'm gonna set my expectations at around the same content as S3&K. I wouldn't even mind a bit less as long as it's all good. 

That would be amazing, but I'm more realistic and I'm expecting it to be S3&K big, with 12 zones, 8 old and 4 new, he did say bigger than Generations which has 9 zones.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, EllieBot said:

I have a theory we're going to get between 14 and 17 zones and there is logic to my madness...

Okay first off, let me remind you of this tweet:

Hide contents

<3 U Indi :D

Now, do you remember Iizuka confirmed in the stream a few months back there will be more re-imagined stages than brand-new content? Well, if there was only going to be one more re-imagined zone then there'd be no point in Iizuka saying what he said, because having just one more remade level over new one's isn't exactly what I'd call a "significant" percentage.

This is why I believe there will be at least two more re-imagined stages than new levels, which would justify Iizuka making a bold/controversial statement (which did understandably annoy some fans) and justifies the "25th-anniversary celebrating the numerical trilogy & Sonic CD" angle which they've gone for.

Okay, now hypothetically; if we are getting just one remade zone per game, then we are looking at four; one from Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3&K (SEGA stated Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game in the press-release). Now based on my logic in the previous two paragraphs there would have to be at least two brand-new stages less than reimagined, so we are looking at 4 remade & 2 new. 

However, based on this (below) tweet from Taxman - which I believe implies we are getting at least two more new levels in addition to Mirage Saloon & Studiopolis; the theory of 4 remade & 2 new can be thrown out.

Therefore, I believe there will be two re-imagined zones from each game. So 8 (10 if you count Sonic 3 and S&K as separate games and Taxman did confirm on Neogaf we are getting content from Sonic 3 and from S&K).

Back to Taxman's first tweet:

Now, I interpret what he said as; "yeah there are more reinvented stages but Mania is already a big game with just the new zones by themselves". In other words, there are enough new zones to make up the size of a full game; Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 (alone) each had six zones...

So in conclusion; Mania will have at least 14 zones: 

• 8 re-imagined zones and 6 brand new.
  • If we are going for; two zones from Sonic 3 and S&K, then we would get 16 zones (10 re-magined and 6 new).

If we include another zone for the final boss then we could end up with 17 zones which is an insane amount of content.

Hopefully it makes sense :D

Don't worry, it does. This is definitely on the lines of what i was thinking. 16 or 17 zones sounds just right.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Makes me think.

This brings up a very intriguing plot element too!  It seems less likely that Eggman was watching Knuckles and Mecha Sonic facing off, and therefore did not witness Mecha Sonic synergizing with the Master Emerald.

I suppose it can only be said for certain to be the Master Emerald, but possibly other emeralds, that it can transfer lots of energy into a mech for at least a short time; Eggman seemed to only have figured out how to use it for the heavy laser cannon in the belly of his mech! 

6 hours ago, Jango said:

I mean, if Sonic saved those islands in past games, why there are still badniks there, in Green Hill??? Did Eggman decided to go and robotize only some places? What's the point?

This is quite interesting as well! ^_^  Whether these are the original locations or artificial recreations, how is it that the badniks are placed within the zones? 

Although it is visibly present in only one game, the indication from Sonic CD is that they are dropped off via UFO/OVNI (objeto volador no identificado; this acronym seems to fit best with Eggman!) types of transport ships!  If these are the original locations, Eggman may have sent out these vehicles to place the badniks; it is hard to say whether they would be automatic and place them via coordinates or that they have some type of radar or cameras that allow Eggman or capable administrative robots to place them manually!  :) 

(It would be interesting to see them in a new game made by this current team, perhaps even something similar to the Flying Battery  sub boss! :o:)   They are quite fast and manueverable after all which would be a unique contrast to the very slow and clunky capsule!)

6 hours ago, Jango said:

I saw this theory floated on Sonic Retro, and I always liked it. It would make a lot of sense, Robotnik trying to essentially rewrite himself as the victor in his past encounters. In general I'm assuming he created this island where the old zones are found, both Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis are utterly drenched in Robotnik imagery, moreso than what you'd typically see in a 2D Sonic stage.

Also liking the theory that there's about 15-17 levels. That's close to what I've been thinking. Two zones per game with an upwards limit of 19, assuming there's only one less new zone to old, though that's incredibly unlikely for reasons already mentioned. 15-17 would make for a sizeable game, that's already longer than Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I'm hoping we get a release date soon-ish. It'd be reassuring to know Mania is still on track for a Spring release. I imagine if it is we'd probably hear something about that next month, but the hell if I know. I'm more curious about when the game is coming out than I am stage counts and features. I already know I want Mania, I just want to know when I can get my greedy mitts on it.

I have a question, that might already have been answered, but here it goes: do we have a price tag for this game? USUALLY, digital games cost from US$9,99 to 19,99. I believe both Sonic 4 episodes were released with a price tag of 14,99 and Sonic CD, 9,99.

I think it's possible and likely of Sonic Mania to cost US$19,99, since it's bigger and BETTER than Sonic... Four..

Hey, digital pre-order with auto download when BTW? ???

I'm guessing 18 total zones

2 from each classic game is 10. ( 3 and knuckles are counted separately) and I'm going to just say 8 new zones. The game is longer then generations so probably bigger than 3&K