Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I'd imagine this would be a Nintendo choice rather than a Sega choice; it'll be a slim first year for the Switch and they probably want as many games as possible physically on store shelves to make an impression on consumers.  That would be my reading of the situation, at least.

5 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Once SEGA sets up their stream, I can have it embedded on Motobug, sure! No registering required if you watch it that way

this is exactly what i was asking for. thanks bro!

• Thumbs Up 1

News of a potential physical release is good, but bloody hell SEGA can't be dense enough to make it Switch only, surely? 

I suppose it could be Nintendo assisting, but given they didn't, say, include it in the presentation at all I don't see that as the likely situation. That, and the results of the last Nintendo deal. 

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, to me, one physical release is far better than no physical releases (which is what we were expecting to begin with), so I can't help but exclusively be happy about this possibility even though I doubt I'm getting a Switch. I just see it as a little something extra. If we weren't getting a physical Switch release, the other most likely possibility (in my mind) is no physical releases, so I don't see it as a loss. I mean, I can get the complaints, certainly, but it doesn't bother me personally.

• Thumbs Up 2

If only one console was getting a physical release, I'd honestly have given it to the Switch just for the novelty of it being on a cartridge which is just so fitting for the first full-blown Classic Sonic game released after all this time.

Obviously, it'd be ideal for all platforms to get it but it'd be a little bit of a bummer for those of us paying for the collector's edition at this point if we're missing out on a physical copy of the game given the price. 

...Having said that, eating popcorn alone with that Sonic statue and playing the game on release (hopefully a Friday night) very nearly makes up for it!

• Thumbs Up 5

If the devs, Tantalus and/or Nintendo are pushing for a physical release on the Switch, I just hope that'll increase the chances of the other versions getting it too. Would be kind of a shame to leave out fans not interested in Nintendo (or the Switch specifically). It won't really bother me that much despite probably getting the PC version since I don't mind buying digital, but yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe we're up to five retailers that have listed a physical Switch version now. PlayAsia rarely lists bullshit. That's the one that sold me.

I'd much rather have it on all consoles, but if it's a Nintendo physical exclusive, (as in something Nintendo funded for their system.) I'm totally fine with that.

14 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I believe we're up to five retailers that have listed a physical Switch version now. PlayAsia rarely lists bullshit. That's the one that sold me.

I'd much rather have it on all consoles, but if it's a Nintendo physical exclusive, (as in something Nintendo funded for their system.) I'm totally fine with that.

I think we're at:

Gamestop Germany (pre-presentation leak)

EB Games AU

The Game Collection

Play Asia

Any others I'm forgetting?

49 minutes ago, Joy said:

If only one console was getting a physical release, I'd honestly have given it to the Switch just for the novelty of it being on a cartridge which is just so fitting for the first full-blown Classic Sonic game released after all this time.

Obviously, it'd be ideal for all platforms to get it but it'd be a little bit of a bummer for those of us paying for the collector's edition at this point if we're missing out on a physical copy of the game given the price. 

...Having said that, eating popcorn alone with that Sonic statue and playing the game on release (hopefully a Friday night) very nearly makes up for it!

Not that I personally care either way, but it could also be said a disc release is more fitting since this was envisioned as the original SEGA Saturn Sonic platformer that never was, so there's that.

Of course the marketing team is completely ignoring that developer insight considering the Mega Drive cartridge collectible in the special edition, but granted such an item is far more novel and universally appealing than a fake reproduction Saturn disc which would just be, what, a coaster? Lol.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Hero of Legend said:

I think we're at:

Gamestop Germany (pre-presentation leak)

EB Games AU

The Game Collection

Play Asia

Any others I'm forgetting?

I believe Nintendo listed a physical version on their site as well. 

Also, I called this weeks ago, but the Gamestop listing makes a lot more sense now. There's no way they would list two differently titled Sonic games for no reason. 

55822_1_leaked-gamestop-docs-reveal-switch-launch-lineup.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

To be honest, getting a PC/PS4 physical release isn't a big deal. I mean, I know there's the whole "a digital release doesn't feel like you actually own the game" thing, whereas a physical-disc does, but Mania will be available digitally for at least a decade-maybe more, and even if the game gets removed from the stores eventually, you can still play it as much as you like (as long as you don't delete it) until your console stops working.

So, yeah, not getting a physical release wouldn't be the end of the world. It's more about the nostalgia for me. I still have the Genesis cartridges, so a disc release would be rather fitting with Mania being 32-bit Saturn-esque inspired as JezMM said.

...and yes, Nintendo getting a "physical copy" exclusivity deal would feel like a kick in the teeth to PS4, Xb1 & Steam owners because of Nintendo's previous exclusivity deal which wasn't a success, but I guess it's no big deal. As long as we get Mania and it's awesome (on all platforms) and there isn't any exclusive content to a physical release, then...

Image result for lisa simpson like you know whatever

• Thumbs Up 4

I already ordered the collectors edition for the PS4, but If Sonic Mania is getting a physical release on the Switch, then i'll definitely consider double dipping. 

I may be triple dipping. I already preordered the PS4 collectors edition and PC version (because mods), but a physical Switch version is huge incentive for me to get a Switch earlier than expected. 

A physical version on the Switch would completely reinforce my decision to preorder the Switch. Right now Zelda is the only game I'm truly interested in for the launch window but I want to be able to take it on the go because I ride trains a lot.

I was really disappointed that the collectors edition just comes with a download code. Something about getting Mania on a cartridge would be very special.

12 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I'm planning on getting the digital version on PS4. Is the game gonna be $40?

No price has been confirmed.

56 minutes ago, Zippo said:

No price has been confirmed.

True. Seeing as the Collector's Edition is $70, maybe the game alone would be around $40-$60.

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

True. Seeing as the Collector's Edition is $70, maybe the game alone would be around $40-$60.

Given how it's a downloadable 2D game, I seriously doubt that. If a Switch physical version is coming, my guess is that it would be priced $30-40 at the most, like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Also, someome should totally photoshop the art from the Collector's Edition onto the Switch boxart.

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

I would assume that it'd be cheaper than that. The collectors edition comes with a lot of cool stuff that justify the high price tag. The game alone I could see being $10 ~ $20 at best. 

• Thumbs Up 3

$40-60 would be a ripoff for a digital game. Most games released on digital that don't have a physical release go in the $10-25 range.

The only thing of interest to come from today's twitch stream:

They are going to start streaming more frequently, like twice a month (on Thursday's). Mania will appear in their next stream which will be just before Hedgehog Day.

Expect news/some teasing on Hedgehog day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering the collector's edition is $70, I think 15-20 seems appropriate for Mania's digital pricing. Maybe like 25 for physical, tops. Thing is, that collector's edition comes with a gigantic foot tall statue that fucking shouts "SEGA!" at you, that's where the bulk of the cost is coming from.

Here's hoping that Switch physical copy announcement comes in a stream within the next few weeks. The more I think about, the more I want it.