Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

9 minutes ago, EllieBot said:

So apparently:

Anddddd preordering. Gotta have one.

Also, guessing that's on the back of the card?

C2EZKGUVEAA8ifi-1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

LOL!

People still seriously believe this?

Edit: Misunderstood the question.

Given that Nintendo themselves had stated as such after Lost World's announcement and (as far as I remember, someone prove me wrong) that the games did sell better on their platforms than Xbox or PS3 (can't comment on Wii U, but Wii did pretty well)

AFAIK, Sonic does MUCH better on PlayStation of all places, especially the classic tittles. I remember Sonic CD stayed on the top 10 most downloaded PSN game for months and months. And both Adventure games also have a great number of downloads per month.

So yeah. Sonic on Nintendo, still weird for me, but no, it AIN'T its best place.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jango said:

AFAIK, Sonic does MUCH better on PlayStation of all places, especially the classic tittles. I remember Sonic CD stayed on the top 10 most downloaded PSN game for months and months. And both Adventure games also have a great number of downloads per month.

So yeah. Sonic on Nintendo, still weird for me, but no, it AIN'T its best place.

I agree. Sonic CD & Sonic Adventure 2 (2012) stayed in the top 10 PSN charts for ages.

Although, to be fair I'd imagine Sonic games have generally sold well and have a strong following on 3DS. The Sonic games on the Wii U (the three exclusive-games deal) didn't sell well due to the Wii U's overall poor performance, but was made worse by the fact that SLW, Rise of Lyric & M&S Olympics were all pretty rubbish games. Whereas Mania looks like it's going to be excellent and should play well on all platforms.

I have no problem with Mania being on Switch, gives it all the more chance to have stronger sales. However, the fact is with 50 million-units sold (more than double Xb1) and a massive user-base Mania has to sell well on PS4 if it is to be a success.

Edit:

Here's a few seconds footage of Mania running on Nintendo Switch. Credit to......... @Slingerland

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BlueTidalGamer said:

Green Hill's theme has been changed slightly. 

That's not technically new, it's just something hardly anyone notices.

33 minutes ago, FReaK said:

sadly there is nothing new.

That's the first time we've seen footage of Sonic & Tails and multi-player co-op in Green Hill. 

I really hope someone uploads footage of S&T exploring the highest route in Green Hill. I want to see where it goes.

I may actually consider getting Mania on the Switch as well as the Xbox One. Since I'll be getting the Switch much later, I'll be getting the Xbox One version first so I can have Mania sooner, then I'll get it on the Switch just to have a portable version I can play everywhere. I guess you could call me a "Sonic Maniac." XD

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, EllieBot said:

I agree. Sonic CD & Sonic Adventure 2 (2012) stayed in the top 10 PSN charts for ages.

Although, to be fair I'd imagine Sonic games have generally sold well and have a strong following on 3DS. The Sonic games on the Wii U (the three exclusive-games deal) didn't sell well due to the Wii U's overall poor performance, but was made worse by the fact that SLW, Rise of Lyric & M&S Olympics were all pretty rubbish games. Whereas Mania looks like it's going to be excellent and should play well on all platforms.

I have no problem with Mania being on Switch, gives it all the more chance to have stronger sales. However, the fact is with 50 million-units sold (more than double Xb1) and a massive user-base Mania has to sell well on PS4 if it is to be a success.

Edit:

Here's a few seconds footage of Mania running on Nintendo Switch. Credit to......... /profile/408-slingerland/" rel="">@Slingerland

Also, with Nintendo, the vast majority of games are character platformers/action. And quite frankly, any owner of a Nintendo console would rather play/invest a Zelda, Kirby, Smash or Mario over Sonic.

I grew up with the PS1. I also had a NES, a Genesis and a Dreamcast, but the PS1 was the console I owned the longest. I loved, and I still love, to play character platformers, and fuck me, did the original PS had great platformers. Crash, Spyro, Croc, Tomba, MediEvil, Ape Escape, Rayman... And like many PS1 owners, I moved to the PS2, and later to the PS3. I found home on the vast number of platformers on PSN, especially indies, an idea Sony always seems to be investing. THERE ARE A LOT OF GREAT INDIE GAMES ON PSN, MY GOD. And they're mostly platformers.

That's kinda of a theory, but I believe Sonic has a larger public on PlayStation, due to its long history with character platformers and the nostalgia factor.

But back to Sonic Mania, you guys think they could do something like this:

81wn8ogRUfL._UX569_.jpg

Eggman dressed to match the zone's trope?! And I would love if Eggman could speak in this game, even if only a "I'll get you Sonic!". With that nostalgic low-quality and chopped sound and eveything :D

Nintendo's Sonic Mania trailer is the fourth most viewed trailer of the past 24 hours. Close to a million views. Only behind Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart. It's beating Splatoon and Xenoblade.

Screenshot_2017-01-13-21-13-15-1.png

• Thumbs Up 4

WOW! Really?

That's pretty rad, nice to see a lot of people are really stoked for Mania in the Nintendo crowd.

6 minutes ago, Soni said:

WOW! Really?

That's pretty rad, nice to see a lot of people are really stoked for Mania in the Nintendo crowd.

Not really much of a surprise. SOnic's always been a big deal with the Ninty crowd, especially since he started his third party career with 'em.

6th gen SOnic games such as Sonic Heroes and Shadow on Gamecube being regarded as the most tight versions, Unwiished and Colors, the handhelds, etc, selling as well as they did and more.

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Not really much of a surprise. SOnic's always been a big deal with the Ninty crowd, especially since he started his third party career with 'em.

6th gen SOnic games such as Sonic Heroes and Shadow on Gamecube being regarded as the most tight versions, Unwiished and Colors, the handhelds, etc, selling as well as they did and more.

Heroes and Shadow being the better versions on the Gamecube doesn't really mean a whole when they're still subpar games and besides didn't the PS2 version of those games sold the most, which were also the worst versions?

The only notable big sellers of Sonic were Advance and Rush, not sure how well 2 or 3 did compared to one. And Rush Adventure bombed harder than the Boom games.

Though I will give you credit Colors.

There is an audience for Sonic in Nintendo systems but it's not as big as it seems but I guess, it doesn't help most Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games were meh to bad; with a couple being any good.

1 minute ago, Soni said:

There is an audience for Sonic in Nintendo systems

it doesn't help most Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games were meh to bad; with a couple being any good.

Pretty much sums the situation up.

Nintendo's portion of the Sonic fanbase is just as strong if not stronger than Sony's, definitely stronger than the Xbox line fanbase.

While not most Nintendo exclusives are bad, yeah, I'll admit RoL and the recent Olympics game (why that was even a part of the exclusivity deal is beyond me) stunk up bad, prompting not-so-good sales.

Lost World is the exception, and even that one wasn't amazing all around.

Well, as @Dejimon11 points out on twitter, the Switch trailer on Nintendo's channel has surpassed 1.15 MILLION (as of right now, just checked) views, despite it being no different than just the addition of the Switch logo in the end.

C2G-lUTWEAEHegj.jpg

Wow, it's like Nintendo fans are mad about Sonic or something, who da thunk it? ;)

Edit: OH MY GOD, it's far ahead of SPLATOON 2 which is at 823k. O_o

Nintendo fans were STARVING for Mania weren't they? O_o

Granted, Splatoon 2's trailer was shown in the presentation but Sonic's wasn't, but AGAIN, it's just a re-used trailer. That's shocking honestly, regardless of how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo fans are particularly fond of platformers, and despite what some people may think, Sonic.

Sonic typically does well on Nintendo. However, it's important to recognise that despite the nintendo online presence, the Mania Team needs to be successful with the massive install base of PS4.

It's also worth keeping in mind that Mania is an interesting game in the desert of interesting Switch games. It may be receiving attention from non Nintendo game fans who are just looking at the Switch out of curiosity and are drawn to Sonic from the frankly poor game line up.

Still, I think we can all agree that it's a good thing the game is coming to Switch.

Here's some Switch footage. It's an IGN video so there's nothing of interest :V

The guy playing through Green Hill towards the end has clearly never played a Sonic game before.

1 hour ago, EllieBot said:

Here's some Switch footage. It's an IGN video so there's nothing of interest :V

The guy playing through Green Hill towards the end has clearly never played a Sonic game before.

This has been the case with literally every IGN Sonic video ever.