Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Here's hoping that Switch physical copy announcement comes in a stream within the next few weeks. The more I think about, the more I want it.

I really, really hope we get a release date out of the stream. Give me that and they can show off nothing but Green Hill from now until launch and I'd be perfectly happy.

I've been pretty worried about the game potentially not making a Spring release, I guess I'm just conditioned to be doubtful of launch windows and whatnot, Persona 5 in particular has torn down my faith in that kind of thing. However, I bet SEGA is really pushing for this to release before Sonic's 26th anniversary begins. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a real strong effort to launch before June. But hey who knows. Them giving out a release date soon would make it feel a lot more real.

11 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

True. Seeing as the Collector's Edition is $70, maybe the game alone would be around $40-$60.

No way the game is over $30. I'd say it'd say $20-25.

The most recent, closest comparison I could think of is Sonic 4 Episode 2 (just in terms of being a digital game, don't worry). The date reveal trailer for that came out April 6 2012 and the game started rolling out just over a month later from May 15th.

Since we're in the unusual spot of being in the know about two upcoming Sonic games (one a lot more than the other), I could see them doing "something" for Hedgehog Day for the first time since...well, the first one depending on what their plans are. If the game's still on track for a Spring release, and there's no indicator right now that it isn't, then it could be anywhere between March and May.

I'd put my money on April for Sonic Mania. That'd give the team another couple of months to build hype and then enjoy the big launch. With Mania done and dusted, SEGA would then be able to focus on Project 2017. While I can understand them not wanting to talk about 2017 yet with Mania on the horizon, but vice-versa they aren't going to want Mania to continue to overshadow or compete with 2017 once the former has been released. I'd hazard a guess at Project 2017 getting a press release with a brief gameplay/story trailer sometime in May and then a proper look during E3. If they're still feeling confident about what's to come, it'd allow enough time after release for the good word to spread about Mania and they can then keep building on that with showing off their big new 3D project.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Joy said:

The most recent, closest comparison I could think of is Sonic 4 Episode 2 (just in terms of being a digital game, don't worry). The date reveal trailer for that came out April 6 2012 and the game started rolling out just over a month later from May 15th.

Since we're in the unusual spot of being in the know about two upcoming Sonic games (one a lot more than the other), I could see them doing "something" for Hedgehog Day for the first time since...well, the first one depending on what their plans are. If the game's still on track for a Spring release, and there's no indicator right now that it isn't, then it could be anywhere between March and May.

I'd put my money on April for Sonic Mania.

Personally I think mid-to-late May. It gives them enough time to finish things up without running past the anniversary.

I think a lot of my worrying that it will be pushed past Spring is just because so many other games I've been hyped for have been delayed. My expectations have become pretty low as a result, and it's made me a bit of a cynic when it comes to release windows. But the more I think about it, the more I can't believe SEGA would allow Mania to release after the 25th anniversary year is done.

I don't know if SEGA are really thinking of Sonic's 25th Anniversary with the release date of this game. 

My reason being that Sonic Team's recent mindset of releasing a game once it's done instead of pulling a Sonic '06 again, they simply can't afford to that again. Personally can't see Sonic Mania getting delayed? If it is I wouldn't worry about it, partially for reasons stated above, and most likely to would be time used to remove any bugs in the code. Given Christian Whitehead has made it clear in the past that they are trying to make it as clean as possible I'm feeling good about the game's quality. ;) 

4 hours ago, Joy said:

I'd put my money on April for Sonic Mania. That'd give the team another couple of months to build hype and then enjoy the big launch. With Mania done and dusted, SEGA would then be able to focus on Project 2017. While I can understand them not wanting to talk about 2017 yet with Mania on the horizon, but vice-versa they aren't going to want Mania to continue to overshadow or compete with 2017 once the former has been released. I'd hazard a guess at Project 2017 getting a press release with a brief gameplay/story trailer sometime in May and then a proper look during E3. If they're still feeling confident about what's to come, it'd allow enough time after release for the good word to spread about Mania and they can then keep building on that with showing off their big new 3D project.

This is what I think the most likely outcome is. The next two weeks will be very interesting. We have a live stream on nico nico next week that will most likely give us new information, and then Hedgehog Day is the week after, something is most likely will show up there too, especially with Aaron saying there will be livestreams more often now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think they will show off GHZ2 on the niconico stream, and then the release date and maybe some story details on hedgehog day. maybe a first look at the special stage? since spring is almost here I dont think we have to wait that much longer.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:56 PM, Yoshi said:

There's gonna be a Japanese NicoNico livestream on Mania soon. Just make sure to know that you need a NicoNico account to watch streams on there.

Here's hoping they'll show off new information then.

Jesus Christ, That's 5:55am in my timezone. much eariler then most live streams in took part in. Well hopefully i can still watch it despite it, (Just need to get to bed eariler then usual.)

On 1/18/2017 at 0:56 PM, Yoshi said:

There's gonna be a Japanese NicoNico livestream on Mania soon. Just make sure to know that you need a NicoNico account to watch streams on there.

Here's hoping they'll show off new information then.

So, there is going to be a NicoNico stream? What time zone is it in, exactly? What time is it at US Mountain time?

58 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

So, there is going to be a NicoNico stream? What time zone is it in, exactly? What time is it at US Mountain time?

It's 8:55pm JST (Japan Standard Time.) and for your time zone, it'll be 4:55am (Damn.)

Just now, BlueBlur91 said:

It's 8:55pm JST (Japan's time zone) and for your time zone, it'll be 4:55am. (Damn.)

So, in the morning then? Alright, I will have to get up early, then.

On 18/01/2017 at 7:56 PM, Yoshi said:

8:55pm, that's 11:55am GMT in my country, wonder what they will reveal, most likely GHZ Act 2.

2 hours ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

8:55pm, that's 11:55am GMT in my country, wonder what they will reveal, most likely GHZ Act 2.

Probably that and maybe the physical version. (If the rumors are indeed true.)

10 hours ago, FReaK said:

I think they will show off GHZ2 on the niconico stream, and then the release date and maybe some story details on hedgehog day. maybe a first look at the special stage? since spring is almost here I dont think we have to wait that much longer.

That's what I'm thinking too. I can't imagine we'll have to wait long for a good look at GHZ Act 2 if they've already shown a photo from it. They left the transition in on some recent presentation IIRC so it sounds like they have a build with it ready to be shown.

I'm conflicted if I want to see the special stage. When I was a kid, for most of them I had no idea what I was getting into, and I have to learn on the fly. It made getting the emeralds on my first run incredibly difficult, and I kinda want to preserve that feeling going into Mania. I want to approach this game the same way I did with the originals, which was largely blind (like outside of TV spots and the back box, I knew jack shit about what to expect.)

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

Here's high quality placeholder Sonic Mania box art.

Courtesy of @GoldMetalSonic

sonic_mania_nintendo_switch_boxart_by_goldmetalsonic-davq50s (1).png

You mean mock-up. ;)

I just got lucky it's using the same art, and I didn't even create it, I got it off of the Sonic website:

cover-sonicmania.png

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

The 4th character :D

Maybe because the original trailer was only shown at a relatively small event just for Sonic fans, while the Nintendo trailer got shown at a fairly large general Nintendo event, thus having a much bigger audience of people who will watch it for curiosity's sake (but a portion of them won't necessarily decide to get it). 

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, it's mighty impressive the number of views the trailer (both prior and since the Switch announcement) has received. It was put together really well. Definitely one of my favorite Sonic trailers and I'm looking forward to the next (and as we understand will be the final) trailer.

Tomorrow will mark six months since Mania was first announced. SIX.....FUCKING......MONTHS! It's been one hell of a ride. Getting so close to release :wub:

My monies on a May release date. Can't come soon enough!

I've read a lot of articles online over the holiday period where Mania is listed as one of fans stand-out titles to look forward to this year. THE HYPE IS REAL. 

As for more new footage prior to release, I'd prefer to see an act from one of the other re-imagined zones instead of Green Hill's second act. With GH being the first level in the game I don't want the entire zone spoiled. We've already seen a screenshot of act2 and that's probably enough for now.

I really want to see footage of Iizuka playing through one of Sonic 2's remade stages. It was surreal watching him playing through Mirage Saloon.

I don't expect anything honestly. When Sonic Mania gets new information, it's usually from the West. Not from Japan, We didn't get Mirage Saloon from Japan, we didn't get Sonic Mania for the Switch from Japan, (it was posted on Nintendo of America's Youtube Channel first.) we didn't get the reveal of the collectors edition from Japan, we didn't get that screenshot of GHZ act 2 from Japan, we didn't get the CRT filter news from Japan, all of this comes purely from the west. (USA/Europe)

Hell even when the thanksgiving party happened back in December, they didn't say anything regarding Mania there. So my personal expectation, is that they're just going to show off stuff that we already know about, and show off new stuff next month or the month after.