Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

18 minutes ago, Tara said:

Ah, my mistake. I didn't even know there were any Flash alternatives that didn't, you know, suck, so I must be a little out of the loop. XD

Chances are if there's a piece of software, that there's some of alternative for it. Like LibreOffice to Microsoft Office or Sony Vegas Pro is to Adobe Pemier Pro. It's usually the case of "There's this software I like to use, but I think I can do something better".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Chances are if there's a piece of software, that there's some of alternative for it. Like LibreOffice to Microsoft Office or Sony Vegas Pro is to Adobe Pemier Pro. It's usually the case of "There's this software I like to use, but I think I can do something better".

I know that.  But not every industry has a large pool of alternatives that are actually good.  Animation software isn't generally that great unless you get something actually reputable, at least from my limited experience.  LibreOffice is great for free, but it does have a lot of features that I miss from Microsoft Office.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tara said:

I know that.  But not every industry has a large pool of alternatives that are actually good.  Animation software isn't generally that great unless you get something actually reputable, at least from my limited experience.  LibreOffice is great for free, but it does have a lot of features that I miss from Microsoft Office.

Of course. As someone who's trawled around with Linux for awhile, I can definitely noticed the lack of software for that OS. But yeah, that comment was more me musing more than anything.

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Almost every modern traditionally animated show on western TV does NOT use Flash; they use Toon Boom Harmony. The only exception I can think of right now of is Superjail, however the base Flash package has been so modified with extensions by that company that it doesn't really function like Flash anymore.

Overall, Flash is still good for hobbyists and small projects due to being cheap, easy to learn, and easily modifiable with free extensions out there. After all, the "Ghost" animated music video is Flash and it doesn't suffer for it. The same goes for browser games as well even though HTML 5 and Unity and other more robust programs are on the scene now.

Flash is still used prominently, mainly at Titmouse I believe.

I go to the School of Visual Arts currently and the major programs we use are ToonBoom, Flash, and TVPaint.

Most students use Flash since it could be easily pirated (that's how I got Photoshop) and don't have to spend $600+ for Creative Cloud but I don't know the same could be said for Animate. ToonBoom is free for the students here for a limited time. TVPaint can also easily be torrented since it's just as expensive. 

I'm still learning digital but I'm most comfortable with ToonBoom at the moment. Although I would love to try out TVP in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I know 100% Titmouse uses it on Superjail, but that's about all I've heard about the specifics of their shows (I've heard rumblings that things like Squidbillies and ATHF were actually in Adobe After Affects(?), which wouldn't surprise me all that much). But most major programs like Steven Universe, Regular Show, Teen Titans, the 2D in Gumball, and basically all of Disney's animated shows like Gravity Falls, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and The Lion Guard are done in Toon Boom and Photoshop. I would surmise this trends towards true with Nick's stuff as well nowadays.

At SCAD, we've dumped Flash entirely and we use Toon Boom for digital traditional, as well as Digicel for the classic paper and pencil stuff. In 2009 I know we had a general computer applications class where Flash was touched upon, but after that I didn't really see it again; I'm not even sure it's still in that class's curriculum. TVPaint I hear is really great too, and some stuff I've seen on Tumblr that uses it is mighty impressive, but ultimately I haven't been able to test drive it myself either. xP

• Thumbs Up 4

I think series like Aqua Teen and Squidbillies rely on After Effects since there's not much movement going on in the first place. I'd be surprised if Space Ghost C2C used it too since it's done by the same people. 

At SVA, we have a close relationship with ToonBoom so we were able to get a student deal going on to have it free for classmates. For classic paper animation, we used DragonFrame for a majority of the semester then used ToonBoom PencilCheck (?) for pencil tests and such. TV Paint is great as I see fellow students create masterful stuff, I really need to try that out. I think TVP is more popular outside the US. 

I think we even have a class for Flash but it's purely for puppeting and rigging for the most part. We skimped over it in Digital Comp. class as we used it for a lip-sync assignment and that was it.

Man I wished I knew more about After Effects because it's so intimidating. 

After Effects is only really useful to you to know on a proficient level if you're going into motion graphics or editing. It can be used for animated films (one student did a one-minute abstract short called "Purple" entirely in After Effects that blew us all away), but it's not built for that. Editing and scrubbing sound alone in After Effects is a fucking nightmare. Really, all you need it for in terms of animation is to use it to edit together and render out your final scenes and credits for overall projects, and maybe to do color corrections if you need to, which you can learn with YouTube tutorials. Otherwise, don't bother. xP

• Thumbs Up 3

45 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

After Effects is only really useful to you to know on a proficient level if you're going into motion graphics or editing. It can be used for animated films (one student did a one-minute abstract short called "Purple" entirely in After Effects that blew us all away), but it's not built for that. Editing and scrubbing sound alone in After Effects is a fucking nightmare. Really, all you need it for in terms of animation is to use it to edit together and render out your final scenes and credits for overall projects, and maybe to do color corrections if you need to, which you can learn with YouTube tutorials. Otherwise, don't bother. xP

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Our Digi. Composite class last year did mainly After Effects and nothing else. Our teacher wasn't too great either (we assumed from the start she had problems since she smelt like cigarettes) and didn't care the slightest. You had to do a hundred and one things just to pan something. AE was a total clusterfuck for me and I never touched the program since. 

Thankfully ToonBoom pretty much does all of that and more. And it's easier to use. 

Fun fact: Sonic Paradox uses Flash AND Toon Boom. The Bubble Trouble short in Volume 8, for example, used Toon Boom. However just about the rest of the volume was made in Flash.

• Thumbs Up 1

213. 21/3 or 3/21

Or Sonic 1,2,3. Sonic Jam 2.

EDIT: God damn, was i late to that party or what?

• Thumbs Up 2

I may be one the handful of people here, but I recognize that 213 area code. How I recognize it? Well there was this show on Blog Talk Radio with a guy named Ghost....

Well anyway, I still still find that little thing Aaron and guys did to be quite funny. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, TCB said:

I may be one the handful of people here, but I recognize that 213 area code. How I recognize it? Well there was this show on Blog Talk Radio with a guy named Ghost....

Whoever he is, he sounds like a Melting Pot of Friendship.

• Thumbs Up 8

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Whoever he is, he sounds like a Melting Pot of Friendship.

Oh he is definitely (allegedly) a nice guy. He tends to stress that a lot while in a can swimming rage.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh man, I remember Ghost. He briefly returned sometime around November 2015, but then he left again. Who knows if he's ever coming back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Leaked plot details: "Dr. Eggman has teamed up with a mysterious new villain with equal technological knowledge, The Engineer, and has buried South Island under a colossal heap of empty booze cans! Sonic must reluctantly team up with the infamous Ghost the Angry Racist Jewish Hambone who also wishes to stop his ex-henchman, with the combined powers of Sonic's speed and Ghost's can-sweeping skills!

Rise against the Deadly Duo!

Sponsored by Lone Star® Beer"

12 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

Oh man, I remember Ghost. He briefly returned sometime around November 2015, but then he left again. Who knows if he's ever coming back.

Oh damn, Ghost returned and I missed it??

• Thumbs Up 4

19 hours ago, TCB said:

Well anyway, I still still find that little thing Aaron and guys did to be quite funny. 

Oh, how I miss that fruity hambone bastard. Still waiting on those Ghosties he promised for December.

• Thumbs Up 5

So this hapened on TSSZ:  http://www.tssznews.com/2016/03/07/rumor-ben-kalough-spotted-in-the-california-bay-area/

You may ask why am I posting that? That's because, besides them doing a joke, that just may have something in comone with Sonic's 25 anniversary. Why? Well, quoting Donnie:

"there’s actually a legitimate reason for this article…can’t say at this time though."

He can't say know. And it isn't first thing like that in comunity.

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/705106549354668036

And when I ask them when will they say about it they answered:

"I'd say in 1-2 weeks"

Maybe I'm overthinking. But something seems fishy about that article. It's still a month untill April 1st.

23 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Probably a TSSZ thing, not a Sega thing.

Anyway, moving on to actual news. New Sonic plushes coming this year.... and guess what, they're classic again.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/03/toy-factory-reveals-new-classic-sonic-tails-plushies/

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Excuse me, but this is very much related to Sega. As you can see Ben Kalough is a former member of Sega of Antartica, and was thought to be dead for the past four years. Him re-appearing like this is clearly big news!

1 minute ago, TimmiT said:

Excuse me, but this is very much related to Sega. As you can see Ben Kalough is a former member of Sega of Antartica, and was thought to be dead for the past four years. Him re-appearing like this is clearly big news!

Is he going to get a job which involves him not knowing if he's a clone or an android only to discover that he's actually part alien?

• Thumbs Up 2

Ben Kalough? This is bringing me back to when I used to browse the SEGA forum and Sonic 4 was about to come out. Can't forget about the Sonic 2: DIMPS edition trailer. Sonic 2 as you've always imagined it.

1 hour ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Is he going to get a job which involves him not knowing if he's a clone or an android only to discover that he's actually part alien?

Thats iizukas job

Shth was a autobiography 

2 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

You say that...

ohaiaaronpls.png

I can't say anything, but mostly because there's nothing I could really add on to this. Other than the fact that I made that article to tease something that multiple people are involved with, I'm pretty much as clueless as you guys are.