Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

1 2 Switch looks like your standard "showing off tech" game. Like Kinect Adventures, I guess. Don't think it's worth 50 bucks, but eh. I'll pick it up when it goes on sale, the games look fun.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I think it could be a lot of fun at gatherings, but it doesn't look like it's worth $50. It definitely should've been a pack-in.

This. Will lose it's novelty very quickly, like Wii Sports.

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

This. Will lose it's novelty very quickly, like Wii Sports.

I dunno; Wii Sports entertained my friends and I for quite some time. That said, I doubt this will be the case for 1-2-Switch.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

So like, what are people's thoughts on 1, 2 Switch so far? Cause I'm still confused on that thing 

You know, the more I think about it the more it feel's like the modern day Rob the Robot in the sense that while the on-screen stuff does have a role, the focus is mostly on the real-world action.

Just to illustrate that a bit better. Something like Wii Sports puts an awful lot of focus on the real-world action via the motion controls the focus is what's happening on screen, you're just using something different from traditional buttons to influence it. In the case of 1, 2 Switch, those movements and actions done with the controller essentially IS the game like in the Cowboy Draw event where the screen is really only used for displaying results and the like so you actually know who won.

It's definitely an interesting idea, and one that fits with Nintendo's marketing of the switch being an inviting experience as well as an individual one. It's not full retail price levels of interesting but if we're just judging the game based on its own merits I think it's got enough appeal to be a fun party game. In fact it'd probably become more fun the more boozed-up the participants become!

Apparently, Zelda runs smoother in handheld mode. How odd.

2 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I dunno; Wii Sports entertained my friends and I for quite some time. That said, I doubt the same will be said for 1-2-Switch.

Eh, my family and I were having much more fun with Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 that Christmas than Wii Sports, but that's just our experience.

I feel like 1 2 Switch is pretty far removed from how simple and clever Wii Sports was personally. Either that or I've just become too jaded for this type of thing.

It's also not a pack in and I ain't paying $60 for that shit, so I think I'm gonna pass.

• Thumbs Up 4

Where the fuck is Wii Sports 3 Switch Sports you know what, just call it Mii Sports. It's time, the world is ready for another one of those good, good sports video games starring everyone's favourite console avatars.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Apparently, Zelda runs smoother in handheld mode. How odd.

I saw this earlier. Makes me wonder if the Wii U version won't have this issue since I think it natively runs at 720p, doesn't it?

I've been interested in 1-2-Switch ever since I've seen the table tennis, swordfighting, and baseball games, since they seem to be pretty fleshed out, and the board-game & team mode looks like it'd be great fun for family and friend get togethers, as are all the minigames... But I dunno about it still.

The reason Wii Sports & Wii Sports resort worked, was that they were basically casual arcade games, and their sport and motion control nature had pretty long lasting appeal. Even to this day, I still hear people ask if anyone wants to play a game of bowling, swordfighting, or golf.

But 1-2-switch... Its much more a board and party game than not. And, in my experience, board and party games are played a couple times, then forgotten about pretty quickly. Baseball and table tennis, I might see playing 3-4 years down the line, but I highly doubt anyone I know will say, "Let's play a rousing game of Milk to pass the time!" in the same time-frame. It just..  Doesn't seem like it has that much appeal.

If I pre-order it from Amazon, I can cut it down to $40 with Prime, but even then... I dunno...

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I saw this earlier. Makes me wonder if the Wii U version won't have this issue since I think it natively runs at 720p, doesn't it?

It natively runs 720p, but is also on lesser hardware. However, I think it might anyway because the draw distance is probably lessened. If its at the same draw distance it might have that same stutter, though.

According to Andre, its noticeable at times, but isn't that bad and doesn't happen very often.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

That's right. Not sure how it'll run in Off-TV mode though, they haven't specified. Derrick also said in their experience that portable mode running better wasn't very frequent.

13 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I've been interested in 1-2-Switch ever since I've seen the table tennis, swordfighting, and baseball games, since they seem to be pretty fleshed out, and the board-game & team mode looks like it'd be great fun for family and friend get togethers, as are all the minigames... But I dunno about it still.

The reason Wii Sports & Wii Sports resort worked, was that they were basically casual arcade games, and their sport and motion control nature had pretty long lasting appeal. Even to this day, I still hear people ask if anyone wants to play a game of bowling, swordfighting, or golf.

But 1-2-switch... Its much more a board and party game than not. And, in my experience, board and party games are played a couple times, then forgotten about pretty quickly. Baseball and table tennis, I might see playing 3-4 years down the line, but I highly doubt anyone I know will say, "Let's play a rousing game of Milk to pass the time!" in the same time-frame. It just..  Doesn't seem like it has that much appeal.

If I pre-order it from Amazon, I can cut it down to $40 with Prime, but even then... I dunno...

I dunno, to me, with 1-2 Switch, it seems like they're just giving the "let's go for the casuals/non gamers!" thing one more shot, at least for consoles. If it doesn't pan out, then they can put the full focus on their core titles instead.

There's the possibility that setting the Switch to 720P once it's in the dock might help sidestep the framerate jitters assuming it's caused by the default increased output to 900P. Obviously not the most ideal solution if it works but at least it'd be an option if you're willing to take that hit for a bit more smoothness.

33 minutes ago, Joy said:

There's the possibility that setting the Switch to 720P once it's in the dock might help sidestep the framerate jitters assuming it's caused by the default increased output to 900P. Obviously not the most ideal solution if it works but at least it'd be an option if you're willing to take that hit for a bit more smoothness.

Andre confirmed that setting it to 480p doesn't change anything, so its unlikely 720p does.

Honestly if someone gets theirs early  does it matter. The vc isn't out yet and only big games atm are bomberman and Zelda. Not like there's 90 games floating around. By this i mean there are no worries well all get to that point

From what I've experienced at a Switch hands-on event 2 days ago, 1 2 Switch is kind of okay. The mini-games feel fun and innovative (Ball Count was the one that struck out to me due to the HD Rumble being so surreal) and even with 6 total strangers in the office it felt like the kind of game you can get along with others pretty easily (heck, even made some new friends after the console showcase!). It was a unique experience to say the least.

However, besides multiplayer gatherings I'm not sure if there's something else going to the game for single players that justifies the 50€ cost. Also, while the games feel unique I think something like Wii Sports feels more engaging to the casual crowd. Not sure why, maybe it's the sports theme Wii Sports had, or maybe it's the traditional premise of having to stare at your screen to know the action rather than, in this case, the opponent, leaving the game immersion up to your game partners themselves. Right now I'm having a bit of a tough time remembering the game itself besides the funny faces and motions the other player pulled off, lol.

I'd guess it's worth it if the player's the kind of person that hangs out a lot with friends, but with a price tag like that it might be pretty tough to see widespread use.

Edited by Mystwalker
Fixing stuff here and there.

Something I'm curious about following the hardware previews and the Joy Con concerns, were these problems ever going on when attached to the main controller?

Follwoing Game Explain's demonstration video I can't see myself having too much of a problem if distance and barriers are the main concerns here.

So, John Cena is Hype

http://mashable.com/2017/02/24/nintendo-switch-john-cena/#mW8O8QRgdmqO

Nintendo Switch impressions from 16-time WWE champion John Cena

WWE Superstar John Cena played the Nintendo Switch at a pop-up event in California yesterday and he wants gamers to know one thing: the hype is real.

We were able to talk to Cena over the phone a day after he was spotted in the desert with a Nintendo Switch playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and 1-2-Switch. Although the two games are pretty different experiences, he loved both.

"Dude, I haven't played Zelda since gold-cartridge Zelda,” Cena said, referring to the first two Legend of Zelda games that came out for the NES in the ‘80s. “I got on Breath of the Wild and they had to take it away from me."

Cena is a self-professed lover of 8-bit games, having grown up in the '80s as home consoles were in a video game boom.

"I’m a relic from a bygone era," he said. "If I were to walk around in my game personality, I would be an 8-bit graphic interface. That was my sweet spot."

He ran through a list of some of his favorite games from his childhood: Tecmo Super Bowl, Baseball Stars, Castlevania, Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, Ikari Warriors, Metal Gear, Super Mario Bros., Urban Champion

"I was at the right age when the Nintendo explosion happened in ‘84/’85."

"That was my youth, man, I was at the right age when the Nintendo explosion happened in ‘84/’85," Cena said. "I got my first 8-bit system in ‘85 so I remember Nintendo Power subscriptions. I remember when The Wizard came out — they showcased the Power Glove for the first time. I remember losing in Track and Field to a kid who had the NES Advantage [controller] and the turbo button and I was blown away. He should’ve been tested for PEDs because he had the unfair controller."

After playing the new Zelda game, Cena talked about how he liked that it's a play-anywhere game, both because you can undock the Switch and play it as a mobile console and because you can go anywhere in the game.

"You don’t have to follow the story of the game, you can go anywhere, do anything, and there’s adventures to be had outside the underlying storyline adventure of the game," he said. 

The "Doctor of Thuganomics" John Cena plays the Nintendo Switch with the same hands that have delivered Five Knuckle Shuffles to countless professional wrestlers.

The "Doctor of Thuganomics" John Cena plays the Nintendo Switch with the same hands that have delivered Five Knuckle Shuffles to countless professional wrestlers.

Image: John Sciulli/Getty Images for Nintendo of America

Cena said he was impressed by the hardware of the Switch, particularly how it works as a mobile console. As a professional wrestler, Cena does a lot of traveling and these days he only plays games on his tablet, so the Switch is something he could see bringing in his bag thanks to its versatility.

He also likes the Switch as a home console, made evident by his affection for 1-2-Switch.

1-2-Switch is a party game made up of 28 different minigames that utilize the motion sensors, infrared sensors and HD rumble of the Switch's Joy-Con controllers. It's sort of like a cross between Wii Sports and WarioWare

"1-2-Switch is a game made for a dude like me — I love it," Cena said. "It's something that is very social and I think it’s really something that can be enjoyed by anyone."

The way the game makes players interact with each other would make it a fun centerpiece for an evening with friends, Cena said.

"What a fun way to spend an evening with a bunch of crazy adults having coffee or tea or whatever adult beverages you want to have."

"That’s a game that you want to get together with friends as adults and have a fun party night where everybody just flies off the handle — 1-2-Switch is built for that," he said, mentioning the game's team battle mode. "What a fun way to spend an evening with a bunch of crazy adults having coffee or tea or whatever adult beverages you want to have."

Cena particularly enjoyed the games Quick Draw, where players have to quickly draw their Joy-Con controllers like Wild West pistols, and Runway, where players have to walk like runway models, swaying their hips and striking poses. 

"I was horrible at the Samurai [Training] game, I just could not block the sword," he said. "I was cut in half numerous times."

Despite the struggle with Samurai Training, Cena said he would be down to play 1-2-Switch with fellow WWE Superstar Xavier Woods. Woods hosts his own video game show Up Up Down Down where he plays games with other WWE wrestlers.

"You may actually see my first appearance on the show if we can do that,” Cena said, adding that his absence from Up Up Down Down stems from him waiting for the right time.

16-time WWE champion John Cena playing the Nintendo Switch with people who have never even won a single WWE championship.

16-time WWE champion John Cena playing the Nintendo Switch with people who have never even won a single WWE championship.

Image: John Sciulli/Getty Images for Nintendo of America

Cena doesn't get along with every Superstar on the WWE roster, though. At Elimination Chamber this month, Cena lost the WWE World Championship title to Bray Wyatt. Given the opportunity to win his title back over 1-2-Switch, Cena explained which minigame he would choose to face Wyatt in.

“I would pick Fake Draw, and I will tell you why,” Cena said, his voice changed to a noticeable, more serious tone. “Because Bray Wyatt talks a lot — and I know I’ve been talking your ear off about video games in this interview — but if you listen to Bray Wyatt speak on SmackDown, he talks a lot, and he’s very prophetic when he talks and I think he gets caught up in his own words a lot. At Fake Draw, you really have to listen." 

Fake Draw is similar to Quick Draw, except instead of just saying "Fire," the game tries to mess you up and say things like "Fork" and "Five." If you draw at the wrong word, you lose.

"Bray Wyatt is very skilled in the ring, but he’s also one who likes to hear his own voice, and I think as far as Fake Draw is concerned, he would either fire early — which is a problem for some dudes, not for me — or he just wouldn’t be paying attention and I would be able to beat him to the draw.”

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Nah, John Cena is not hyped. John Cena just got paid more than likely for his time and publicity.

As the case with any celebrity used to promote something

1 hour ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Cena is a national treasure at this point. It's also always great to see the smaller YouTubers there like Andre.

Though, I do have a question. Isn't this all really awkward considering how the Switch more than likely isn't getting WWE 2K17 or anything?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Cena is a national treasure at this point. It's also always great to see the smaller YouTubers there like Andre.

Though, I do have a question. Isn't this all really awkward considering how the Switch more than likely isn't getting WWE 2K17 or anything?

2K is supporting Nintendo, so who knows, it's not been confirmed either way yet

I was just wondering: with the problems with the desynching of joycons and other stuff, do you think I should wait until they improve upon those issues at a later time before I get the Nintendo Switch?

13 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

I was just wondering: with the problems with the desynching of joycons and other stuff, do you think I should wait until they improve upon those issues at a later time before I get the Nintendo Switch?

That's actually a bit of misinformation. It's actually a bluetooth range connectivity issue. Interference causing issues. Close range works fine and handheld mode isn't an issue. If you were planning to get it before you still should

3 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

That's actually a bit of misinformation. It's actually a bluetooth range connectivity issue. Interference causing issues. Close range works fine and handheld mode isn't an issue. If you were planning to get it before you still should

Oh, I see. I actually preordered mine at a local Walmart, but if this weren't MISinformation, I'd probably be waiting until those issues would be fixed to get it from the store. Looks like I am getting it on day one.