Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Starting to have doubts about buying day 1. Maybe I should suck it up and get the Wii U version of Zelda until everything's sorted.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Starting to have doubts about buying day 1. Maybe I should suck it up and get the Wii U version of Zelda until everything's sorted.

Keep in mind that it's only IGN, and Wired (from what I've seen) that's given negative reviews so far (Wired was even worse, 5/10). I do think if you're really excited for BOTW, it might be wiser to go with the Wii U version, if for the fact that while it won't play as well as the Switch (Although I've heard a lot of the Wii U version's faults are seemingly over-exaggerated), it means that you can hold off and wait til a lot of the issues have been resolved with the Switch, and there's a stronger line up behind it. As great as BOTW will be (And it will be great), there isn't going to be much to do with the console after BOTW is done. 

I've been back and forth on this, but I'm probably now just getting the Wii U version instead. Or, in addition to. Its only because I can't afford a Switch yet, not because of issues with the hardware itself. I've already preordered the Switch version of BotW and I'm not cancelling that (its a Special Edition, if it wasn't the Special Edition I wouldn't care about my preorder too much).

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Keep in mind that it's only IGN, and Wired (from what I've seen) that's given negative reviews so far (Wired was even worse, 5/10). I do think if you're really excited for BOTW, it might be wiser to go with the Wii U version, if for the fact that while it won't play as well as the Switch (Although I've heard a lot of the Wii U version's faults are seemingly over-exaggerated), it means that you can hold off and wait til a lot of the issues have been resolved with the Switch, and there's a stronger line up behind it. As great as BOTW will be (And it will be great), there isn't going to be much to do with the console after BOTW is done. 

I really don't want any issues when I play the game though is the thing. I want it to run as smooth as possible. I've had the money since christmas so that's not a huge concern, and I want to grab Splatoon 2 so it's not like I'll be starving for games.

But some major hardware fuck up could hit me. Seems like I'm choosing between hardware or software issues here. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Josh said:

I really don't want any issues when I play the game though is the thing. I want it to run as smooth as possible. I've had the money since christmas so that's not a huge concern, and I want to grab Splatoon 2 so it's not like I'll be starving for games.

But some major hardware fuck up could hit me. Seems like I'm choosing between hardware or software issues here. 

Yeah, fair enough I guess. It pretty much just comes down if you think BOTW is worth hardware issues, although if the joycon controller issue isn't fixed soon, that could have a negative impact on your first playthrough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reviews have been mostly positive so far, hardware wise. But, it's interesting to note that most reviewers have also recommended waiting until more games are available, which is what i hear most people I know are planning to do. I think there would be a lot less criticism if at least Mario Kart was also there at launch.

40 minutes ago, Josh said:

Here's the thing, if you do have one of these relatively rare hardware issues, the system like all Nintendo ones come with a 2 year warranty, and they'll fix or replace the system, especially if it's widespread issue

6 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Here's the thing, if you do have one of these relatively rare hardware issues, the system like all Nintendo ones come with a 2 year warranty, and they'll fix or replace the system, especially if it's widespread issue

Oh I've had repairs done by them in the past. I know they'd handle it, but I'd be waiting to play Zelda for another week or two, y'know? I don't want to deal with that, lol.

So, how long do you guys think it will take to fix these issues like the joycon ones? Will it take more than a week?

Are these left Joycon issues exclusive to using the two halves separately, or was the desync issue also present when both Joycons are connected to the grip? If the grip sends the signal for both Joycons instead wouldn't it be better to just connect them to the grip that comes with the console? Other than half of GameXplain's video I haven't digged much into the issue yet (and during the time I tested the Switch live some days ago I had no issues with the Joycons whatsoever), hence I'm wondering here.

14 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

So, how long do you guys think it will take to fix these issues like the joycon ones? Will it take more than a week?

If it just requires increasing the power of the bluetooth signal that's probably day one.

Just now, Mystwalker said:

Are these left Joycon issues exclusive to using the two halves separately, or was the desync issue also present when both Joycons are connected to the grip? If the grip sends the signal for both Joycons instead wouldn't it be better to just connect them to the grip that comes with the console? Other than half of GameXplain's video I haven't digged much into the issue yet (and during the time I tested the Switch live some days ago I had no issues with the Joycons whatsoever), hence I'm wondering here.

The grip just gives you a solid base, and the separately purchasable version can also charge the joycons on its own. Otherwise, even on the grip its still using a bluetooth signal.

One theory I've heard is that its a glitch relating to detaching the Joycons from the console. When on the Switch itself, the Joycons have a lighter signal. When separating the joycons, the glitch doesn't increase the signal like its supposed to, so some obstacles are capable of blocking it. Either way, it works the same whether attached to the grip or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's also been tested, and hasn't been an issue with standalone joycons, so it should be fixable

4 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

It's also been tested, and hasn't been an issue with standalone joycons, so it should be fixable

So, it should be fixable by patch, you mean? If so, that's good.

12 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

So, it should be fixable by patch, you mean? If so, that's good.

That is apparently the case, it may be going out the same day as the Eshop patch, from what I've seen.

We've got more unannounced UE4 games on the way waiting for publisher announcement

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275065-nintendo-shares-pre-recorded-message-at-epic-games-gdc-panel-on#comments

Nintendo shares pre-recorded message at Epic Games' GDC panel on Unreal Engine 4

01 March, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 2

hapy.png

The following comes from Reggie Fils-Aime...

We at Nintendo are generally thrilled to partner with Epic Games in bringing Unreal Engine 4 support to the Switch. This has been the result of a joint commitment to give game developers a proven path for producing high quality games using the trusted tools and work-flows already familiar to Unreal developers.

Quality matters to both Nintendo and Epic. It shows in the games we make, the platforms we foster and the development tools we construct. Unreal is enabling a whole new group of developers to create games for Switch. High-quality games that take advantage of the hardware's unique ability to bring home console play with you wherever you go.

This partnership has built a developer pipeline that is already enabling a number of development teams to deploy Unreal Engine projects that are set to arrive on Switch. Announced games built on Unreal include the new installment in the Shin Megami Tensei series from Atlus, Snake Pass from Sumo Digital, and Redout, the retro-styled racing game from Nicalis and 34 Big Things.

What about unannounced games? Well, the developers themselves will speak up when the time is right. From our perspective, we can't wait. If you're interested in bringing content to the platform, we want to hear from you. We're ready to give approved Switch developers the support they need.

Thanks, and happy gaming.

wonder if MVCI might be one of them

28 minutes ago, Zippo said:

That is apparently the case, it may be going out the same day as the Eshop patch, from what I've seen.

So it wouldn't hurt to get the Switch day one, or would it still be better to wait it out?

3 hours ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

So it wouldn't hurt to get the Switch day one, or would it still be better to wait it out?

I say wait just a little longer, we'll know a lot more on Friday morning.

There will be plenty of Switches to go around if you are concerned about the JoyCon desync thing and want to wait a couple of weeks to see if it becomes widespread enough for Nintendo to work on it.

20 minutes ago, Tornado said:

There will be plenty of Switches to go around if you are concerned about the JoyCon desync thing and want to wait a couple of weeks to see if it becomes widespread enough for Nintendo to work on it.

This. Plus I'm not interested in any launch games so I can wait for MK8 Deluxe and Sonic mania.

IGN's review is quite exaggerated, I think, and mostly re-iterates things that we already long knew. If you didn't know this thing wasn't going to be an Xbone/PS4-level system and that the battery life isn't going to be all that great (but in line with systems that play games on the go these days), you've probably been living in a cave.

Also, I don't think I'll ever have issues with the connectivity for the joy-cons, since I'll likely have them only a few feet from my system at all times due to plugging it into my second monitor right next to my PC.

Really, I expect this thing to be a Nintendo/indie machine, but that's fine with me because I have a PC, which I consider a far better long-term investment for gaming than any console will ever be. My PS4 is functionally a Sony machine as well, and I don't have an Xbone because it's functionally redundant without any compelling exclusives.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just realized we're about 3 months away from what could possibly be Nintendo's best E3 in a decade. It's the one year where there's almost no way it can be underwhelming. 

Including rumors, we're already looking at what could be a fantastic lineup:

Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Switch
Pikmin 4
Mario Rabbids RPG (rumored)
Kirby 25th anniversary game
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odessey 
Pokemon Stars (rumored)
Super Smash Bros. Switch (rumored)
Retro Studios' new game
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Next Level Games' new project
Sakurai's new game
Metroid (rumored)
Mother 3 (rumored)

That's not even including surprises. We could be in for an incredible E3.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends

Yep, we finally have our day one online functionality of the Nintendo Switch and can confirm that the main way to add friends will be using Friend Codes.

The options in the Add Friend menu are:

• Search for Local Users
  • Search for Users You’ve Played With
  • Search with Friend Code (12 digit)
  • Sent Friend Requests

You can also add friends from Super Mario Run and Miitomo, which I’ve tested and it does work quite well.

Although, it looks like you’ll need to give someone a 12 digit friend code to add them if you haven’t played with them or aren’t in the same room.

Pictures Here

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

So when does the "part that justifies Nintendo charging money for this" come into play?

• Thumbs Up 2

They have had over 10 years to get the online network portion right. They had PSN and Xbox Live to use as examples... There isn't an excuse for them to continue the Friend Code crap. It's not a deal breaker but I just don't get their attachment to them.

6 minutes ago, Gregtaku91 said:

They have had over 10 years to get the online network portion right. They had PSN and Xbox Live to use as examples... There isn't an excuse for them to continue the Friend Code crap. It's not a deal breaker but I just don't get their attachment to them.

To protect kid's. 

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends

Pictures Here

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Well they do give other options but it is day 1