Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Yeah, I'm confused, too. I did this way back when My Nintendo first started. Is this something else, or did people just forget?

I think that's it. But honestly how many typical gamers check Thier account settings on occasion once it's set up. I picked my user ID a few weeks back since it was blank

Another demo tour is coming, including the Desert, Colorado, and Madison Square Garden. Oh and the first one is a private event where invited guests get to face off against John Cena, guess this is their NA equivelent to those recent Japanese 1,2 Switch celebrity guy commericials

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170221005734/en/

WWE Superstar John Cena Greets Visitors at the First Stop in the California Desert

To showcase this unprecedented new style of console gaming on the go, Nintendo is showcasing the versatility of Nintendo Switch across the country with highly visual, interactive living room-inspired spaces in places you would never expect, bringing surprises to every stop. (Photo: Business Wire)

To showcase this unprecedented new style of console gaming on the go, Nintendo is showcasing the versatility of Nintendo Switch across the country with highly visual, interactive living room-inspired spaces in places you would never expect, bringing surprises to every stop. (Photo: Business Wire)

Download

???pagination.previous??????pagination.next???
  • To showcase this unprecedented new style of console gaming on the go, Nintendo is showcasing the versatility of Nintendo Switch across the country with highly visual, interactive living room-inspired spaces in places you would never expect, bringing surprises to every stop. (Photo: Business Wire)

February 21, 2017 08:00 AM Eastern Standard Time

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Imagine driving in the middle of the desert and seeing a couch, TV and video game system in the middle of nowhere, or skiing down the side of a mountain and seeing another one of these surprising setups sitting there in the snow, ready for a round of gaming. It’s a striking visual, sure, but it drives home the message of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo’s revolutionary new video game system that launches on March 3. Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system with the portability of a handheld. The system lets you take home video game experiences anywhere you go, offering you the freedom to play where, when and how you like.

“These unexpected locations perfectly highlight the features of the new system, as well as provide one-of-a-kind surprise-and-delight moments that Nintendo does best.”

Tweet this

To showcase this unprecedented new style of console gaming on the go, Nintendo is showcasing the versatility of Nintendo Switch across the country with highly visual, interactive living room-inspired spaces in places you would never expect, bringing surprises to every stop. The first Nintendo Switch experience will pop up in the desert at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch on Feb. 23. Invited guests will get the chance to enter the interactive space and experience different Nintendo Switch games, as well as delight in the novelty of playing these games in a completely unexpected locale.

To make the first stop even more exciting, John Cena will be the special guest at this location. As a WWE Superstar and actor who is as versatile as the Nintendo Switch console itself, the performer (and Nintendo fan) Cena is the perfect person to kick off this unique tour. Known for his charisma and family-friendly appeal, John Cena will showcase the face-to-face off-TV functionality of 1-2-Switch, a Nintendo Switch launch game that features hilarious activities like milking a cow and participating in a Wild West duel. Cena will play the game with invited fans and YouTube influencers, highlighting how fun it is to play 1-2-Switch using the innovative new Joy-Con controllers.

The second Nintendo Switch experience will pop up in Aspen, Colorado, on Feb. 27 at the popular Snowmass ski resort. Again, the unexpected location highlights that Nintendo Switch games can be played anywhere – even somewhere as remote as the side of a snowy mountain!

The final stop on the Nintendo Switch journey will be in Madison Square Park in New York on launch day, March 3. Surrounded by excited fans and curious onlookers, the event will kick off a new era in Nintendo gaming. Two famous (and super) brothers named Mario and Luigi will also attend the final event to celebrate launch day.

“The upcoming launch of the unique Nintendo Switch console calls for a unique series of celebrations,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “These unexpected locations perfectly highlight the features of the new system, as well as provide one-of-a-kind surprise-and-delight moments that Nintendo does best.”

Each of these Nintendo Switch experiences will be an absolute spectacle, featuring visuals that remind people of home gaming, but set in wildly unexpected places. Seeing these familiar settings set against dazzling backdrops like the open desert, snowy mountains and bustling city will drive home how Nintendo Switch transforms any space into a place to play.

The specific times and locations for each event are as follows:

• The Desert – Invite only
    Feb. 23, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. PT
    Blue Cloud Movie Ranch
    20019 Blue Cloud Rd.
    Santa Clarita, CA 91390
  • Aspen – Open to the public
    Feb. 27, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. MT
    Snowmass Village
    45 Village Square
    Snowmass Village, CO 81615
  • New York – Open to the public
    March 3, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET
    Flatiron Plaza
    Broadway between 23rd and 24th St.
    New York, NY 10010

Nintendo Switch launches worldwide on March 3 at a suggested retail price of $299.99. Two stylish versions of the system will be released: a version with a set of gray Joy-Con, and a version with one neon blue and one neon red Joy-Con. Both versions will have the same suggested retail price.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to handheld mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the desert, on a snowy mountain or even during a busy city commute.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/switch. For more information about these events, visit http://www.nintendo.com/switch/events/.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U and Wiihome consoles, and Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo has sold more than 4.4 billion video games and more than 696 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Love how they are still pushing demos for it regardless of it being sold out

Generally a good amount of release date stock is reserved for store floors rather than pre-order. Also being sold out for a month can help, look at the wii. You want to keep pushing awareness no matter availability

18 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Generally a good amount of release date stock is reserved for store floors rather than pre-order. Also being sold out for a month can help, look at the wii. You want to keep pushing awareness no matter availability

Ps4. My local store only got "10" extra for the floor. Rest were reserves

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Ps4. My local store only got "10" extra for the floor. Rest were reserves

I'm looking more at general market stores like Walmart, Target, and TRU, the last of which isn't even taking preorders, and is solely doing floor stock

8 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

I'm looking more at general market stores like Walmart, Target, and TRU, the last of which isn't even taking preorders, and is solely doing floor stock

Walmart back when the wii came out. At my store we literally only got 30 in. And was sold out for like a month. Not saying it may be better but don't expect to come in day after launch and find one

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Walmart back when the wii came out. At my store we literally only got 30 in. And was sold out for like a month. Not saying it may be better but don't expect to come in day after launch and find one

Shrugs, I won't be able to tell myself, I live in a small town nearly 2 hours from the nearest walmart, and I know some local people who missed preorders that are hoping that the hometown shopko might get some stock in.

Also it seems that Costco may get some stock, as they already have the games in the system

11 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Didn't know costco carried games. I already got mines paid off. Just one week to go

Yep, and game prices tend to be GCU/Prime equivelent. Only carry the biggest games though, and what they carry vary, they stopped carrying 3DS's last summer.

4 hours ago, DiamondX said:

So, just making sure, this ''User ID'' is the thing you use to connect your Nintendo Account to the Switch?

It's your Nintendo Account username, so yes

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd it going to flop in japan? Or are there just more there.  here they are sold out. 8n japan they still have orders on all of them

We got opinions and reviews.

Polygon

Arthur Gies of Polygon called his time with the hardware “a roller coaster.” He thinks the Switch’s build quality is outstanding, and wrote that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks great despite the 720p display. He was also a fan of the minimalist interface.

The biggest problem? His left Joy-Con controller had a tendency to lose its connection to the console when docked and connected to a television.

The Good:

“The Nintendo Switch’s industrial design and build quality is easily the best thing Nintendo has ever put out, even accounting for the smooth simplicity of the Wii more than ten years ago.

“[T]he Switch’s UI and interface thus far is wonderfully minimalist and very fast.”

The Bad:

“The biggest current issue with the Switch is one of basic reliability… I’ve had repeated problems with the left Joy-Con controller partially or even completely losing sync from the Switch console while docked and connected to my television.”

TIME

TIME’s Matt Peckham also lauded the industrial design and the UI, and suggests that the Switch does fulfill the portable console dream it promises. He found that the battery drains quickly while playing Breath of the Wild (2.5 hours), but is mostly worried about the parts Nintendo hasn’t discussed yet.

The Good:

“Those disappointed by the Wii U's sluggish controls (myself included) can rest easy: Switch's operating environment is a full 180.”

“It's important to note how durable and substantial Switch feels, an unostentatious but strangely beautiful carbon-black slate that's like a blue collar version of an Apple product[.]”

The Bad: “Will it have a virtual console that's at least on par with Wii U's? Will eShop purchases carry over? How robust will the online service be? How does the upcoming mobile app work, and is it (along with a smartphone or tablet) complementary or mandatory? Will finding, friending and interacting with other players be as intuitive as rivals' approaches? And will Switch support any form of in-game accomplishments tied to a player profile?”

MORE: How to Claim Your Nintendo Switch User ID Now

Ars Technica

At Ars Technica, Kyle Orland experimented with the control methods and found his favorite variation is using the two Joy-Cons in separate hands, but also found it took time to get used to holding the controllers. He had one complaint about the build quality: the kickstand on his unit snapped off twice. Also, despite the USB Type-C port on the Switch, he had trouble getting it to work with an external battery pack (though that could be a fault of the charger or USB-C as a whole.

The Good:

“After years spent tolerating Nintendo portables with relatively low-res screens and big, pixelated graphical elements, the level of fine detail that can be held in your hands is a wonder.”

The Bad:

“In about two days of frequent use, that thin, roughly one-inch wide piece of plastic has already broken off two times under normal use.”

“I thought the Switch's USB-C charging port would mean I could use any standard external battery pack to charge the system... That charge was so weak that, during normal gameplay, the Switch actually died on me while it was still plugged in to the external battery pack.”

Credit: Sam Rutherford / Tom's Guide
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PLzQvNjQ0OTgwL29yaWdpbmFsL05pbnRlbmRvLXN3aXRjaC1sZWFkLmpwZw==

Kotaku

Kotaku editor-in-chief Stephen Totilo said that two other Kotaku writers had the same issue as Polygon: the left Joy-Con falls out of sync. Still, he called the machine a “marvel” and said he preferred using it without a TV. But like many other reviewers, he was limited by the fact that Nintendo only sent one game over. While the UI is responsive, Totilo thought it needed a bit of more whimsy.

The Good:

“[It] is damn impressive that you can pull the Switch from its TV holder and immediately have the game running on the screen that is now in your hands.”

The Bad:

“My colleagues Jason and Kirk have used the controllers detached and they report a problem: the left Joy-Con sometimes fails to perfectly track their movements in the Zelda game. It seems to lose sync.”

“Sony can get away with making the PlayStation feel like an appliance, but I expect something more playful from Nintendo. “

The Verge

At The Verge, Chris Plante called the Switch an “exceptional piece of hardware,” but has a lot of questions about how many games it will play and what the online experience will be like. He found that the battery drained quickly, making it better for lounging around the house than long flights. Plante also noticed that while the ads make it look easy to snap the controllers on and off, that’s not the case in reality.

The Good:

“I am happy to say the dual joysticks do the best job of any mainstream portable console at delivering precision close enough to a traditional controller.”

“Nintendo has fit a smorgasbord of inputs onto the Switch’s tiny physical real estate with the skill and efficiency of a longtime Manhattan studio apartment dweller: every surface and corner has its purpose.”

The Bad:

“I strongly recommend doing the maneuver [of releasing the Joy-Cons] over a table or while sitting on a very soft couch, lest you drop the machine altogether with a loud crack.”

“I can say from firsthand experience that the battery depleted to half-full in the time it took to watch an episode of The Bachelor — a little under two hours.”

“A little over a week from launch, I can’t tell you a single thing about what it’s like to download games, play online with friends, or even format a microSD card. That is absurd.”

So first off, those are previews, not reviews, second off the online services aren't up yet, so of course they can't review them, that's true of any system prelaunch

Big news that may have been missed:

http://nintendoeverything.com/nindies-showcase-presentation-set-for-tuesday-fast-shovel-knight-for-switch-launch-no-vc-at-release/

There will be a Nindies presentation on Tuesday. Tons of indie games will likely be announced there. Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained will definitely be there in some form, I wager. Nintendo also confirmed that there will be no VC at launch and more details will be announced "in the future." Disappointing but expected. 

Fast RMX and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove have been confirmed as lanuch titles. 

Worldwide, this looks to be the final launch lineup:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
Just Dance 2017
Human Resource Machine
I Am Setsuna
Little Inferno
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Skylanders: Imaginators
Super Bomberman R
World of Goo
Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
Puyo Puyo Tetris 
Disgaea 5

Very nice. Much, much better than that pathetic launch lineup that was seen in the presentation.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

So first off, those are previews, not reviews, second off the online services aren't up yet, so of course they can't review them, that's true of any system prelaunch

preview or not the battery life does suck. I just hope the sync issues are not as bad as they say

The sync issues are likely due to low bluetooth signal, easily fixed at the expense of battery life, I'd wager. Also, the issues apparently only occur when more than six feet away from the console.

• Thumbs Up 1

How long do you guys think it will be before we get Sonic Adventure, SA2: Battle, and Sonic Heroes ports on the Switch? Being able to finally take these games on the go would be a dream come true.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=230917855

Can now also add Snipperclips to that launch lineup, at least in Japan, though making a Japanese Nintendo ID is no longer a problem. Given how Snipperclips has been near universally praised in previews, I think it's fair to say this is actually a passable launch lineup. From my knowledge, there is not a single bad game in that list.

Not gonna lie, the Switch videos flooding my YouTube sub box today really helped ignite the hype for me again, to the point I'd actually consider trying to find one at launch (I think it's unlikely at this point, however). That said, one concern I have is that, while I'm committed to getting this system, I'm not sure if I should at this stage. As far as launch goes, there's Zelda, which I've considered getting for Wii U already but may change if I decide to go for a Switch earlier than I planned, and maybe I Am Setsuna (little unclear if this will have a packaged release or if it's digital-only?), since I obviously need more RPGs in my backlog. Shovel Knight's a maybe, as I've never played it before and I think there's no point in buying it for Wii U at this point if I didn't bother with it already. Those aside, it doesn't seem like the system will really take off until Autumn. I just bought MK8 last Summer and I can't justify the double-dip at this point. Splatoon is a cool IP, but not a game I'm really going to play. End of the year is looking the most exciting thanks to Sonic, Mario Odyssey, and hopefully Xenoblade 2.

I dunno, I'm on the fence about being an early adopter and I'm sure I'm discounting quite a few other things, but I'm still questioning if it's worth it right now considering my play habits.

Weird at this point if Snipperclips doesn't make launch in NA.

EDIT: I've basically decided myself I'd much rather try and get a Switch at launch than purchase Zelda on Wii U and get a Switch later. I've already got Zelda on Wii U as is, and if I leave early, I might be able to get a Switch early next Friday. Most Gamestops should have some in store at launch, and Wal-Mart may as well. My local Gamestop didn't even sell all their preorders (so the preorders got sent to other locations instead).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Not gonna lie, the Switch videos flooding my YouTube sub box today really helped ignite the hype for me again, to the point I'd actually consider trying to find one at launch (I think it's unlikely at this point, however). That said, one concern I have is that, while I'm committed to getting this system, I'm not sure if I should at this stage. As far as launch goes, there's Zelda, which I've considered getting for Wii U already but may change if I decide to go for a Switch earlier than I planned, and maybe I Am Setsuna (little unclear if this will have a packaged release or if it's digital-only?), since I obviously need more RPGs in my backlog. Shovel Knight's a maybe, as I've never played it before and I think there's no point in buying it for Wii U at this point if I didn't bother with it already. Those aside, it doesn't seem like the system will really take off until Autumn. I just bought MK8 last Summer and I can't justify the double-dip at this point. Splatoon is a cool IP, but not a game I'm really going to play. End of the year is looking the most exciting thanks to Sonic, Mario Odyssey, and hopefully Xenoblade 2.

I dunno, I'm on the fence about being an early adopter and I'm sure I'm discounting quite a few other things, but I'm still questioning if it's worth it right now considering my play habits.

I am Setsuna is Digital only in the west. Disgea 5 will be out in May, and that'll be a time sink, Also Yooka-Laylee and Snake Pass also come out in the next 2 months, and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

preview or not the battery life does suck. I just hope the sync issues are not as bad as they say

Battery life is great, it's on par with both the Vita and 3DS despite being a far more intensive system, and you can extend it indefinitely with Battery Packs